Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

The one thing that has always got on my nerves about Thor.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By damswedon

I'm sorry that this thing is going to sound really petty. But the one thing I have always hated about Thor is his Hair colour, that's right his hair colour. Now Thor in the comics has Blonde hair if you know anything about Norse and Germanic mythology you would know that Thor is a Red-haired Bearded character. For some reason this pisses me off I really don't know why.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By agent9149
    @damswedon:  i understand what ur saying.....but i guess the blonde hair makes him go poof im here people look at me....
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By doordoor123

this is what he SHOULD look like:

No Caption Provided
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

the problem here is marvel's thor was created by a guy who admittedly doesn't know much about mythology, there is actually quite a bit of thor's mythology not in the comics like his chariot pulled by giant goats or his kids, or his truly epic feats in drunkenness  

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fire-brand

i think he dyes it so that when he shows up and people start laughing at his hair he can  beat them down more easily. just a theory.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By damswedon
    @joshmightbe: oh yeah! dude drinks an ocean at one point. 
    Man Comic Thor sucks.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @damswedon: i love comic thor but you're right the mythological thor was way more bad ass
    biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By biggkeem89

Maybe Marvel hates gingers....lol 
    (disclaimer: I have no dislike for those of the ginger persuasion. I fully support your right to have souls. lol)

Avatar image for oihooliganismoi
    oiHooliganismoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By oiHooliganismoi

he just ashamed about being a ginger

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @damswedon said:
    " I'm sorry that this thing is going to sound really petty. But the one thing I have always hated about Thor is his Hair colour, that's right his hair colour. Now Thor in the comics has Blonde hair if you know anything about Norse and Germanic mythology you would know that Thor is a Red-haired Bearded character. For some reason this pisses me off I really don't know why. "
    welcome to comic books where actual mythological research is rarely done properly...
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Night Thrasher

Mythological Thor is supposed to be canon. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Night Thrasher: there are too many things missing for mythological thor to be the same guy
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @joshmightbe: I'm not familiar with the mythological Thor very much, but I read somewhere that mythological characters in Marvel are supposed to be canon. Especially Thor and Hercules. I could very well be wrong, so don't hold me to it.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Night Thrasher:  The problem is that even if they are supposed to be the same character in the Marvel universe, they don't act like it, their history is rewritten, their storylines are altered and changed from the canon, their personalities are different. So even if they are technically the same character, within the Marvel universe. They are not in actuality the same person because the mythological Thor is different from the Marvel Thor.
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @Crom-Cruach: Yeah, that makes sense. I guess the problem I have is with feats/ continuity. If they're supposed to be canon, do we count mythological feats as canon? Do we count them as canon only if we see an off-hand remark or reference to them? IDK, it really doesn't bother me much, but it could really throw a monkey wrench in some of the battle threads.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Night Thrasher: in the myths aside from having red hair, thor also has 2 sons Modi and Magni and a daughter Thrud (no i did not make up those names) he had a chariot pulled by 2 giant goats tanngrisnir and tanngnjostr (i have no idea how to pronounce those names) and his personality floated between jolly guy to psychopath depending on his mood
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Gambit1024
    @biggkeem89 said:
    "

Maybe Marvel hates gingers....lol 
    (disclaimer: I have no dislike for those of the ginger persuasion. I fully support your right to have souls. lol)

"

Lmao I was gonna say something like that
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Night Thrasher: Given we're debating comics, I've always taken it as the feats shown/said/narrated as part of the canon comic universe storyline are the only things to take into account as the mythological source is so difference as to it being impossible for us to take the feats of one to argue the other.

I mean the Marvel Khonshu is a vindictive, ass***e, blood thirsty god of vengeance.

The real Khonshu was a peaceful god of night, fertility, moon and stars, dreams who made life grow and brought rest to the weary, allowed women to bear healthy children etc.
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @joshmightbe: Well I know the goats are canon, just renamed Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder. The rest not so much.  

@Crom-Cruach: Makes sense, I definitely want more mythology in comics from Marvel. Celts, Egyptians, Babolyonians, etc... I kinda want all the myths to be canon now b/c the "Old Gods" sound a lot cooler than some of the "New Gods" (not talking about Kirby's).
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Night Thrasher: thats actually the english translation of the original name
    Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Warlord

What a stupid reason to hate Thor !

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By damswedon
    @Warlord said:
    " What a stupid reason to hate Thor ! "
    Like I Said it is a stupid thing to hate about any character. But it doesn't help that Comics Thor lacks some of Norse Thor's best traits. 
    Norse Thor Dressed up as Freya got married to the Giant Thrym, he then out ate and drank a whole family of Giants stole back Mjöllnir then promptly murdered the whole family for stealing the hammer in the first place.
    Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Warlord
    @damswedon: Man , wtf , nothing bad in hating characters , but your reason is too STUPID !
    gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gambit987

well do you know what ragarok is? The thor before the previous ragarok (not the one that was stopped by thor) was red haired.

Murphiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Murphiroth
    @gambit987 said:
    " well do you know what ragarok is? The thor before the previous ragarok (not the one that was stopped by thor) was red haired. "
    This. Marvel's Thor and Asgard as a whole has gone through repeated Ragnarok cycles, only to be resurrected with different appearances to repeat the cycle.  This was to feed the appetites of some kind of shadow gods above the Asgardians, if I remember correctly. 

So our Thor of myth was just one of his incarnations, probably the one active during the time of the Vikings. Thor recently stopped the cycle, though, so he's gonna stay the way he is.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshmightbe

my big question has always been why did odin want to humble thor the vikings were known to love boasting about how great they were, humility was never considered at all

johnjcoe9198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By johnjcoe9198

The recent THOR: THRONE OF BLOOD miniseries/origin story was a GREAT take on classic Norse Thor, with all the boasting, drinking, and generally bad behavior.  It gives Odin a very good reason for casting Thor out, to teach him humility.  It would actually make a fantastic starting point for the THOR MOVIE.  I gotta say, the movie is not looking too great, to be honest.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hellos

I wonder what Thor would have to say about this? 

Thee must be mad to insult the The Son of Odin's majestic golden hair that shines as the sun does! 
    PREPARE TO FACE THE THUNDER GOD'S WRATH! 

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ceniza

It was the same reason hulk started grey in color, the prints were unable to render some colors properly, so, probably the colorist thought it was better to use the red on his cape, and yellow on his hair.

The first comics where more on the superhero side than on the mythological one, yet later writers made several attemps to reconcile both characters, and to use marvel thor as a vehicle for some great mythological storytelling, (there's just more than 600 of the regular series, and over 700 including limited series and one shots. so, it's okay if some of us have not read all of thor.) but they're aware that this is a superhero comic book, not history class. plenty books on norse literature and mythology by plenty scholars.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mutant X

Thor's awesome just the way he is. :) Any being foolish enough to disagree shalt be smitten by the almighty hand of THOR.

Primarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Primarch
    @Murphiroth said:
    " @gambit987 said:
    " well do you know what ragarok is? The thor before the previous ragarok (not the one that was stopped by thor) was red haired. "
    This. Marvel's Thor and Asgard as a whole has gone through repeated Ragnarok cycles, only to be resurrected with different appearances to repeat the cycle.  This was to feed the appetites of some kind of shadow gods above the Asgardians, if I remember correctly.  So our Thor of myth was just one of his incarnations, probably the one active during the time of the Vikings. Thor recently stopped the cycle, though, so he's gonna stay the way he is. "
    Correct, red haired Thor was the Thor of the previous cycle, the last Ragnorak was during the life/death of Jesus, so we can also put this, very particular Thor, at being 2,000 years old. Of course, that clashes with other stories which all put Thor/Odin and the general Asgard lot at being far older then 2,000, especially Odin. 

Its likely the reborn Asgardians are more so "dropped" into a certain part of their history and start living on from there, or at least, memories are placed into them and they're born fully grown, after each Ragnorak, or something. But that is an assumption from me, not anything Marvel has stated to my knowledge.  
    Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Darkseid Elite

i like thor with blonde hair, can't see him without it
    MzombieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MzombieX
    @damswedon said:
    " @Warlord said:
    Like I Said it is a stupid thing to hate about any character. But it doesn't help that Comics Thor lacks some of Norse Thor's best traits. Norse Thor Dressed up as Freya got married to the Giant Thrym, he then out ate and drank a whole family of Giants stole back Mjöllnir then promptly murdered the whole family for stealing the hammer in the first place. "

I don't think your reason is stupid ... to each his own.  

Yet I happen to like the Thor with blond hair. To address many of the posts I've seen ....
    We all know Thor is said to have red hair in myths, but it was most likely an artistic style choice not that Marvel wasn't aware of this.
    They wanted Thor to be a "Golden God" and used his favored color of red in that blood red cape of his. 
    Being a blond hair - blue eyed scandinavian allows him to be a common representation of those people from the North, not to mention it simply pops and stands out against that red cape. 
    The silver wings of his helm against that blond hair create a representation of a Golden Eagle ... a Thunder Bird. It's artistic liscense ... but at least it's one that works. 

As far as the feats mentioned by others such as killing giants and his chariot and his children ... haven't some of those things been clearly addressed already? 
    He slaughters Giants all the time and always has. He has been shown with his Goat drawn chariot on several occasions and wasn't there a story line for Magni? 
    Alot of the beings of Norse mythology and legend are displayed fairly accurately in Marvel, but of course these stories as they play out in the comics are going to change

here and there or evolve to fit within the Marvel universe. 

