Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

So Lets Talk MCU Thor/Asgardians & Magic...

• 111 results
    uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Many people believe Thor & the Asgards in MCU are just aliens w/ advanced technology. There are multiple references in the MCU to suggest that but there is also references & actions to counter it. Personally we've seen Frigga & Loki use what looks like "magic" to me multiple times. I just want to know what everyone else thinks...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By uugieboogie
    Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie:

That Mcu Asgardians are a lot more special than just Aliens, where other aliens look at them always with admiration and respect, even the Collector bows to Sif and Volstagg, something also developed in AoS, where the Kree plots are only about science, but the Asgardians plots are always build with some mystery creating the doubt about the science justification, i still remember that when Thor first appeared in the Avengers movie Black Widow made associations with Gods...

The advanced technology is just a plot device to make Asgard fit the Mcu World building, comics and live action have very different rules i really like to read stories about Gods and i thought a lot in how Asgardians could be Gods in a shared live action universe, but i never found any solution that wouldn't hurt the current Mcu pillars...

In my perspective what is essential for Asgard is always be portrayed with different beliefs systems from humans, something that the Mcu is doing better than the current comics where Aaron just humanized Odin and Asgard, see Cap not be worthy of Mjolnir in parties makes me happy because he only should be worthy in battle, he is human not Asgardian and doesn't possess the warrior's mentality in every second of his life like Thor...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard:

• I agree they are more than just aliens. Even though its multiple references to Thor just being from another planet it appears to me Asgard is in a different dimension. If Asgard was just someone in space then the whole "9 realms" thing wouldn't make any sense at all in this film especially with how many planets & races are popping up now.
    • I remember in Thor he said to them magic & science was one in the same. I think they didn't have a way to justify magic & now that they are bringing in Strange they have no other option but to finally embrace it. Things done by Loki & Frigga can't be explained by advanced technology. Then Mjolnir doesn't fit into the whole advanced tech category either.
    • I agree with you though. There's going to be different perspectives on Asgard & the Asgardians by different characters in MCU I guess it adds to the mystery.
    Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie:

I agree that Loki and Frigga actions and Mjolnir enchantment can't be explained with advanced technology, but to not discredit the science plot device, always will allow ambiguous interpretations...

I can't remember with precision but even when depowered by Odin (another plot point that is hard to explain with science) Thor still was able to demonstrate weather perception abilities...

Not so sure about Dr. Strange, K. Feige already spoke of quantum mechanics/physics when talking about that movie, we have to wait...

Let's put it this way if Asgardians were really Gods in the Mcu how credible was Thanos or other threats? In comics works but the rules are very different we just accept insanity and the fantastic element as part of the comics DNA, and even some current comics are constructing more credible plots (not Aaron for sure), i still remember how Gillen was able to make Loki Hela's father (creator) without follow the mythology tale that isn't credible even for current comics in the interpretation of Good writers...

Speaking of Hela my theory is that she will be Thanos "Death" in the Mcu, I have high hopes for the Ragnarok movie, "the end of all things" should have Thanos attention and if the plot highlight the mystery instead of the science we could have the epic battle (according to the Asgardian Beliefs) that we are waiting for since Thor introduction in the Mcu...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Yeah i'm not entirely who with but Thor is going have a huge fight in the movie. I'm kind of thinking he tries to use a infinity gem & tries to take on Thanos which leaves Thor badly damaged & incapped which is why he isn't in the first part of Infinity War.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MCU Asgardians are treated as aliens with powers. Not mystical beings. Anyone who is expecting more of a nod to the comic book versions coming up in Ragnarok will be disappointed. They haven't bothered exploring the origins of the Asgardians and their power and have barely even hinted at the power of their main characters. The Odin Force doesn't even exist in the MCU. Sucks to say it, but they butchered the Asgardians, thematically speaking, in their films and it'll probably all end in "Ragnarok" because they have no more use for them now that the Guardians and Nova Corps have been established as the "sci-fi" corner.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how this is debatable. When the president of production at Marvel Studios says it's not magic, then it's not magic. It's advanced tech that's based on quantum physics. They even hired multiple scientists to consult in the creation of Thor and Asgard in the original film. People can say "I don't see how X can do X without it being magic" but it doesn't matter at all. I don't see how plugging your head into a machine and entering a place like the Matrix actually works, does that make it magic in the Matrix universe? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Maybe they'll introduce real magic eventually but as of right now, it doesn't exist in MCU.

As for Dr. Strange, Feige already said quantum physics will be used as an explanation for "magic".

