Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

The Mighty Thor or Journey Into Mystery?

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheAnnihilator

I'll apologize from the start if this topic has been done before.

I have liked Thor, Asgard, and the cast of characters around him for a long time. One of my favorite possessions is the The Mighty Thor Omnibus by Walter Simonson my mother gave me last Christmas. After seeing the Avengers I really want to have a book with some good Asgardian tales, but I only want to add one book to my pull list.

The Mighty Thor appeals to me because of, well, Thor and it has a little more action. However the stories seem a little repetitive and bland compared to those in Journey Into Mystery. I really like the spin of JIM and it's focus on Loki, but the absence of Thor can be a drawback. I'm not one that has a distaste for a great story, but the wall of text given to you in Journey Into Mystery can become a little boring at times.

So, which do you guys think is better or worth being bought monthly?

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@TheAnnihilator: Thor v3 #1-12 +600 should do the trick. Trust me when I say, you can't go wrong with Michael Straczynski as writer and Olivier Coipel as artist.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@royale_with_cheese: I'll check that out, but I'm wondering more about the two current ongoing series if you have an opinion on those.

royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheAnnihilator: Are you planning to read them post or pre-Fear Itself?

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@royale_with_cheese: Post. I'm up to date on both of them through either reading my friends' or buying a few issues here and there. I just want to be dedicated to one of them.

royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheAnnihilator: Then honestly, I would pick neither. Your money is better spent someplace else. Journey into Mystery was going well during Fear Itself, but issues after that tend to flounder. If there really wasn't any other choice; Mighty Thor for the art and JIM for the story.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@royale_with_cheese: Thanks. I'll just keep both of them off my list until they improve. That disappoints me, but I like seeing Thor fighting with the Avengers best so the current arc of Secret Avengers works. The Avengers arc might show him off a bit too.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Twentyfive

I like Thor and he's my favorite Avenger. Before I discovered Thor, I hated any kind of thing that didn't take place in cities and technology (my close-mindedness). And through the world of Thor, I was introduced to Journey into Mystery. I LOVE those books, and the direction it's taking.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.