Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

The Character Factor of Thor

Avatar image for sons_o_darkness
    Sons_o_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sons_o_Darkness

I have been a Thor fan for a very long time, as i write this I'm looking at two of my coolest books "Journey Into Mystery" #98 and #118 the first appearance of the Destroyer.. I have tons more so needles to say the hammer thrower is one of my favs... Having said that i am somewhat disappointed with this new angle and confused? Many others have wielded the hammer, Captain America picked it up once and tossed it back to him during a battle, Beta Ray Bill, even Draxx picked it up to his knees once. All of that being said Thor is Thor.. To take the name away from the person just doesn't make sense to me.. I say great, give the hammer to someone else for awhile but the name? Why not just create another awesome female character who is able to wield the hammer, give her a name and go with the story.. To rip away the character in this manner is really not that cool or creative, it's a cheap way to build a character who already has a storied history. Over the years there has been way to much emphasis put on the hammer, yes it's an amazing weapon with capabilities that writers simply forget today but the main character is The God of Thunder... In years past Thor would battle without using his hammer to simply test his on strength. In a battle with the Hulk he put the hammer away at Hulks request and they fought for sixty seconds... The hammer doesn't make Thor and furthermore Thor is a highly skilled warrior with any weapon of his choosing. Yes the hammer was made for him and i get that but skilled is skilled.

I've watched him battle the Celestials in one of the greatest story arks of all time, and seen this character become the one true lord of Asgard. He sacrificed his life in the battle against Onslaught yes the first hero to do so, others followed his lead. He was the last one standing in the final battle with Michael Korvac my point being the character of Thor.... Just because someone else wields the hammer does not mean they are Thor.... So for me it really doesn't matter what Nick Fury said which by the way means that all of Asgard is not worthy... cause none were able lift it,not even Odin...

Create new characters is my thought...

~MC~

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been a Thor fan for a very long time, as i write this I'm looking at two of my coolest books "Journey Into Mystery" #98 and #118 the first appearance of the Destroyer.. I have tons more so needles to say the hammer thrower is one of my favs... Having said that i am somewhat disappointed with this new angle and confused? Many others have wielded the hammer, Captain America picked it up once and tossed it back to him during a battle, Beta Ray Bill, even Draxx picked it up to his knees once. All of that being said Thor is Thor.. To take the name away from the person just doesn't make sense to me.. I say great, give the hammer to someone else for awhile but the name? Why not just create another awesome female character who is able to wield the hammer, give her a name and go with the story.. To rip away the character in this manner is really not that cool or creative, it's a cheap way to build a character who already has a storied history. Over the years there has been way to much emphasis put on the hammer, yes it's an amazing weapon with capabilities that writers simply forget today but the main character is The God of Thunder... In years past Thor would battle without using his hammer to simply test his on strength. In a battle with the Hulk he put the hammer away at Hulks request and they fought for sixty seconds... The hammer doesn't make Thor and furthermore Thor is a highly skilled warrior with any weapon of his choosing. Yes the hammer was made for him and i get that but skilled is skilled.

I've watched him battle the Celestials in one of the greatest story arks of all time, and seen this character become the one true lord of Asgard. He sacrificed his life in the battle against Onslaught yes the first hero to do so, others followed his lead. He was the last one standing in the final battle with Michael Korvac my point being the character of Thor.... Just because someone else wields the hammer does not mean they are Thor.... So for me it really doesn't matter what Nick Fury said which by the way means that all of Asgard is not worthy... cause none were able lift it,not even Odin...

Create new characters is my thought...

~MC~

I have to agree as well you can promote a character without tearing down another character to do so.

Thor is noble and brave a true and to say otherwise is to just make a story as you wish and it reflects on anybody that has followed Thor through the years. You just have to wonder just when Thor became unworthy. As somebody pointed out the enchantment on the hammer sees all and no matter what you feel about your worth if your not worthy you cannot pick up the hammer and use it.

I just do not see why nobody has addressed the fans with these issues and just said hey this is not about Thor and his being worthy or not or about his honor as a warrior but about the creation of a new character or what ever they are doing.

It surely is not something to make women feel better because hey lets face it they have lots of women characters that are pretty good and Thor is already established as whom he is. Character does not take somebodies else name and put it on and all is ok in the world.

