Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor and Hyperion book

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Would it be interesting to have a book just as a team up of the 2.

i wouldn't mind to see one. i have enjoyed the issues of when they are together

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fear they are too white and too male to get a marvel title these days

But seriously Marvel, make it happen heh

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love that.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, that's o.k., Marvel would probably go all Brokeback Mountain with it. :S

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Poor Hercules, Hyperion replaced him

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: No one can replace the prince of power. Herc is just on an intergalactic drinking session until he is needed.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do agree they make a good hero team. Just um please keep Thor's arms and legs in the future.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By titing2101

wish they would! hope people will suggest it to marvel :)

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this happens.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be very cool, personally i always wanted a Hulk and Thor team up book. We constantly argue about them fighting each other but for once i would want to see the 2 of them work together... and if Batman and Superman can have a shared title why wouldn't the 2 of them? Needless to say even Hyperion and Thor would also be very fun.

It's kind of a shame... if you look at solicitations there are about a gazillion avenger titles coming out in April and May.... i understand the movie is coming out but a single mini-series of a team up would be fun. Heck you could have had Doc Green, Hyperion and Thor, that would have been cool.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaveAtThee

@atheistknowledge: Any panels I've seen between the two shows a lot of dialogue and "commanding presence" from Thor whereas Hyperion is the strong, silent type. For those more versed in Hyperion stories, is that consistent with his character? I get the "Superman ripoff" label, but I'm just curious as to what type of character he is, personality-wise. Understandably, Thor is your typical braggadocios alpha-male who is not shy about being opinionated or providing color commentary. It wouldn't be a stretch to have Thor being the "emotional leader" of the pairing. The problem with someone like Hyperion is that unless they're a main character in a group setting, you wont really get to delve into the character and flesh him out without detracting too much from a team setting.

And I'll also second the Thor/Hulk team-up story. Thankfully, Marvel has moved away from their rivalry and slugfest-mania stuff. I think it would be a refreshing and compelling story having the two behemoths team up for an adventure. For my tastes, Mark Waid would be the perfect scribe (or perhaps Peter David) to write a bombastic, old-school take on the two. I enjoyed those couple of issues where Hulk went into the distant past and teamed up with Thor to take on some frost giants. The dialogue was fun without being too cheesy but also kept with the "voice" of the two characters.

Marvel should at least try and resurrect a Team-Up title where they can just tell standalone stories with two characters. Not everything has to be a huge team-up or crossover event.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: I think a Thor and Hyperion book would be better, because during time runs out hyperion has moved away from the strong silent type persona and has a good bit of banter with thor. So a book set with Thorand Hyperion after secret wars would be amazing. I think a Thor and Hulk book would just become a smash first talk later kinda book.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180:

It all depends who's writing the story. Again, I think there are very few TRUE superhero scribes left at Marvel. Writers who can balance high-concept themes and down-to-earth dialogue.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: Johnathan Hickman, Jason Aaron and Mark Waid along with Dan Abnett can do such a thing.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee:

To be honest i haven't seen Hyperion grow much of a personality but then again i haven't been following him closely. And from the past Hyperion i just know King Hyperion who was a douche lol.

If you ask me i would like Waid to stay as far away from Hulk as possible, i really hated his run on the Hulk at the end but Peter David would be great i love that mans work and he respects all characters equally.

@z3ro180:

Well seeing as current Hulk is Doc Green he really is not into smashing as weird as it sounds for a Hulk. He is a total science freak...

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Hickman has big ideas but I found his work to be rather dull and decompressed. I do like the more serious tone his books have as he writes more elaborate dialogue, but barely anything really happens in his stories. Plus his story (Avengers specifically) felt too focused on conceptuality and plot rather than the characters he was dealing with. Aaron has a knack for writing fun and bombast but he also has the Bendis trait of having his characters rather one-note. His work feels to me way too grounded for superhero stories (and I enjoyed elements of the GoT run). Waid and Abnett I absolutely agree about.

The current business model at Marvel also doesn't seem to lend itself well to a more focused, self-contained title with an in-depth story. They are obsessed with their team books and crossover events. Not a lot of time to really delve into a character and his/her world. Heck, they haven't cared about continuity for so long, I think it would be interesting if they did a limited series book with various characters and just tell specific stories with them. Like a 12-24 issue maxi-series or something of the sort.

@atheistknowledge said:

@haveatthee:

To be honest i haven't seen Hyperion grow much of a personality but then again i haven't been following him closely. And from the past Hyperion i just know King Hyperion who was a douche lol.

If you ask me i would like Waid to stay as far away from Hulk as possible, i really hated his run on the Hulk at the end but Peter David would be great i love that mans work and he respects all characters equally.

I also thought his Hulk run was a bit disjointed. I think he gave an interview where he also said he was not a huge fan of the Hulk. He probably should not have been writing the book. Those 2-3 issues he did with Simonson, however, with the Hulk/Thor team-up were pretty fun though. Sure, Waid like anyone else probably has character preferences but generally speaking, he can write a kick-ass superhero story.

I was first exposed to Peter David by his run on Captain Marvel with Genis-Veil. That was a cool book.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: I resally don't like the idea of a thor hulk story, mainly because I don't like how every writer gives banner a new hulk persona. Hyperion could be a great fit along with hercules.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: if there ever was a Thor and Hyperion comic I do think Waid would e a better fit. He knows how to write powerhouses and fantastic adventures. Also since Hyperion is basically marvels Superman (sentry does not count there can be only one) it would be amazing.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Not every writer gives him a new persona and hey we all have our preferences.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: Yea he really didn't know how to write the character and honestly what i have seen from him he is pretty bad at writing powerhouses i know a lot of Superman fans complained about this.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: that's why I don't like the hulk way to many hulk personas. I would very much like it if they had one hulk persona kinda like hulk from the avengers cartoon.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@z3ro180: You see i am the opposite i love the Hulk because of the different personas they bring all kinds of variety to the character and make it more interesting. I mean i just wouldn't like the Hulk the same if i never knew Joe Fixit or Green Scar or Maestro or many others.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coolcat4

ya i like their relationship in the avengers books so far. i wasn't expecting to like Hyperion as much as i do but their relationship has made me like him.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel should at least try and resurrect a Team-Up title where they can just tell standalone stories with two characters. Not everything has to be a huge team-up or crossover event.

I actually like this idea, though I don't know that those old team-up / two-in-one books sold as well or consistently. A maxi-series like you also mentioned, maybe 12 issues tops, sounds interesting and I'd be all for a Thor/Hulk team-up rather than having them slug it out yet again. btw, what series was the Thor/Hulk story with Peter David and Walt Simonson? Oddly enough I ran across a couple of panels from it last night while perusing old threads in the Thor forum, looked kind of fun.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: It was three issues with Mark Waid and Walt Simonson in the Indestructible Hulk series. It was a nice, fun relatively self-contained story where Banner/Hulk traveled through time (in the distant past) with a scientific team thanks to learning the elements that composes Uru metal. This was before Thor was banished to Midgard into the Don Blake persona. It was refreshing to see Hulk and Thor interact without resorting to fisticuffs.

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: please take the names "Jason" and "Aaron" and keep them at at least a 100 mile radius of touching or doing a thing to anything titled "THOR" featuring the only TRUE Asgardian Prince Thor. Thank you.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan: stop trying to be a hipster, the only reason you don't like Jason Aaron is because you think it's cool to hate on the new thor.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

would be interesting...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.