Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8580 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

This is annoying me.

• 77 results
    Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Pyrogram

Recently people (on this Thor board) have been saying Thor is not being portrayed strong enough, or get upset when he does not do feats like he "should" Yer, I want him to batter people, but if you only read Thor for his strength, STOP reading Thor comics, Thor is more than just a brute..

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@Pyrogram said:

Recently people (on this Thor board) have been saying Thor is not being portrayed strong enough, or get upset when he does not do feats like he "should" Yer, I want him to batter people, but if you only read Thor for his strength, STOP reading Thor comics, Thor is more than just a brute... If you want that go and read hulk or something.

I agree with all of that minus the last but. Hulk too is more than just a brute (when written well).

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pyrogram

@guttridgeb: @TheAcidSkull:

I was only making an example.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pyrogram

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Pyrogram said:

@guttridgeb: @TheAcidSkull:

I was only making an example.

i understand that, but thor is just like the hulk, both seem to be brutes but they have more to there character than just mere POWER! you'd correct me too if i said the same thing about thor ;)

Hulk is more done for the strength though, I do not read Hulk so I cannot complain, that is the difference in this situation, people complain who read Thor but I cannot complain against Hulk as I do not read Hulk.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

They should concentrate on his prowess in battle, he's a Viking warrior he should be able to fight like one

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By XLR87T3

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yeah. Give him a sword or an axe from time to time.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pyrogram

@TheAcidSkull: Thumbs up.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cmartin

thor strongest of the norse gods... it would be nice to see strength every now and then

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#14  Edited By TheCannon

I agree. There's much more to Thor than his strength.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pyrogram

@cmartin said:

thor strongest of the norse gods... it would be nice to see strength every now and then

If you actually read a comic instead of using the Wiki you may see it...

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cmartin

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

using wiki....???? what does making a dumb accusation have to do with thors strength.. i want to see thor depicted like classic thor strong.... simple as that

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By z3ro180

THOR SMASH

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pyrogram

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

using wiki....???? what does making a dumb accusation have to do with thors strength.. i want to see thor depicted like classic thor strong.... simple as that

If you have been reading comics which you obviously have not, "modern" Thor has higher feats. Go read a comic, simple as that.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By End_Boss

I don't know. I've been following the new Thor stuff and I haven't been disappointed with his combat prowess. I mean, he's either been fighting Gorr the God-Slayer (who he logically should have a tough time against, since, y'know, God-Slayer) or he's been fighting Gorr's minions, which he wrecks. It's not a contest when he fights those things, it's extermination. There's never a point where you think, "oh no! This minion might actually take down Thor!" and there shouldn't be. They're mindless beasts, he's the eternal God of Thunder trained in the combat halls of the Norse pantheon. Simple as that.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

@End_Boss said:

I don't know. I've been following the new Thor stuff and I haven't been disappointed with his combat prowess. I mean, he's either been fighting Gorr the God-Slayer (who he logically should have a tough time against, since, y'know, God-Slayer) or he's been fighting Gorr's minions, which he wrecks. It's not a contest when he fights those things, it's extermination. There's never a point where you think, "oh no! This minion might actually take down Thor!" and there shouldn't be. They're mindless beasts, he's the eternal God of Thunder trained in the combat halls of the Norse pantheon. Simple as that.

I remember Gorr giving Young Thor a pretty hard time...

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By End_Boss

@InnerVenom123: Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying! Gorr should totally give Thor a hard time (young, current, old, don't matter!). He's the villain of this arc, for one thing (and, I believe, is being set up in a nemesis position... Which is good. Thor needs more villains he has to actually try to beat down) and for another, the guy goes around murdering entire pantheons of gods just for kicks. He can't be a slouch in the combat department if he's pulling that off.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cmartin

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

If you have been reading comics which you obviously have not, "modern" Thor has higher feats. Go read a comic, simple as that.

you seem to be getting mad making personal that solves nothing... and i still would like to see modern thor use his fists and strength more.... if that upsets you.... have a cry in the bathtub tonight see if that helps

classic thor stalemated hulk in strength

lifted the midgard serpent etc

does anyone aside from pyrogram (he seems emotional at the moment) have ANY feats of modern thor doing anything strong.... feats without mjolnir....

