Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Taika Waititi to Direct 'Thor: Ragnarok'

• 106 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

The third Thor film, titled Thor: Ragnarok, may have found its director. According to THR, writer and director Taika Waititi is in negotiations to helm the project. Waititi is known for for his 2014 vampire spoof What We Do In the Shadows as well as directing episodes of Flight of the Conchords.

While Waititi primarily works in comedy, many of Marvel's other directors did at one point as well. Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn got his start working on Troma films. Anthony and Joe Russo of Captain America: Winter Soldierworked on Fox's Arrested Development. Marvel seems fine with pulling in talent from multiple genres to direct their big budget action films.

Thor: Ragnarok is scheduled to come out on November 3, 2017.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well "What We Do In the Shadows" was great but that doesnt have to translate into a good MCU movie. I guess only time will tell.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Meh choice, but hey I was Meh on the Russo Brothers....

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hollywood reporter miss his name it's Taika Waititi ... (very unknown)

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Well, the very little hope I had for this movie is gone.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5 inferiorego  Staff

@asgaard said:

The Hollywood reporter miss his name it's Taika Waititi ... (very unknown)

thanks for the heads up

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like an odd choice but I'm guessing there was something about him they really liked.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Janjaman

Is it Ragnorok, Ragnorak or Ragnarok? Decide yourself ;-)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Let's be honest. Yes he's new but can he really do that worse of a job than the last two movies?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By z3ro180

FWORD NO the major problem with the Thor movies is that I has to much up funny FWORD comedy.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Irregardless of the director, this movie was gonna suck, just like the other two.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I have some hope(very little), but some. I think the first Thor was good. But, the second one was garbage.

@z3ro180:Dude don't get yourself banned with the fword. Mods don't play about the fword.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Not a very big Thor fan....and the movies are more like Kat Denning and her side kick, then some portman, then some loki, then a tad bit of Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually don't think it's fair to judge movies we have very little info on based on basic stuff like the director, but given the mediocrity of the past two Thor films, I almost can't even give this one the benefit of the doubt. This movie has a lot of potential but it is very likely that what it can do will be limited since the movie likely has to build up to infinity war and will have to split its focus with that. Hopefully there's less comedy, things are resolved with the Thor/Sif/Jane triangle, and we see a crap load of named Asgardians and great battles. I'm not going to condemn the film based on the director though. Honestly, we needed a new director because the past two didn't do that great. I don't think Waititi can do any worse than they did. I'm happy we are getting a new director and new perspective.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, didnt expect someone great to want to direct a Thor sequel after that last one.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mickey-mouse
    @the_kidd said:

Eh, didnt expect someone great to want to direct a Thor sequel after that last one.

Someone has to coach the Raiders. I mean someone wants a job.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So one of the main problems with the Thor films was too much overused comedy so for Ragnarok, the end of all things they hire a director who has mainly done comedies...

Don't want to make any judgements yet but it just doesn't look good to me right now I hope I'm proved wrong though.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: I have edited it but it loses its rougeish edge this way

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:
    @the_kidd said:

Someone has to coach the Raiders. I mean someone wants a job.

Lol, Thor is $1B franchise... The comic book fans perception/perspective is just... Wrong/Pointless... Thor 2 didn't match the expectations but so many franchises wish to have this movie numbers...

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: Well it's an mcu film I'm sure they had all sorts of directors lining up being as it's the highest grossing movie franchise ever.

Also as the others were just average surely a lot of directors wouldn't struggle to follow them and make a better film so I'm sure a lot of people wanted to direct it.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: Directors have walked away from before, just recently one did because of the lack of control she had for Black Panther. IIRC one also walk away from Thor 2.

@lukehero: I suppose but it comes across as Disney/Marvel content with making another half-assed Thor movie by assigning a nobody to direct it instead of looking for someone with a good track record.

@asgaard: Thor is a billion dollars franchise because it's under the MCU banner .

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard:

Lol, Thor is $1B franchise... The comic book fans perception/perspective is just... Wrong/Pointless... Thor 2 didn't match the expectations but so many franchises wish to have this movie numbers...

Majority of directors want their movies to be successful, but care more about their art. Let's not act like directors haven't left big time movie franchises in the middle of production or turned them down from the start because of creative differences. Thor is the Raiders along with Transformers as the Browns, I don't care how much money they make: when it comes to pick of jobs they suck(cause the films suck). If you take on one of these franchises there are strings attached and you have to work within the confines of what the studio dictates.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: What makes you think they didn't try to find someone with a better track record? As you pointed out people have left big movie franchises or turned them down because of the type of strings that are attached(studio control). I am sure they looked for the best person that was available. Not like they can just pick up the phone and say: "Hey Ron Howard, you on board for Thor 3 right homiee?".

