Superman must die...for some of us I guess!!!!

#1 Edited by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean no disrespect to any opinions or feelings on the subject matter, so please take that into consideration before attempting to thrash me because you disagree. 

I have noticed that so many on this site have a serious problem with DC heroes, specifically superman.  I've witnessed battle after battle and it has been made evident that some of my fellow comic vine brothers and sisters, will do anything and create any instance where Superman will lose.  I don't care if it's Superman Prime 1,000,000 Vs Rune King Thor or regular Superman vs Thor, the hate for Superman is evident.  I looked over superman's power listing recently and then looked over Thor's on this site, and it's almost like they switched their power settings between the two.  It say's Thor can lift over a million tons, yet it only registers Superman's strength at 100,000 tons.  The list totally stripped supes of his light speed abilities and downgraded them to near light speed and turned his molecular density to a simple bio matrix force field.  Then on Thor's list now he's the one with all of these special physiological traits because of his race, like superman doesn't have any from his race and this site no longer mentions them.  If anyone tries to go to a site that describes superman as more powerful than this site has him listed, then an OP will just say "your references are unreliable" like this site doesn't allow members to input things on it like anybody else.  Yes I am a Superman fan and I like DC more because that's where I started, but I read Marvel comics more because I can relate to them more.  In fact I barely even read DC comic books, but it just annoys me to see people always downplaying Superman so that their favorite character can win.  Galactus Vs Superman ok every one knows Galactus will win, even though on this site nothing can beat Galactus even if he's starving even the anit-monitor can't win to some here.  However I am fully aware of Marvel characters that could possibly best superman, then again it's just an opinion.  I guess my question is as of late why is there such an effort into downplaying and depowering superman, and a landslide effort to power up Thor?  That's just an example I'm using for my topic is all so don't jump all over me please.  Personally it doesn't matter if it's a comic book, cartoon or movie I only ever see Thor get his a** kicked period.  Be it Captain America hip tossing him(although he was off guard)on Avengers earths mightiest heroes, or The Hulk beating him nearly to death in Hulk Vs.  He's just never portrayed as dominate as some make him out to be, yet and still it's all these excuses or things Thor was about to do but didn't that caused him to lose.  Next I'll see a thread which scientifically explains why Iron Man in a special armor can stomp superman...why?  Are there any people left on Comicvine that still have love for Supes?

#2 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember reading somewhere where Marvel admitted that Thor would lose to Superman.

#3 Posted by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
I remember reading somewhere where Marvel admitted that Thor would lose to Superman.
Really I gotta see that man, when I look for battles on this site I see so many who feel Superman would get owned.
#4 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11539 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
Where you hear that?
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Postacrat: @GrandSymbiote94: Don't remember....Sorry :(

But yeah...I feel Supes is underrated on this site.
#6 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio

I really didn't know Superman was so hated

#7 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
I really didn't know Superman was so hated
He's too perfect.
#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kastiel said:  People that read about him always tell me different
#9 Posted by The Stegman (23236 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134:  

He's too perfect

@Kastiel said:  People that read about him always tell me different

it's a common misconception, that's because people who DON'T read him, use that excuse as a reason to dislike him, anyone who actually reads him knows he's far from perfect, sure Superman may be morally and ethically unwaivering, but Clark Kent is no more perfect than you or me, he's a normal guy trying to balance his work (both jobs) his family (human and kryptonian) and his love life.
#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
@daredevil21134:  

He's too perfect

it's a common misconception, that's because people who DON'T read him, use that excuse as a reason to dislike him, anyone who actually reads him knows he's far from perfect, sure Superman may be morally and ethically unwaivering, but Clark Kent is no more perfect than you or me, he's a normal guy trying to balance his work (both jobs) his family (human and kryptonian) and his love life.
Thank You.I see you know the character pretty well.
#11 Posted by The Poet (8303 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I respect Sups. Not a fan of stories because I can't quite relate to him at most times.

on another note, why is this put in the thor forum?

#12 Posted by danhimself (22313 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
@daredevil21134:  

He's too perfect

it's one of the reasons I liked the concept of Grounded....he had lost so much that it almost made him lose his faith so he went for a walk to clear his head and reevaluate things...it's just that when that comes to a multi-issue story arc it's hard to make that concept interesting
#13 Posted by daredevil21134 (10965 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
@The Stegman said:
@daredevil21134:  