please post

thanks

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pyrogram

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

you seem to be getting mad making personal that solves nothing... and i still would like to see modern thor use his fists and strength more.... if that upsets you.... have a cry in the bathtub tonight see if that helps

does anyone aside from pyrogram (he seems emotionalal at the moment) have ANY feats of modern thor doing anything strong.... feats without mjolnir....

please post

thanks

What do you define Modern, If you are a Thor fan you would realize they are the same Thor... Go read a comic.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cmartin

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin said:

does anyone aside from pyrogram (he seems emotionalal at the moment) have ANY feats of modern thor doing anything strong.... feats without mjolnir....

please post

thanks

What do you define Modern, If you are a Thor fan you would realize they are the same Thor... Go read a comic.

kid please nearly everyone has made the distinction...

between classic and modern

I didnt click your link btw

istead oy hurling insults post up the scans please of modern thor performing feats anywhere in the realm of lifting the serpent, fighing hulk many time hand to hand and juggernaut, or kurse...

bad him and bill lifting asgard i cannot thing of anything else......

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pyrogram

@cmartin: Why would I post scans when I linked you to a page FULL of scans...Do not be lazy.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@Pyrogram said:

Recently people (on this Thor board) have been saying Thor is not being portrayed strong enough, or get upset when he does not do feats like he "should" Yer, I want him to batter people, but if you only read Thor for his strength, STOP reading Thor comics, Thor is more than just a brute... If you want that go and read hulk or something.

I agree 100% with this. Thors best feats do not even involve his strength but his powers that are a variety. .

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cmartin

@Pyrogram: ok let me go look for these strength feats... im a thor collector well up until a few months ago..got fed up of seen thor jobbed. and i know there havent been many epic strength feats (without mjolnir) bar when him a bill moved asgard... which pales to classic thor feats... thor should be doing tht on his own and he still used the hammer in a way.. anyway let me look

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pyrogram

@cmartin said:

@Pyrogram: ok let me go look for these strength feats... im a thor collector well up until a few months ago..got fed up of seen thor jobbed. and i know there havent been many epic strength feats (without mjolnir) bar when him a bill moved asgard... which pales to classic thor feats... thor should be doing tht on his own and he still used the hammer in a way.. anyway let me look

You are one of the people this thread refers to, only reading for strength... This is a sad day for Thor fans..

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By comicace3

@Pyrogram: Agreed.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By joshmightbe

Well during AVX Thor was literally the only Avenger that was even capable of slowing the PF down, and the Phoenix is possibly more powerful than Galactus so him getting beat there wasn't nearly as humiliating as some people are claiming. But I understand because that arc pretty was pretty embarrassing to Marvel as a whole.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cmartin

read it all mjolnir.... not one feat without his hammer

thors strength is a factor of the character.... id like to see it used...and his hand to hand skills... the way he is written nowadays is just like a guy with a hammer and thats it bash bahs bash with the hammer........ and once he loses the hammer he is trounced.....

this is the mighty thor... he fights hulk no hammer to stalemeate later in the issue he decided ENOUGH and pulls the hammer thats EPIC to me....

No Caption Provided
    cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cmartin
    No Caption Provided

when was the last time thor punched anyone.... or grappled...... as a fan reading and owning thor comics from the 70's alllllllll the way up i just dont like the direction thor has taken.....

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cmartin: Chill out, Classic Thor=Current Thor

This is not DC. (Pre and New 52)

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cmartin

@The_Lunact_And_Manic:

i know it isnt fact just a term most comic thor fans use.... as im sure you know....

he just is not written the same....

thats all Im saying

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fifthchild

Some Thor fans grew up with the notion that Thor was as strong as the Hulk or might even be stronger and so he was basically "the best at everything" more or less in the Marvel Universe. However, over the years Marvel has gone from playing up ambiguity over who might be stronger to coming down on the Hulk's side of the equation. Its rarer these days to see Thor depicted as a strongman and more common for writers to see him as a warrior with a magical weapon. Its probably more pronounced in other forms of media but it seems to be increasingly the case in the main comics universe also.