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Kidd

@lukehero: Maybe but why would they look for top talent to close off a trilogy that is mediocre at best instead of just going with someone cheap who can just get the job done. I mean they have other projects in production too.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: Yea I'm sure most directors would leave if the studio was stopping their creativity and not letting them make the film they want, but still I'm sure a heck of a lot of directors want a shot at an mcu film as they are the 'in' thing right now, and they would probably think it wouldn't be too hard to improve on the previous as they were relatively average.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd:

Thor is a billion dollars franchise because it's under the MCU banner .

The first Thor movie build the Mcu and made a lot more money than Captain America The First Avenger, and was before the Avengers Hype, so you are wrong...

@lukehero:

Dude Thor films are not Rotten like Transformers in RT or MoS, like i said above your and CV opinion is pointless... Thor franchise numbers say otherwise and that includes critical/audiences reception...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mickey-mouse

@the_kidd: Probably. I mean the last one made tons of money despite being crap. So maybe they are like: : "Hey let's have Thor fly, beat up some monsters, Kate Dennings looking cute, throw in some jokes, Loki chews up a big chunk of the screen time, the good guys win, Thanos/infinity gauntlet reference, The End." Disney makes 600 Million.

Budget$170 million[2]
    Box office$644.8 million[2]
    mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard:

Dude Thor films are not Rotten like Transformers in RT or MoS, like i said above your and CV opinion is pointless... Thor franchise numbers say otherwise and that includes critical/audiences reception...

Those lines above read of the reasoning of an MCU fan that tries to make it seem like every MCU movie is gold despite it's obvious flaws. Not that RT is the god of movies, but by your logic: 66% on RT isn't anything to brag about for Thor 2.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: @thorthunder98: @lukehero:Actually, a lot of second or third installments of movies do around 500 million now-a-days. The thing is, a lot of people watched Thor2 thinking it would be good or because t was part of the MCU(being how they are all connected, they wouldn't understand the next film,etc). But hey, Transformers 4 did more than 1 billion at the box office. Was it good..? NO. Was it better than the previous Flicks..?NO. Why..?People already knew and liked the Transformers.Simple as that.

On the topic, I am seriously confused at how easily Marvel and DC are choosing nobodies to direct their movies which are not even in the same genre

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@asgaard:

Those lines above read of the reasoning of an MCU fan that tries to make it seem like every MCU movie is gold despite it's obvious flaws. Not that RT is the god of movies, but by your logic: 66% on RT isn't anything to brag about for Thor 2.

(Lol) Thor 1 also is part of the franchise... Actually Thor movies combined made more money than Cap movies combined, obviously the industry acknowledges that because that results were obtained without a movie critical acclaimed like Cap 2, only in comic book sites people can claim that Thor didn't translate well for live action (nonsense), and just like i said your/my opinion doesn't matter and currently RT has a lot of influence in the movies performance and perception, perhaps is the other way around i acknowledge this stuff in the movie business perspective and you only in the comic book fan/viewer role, certainly i was more disappointed than you with Thor 2 but that is irrelevant for this discussion i also thought that Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 were not good...

"Indeed, many titles that failed to reach tracking projections had poor scores on review-aggregation sites. Paramount and Skydance's Terminator: Genisys was expected to clear $55 million during the five-day July 4 holiday; instead, Genisys, with a 26 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, opened to a disappointing $42.5 million. Warners was blindsided repeatedly as Entourage, Magic Mike XXL, Vacation, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and We Are Your Friends came in well behind tracking. None was particularly well received. Fox's Fantastic Four, savaged by reviews and its director's own tweet, lagged far behind initial tracking.

The opposite was true for movies with strong marks on Rotten Tomatoes, includingTrainwreck (85 percent "fresh"), Straight Outta Compton (90 percent) and Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation (93 percent). Each came in well ahead of projections. Universal and Paramount promoted Rotten Tomatoes scores rather than individual critics in ads forTrainwreck and Rogue, respectively, a Hollywood first. "There is a point where traditional tracking can't tell you everything anymore because of word-of-mouth," says Universal domestic distribution chief Nicholas Carpou. Adds Fox domestic distribution head Chris Aronson: "We're seeing these wide swings because of immediacy of social media. Maybe we need to re-examine the methodology."

link

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mickey-mouse

@abdullahzubair:

David Ayer isn't a nobody, he wrote Training Day & Directed Fury. Those are two bang up job films.

