Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

The Problem with Donald Blake

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By Deadcool

Donald Blake is THOR!
     Donald Blake is THOR!

Originally when Thor first appeared he was Donald Blake, not Thor, and all the comic book issues were about him rescuing people with the powers of the Mighty Thor; then it was about Thor and after a while Donald Blake became just an illusion to teach Thor humility, and he was replaced by Eric Masterson; then after the Ragnarok Donald Blake returned, but now he is no longer Thor, now they are different people with the same body with JMS the comics were about Donald Blake and Thor rescuing people around the world, but the other writers who continued seem to ignore the existence of Donald Blake, he rarely appears or do something, so here comes the question:

Who is Thor?
     Who is Thor?
    What is the problem with Donald Blake?

Is the concept of the character that difficult to use, or is the fact that he seems distant to Asgard...

For me Donald Blake is the connection of Thor to the rest of the mortals, he makes the character better, without Donald Blake, Thor is just a character randomly taken from the Norse Mythology, he is what makes the character interesting.

No Caption Provided

So, why do you think that almost no one use him properly in a story?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Cool thread! I am fascinated by Blake as well. Its almost like he had potential to be Dr House before Dr House was Dr House. I actually had this idea for an Exiles team right? Dr Donald Blake would be one of the characters on the team, and so Thor would be as well, but the crux of the situation, would be that for 60 seconds Donald Blake could turn into Thor =p 

So mainly he is forced to be Donald Blake in most of the stories. He'd also be a bit dysfunctional and anxious (but sincerely caring and ethical) just in ways that aren't apparent to others) but uhm yeah, basically more panel/story time for the character. 

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deadcool
    @SC said:
    Cool thread! I am fascinated by Blake as well. Its almost like he had potential to be Dr House before Dr House was Dr House.
    And both, Blake and House, were created the lame leg to have humilty... but he is more much like Wilson.

I actually had this idea for an Exiles team right? Dr Donald Blake would be one of the characters on the team, and so Thor would be as well, but the crux of the situation, would be that for 60 seconds Donald Blake could turn into Thor =p  So mainly he is forced to be Donald Blake in most of the stories. He'd also be a bit dysfunctional and anxious (but sincerely caring and ethical) just in ways that aren't apparent to others) but uhm yeah, basically more panel/story time for the character. 

But Hank is already the doctor of the team, lol, I like your idea hahah...
    That is what I liked about JMS`s run with Thor, Don had an important role in every issue, now with Fraction he rarely appears...
    04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By 04nbod

Writers want to write massive stories. and forget that Thor must be grounded to Earth as an integral part of his character. Donald is Thor's life. Writers tend to go so big they forget that. Donald is everyday existence for Thor. Donald isn't a problem, the writers are the problem. They are so busy doing Odin vs Galactus or Asgard vs the World Eaters Thor's life on Earth gets lost. Thor needs to be tied to Earth more.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Deadcool

@04nbod: Wow, I thought that no one else posted in this thread, thanks for posting...

And I also think that is the problem, he has a lot of stories that involves Thor leaving the earth, fighting in space...

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vidarrodinson

Actually, the enchantment for the transformation was switched by Odin to Beta Ray Bill.  Thor could no longer change back to Donald Blake.  This was during the Simonson run.  He used a alias as a construction worker
    Singard Jarlson or something like it.  I was suprised to see them bring him back that way from his demise.  This was a old Marvel No Prize. 

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deadcool

@vidarrodinson: well, Donald Blake is better... lol

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 04nbod

@vidarrodinson: Going by the age of Franklin Richards though (as I always do for the MU timeline), the Donald persona hasn't been gone that long in Thor's life. At most it might be five years but I'd say less.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By THORSON

i hate how if he is without his hammer for a moment he turns back to blake. kinda lame in my opinion.

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 04nbod

@THORSON: On the contrary, I think the reason Thor seems to get beaten disproportionately these days is because he is missing that weakness.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Decoy Elite

Marvel 1602 handled the whole Blake/Thor situation really interestingly. Wish more comics looked into their relationship.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.