Teen Thor Toon

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

Just in time for 2011’s THOR movie, we’ll be getting a direct-to-DVD animated feature about the thunder god’s wonder years.

Teen Thor was his totally rad red-leather jacket on.

Marvel Animation’s Josh Fine recently talked to Comics Continuum about the project, titled TALES OF ASGARD, saying it would be largely based on the ’04 maxi SON OF ASGARD.   The story’s about a teenage Thor going on his first adventure with his brother Loki in Asgard - - obviously before the two became bitter, blistering, belligerent enemies.   Don’t expect much magic hammer-spinning in this, though. Continuity-wise, the story also takes place before Thor’s earned the right to wield Mjolnir.

A portent of the future?

I missed SON OF ASGARD, the series by Akira Yoshida and Greg Tocchini, when it first came out. Did any of you maniacs in the Comic Vine community read it?   Judging by the covers, it looks to have some rousing sword and sorcery - - something none-too-easily reconciled with Marvel’s intention to produce a more scientifically-rooted Viking mythology.

As an aside, I’ll mention that the first thing that popped into my head when I heard about this was the theme song to the 60’s Marvel cartoon.   Remember those? The original motion comics?   They re-used art straight from the comics at the time for some very, very limited animation, but by Odin… did those cartoons have some infectious jingles.   It’s literally been years since I’ve watched any of them, but their theme songs haunt my brain more persistently than any phantom, specter or goblin.  

I’ll take a cue from THE RING here and expose you to this haunted tape so you, too, can be just as haunted as I am.   

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com

#1 Posted by G-Man (37662 posts) - - Show Bio

Too bad it won't be more like this: 

Staff
#2 Posted by King Saturn (224747 posts) - - Show Bio
hmmm...interesting
#3 Posted by raidenexe (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering when this was going to come out. They had a preview for this in the special features of Hulk VS. Glad to finally hear something about it.
#4 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited for this movie!
#5 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: That was awesome! 

Just saw Planet Hulk and thought it was pretty good. Havn't read the book in a few years and was suprised with a few changes.
#6 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2188 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  
They should make an animated marvel zombies movie, like how they have Planet Hulk and the other marvel movies
#7 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom:
like beta ray bill...i was bugged with that and the end.
#8 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't believe I never realized how much He-Man and Thor had in common...Is that Prince Adam from the newer Masters of The Universe cartoon? red Jackets are all the rage, I mean it's kind of like having a cape but way less pretentious.

#9 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet the voice overs SUCK as Marvel voice over work usually does. 
#10 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Man you do such a good job at making me feel old.  I remember watching these on Fox when they had the 2 hour lunch time cartoons on.  Just a big mix of everything from Woody to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk.  In fact the Hulk flew. 
#11 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that thinks young Thor looks like a girl on that cover..?

#12 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the preview attached with Hulk vs. and I say thee: meh

#13 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

TEEN Thor?! As is Iron Man: Iron Adventures wasn't enough. I hope this would people understand the Thor comics.

#14 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap!:
I like Bill it was so awsome to see him!!! Besides the couldn't use Surfer for legal reasons. And at the begining when the Eluminate were talking to him they only had the outline and hair of Mr. Fantastic. But I did get kinda mad in the behind the scenes thing when they said that they had been wanting to do Bill for a while and that Hulk VS Thor was origenally Hulk VS Beta Ray Bill, because that would have been better in my opinion because they could have still had it in Asgard just swap Thor for Bill.
#15 Posted by etragedy (1102 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tom

I missed SON OF ASGARD, the series by Akira Yoshida and Greg Tocchini, when it first came out. Did any of you maniacs in the Comic Vine community read it? 

Just posted a review of Son of Asgard here.
#16 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll check this out.  I hope it's done well.  Thor is a great character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.