Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Copy

yea i agree but even though people are not willing to kill doesn't mean they won't if they need to

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Valkaad

I read an interview Marvel spotlight did with Walt Simonson (as far as I'm concerned Thor's greatest writer/artist). He said he felt that no-one who has lifted Thor's hammer since Beta Ray should have been able to lift it. He feels that Mjolnir was originally created to kill frost giants period, and that to be worthy of the hammer you have to be a warrior who is not only honorable and "worthy", but also willing to kill your enemies. I used to feel that honorable people like Cap or Surfer should be able to wield it, but after reading the interview and thinking about the asgaridans and vikings in general I now agree with Simonson. Mjolnir is a weapon of destruction plain and simple, and the Asgardians are a warlike and battle hungry people. They are the gods of vikings who were slayers of men and pillagers of villages. Even in their heaven (valhalla) all you do is fight and kill people all day, then at the end of the day everyone is resurrected, feasts and rests up for battle again the next day. Mjolnir would "want" blood, and battle. It was made and would want not only to defeat enemies, but to slay them as well. Anyone who would not be ready for that would not be considered worthy. Anyone agree?

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By acewasp23

Valkaad says:

"I read an interview Marvel spotlight did with Walt Simonson (as far as I'm concerned Thor's greatest writer/artist). He said he felt that no-one who has lifted Thor's hammer since Beta Ray should have been able to lift it. He feels that Mjolnir was originally created to kill frost giants period, and that to be worthy of the hammer you have to be a warrior who is not only honorable and "worthy", but also willing to kill your enemies. I used to feel that honorable people like Cap or Surfer should be able to wield it, but after reading the interview and thinking about the asgaridans and vikings in general I now agree with Simonson. Mjolnir is a weapon of destruction plain and simple, and the Asgardians are a warlike and battle hungry people. They are the gods of vikings who were slayers of men and pillagers of villages. Even in their heaven (valhalla) all you do is fight and kill people all day, then at the end of the day everyone is resurrected, feasts and rests up for battle again the next day. Mjolnir would "want" blood, and battle. It was made and would want not only to defeat enemies, but to slay them as well. Anyone who would not be ready for that would not be considered worthy. Anyone agree?"

yeah as far as comics go i would agree. other wise i could never get into the comics because they have very little to do with the mythology. shit in that the frost giants were able to hide the hammer from thor.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Eternal Chaos

I agree entirely. Great post Val.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.