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: Exactly, and for this reason alone I'm afraid they're going to butcher Dr. Strange as well. Quite a shame since they've assembled a solid cast for that film, and I love Dr. Strange.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee:

I love Dr. Strange too but I don't think it'll suck. They can make it work.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. The phrase "quantum physics" doesn't really go well with "Master of the Mystic Arts" or "Sorcerer Supreme." When I read Feige's press release describing how they view magic, especially for the concept of Dr. Strange (comparing it to DeGrasse-Tyson's show) I wanted to vomit a bit. I'm afraid he'll just become a weirder/quirkier version of Tony Stark. Marvel loves being formulaic.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HaveAtThee

@m_man: Too true. Perhaps I'm a pessimist but the results of the Thor films discourages me. I know they made money but I'm just speaking from a contextual point of view.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: @m_man:

The Mcu rules don't allow magic, obviously the safest way to build a world where many characters can fit, but you guys are not acknowledging the different narratives around Asgard and the cosmic world that was introduced in GotG...

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Thor started out as a mythological type of setting but quickly turned into just another dimension with aliens by the Dark World, hence why they used Asgard to introduce the greater cosmic MCU (GoTG). Otherwise, there would be no need for Asgardians to have flying hovercrafts with lasers and laser cannons in their defenses, because they are a powerful race with innate magic as well as thousands of years of combat training.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Asgaard

@haveatthee:

Yeah some parts in Thor 2 are terrible for the Asgardian concept, but we have to acknowledge that in some plots there is something special about the Asgardians like when the Collector bows to Sif and Volstagg, i would like to see more of that, instead what you said...

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I'm assuming they'll want to give more nods to the mythological Asgard in "Ragnarok." I don't think they're going to explore much of their history, though, given that they had two films to do so and they went in the totally opposite direction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure it was stated to be magic before, and it clearly is.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

I'm pretty sure it was stated to be magic before, and it clearly is.

Asgardians called a quantum field generator a "soul forge":

Loading Video...

It doesn't actually have anything to do with "souls" it's just a name, in fact they even ADMITTED that all it does is "transfer molecular energy." It's just superficial labels. If we brought an iphone to the past, people would call it witchcraft. It doesn't matter what something is called, what matters is what it actually does/is. I mean Thor even said that what is called "magic" is actually the same as science. I don't see how this is even debatable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: something can be both magic and science. I don't see how Loki teleporting and making avatars of himself is science or quantum anything. That is magic. I also don't see how theres a hammer that only Thor and Odin can lift. Its a magical hammer.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

@m_man: something can be both magic and science. I don't see how Loki teleporting and making avatars of himself is science or quantum anything. That is magic. I also don't see how theres a hammer that only Thor and Odin can lift. Its a magical hammer.

Primitives can't see how watching moving pictures, checking the weather's temperature, and sending messages across the planet on a device you can place in your pocket is science and would swear it's magic.....doesn't make it anything but science based. Also, you honestly haven't seen teleportation or illusions in sci-fi films before? We also have devises that work/are coded to certain people being used today. Mjolnir would just be a highly advanced version of that. You can call it "magic" if you want, but it's not the hocus pocus magic you think it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: That's not a valid analogy. Humans today are much smarter than primates, but Asgardians haven't been shown to be any smarter than humans. It IS magic. It is stated to be so in the movie. Its not coded. Thor can raise his hand and have it fly to him. Loki's clothes disappear and reappear at will. Loki can create illusions. It not technology he's using, it is magic. His own ability. Frigga even says that she taught Loki magic.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 SC  Moderator

To me its semantics to try and cast a large enough net to appeal to as many people as they can without offending as few people as they can. Are they aliens? Or gods? Its is magic? Or science? Or super science? Or mystic science? Yeah but yes no kinda… you know? You know…

I mean in these types of conversations, everyones definition of certain things can differ, often without people realizing it. Words also represent ideas and peoples ideas of what words mean often don't conform, and often words can have multiple meanings anyway and ideas multiple words to convey them… so it can help in discussion to understand what others mean by certain words and ideas.

I say to fans, usually, go with whatever makes sense to you, or what helps you enjoy the story more. Sometimes the story going forward won't fit that or may contradict, but eh. The way I interpret the movies, is that they are going for the magic and mysticism is an interpretation of the same forces, phenomena and energy that modern humans refer to and interpret as science/technology. In many ways it not that different from talking to a person from another culture or country.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WastelandMan
    @jayc1324 said:

@m_man: That's not a valid analogy. Humans today are much smarter than primates, but Asgardians haven't been shown to be any smarter than humans.

Having advanced tech doesn't make you inherently smarter. More knowledgeable in science, but not smarter. I can take someone from a third world country who's infinitely smarter than someone who lives in a modern day city. Krypton from MoS had far more advanced tech but was incompetent as hell. They held to an antiquated societal structure and values which basically resulted in the extinction of it's planet. The Independence Day aliens were outsmarted left and right by humans despite have far more advanced tech.