He's too perfect

it's one of the reasons I liked the concept of Grounded....he had lost so much that it almost made him lose his faith so he went for a walk to clear his head and reevaluate things...it's just that when that comes to a multi-issue story arc it's hard to make that concept interesting
I totally agree
#14 Posted by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet said:
Well, I respect Sups. Not a fan of stories because I can't quite relate to him at most times.  on another note, why is this put in the thor forum?
I figured it should either go into Thor or Superman's forum, sorry for the mix up....
#15 Posted by The Poet (8303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Postacrat said:
@The Poet said:
Well, I respect Sups. Not a fan of stories because I can't quite relate to him at most times.  on another note, why is this put in the thor forum?
I figured it should either go into Thor or Superman's forum, sorry for the mix up....
yeah, actully reading it over agian, it could go either way (though the superman part being major I'd still say we should move it...HINT HINT Moderators!
#16 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

they are both in my top 5 favorite characters there is no need to hate on either of them. they are both sold short all the time.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thor's hammmer said:

they are both in my top 5 favorite characters there is no need to hate on either of them. they are both sold short all the time.

Same here.

#18 Posted by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@Thor's hammmer said:

Same here.

I agree, I apologize to those of you who took the time to check this out If I seem biased.  Thor is a great character, I loved his fight with Super Skrull.  He's definitely a force and the Avengers depend on him much like the Justice League does Superman.
#19 Posted by stuamerica (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing with Thor is he tends to get "Worfed" (check TVTropes.com if you do not know my meaning) by too many writers trying to beef up someone else.  For some reason this never happens to Supes (that I know of at least).  It is generally in reaction to the fact that the heavy hitter of Marvel  keeps getting used as a stooge causes some of the reaction from his fans. 
The fact that there is so much confusion as to which power levels Superman given the constant variation over the years.   
I am of the opinion that Thor would win (barely) though he is one of very few I would put over Superman.  I realize that is my opinion and nothing more. 
#20 Posted by Tron007 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

well dear thanks for sharing this information :)

#21 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

The Thor movie came out. Whenever there is a superhero movie coming out fanboys of the character aso flock to the site.
#22 Posted by RoyalDivinity (3161 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:

@Postacrat: @GrandSymbiote94: Don't remember....Sorry :(  But yeah...I feel Supes is underrated on this site.

Oh boy, he's certainly not underrated on the site.
#23 Posted by Skyfire (709 posts) - - Show Bio

DC characters are not underrated on this site. I would say in actual fact they are in general favoured on the battle forum. Superman included. 

For example a while ago a Superman vs Thor and Gladiator thread was made a while back. For me that is almost spite. And people STILL said Superman would win.

So he does  have a decent fan following here.

#24 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Skyfire said:
DC characters are not underrated on this site. I would say in actual fact they are in general favoured on the battle forum. Superman included.   For example a while ago a Superman vs Thor and Gladiator thread was made a while back. For me that is almost spite. And people STILL said Superman would win.  So he does  have a decent fan following here.
I believe they added in that Superman would be "sundipped" in that fight. 
#25 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Thor fan for sure.  But I read and collected Superman along with other DC characters.  Marvel lags behind DC Strength levels.  Superman has the power to move 1/3 of the planet.  Thor was listed at one time with class 95 .  Now it's at class 100.  Whatever value that is to anyone?  Any, Superman is far stronger than Thor.  No contest.
#26 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I like supes, but thor would win. his hammer is technically magic

#27 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

LIES :P

#28 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I am pretty neutral on Superman, but I can't stand all the hate he gets. You don't have to like Superman, but he is a charcater to be respected.

#29 Posted by eatmore_payless (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

hey I can't see any reasons to hate supes I mean, he's just a man who dwells with everyday probelm like us, but most of his problems includes saving the world

#30 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a charged question for me. First off, I'll say; I've talked a bit about Christopher Nolan doing the new Superman movie slotted for next year. Most of the reaction I have gotten from almost everyone was fairly negative. I almost think Superman, while the first, has become very generic.

On another note, for some Thor fans, I think there is resentment against the character. I think some fans feel Superman gets tons of love and respect, while the Thor character (Marvel's heavyweight) does not get the same respect (I presume this is why this thread is in the Thor forums?). Many will argue that point. But I agree with the former statement. I'm an old timer and was a huge fan of DC's Captain Marvel. And I got to watch my guy lose to Superman in a giant sized crossover my buddy loaned me. One of the coolest comics I ever read, and one of the best knock down dragouts I have ever seen on panel in a comic book. But MY guy lost. It always seemed that Superman had to win no matter what, and everyone else (including Thor later on), had to play second fiddle.

Ironically, I think an honest appriasal of a fight between Thor and Superman would show Supes as the victor.

John Byrne felt that to make Supes relevant, he had to be de-powered. Hence his death at the hands of Doomsday.

In terms of character, I think the common perception is that Supes is boring. What's the remedy? I think there needs to be some sort of event in Superman's life that is a GAME changer. He needs to be re-invented in terms of what motivates and drives him. That may be tough to do, seeing as he has decades of people's perceptions to overcome.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.