Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

*spoilers* What the heck did Aaron do to ODIN?!

• 64 results
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#51 SC  Moderator

@mrwednesday: Oh heh heh now I am confused, I am assuming your part asking what is addressing the part where I say I can't do that? Which was me addressing your earlier point about myself applying logic to Aaron's creative decisions? If I am wrong please correct me, and mainly its because we are talking about fiction, that I am not Aaron and I don't know that much about you as a person or your preferences. It would take quite a while for anyone to try and think of creative explanations to creative problems on behalf of another for another to try and help smooth over inconsistencies. At most I can just talk about my own explanations and intuitive thought processes that lead me to have opinions about such things, but many of those things rest on other basis, explanations and attitudes to do with greater fiction. I think its probably just more efficient to understand we just have difference preferences (not that I am not enjoying the conversation, I do quite a bit ^_^)

I actually like Sif almost as much as Thor, so funnily enough I would actually be more annoyed and consider it more of a negative if they wanted Sif to be in this role, because I would dislike her having to have so much about her radically changed just to boost her profile, it wouldn't help sell the book either, since the mystery of the character I think sells better than the idea of Sif being Thor. I would rather Sif get a small mini series with her own name on it, or just increase her profile among the Thor book, now and then have an issue dedicated to her, or maybe relaunch Journey Into Mystery in a few days but have a rotating cast and include Thor and Loki heavily with promotions and in the book but use it to tell stories about Warriors Three, Sif, Balder, Tyr, maybe even Hercules and Ares. Maybe a bigger cast with bigger names would help it sell better.

Its hard for me to talk about the sense of the change if its Roz, since there are still too many unknown variables for me to consider. It requires too much speculation on her motivations, her choices as far as naming, visual inconsistencies like you mention. Maybe if it is Roz, maybe the transformation process involves the individuals ideas and perceptions of how they would appear? Maybe Roz's admiration of Thor means that her hair changes. Maybe its just that she dyes her hair black and so when transformed it reverts back to her original hair color. I really don't know. The same can be said if her attitude, and reaction to things, why she is Thor. Maybe she likes Thor and is frustrated with Thor so has decided in a moment of arrogance she could teach him something by being Thor? This all assumes it is her, and its speculation because again, I do not know and I am okay with not knowing right now. So I just have a wait and see approach.

Oh heh no I do not think you are acting like a fervent atheist, I think you are quite reasonable and intelligent with your criticisms. If I was to speculate as to why we have a few differences, I would think that you would rather know more details about all this than we currently have, and the lack of details explaining all the questions and problems you have may annoy and frustrate you just as much than if the actual answers to all those questions were disappointing. So your expectations were different and that you also prefer more direct storytelling and not stories that try to wring out mystery over months and months, especially in regards to character identity and significant change that isn';t adequately explained. Someone like myself, when I say I am okay so far, I am not saying that everyone else has to stop complaining and must love the story, I myself am quite a critical person, so I tend to criticize stories even the ones I like quite a bit. If this current female Thor ends up being Volstagg for example, and its explained that Volstagg has always wanted to be a sexy, skinny blonde woman and this was his chance and now he is moving to Midgard to be a blond transgender woman who is going to get liposuction if he can't be female Thor anymore… well I would actually laugh at that out of disbelief and how ridiculous that would be, but that would be a stupid story idea and execution, and thats what I would consider Marvel and a writer destroying a character, because Volstagg is a lovable rotund family man, him being large is nice, that he secretly wanted to be a woman would seem way too random and out of the blue, especially a blonde and sexy woman, I think Volstagg is confident and thinks himself quite a bit sexy, look at many children he has! Plus red hair is very nice. It would also break up Warriors Three and just…

Oh and as far as the whisper and Original Sin, well it was a criticism I had, but I suspect the whisper moment served two primary purposes. Aside from setting up a new status quo and direction for Thor it also was a convenient way to take him out of the fight with Fury granting the idea that Thor might have been so surprised that he would not return to battle. Personally thats not something I buy, but then again if Thor had returned to battle they would have needed another way to take him out of the fight because he is just way more powerful than all the other characters there, at least to me, so something similar to what happened to Hulk would have occurred. Which would also have pissed off a lot of Thor fans if he was one shot by some obscure weapon Fury had. I thought Thor did get one great moment, the way it read was that Cap was leaving Thor as the endgame, they tried talking, reasoning but if things needed to end, that out of all the powerful characters assembled there, it was Thor that would do it most definitively - was even emphasized on the next page with the other group of heroes listening in on the fight with one of them saying "Thor's involved. It shouldn't be much longer" I mean that turned out to be inaccurate, but those assumptions and expectations by the heroes there that thats how badass and powerful Thor is, is to me a nice moment. Other characters have to get there nice moments in too though hence why Thor and Hulk got removed from battle, as actually happens quite a lot in big events. I mean thats a problem and there are different solutions, all that have pros/cons. So I understand why it was written that way, even if I am critical of it.