Really Zack Synder wasn't a nobody before Man of Steel or Batman v Superman. He had 300 & Dawn of the Dead. He was getting calls for other projects as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's an awesome name.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope he makes Ragnarok as EPIC as it's suppose to be

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

With so many people having such low expectations for Thor I honestly am not surprised that a relative newcomer would step up. If it is bad people will just shrug and say 'Eh, it's a Thor movie' but if it's good he makes a solid name for himself.

If he's hungry to create a rep, he might work a miracle.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Kidd

@abdullahzubair: Production companies choose nobodies and up and coming talent because they are easily controlled compare to someone who already made a name for themselves and has a power in the industry.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

Pretty much this.. the movies may be garbage but they rank in dough like Transformers.. in the end most people care about is money. And if the numbers are good then why not hop on..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: So have you finally hopped on to the Wonder Woman and other DCEU movies?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: The DECU and the whole influx of cbm in general is still kind of iffy for me.. I'll just have to wait and see.

Doesn't mean I won't watch them of course :).

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: That is cool :).

I don't watch all or plan to watch everyone of them either.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HaveAtThee

No idea who this guy is. Hopefully he has a vision and Marvel/Disney execs keep their idiot marketing team's hands out of it. The last thing we need is another Twilight-meets-Star-Wars mashup. Perhaps Feige sees something we don't. They also tapped a female director to do The Dark World and she left due to differences with the studio. They then tried to get Branagh to do it but he turned them down. They finally got Alan Taylor (many were happy, including me) only to have reports of many retakes and edits take place to where Alan Taylor (I think, not sure) publicly intimated that his vision for the film was never realized fully.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sinikettu

@janjaman said:

Is it Ragnorok, Ragnorak or Ragnarok? Decide yourself ;-)

Actually its Ragnarøkkr or Ragnarök. Use which ever your keyboard can support since even linguistics argue which is the right form because old Norse was far from being a uniform language and written in none phonetic runic alphabet.

I hope there's magic in the name (taika = spell/magic in my native) because the previous Thors were pretty meh in my opinion.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

From what I have heard so far, he's not on board yet. He's just linked as the new director but no contract or anything for now.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a lot of respect for Watiti for WWDITS, but putting him in charge of probably the most serious Thor film yet (If the title is anything to go by), seems like a massive gamble on Marvel's part. I wonder how Watiti will operate inside of a studio setting, given that WWDITS was an Indie film funded by himself, his friends, and the New Zealand government.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'm surprised by the ongoing discussion about thor ragnarok. I don't think it's going to be as terrible as the sequel. More than likely, thor will be joined by a resurrected captain america and perhaps even the hulk. The only thing I'm unsure of is the director. I don't think I've seen his work.

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy makes great movies, he's very funny. I think it'll be very interesting to see what he does with a big budget.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@neon_jackal: he needs to pull out all the stops that the other two movied failed to do like bringing enchantress into the fold along with odin's evil brother the serpent and the Grey gargoyle. Mr Hyde was lost to AoS. I suppose a horde of trolls would be cool as well.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I haven't heard or seen anything from this Waititi guy but he's an under the radar director so that makes sense I guess. I suppose this isn't the first time Marvel have pulled this tactic but if his focus has been mostly on comedy movies, I do feel uneasy that this will be who directs Thor Ragnarok. It should be a serious and epic film in theory but picking someone who directed a spoof vampire movie, however good it may have been, seems like an odd choice.

We can only wait and see at this point but I'm not surprised they've had to go with an unknown to direct Thor Ragnarok. The Thor films have been the black sheep of the MCU family thus far. Even with 2 disappointing sequels, Iron Man is let off the hook because he's the MCU's poster boy whilst Thor hasn't made nearly as big an impression generally compared to Iron Man, Captain America and GotG. I really hope Thor Ragnarok turns things around as Thor needs a memorable movie for once.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Outside of America, many people do not know who Ayer is, and his films are not even closely related to the genre/direction of SS. Zack Snyder isn't a nobody, but the other people they are eyeing on are..

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

green lanterns friend.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: Nice to know!

But I was just being being passive agressive about the many ways it was spelled on the post hehe.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I greatly enjoyed the last two Thor movies and am a fan of Waititi's work.

I am really looking forward to this. ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.