Hell, even the old Myths themselves aren't consistant. They changed over time due to war and history. The stories changed  with the influence of Christianity. 
    The stories were varied greatly depending on the region. Different Gods had completely different roles or representation or even different variations on names depending what part of Europe or tribe you were from. 
    Loki went from a "trickster" teacher God, as coyote would be represented in Native American Myth, to representing the Christian version of the Devil and suddenly the trickster became "evil" 
    To some tribes the role of Thor was seen as an older god than Odin as well as greater.  
    The tale of Ragnarok has been speculated by some scholars to have either been created or at least altered and influenced to fit with the Christian belief of Revelations 
    and a new age of "One True God" after the old gods destroy themselves.
    So to hold Marvel to restrictions on the details of the stories is to question the restrictions of the myths themselves to begin with. 
    What Norse myths are even the "correct" ones?

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Larkin1388

I'm very into norse mythology and understand where your coming from but i think they gave him blonde hair because when people think vikings they usually think of them as a blonde haired race due to the region that they stem from. Colder climate make for more fair haired and fair skinned people... Im not to fond of the blonde either but i deal with it.

Casket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Casket
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @Night Thrasher: there are too many things missing for mythological thor to be the same guy "
    exactly, its a character based on the mythology but not the same character
    D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By D3athstroke

You Know what is dumber than that ? His mother is Gaea

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @Night Thrasher:
    even though this is from the TV show i remember apocalypse qouting this when talking to beast 
    "beast..how many people have dreamed of my end? you are no closer then the BABOLYONIANS with there swords and fire sticks muahahahahaha!" but Ofcourse though they never say anything about the gods.
    Valkyrja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Valkyrja
    @D3athstroke said:

" You Know what is dumber than that ? His mother is Gaea "

Not as dumb as you might think. Mythological Thor's mother was Jörd, a giantess who represented the earth. In Snorri Sturlson's Prose Edda and other works he's sometimes referred to as the son of Asgard and Midgard, meaning he has a connection with both the gods and the men of earth. This also makes a lot of sense considering he was the patron god of peasants, and was by far the most favored of the Norse pantheon among the common man.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sexy_merc

Hairist

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By D3athstroke
    @Valkyrja said:
    " @D3athstroke said:

" You Know what is dumber than that ? His mother is Gaea "

Not as dumb as you might think. Mythological Thor's mother was Jörd, a giantess who represented the earth. In Snorri Sturlson's Prose Edda and other works he's sometimes referred to as the son of Asgard and Midgard, meaning he has a connection with both the gods and the men of earth. This also makes a lot of sense considering he was the patron god of peasants, and was by far the most favored of the Norse pantheon among the common man. "
    Interesting..
    Thanks
    King_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By King_Thor

Hmmm....the one thing that gets on my nerves now?  The lack of respect Marvel editorial has for the character.  I would love to see them treat Thor with the same respect that DC treats Superman.   

Wouldn't that be nice.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @damswedon said:

" @Warlord said:

Like I Said it is a stupid thing to hate about any character. But it doesn't help that Comics Thor lacks some of Norse Thor's best traits. Norse Thor Dressed up as Freya got married to the Giant Thrym, he then out ate and drank a whole family of Giants stole back Mjöllnir then promptly murdered the whole family for stealing the hammer in the first place. "
    Marvel has a red-headed Thor , Red Norvell.
    No Caption Provided
    Also it is said that Thor may have been a red-head b4 the last Ragnarok cycle b4 he debuted. The current version was reincarnated as blonde haired...
    Marvel also has Asgardian eating contests!    
    and (debateably) more wenches than Norse mythology can shake a drumstick at!

Son of Goom, Hercules, Volstagg
    Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Aqua11500
    @King_Thor said:
    " Hmmm....the one thing that gets on my nerves now?  The lack of respect Marvel editorial has for the character.  I would love to see them treat Thor with the same respect that DC treats Superman.    Wouldn't that be nice. "
    But that's not  the problem,Thor probably doesn't have as much appeal as Superman,whos to say Thor IS Marvel's superman? 

He's popular,but nowhere near as iconic, and he doesn't  have much appeal in other media other than comics.
    Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aqua11500

I still like Thor as a character,but the thing that annoys me is his Classic outfit,it's goofy looking to me. 

WTF were they thinking with those huge azz wings on the top his head,looking like a damn erection..smh people.and the red&blue tights didn't help either..really a colorful Norse God/Viking??? 

i'd prefer if he looked like this =P 

now that's Yummmmy....hmmm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.