Thor and Hulk

#1 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a piece recently where it was said that Thor and Hulk have the bitterest rivalry in Marvel of all the powerhouses. So are any of you Thor fans, also fans of Hulk, or is it a kind of Ford and Chevvy thing?

#2 Posted by Hel (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I love Hulk.

I grew up watching The Incredible Hulk TVseries (the1978-1982 that is) and a relative of mine had the comics. Spent a great deal of my childhood there reading through her (small) collection of Hulk and She-Hulk so its been a favourite character of mine for quite some time.

I might prefer Thor but I love seeing guest appearances of both characters in their respective comics, so no. I have no problem with Hulk whatsoever

#3 Posted by Doomnaut (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

Love them both. I like Hulk just a little bit more.

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18673 posts) - - Show Bio


I adore the Hulk, he's my top Number one favorite character. I like Thor, but he's not one of my favorites. However, despite me always cheering for hulk to win, i respect thor greatly as a character and therefore would like him to be beaten fairly in a good fight.

Plus you guys better keep this thread going before Citizenbane comes back with his hulk/thor lover Jokes.

#5 Posted by phisigmatau (554 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor

its not even close. Don't have the energy to debate this though

#6 Edited by Fernando072295REBORN (502 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone has different opinions, different preferences,and it's those preferences that lead to liking one over the other.

But here's why I like Thor so much more over Hulk

-Story: Just compare the two. A scientist caught in a gamma bomb which gave him an incredibly strong alter ego and a Prince of Asgard the Golden realm, wielding the most powerful weapon of the gods and protector of the 9 realms. Son of All Father Odin and Earth Mother Gaea.

-Powers: Hulk's super strong, heals, gains strength over time, hard to injure, etc. While the list of powers Thor doesn't have is probably shorter than the alternative. He can do, anything.

-Character: A good chunk of Hulk's career was spent with him barking out two words and throwing temper tantrums. I honestly have a hard time seeing how people liked him so much. Green Scar is infinitely better in my opinion and what the natural progression of the Hulk always should've been. Thor on the other hand can mix elegance with savagery.

In my opinion, it's impossible to like a character like Hulk more than Thor. But that's what it is. An opinion. I'm sure people would think all the opposite as Hulk fans. :p

Also come at me CitizenBane. You're ducking me man.

#7 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor and Hulk are my second and third favourite Marvel characters and my 5th and 7th favourite superheroes respectively. Both have compelling back stories; one a scientist who when exposed to gamma radiation manifests his inner anger and rage into an unstoppable behemoth and the other a god who learns humility on Earth by living amongst them as a cripple only to rediscover his power and become a protector of both worlds. Both have interesting characteristics, Bruce is a troubled man yet strives to use his doubts and shortcomings for good and Thor is a noble, honourable warrior willing to sacrifice his life to protect Midgard or Asgard. And both have awesome powers. The Hulk is the strongest one there is and Thor wields one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.

It's not much that separates them but Thor's nobility and honour to do right and follow the path of justice is what I prefer about him to the Hulk. He shows a great degree of humility and humanity too which comes to the forefront in JMS' run, my favourite Thor run of all.

#8 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Thor and Hulk are my second and third favourite Marvel characters and my 5th and 7th favourite superheroes respectively. Both have compelling back stories; one a scientist who when exposed to gamma radiation manifests his inner anger and rage into an unstoppable behemoth and the other a god who learns humility on Earth by living amongst them as a cripple only to rediscover his power and become a protector of both worlds. Both have interesting characteristics, Bruce is a troubled man yet strives to use his doubts and shortcomings for good and Thor is a noble, honourable warrior willing to sacrifice his life to protect Midgard or Asgard. And both have awesome powers. The Hulk is the strongest one there is and Thor wields one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.

It's not much that separates them but Thor's nobility and honour to do right and follow the path of justice is what I prefer about him to the Hulk. He shows a great degree of humility and humanity too which comes to the forefront in JMS' run, my favourite Thor run of all.

I'm still quite new with Thor stories, I assume JMS is an older run of stories, what's the full title please so I can look it up. PS, I agree with what you say about both of them.

#9 Edited by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: JMS' run is actually from 2007 so it's fairly recent edition. I can't find the trade name but here are all the issues to JMS' Thor run.

#10 Edited by Teerack (7413 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them both.

#11 Posted by Plax (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is my favourite comic book character. I like Hulk but there's a lot more character I would rank on my list above him.

#12 Posted by ChristhecomicPunk (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Like them both, though I like Thor more.

#13 Posted by Experio (17120 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor will always been my favorite and he always will but I have great respect for the Hulk. Stan Lee stated he got the idea for Hulk from Frankenstein, how they all hunt the monster down even when the monster is the is the good guy. But I have always found Thor more interesting being the Son of Odin, Prince of Asgard and protector of Midgard. I also like his English and the way he disobeys Odin for Earths sake

#14 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy both characters equally. Not one over the other.

#15 Posted by HaveAtThee (574 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually would find it refreshing to see the two team up as opposed to constantly getting into a fight. A bit too typical.

#16 Edited by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both characters but I like Thor far more.

