Thor and Magnis Strength

#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

now thor is one of the strongest characters in the MU so stroung that he can destroy planets with a single punch and be able to lift the midguard serpent. So saying that if magni where brought in to the MU main story i would guess he strngth woud be FIVe time that of thor cause in the mythology magni is physicaly stronger than his father at a young age so if marvel did bring magni back do you think they would stay true to the original mythos.

Online
#2 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely think that Magni, as a fully mature adult god and the Asgardian God of Strength, should be stronger than Thor.

Not much stronger, though. Maybe only about as much stronger than Thor as Hercules is; able to lift 5 or so more tons.

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: yea i dout they would make him like uber strong but i would say he would be able to lift about 15 tons more rather than 5 tons more.
Online
#4 Posted by fps_dean (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell he's the god of strength, he could theoretically be 50% stronger or something like that.....

#5 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7162 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:


                   

I definitely think that Magni, as a fully mature adult god and the Asgardian God of Strength, should be stronger than Thor.

Not much stronger, though. Maybe only about as much stronger than Thor as Hercules is; able to lift 5 or so more tons.



                   

               

 
Thor and Hercules probably don't even have that big and strength difference which isn't saying much because of how ridiculosly high the amounts of weight they can lift is.  
 
 
Magni was in the reighning and used Thor's hammer he was very very strong. but he didn't display any feats that would make him as strong as his Father.
#6 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thor's hammmer said:

@PowerHerc said:

I definitely think that Magni, as a fully mature adult god and the Asgardian God of Strength, should be stronger than Thor.

Not much stronger, though. Maybe only about as much stronger than Thor as Hercules is; able to lift 5 or so more tons.

Thor and Hercules probably don't even have that big and strength difference which isn't saying much because of how ridiculosly high the amounts of weight they can lift is. Magni was in the reighning and used Thor's hammer he was very very strong. but he didn't display any feats that would make him as strong as his Father.

Your points are valid.

Still, I believe that a fully matured Magni, as the Asgardian God of Strength, should and would be stronger than his father, Thor.

I don't think Thor would mind.

Thor grew to be physically stronger than his father, Odin, and most parents want their children to have more success and a better life than they had, so I think Thor would actually want Magni to be stronger than he is.

#7 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7162 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@Thor's hammmer said:

@PowerHerc said:

I definitely think that Magni, as a fully mature adult god and the Asgardian God of Strength, should be stronger than Thor.

Not much stronger, though. Maybe only about as much stronger than Thor as Hercules is; able to lift 5 or so more tons.

Thor and Hercules probably don't even have that big and strength difference which isn't saying much because of how ridiculosly high the amounts of weight they can lift is. Magni was in the reighning and used Thor's hammer he was very very strong. but he didn't display any feats that would make him as strong as his Father.

Your points are valid.

Still, I believe that a fully matured Magni, as the Asgardian God of Strength, should and would be stronger than his father, Thor.

I don't think Thor would mind.

Thor grew to be physically stronger than his father, Odin, and most parents want their children to have more success and a better life than they had, so I think Thor would actually want Magni to be stronger than he is.


 
I have no doubt that Thor would be overjoyed to see his son grow into the Strongest warrior asgarg had ever seen.
#8 Posted by Larkin1388 (1733 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

I definitely think that Magni, as a fully mature adult god and the Asgardian God of Strength, should be stronger than Thor.

Not much stronger, though. Maybe only about as much stronger than Thor as Hercules is; able to lift 5 or so more tons.