Heh heh thank you. I think if you don't change your mind that is okay as well, I mean we can't change how we feel about things, we can only control how we rationalize our experiences and what we chose to focus on. I personally try to understand things from the creators perspective. As an example, think of the Frost Giants? Classic Thor enemies, classic mythological enemies of Thor, but after decades they have a lost a bit of their luster. So have a few Thor enemies like Ulik. So I know Aaron has read a lot of past Thor stories, and a general part of his stories so far has appeared to be strengthening the roster of Thor's villains. Whilst also giving us the powerful Thor we all love. So whilst I am critical of how Thor lost his arm, I imagine thats more Aaron trying to show that Frost Giant's aren't suppose to be a joke, even though I guess many Thor fans feel that way about them. I mean I read one story a few years ago where Hulk almost effortlessly destroyed Ulik (and one time even further back where Thor demolished Abomination quite easily as well) these villains can lose their credibility so easily by careless writing, introduced as a threat then tossed away. So a writer can either keep introducing only new threats or they can try and reestablish a characters reputation. I think Aaron did a good job at giving Ulik a bit more presence without giving him some random super power boost, because Ulik will never be say - on the level of a serious Thor not holding back, but he should be respectable. So some people will perceive current story as male Thor looking weak, but to some fans like me the Avengers were made to look "weak" as well, or the Frost Giants are suppose to look strong, even hinted to be more powerful than usual (freezing a large part of the Pacific ocean? Thats a badass wicked idea, demonstration of power) and to me there is also zero distinction between male Thor and female Thor in terms of power, anything she does, he could do and better. So as the protagonist she will get to reap the benefits of the Frost Giants looking strong when she beats them to demonstrate not her power but Thor's power. So its a matter of balance and fine tuning, rather than a right or wrong idea about the story. How do you choose to perceive the story. Not saying its wrong to be negative or positive, if I wanted I could make a very large post being critical and negative towards Aaron's entire run, JMS run, Gillen, Simonson, Oeming, or positive, I usually just opt for pressing how I feel and/or trying to understand the creator.

Thank you, I really enjoy reading your views so far and hey I think your application of English language is great. What is your first language? I live in New Zealand, a small country off the side of Australia. My first language was Cook Island Maori *English is my primary language now though) I like that CV has such a large internal offering of users heh heh.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

DISRESPECT!

MrWednesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@sc: Everyone knows New Zealand one of the most beautiful (Green) countries in the world, I m German but currently i m working in Spain and Portugal, English is only my 4 th language, and you were kind, my English writing is not great, that's why my speech is sometimes not understandable, forget any kind of specific question addressed to you, sometimes in my writing i make questions, not hoping for answers, but trying to show to who is reading that for now, some ideas don't make any sense, even without knowing the answer i try to show that the current perception doesn't make look good Aaron creative decisions.

No Sif would never be the female Thor, forget the sales and the Pr stunt and think in a book where Thor is unworthy of mjolnir but he still is Thor, and Sif has to carry the hammer (she is worthy), but as Sif with her profile, that would make her able to fight some of Thor and Asgard biggest foes like for example Mangog, and Sif really needs some power up because she is being overshadow by Angela that is being written as someone very very powerful. I also would hate if Sif or Freyja were called Thor.

What are you thoughts as reader if Aaron uses the story line when Dr. Strange fix Mjolnir with Thor life force, to explain why a human (Roz) thinks like human but speaks and acts like Asgardian, this also could explain why she get some Thor physical characteristics like the blonde hair, doesn't sound good, but for now it's the best i can remember to give some logic to some changes, Steve Rogers wasn't affected when he was worthy of Mjolnir in Fear Itself, but that could be one inconsistency, this bound of Thor life force with Mjolnir wasn't undone yet, as far as i know, so even if Aaron don't go that way he should address it.

Volstagg as female Thor made me laugh, i don't think that would be the case, and Aaron creative decisions won't be so ridiculous, but some creative decisions like Mjolnir working as a character, can enter in the ridiculous field easily, i don't see how Aaron can develop the personality of the Hammer.