#17 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@bezza: JMS' run is actually from 2007 so it's fairly recent edition. I can't find the trade name but here are all the issues to JMS' Thor run.

I'm with you now. Just looked up Volume 1 Thor TP by JMS on Amazon and an American seller is doing it for £1.50 plus £2.80 postage, so that will be my next purcashe

#18 Edited by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

@lvenger said:

@bezza: JMS' run is actually from 2007 so it's fairly recent edition. I can't find the trade name but here are all the issues to JMS' Thor run.

I'm with you now. Just looked up Volume 1 Thor TP by JMS on Amazon and an American seller is doing it for £1.50 plus £2.80 postage, so that will be my next purcashe

Hope you enjoy it. It's the run that got me into Thor and is one of the best on the character.

#19 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

#20 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12273 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both characters but I like Thor far more.

#21 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

i think they have the best rivalry in all of the comic universe.

next to maybe crapman and superman.

#22 Posted by HaveAtThee (574 posts) - - Show Bio

Their rivalry really dissipated after Thor's "death" in 2004 right before the whole World War Hulk stuff. Thor would've been the logical choice to confront Hulk during that period and it could've really been a climactic moment in their relationship, but he wasn't around and Sentry was there to take him on. Since Thor's return in 2007 their confrontations have been rather fleeting. Thanks to the film now it's an overused comical moment when they start brawling. Not sure if you can further their rivalry now that they're teammates, which is why I feel the logical choice would be if they began working together more often and perhaps went on an adventure and had a team-up. It's a bit tired when the only reason they would fight now is for "bragging rights" or due to some outside interference like mind-control. There's really no reason for them to get into a fight unless one of them snaps and makes a huge mistake or turns on the team.

#23 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@haveatthee: you make a good point

And that's why I think Indestrcutible Hulk handled their relationship so well. It was Thor's amusement in meeting such a powerful mortal, and him thnking he could carry Mjolnir and their subsequent team up. I like their rivalry being a friendly one and also think its logical that they'd team up. After reading those Hulk issues I can only wonder why they haven't thought to team them up more? It's a crowd pleaser having those two titans working side by side.

#24 Edited by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always enjoyed the 'Hercules vs Thor' rivalry more.

#25 Edited by HaveAtThee (574 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a cool photo. Thor and Hercules' rivalry is a fun, friendly one that should remind everyone of college years. A mini-series featuring Asgard and Olympus together would be an entertaining-as-hell read.

#26 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I think Hulk and Thor are a great match, they were always written to be the strongest marvel heroes (Surfer is all round most powerful imo) and why shouldn't they compliment each other. They're a far better match than Shazam and Superman who for me are just too similar in all round power and ability. with Thor and Hulk, Hulk has arguably more brute strength, but Thor's all round powers and mjolnir even it up. I thought the film did quite well actually in showing them to be evenly matched. It was pretty obvious that Thor was holding back a bit in their first encounter (the one whack he gave Hulk with Mjolnir showed what he could really do if pushed) and I like the way they took it in turns to destroy those giant space whale things...

#27 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

For Asgard!

#28 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: hmm while I would agree that Hulk's potential brute strength could outreach Thor's, the god of thunder's powers do more than even it up. Thor's powers tilt the advantage in his favor. Thor was created to be more powerful, and when taking all his powers and abilities into account, it's hard to argue otherwise.

But you are right about Thor holding back. We rarely see him let loose on somebody but when he does he makes people look like an utter joke. I submit his schooling of Iron Man in mere moments as evidence. But there's probably way better examples.

#29 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@thundergodswrath: Aye, friend! I can seldom imagine a place where the mead flows like running brooks and the woman dost make such warm company as they do in Asgard. Let us cheers, to Odin!

#30 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@bezza: hmm while I would agree that Hulk's potential brute strength could outreach Thor's, the god of thunder's powers do more than even it up. Thor's powers tilt the advantage in his favor. Thor was created to be more powerful, and when taking all his powers and abilities into account, it's hard to argue otherwise.

But you are right about Thor holding back. We rarely see him let loose on somebody but when he does he makes people look like an utter joke. I submit his schooling of Iron Man in mere moments as evidence. But there's probably way better examples.

I certainly agree with you and was thinking that if Thor really didn't hold back and let rip with mjolnir he would probably beat Hulk to death. I mean in Thor GodBomb, Mjolnir was destroying asteroids....equally I suppose it can be said that one of Hulks big punches is more than capable of knocking Thor for six, hence I guess why their encounters are generally engineered to be draws. I guess it would be a bit boring if Thor was allowed to just run riot and kill Marvel's mightiest mortal!

#31 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: oh definitely. That's why the fights are always fun to see. It's a great friendly rivalry they have. If one was significantly stronger than the other evrrytime it'd ruin that I think.

Plus Thor is prone to wanting to go toe to toe with people as that's his personality. He loves a good brawl haha

#32 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@thundergodswrath: Aye, friend! I can seldom imagine a place where the mead flows like running brooks and the woman dost make such warm company as they do in Asgard. Let us cheers, to Odin!

Verily.

#33 Edited by CHE_GUEVARA (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor vs hulk?

citizens of the place where the combat is happening,quickly evacuate, two "friends " are having a "little quarrel. "

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.