I agree.
#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer: marvel has stayed true to the original mytos to a degree  so magni would probally be stronger than his dad and like power herc when he is a fully matyred adult.
Online
#10 Posted by warlord1234 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because Magnis is the god of strength does not mean he should be stronger Thor is also the god of strength. In norse mythology Thor was the god of thunder, lighting , war, strength and fertility.
#11 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio
@warlord1234
 
Thor is rarely if ever classified as a god of strength.  He was respected for his great strength, but storms and fertility were his main areas.  Even as a child Magni was stronger than Thor w/belt of strength.
#12 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio
@warlord1234: he was not to the god of strength or war but he was the god of thunder and fertility
Online
#13 Posted by warlord1234 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio
@seekquaze said:
@warlord1234:   Thor is rarely if ever classified as a god of strength.  He was respected for his great strength, but storms and fertility were his main areas.  Even as a child Magni was stronger than Thor w/belt of strength.
He was they god of strength I read a long time ago in the library. It just that all the other things he lord over overshadowed he his identity has the god of strength.
#14 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

now thor is one of the strongest characters in the MU so stroung that he can destroy planets with a single punch and be able to lift the midguard serpent. So saying that if magni where brought in to the MU main story i would guess he strngth woud be FIVe time that of thor cause in the mythology magni is physicaly stronger than his father at a young age so if marvel did bring magni back do you think they would stay true to the original mythos.

well Thor is the Asgardian God of strength the way Hades is the god of the dead and god of wealth.. extremly powerfull gods have more than one domain ... i dont even think magni is stronger than papi

#15 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt said:

well Thor is the Asgardian God of strength the way Hades is the god of the dead and god of wealth.. extremly powerfull gods have more than one domain ... i dont even think magni is stronger than papi

Often in mythology you have one major god who has multiple domains and lesser gods who form their retinue. In Greek myth, Apollo is the god of healing and music among many other things. Yet his son Ascelpius is the god of healing. The Muses are goddesses of music who are under the command of Apollo.

In Thor's case, both Magni and he are gods of strength. Yet for Magni that is he specific field and one you might call on for aid in the physical strength department.

#16 Posted by Enyalios (142 posts) - - Show Bio

First, Magni is not the god of strength in Norse mythology. He is not the god of anything. Odin does not even seem to consider him an Aesir, calling him the mere son of a giant (which is funny considering most of his children, including Thor, are the sons of giants). Nor is it suggested anywhere that he is stronger than Thor.

"But his name means strength, like Thor's means Thunder". So? Thor has two daughters, both of whom's names mean power, another son whose name means Angry or Wrath and a step-son who's name means Glory. None of these are the gods of those elements (the later, Uller, is considered by most to be the god of archery and skiing). Most modern scholars view it more as the fact that all of his children have names related to attributes of their father. Hell, Thor's home is called the hall of strength.

"But he was able to lift a giant that Thor or any other god couldn't." No, he was able to lift a giant's leg that had fallen on the back of Thor's neck. Let's think for a second exactly how big and how heavy that would have to be to pin someone who can juggle whales in the myths. Then remember that, according to the myths it fell on the back of Thor's neck. Take something large and heavy that you would otherwise be able to lift and have it fall on your back, your arms and legs are going to be pinned, meaning you have no leverage to post yourself let alone lift it off you. This is not a sign of weakness its a sign of lack of possition. Now the myth does show that Magni was stronger than the other gods present, but then so was Thor, and Thor never does get the chance to try to lift. Also remember that this is the one myth, the one story that Magni appears in, so this is his only feat of strength. Thor has numerous, from destroying mountains to lifting multiple whales at once to pulling the Midgard Serpent out of the water. Magni has his work cut out for him if he is going to match his father.

Does this mean that Magni can't be stronger than his father or that he may not one day be? No, but you are not going to find a justification for it in myths and legends.

@z3ro180: Thor was pretty much the god of everything. His worshippers prayed to him for strength in battle, a successful harvest, success at marriage, successful sea voyages. He was the god that oaths were sworn to and who was prayed to for vengeance. He was prayed to for protection. It was Thor and his symbol not anyone elses's that competed with Christianity and the cross symbol. Some Christian priests even prayed to him. He's called the god of Thunder because that's his name, but his spere of influence was much greater.