The whisper in Original Sin, well like i said before doesn't fit Thor character, but let me ask you this, do you already read Angela new book, if yes i would like that you check this topic http://www.comicvine.com/thor/4005-2268/forums/new-heir-to-asgard-spoilers-1625612/#0 , i m disappointed no ones wants to speculate, i more a reader of the site, because i think some of Thor fans like the character, because he is a powerful character (battles forums), and don't really know and aren't interested in his past and how his personality works and why, who is he? I love when some writers try to explore some concepts like Valhalla and what means to be a God, and even if the Whisper destroy some concepts from Thor personality, i really hope that the whisper don't go into the spell territory like you said, even i believe that Aaron doesn't know what do of the whisper, with some imagination he still can write something connected with Angela and his Family!

I really don't read Thor for the power set, i really don't care if Aaron will write her as being equal or more or less powerful than Thor, i really don't care much with that, if she beats Surtur with one shot i will think that is ridiculous, but like i said i m not a Thor fan for his powers.

I enjoy very much your posts... :)

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@wolfus: I'm serious, it say if he be WORTHY and odin isn't worthy and I'm glad aaron is shacking things up.

Are you insane? Dude, Odin doesn't have to be worthy!!! It's his enchantment, and it only works because of the odinforce. Now, who the hell do you think that controls the odinforce? I guess you didn't see the "Mjolnir... drop" in the sacn in this very thread.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfus: Yes I did see that scan and scan is one of the reasons fear itself bomer as an event.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he doesn't seem to have respect for Odin's character or abilities. Also for plot convenience. If Odin still had control then we wouldn't have a story.

Wolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@wolfus: Yes I did see that scan and scan is one of the reasons fear itself bomer as an event.

No, it is not.;It's the most logical thing odin could do. His enchantment, his odinforce, his hammer to command. They should've kept him in his exile in asgard. Then this plot hole wouldn't be happening.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a personal head canon to explain what is happening so far, i'm just waiting for it to be explained by aaron now ;D.

Nick Fury learned stuff from the watcher (who knows far more than odin) and among that he learned a spell to alter mjolnir's enchantment.

Whatever it was that was altered stopped Thor from being able to lift it, he is still worthy of old mjolnir but not new one, and since Odin isn't in charge of Asgardia, he isnt in command of the Full Odin Force (the one that those who rule asgard have) so Frigga was like "F- you Odin! Stop being such a D-! You left asgard cuz you made mistakes, im in charge now!" so Odin wasn't able to lift mjolnir since he isnt the supreme power of asgard anymore, and then Frigga said thought about women being in power and the enchantment changed from He to She.

Just my head canon, no one has to accept it.

Also, I think Thor is gonna fight new Thor and approve of her (unless this is current evil Thor, then if he hates her regular Thor woulda liked her anyways ;D) or she'll lose mjolnir enough to be turned back and he's going to be surprised at who it is and stop fighting.

OR she (someone with no mjolnir experience) will beat him (someone with thousands of years mjolnir experience) easily and everyone riots lmao, unless mjolnir itself somehow makes her win (like teaching her things like she has so far).

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianxeno929: two problems: 1) the watcher, even if he knows everything can't know anything about the Odinforce that Odin doesn't because......yeah it's Odins. It's like saying someone outside of me knows my thoughts better than me. That's simply impossible. You can learn to predict behavior but not completely know it. Therefore he can learn how the Odinforce works but there's absolutely NOTHING he can do to change it because it's not his.

2) the Odinforce is only Odins. It doesn't get transferred to a ruler of Asgard. It only goes to the first born son when he dies. So freyja has no Odinforce. At all. Or control over it for that matter. Maybe you could use some Odinforce throuh Gungnir his spear. But not have it outright yourself.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omg people, stop with the dissertations, you are all very passionate, but your posts could very much use TL;DRs cause damn walls of text crit me for over 9000

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#62  Edited By SC  Moderator

@mrwednesday: Heh heh thank you and wow, Germany is one of the countries I want to visit. Hope you are enjoying Portugal and Spain, I have some distant relatives that live there, another beautiful country. English as your forth language is incredible, and very easy to understand too.

Thats a pretty interesting idea, with Strange. Would certainly help resolve that hanging plot point, but I think it might be too - relatively obscure for the audience that Marvel tries to focus on - i imagine whatever answers are to be had will be relatively self contained within recent stories.

I am actually behind in Angela and Loki and well actually 90 percent of all comics I read, but once I do catch up I will definitely check that thread out!

Thank you and I appreciate your thoughts and ideas too (and sorry my reply is late, notification issues)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he regains control over things in the end. Over Mjolnir, AND Asgard.

yvansilva9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that Aaron is the Ragnarok himself to the comics

Odin unworthy of his own magic? One of the most powerful beings in the Nordic mythology

I'm curious about how he'll get away with that to put Thor back on track?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.