I dont think thats an unreasonable distinction in the way Marvel portrays the two (Hulk = strongman | Thor = warrior) but some people grew up picturing Thor as Superman plus a magical hammer and so they arent happy with him being portrayed as less of a physical powerhouse. For other fans its not as important.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gravitypress

@Pyrogram:

While you are entitled to your opinion there have been great fluctuations recently in Thor's powers and personality. The people who make decisions at Marvel have also been making him a jobber more since his resurrection than his entire previous run combined. Nobody is saying he has to win all battles with one hit or anything but he shouldn't be disappointing either. To top it all off where the heck are his rogues gallery? I don't mind new bad guys to fight but I haven't seen him fight the usual fare in a years.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pyrogram

@gravitypress said:

@Pyrogram:

While you are entitled to your opinion there have been great fluctuations recently in Thor's powers and personality. The people who make decisions at Marvel have also been making him a jobber more since his resurrection than his entire previous run combined. Nobody is saying he has to win all battles with one hit or anything but he shouldn't be disappointing either. To top it all off where the heck are his rogues gallery? I don't mind new bad guys to fight but I haven't seen him fight the usual fare in a years.

That is a point, he has not fought his rouges for years...

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sommyt

@cmartin: I agree don't compare classic thor and modern ....crap modern thor got whooped by emma frost .with a tiny bit of phoneix ..classic thor took on full powered jean grey and took her attacks like nothing. .classic Thor was a beast

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pyrogram

@sommyt: Modern Thor jobs more, but has the highest feats. KOing galactus for example.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By selinaky

I agree with this. I love Thor's abilities, they're unique and awesome, but just as much a reason I like him is his personality, look and mythology. Even if he does job sometimes, Thor has shown some pretty amazing feats over the years anyway.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pyrogram

@Selinaky said:

I agree with this. I love Thor's abilities, they're unique and awesome, but just as much a reason I like him is his personality, look and mythology. Even if he does job sometimes, Thor has shown some pretty amazing feats over the years anyway.

This, His new title is the best Marvel Now anyways!

Sloucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sloucher

@Pyrogram said:

@Selinaky said:

This, His new title is the best Marvel Now anyways!

I agree with both of these.

Sinfulplayerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sinfulplayerx

I love both The Mighty Thor and The Indestructible Hulk for exactly the same reasons. Makes me sad in the pants when ignorant people down play them and accuse them of being one trick ponies. This is why "Respect Thread" are so much win. There is so much more to both these characters.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pyrogram

@Sinfulplayerx: well said

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Pyrogram: no offense, I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand, that I grew up with Thor. He's been one of my favorites since I was a child, and I have to admit they've been writing him poorly lately,and their is adrop off in strength in comparison to what I'm used to seeing and this hurts me alot. What I do loike now is that they are letting the character explore his world and beyond in the Marvel Now title. I miss the character dealing with his own problem and just popping up in the Avengers title in times of need. They need to give him back his full power, he's not the beat up guy they made him out to be in AVX, he's the victim of horrible writing like Cyclops!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pyrogram

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Pyrogram: no offense, I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand, that I grew up with Thor. He's been one of my favorites since I was a child, and I have to admit they've been writing him poorly lately,and their is adrop off in strength in comparison to what I'm used to seeing and this hurts me alot. What I do loike now is that they are letting the character explore his world and beyond in the Marvel Now title. I miss the character dealing with his own problem and just popping up in the Avengers title in times of need. They need to give him back his full power, he's not the beat up guy they made him out to be in AVX, he's the victim of horrible writing like Cyclops!

I get that, but I am talking about the people liking him SOLEY for his strength.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By Crackdown

Ragnarok is rocking his strength, so that keeps me happy

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cmartin

@Crackdown said:

Ragnarok is rocking his strength, so that keeps me happy

example?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HaveAtThee

I'm loving me some Jason Aaron/Esad Ribic Thor. He fights with purpose and skill, and there is a reason to everything. Feats of strength or power are nothing without a good story behind it. Aaron's Thor (as with JMS') is a noble, confident warrior god. Can't ask for more than that. I'm sure Aaron will include some awesome moments where Thor is able to truly cut loose. Not every single issue should be about Thor absorbing a star or shattering a moon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.