@powerherc: Again Hercules is not shown to be stronger than Hercules. Every flat out contest of strength between the two has shown them as equals. Also, Thor was stronger than his father, this is true, but the odds of Magni being stronger than Thor, based on past showings, are pretty slim. Thor is stronger than Odin because, thanks to his mother Gaia he is a purer strain of god, one step removed from Gaia. All of the Asgardians have shown to grow weaker in successive generations. Balder and Tyr are both slightly weaker than Odin and significantly weaker than Thor. Every other Asgardian is weaker than they are. Tyr was considered the mightiest warrior in Asgard before the loss of his and and the coming of Thor. And Thor with the Odin Force was barely a match for Bor whereas Odin at full power humbles Thor with relative ease. Magni's mother in the comics is Amora who has a claim at superhuman strength by virtue of being an Asgardian but is likely the physically weakest of the goddesses. He is probably stronger than any other Asgardian, but odds are he is not going to surpass the full strength of Thor.

#17 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@enyalios said:

First, Magni is not the god of strength in Norse mythology. He is not the god of anything. Odin does not even seem to consider him an Aesir, calling him the mere son of a giant (which is funny considering most of his children, including Thor, are the sons of giants). Nor is it suggested anywhere that he is stronger than Thor.

"But his name means strength, like Thor's means Thunder". So? Thor has two daughters, both of whom's names mean power, another son whose name means Angry or Wrath and a step-son who's name means Glory. None of these are the gods of those elements (the later, Uller, is considered by most to be the god of archery and skiing). Most modern scholars view it more as the fact that all of his children have names related to attributes of their father. Hell, Thor's home is called the hall of strength.

"But he was able to lift a giant that Thor or any other god couldn't." No, he was able to lift a giant's leg that had fallen on the back of Thor's neck. Let's think for a second exactly how big and how heavy that would have to be to pin someone who can juggle whales in the myths. Then remember that, according to the myths it fell on the back of Thor's neck. Take something large and heavy that you would otherwise be able to lift and have it fall on your back, your arms and legs are going to be pinned, meaning you have no leverage to post yourself let alone lift it off you. This is not a sign of weakness its a sign of lack of possition. Now the myth does show that Magni was stronger than the other gods present, but then so was Thor, and Thor never does get the chance to try to lift. Also remember that this is the one myth, the one story that Magni appears in, so this is his only feat of strength. Thor has numerous, from destroying mountains to lifting multiple whales at once to pulling the Midgard Serpent out of the water. Magni has his work cut out for him if he is going to match his father.

Does this mean that Magni can't be stronger than his father or that he may not one day be? No, but you are not going to find a justification for it in myths and legends.

@z3ro180: Thor was pretty much the god of everything. His worshippers prayed to him for strength in battle, a successful harvest, success at marriage, successful sea voyages. He was the god that oaths were sworn to and who was prayed to for vengeance. He was prayed to for protection. It was Thor and his symbol not anyone elses's that competed with Christianity and the cross symbol. Some Christian priests even prayed to him. He's called the god of Thunder because that's his name, but his spere of influence was much greater.

@powerherc: Again Hercules is not shown to be stronger than Hercules. Every flat out contest of strength between the two has shown them as equals. Also, Thor was stronger than his father, this is true, but the odds of Magni being stronger than Thor, based on past showings, are pretty slim. Thor is stronger than Odin because, thanks to his mother Gaia he is a purer strain of god, one step removed from Gaia. All of the Asgardians have shown to grow weaker in successive generations. Balder and Tyr are both slightly weaker than Odin and significantly weaker than Thor. Every other Asgardian is weaker than they are. Tyr was considered the mightiest warrior in Asgard before the loss of his and and the coming of Thor. And Thor with the Odin Force was barely a match for Bor whereas Odin at full power humbles Thor with relative ease. Magni's mother in the comics is Amora who has a claim at superhuman strength by virtue of being an Asgardian but is likely the physically weakest of the goddesses. He is probably stronger than any other Asgardian, but odds are he is not going to surpass the full strength of Thor.

Dude your Thor facts are on point and are 100% trueee AGREED 100

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.