Character comes from a place earns the right to be called what ever and works up through the grime and earns a place at the round table as King Arthur would say. Unless your that one guy that stood up for the queen when nobody else would but that is another story and we wont go into that lol.

Through the years Thor , Odin , Loki , Sif ,Etc Etc have gone through much and some stories were great and others made you say hmmmm not my Ale but give me a few more glasses and heck who knows.

However Thor stayed Thor and the world still seen that he could come back and Odin always walked down the great hallways and he always sat down and looked out at the bridge.

You almost got the feeling that all paths lead to Odin (taken from the books about Corwin and and All roads lead to Amber) great books but that gets me off the subject yet again.

The stories you could tell are still waiting out there on the bring of some imagination and we await them.

Thor with the rolling thunder and Thor with the high winds standing watch over a restless world and who knows what he would be thinking.

Life is to short for humans or the life of a hero is just a flash in the pan or I wonder what the beer at Marvels bar and grill taste like and does it go well with steak and eggs?

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mark_Stephen

I think it comes down to marketing. This new female character is getting a lot of attention and so is the title. The guys on the Vine podcast like it, they won't even talk about the negative stuff anymore. Marvel feels it needs to push heroines and they are willing to sacrifice Thor short term to make this one a hit. I don't think they care at all that a lot of fans don't like what they've done to Thor himself. As long as sales are good and the reviews are good I don't think they care a bit about what the fans think. They feel that once Thor gets the hammer back all the old fans will come back to him while this new heroine will have a fan base solid enough to build on. If a few get left behind... I don't think they care.

Avatar image for sons_o_darkness
    Sons_o_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said... I have to agree with you on this point. So does anyone know how the sales are? As I think on what you just said it really makes my point... When you have to cheat in order to get a fan base for a character that says it all for me..

I'm not a hater either... i liked some of the dialogue for sure.. A whisper? did he say whisper... lol...awesome line for sure.

~MC~

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: probably you are not reading the new book but female Thor is human (Jane or Roz) without mjolnir she is a normal human, no even inhuman or mutant, and this time i think there isn't space for Eric Masterson 2.0 because Odin is being written like the Antagonist i don't think that Roz or Jane Foster could carry their own book without Mjolnir, don't see how that plot cloud interest anyone but who knows...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sons_o_darkness: The sales are Red Hulk style...With a Female Thor Pr stunt, that means high sales, but they will drop after the reveal of her identity, the is Aaron's main plot now... Who she is...But is so bad that everyone knows that she is human (Jane or Roz)...

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By arthurkerr

You never know Mjolnir as a character could change everything. Just a free soul made manifest to help Thor.

Not the case but even I would say OK I was wrong.

Is that the case no more then likely no.

It is a reason why most come here looking for sanity in a story that seems to have none.

Dive deep the better the writer the better the plot and how far did Alice go before people said she could never survive.

it's not about open minds but about investment of our dreams and who does justice to both history and future stores.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: Mjolnir only can work as a character if she is wielding it "him", i don't know what will happen after secret wars, but In Thor annual previews and in TGOT we saw that Mjolnir works like always with Old King Thor...

One Thing is for sure she never can be the daughter of Odin, and so her story has to be short, because like you said before Thor is a God that is son of Odin and Gaea and Prince of Asgard you can try but you can't run from that, and Thor will be back at least for the Ragnarok movie. If she was Angela i think things could last more time because she also is Odin's daughter but she isn't she is human, and Angela is Angela not Thor and her book is great.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I've been reading Angela's book as well, I think it's still finding it's way but it is better written and has more potential than replacement Thor has shown. As has been mentioned why not better promote her new book instead? Guess it would take more effort with less of a guarantee of success compared to creating a controversy and playing up the "who shot J.R. / killed Laura Palmer" angle.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical: I also don't understand why some female readers prefer to read imitation instead of original, bad and repeated writing to make a birth name work like a title, instead a good and fresh writing... I really don't...

Since almost no one cares about Angela, but happily you do care you could join our conversation about the new book, since you are reading it and you like it... Link Bellow

Angela Asgard's Assassin Discussion

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure what it ultimately comes down to is the hype and media attention. With all the hoopla surrounding replacement Thor it's hard for even casual readers not to be aware of what's going on, while a book like Angela Asgard's Assassin gets way less fanfare.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.