Have you read "Guns, Germs and Steel"? Being advanced is a matter of opportunity, resources, situation etc. etc. Asgardians more than likely had infinitely better resources and much more time existing (seeing as how they've existed longer than humans) to create better tech. Doesn't mean they're smarter.

It is stated to be so in the movie.

It was also explicitly stated by Thor that what humans consider "magic" is the same as science. And a "soul forge" was admitted by an Asgardian to be the same as a quantum field generator. Why do you ignore this?

Thor can raise his hand and have it fly to him.

We've had devices that can be controlled with gestures for ages....

Loki's clothes disappear and reappear at will.

I've been trying to find and post this scene in a sci fi film where they summon/change clothes on a whim. Regardless, my point remains, so what? It's advanced tech and this concept has been done in sci fi stories before.

Loki can create illusions.

Which has been done to death in sci fi stories.

It not technology he's using, it is magic. His own ability.

Given to him by advanced tech.

Frigga even says that she taught Loki magic.

Again, an asgardian called a quantum field generator a "soul forge". So what?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: if they aren't smarter how can they make better tech? More time doesn't equal better tech. You have to improve intellectually.

Thor saying magic is the same as science shows that it IS magic. Saying magic is the same as science means that it is magic. Science too, but still magic as well. I didn't acknowledge it because it serves my point, the way I see it. I don't even remember the would forge thing, but that's really just one device.

I've never seen a hammer that had an enchantment, yes a MAGICAL enchantment on it that makes sure no one unworthy can lift it and that flies to peoples hand when they want. Much different than being controlled by a gesture. Much, much different.

I don't see how it happening in other movies means it isn't magic here. Even thors cape has appeared out of thin air just by him touching Mjolnir. Thats magic to me.

If the asgardians refer to it as magic then I don't know why anyone would argue it isn't magic. Why is this even a point you're trying to make? Its like me trying to argue that Harry Potter can't do magic, just science. Loki's whole point is that he can do magic.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324:

if they aren't smarter how can they make better tech? More time doesn't equal better tech.

Again, resources. Asgard clearly has better and far more advanced resources to work with. Plus they've clearly been in contact and dealt with other advanced alien races.

You have to improve intellectually.

Who's to say they haven't? The asgardian in the clip I posted above clearly knew about quantum physics and new what molecular energy was.

Thor saying magic is the same as science shows that it IS magic. Saying magic is the same as science means that it is magic. Science too, but still magic as well. I didn't acknowledge it because it serves my point, the way I see it.

That literally makes no sense.

I don't even remember the would forge thing, but that's really just one device.

Why do they need a device like a quantum field generator when they have magic? Why call it a soul forge?

I've never seen a hammer that had an enchantment

We don't see a multitude of things in sci fi films.......does that mean all sci fi films are actually using magic?

yes a MAGICAL enchantment on it that makes sure no one unworthy can lift it and that flies to peoples hand when they want. Much different than being controlled by a gesture. Much, much different.

Things are much much different in sci fi tech.

I don't see how it happening in other movies means it isn't magic here. Even thors cape has appeared out of thin air just by him touching Mjolnir.

It shows just because it has certain elements doesn't mean it's magic. Look, why would multiple scientists be consulted when they wrote for Thor and Asgard? Why do people who made Thor even say it's based on science? How can you even deny this when people who actually made the film say otherwise?

Thats magic to me.

Again, that's all fine and good and you can call it magic if you want because it's like Arthur C. Clarke said: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." My argument is that it's just not the whole hocus pocus magic.

If the asgardians refer to it as magic then I don't know why anyone would argue it isn't magic.

Once more.......they called a quantum field generator a "soul forge" it's just labels. I can call my iPhone magic, are you going to say it's magic now because I said it is?

Why is this even a point you're trying to make? Its like me trying to argue that Harry Potter can't do magic, just science.

Harry Potter actually uses traditional magic. MCU does not.

Loki's whole point is that he can do magic.

No it isn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: Resources at worthless if you are too dumb to use them.

Humans know about quantum physics too.

Sci fi films are not relevant here. They may not be magic there but there are here in the MCU.

That's because Kevin Feige wants everything to have a basis in science. That doesn't mean it isn't magic though. He said that Dr. strange abilities will be based in quantum physics then said that Dr. Strange is going to be doing actual magic. So it can be both, like Thor said.

And its not just magic to me. It's also magic to asgardians.

IPhone isn't magic because we understand it and can build it. Asgardian stuff is impossible. Enchantments are magic dude. Harry potter uses enchantments too.

And yes that is Loki's main ability.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't magic based, they're advanced aliens hence why Feige said Strange will be the first magic based character.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

@m_man: Resources at worthless if you are too dumb to use them.

True but as you pointed out, Asgardians are about as smart as humans.

Humans know about quantum physics too.

Yes they do. But clearly they don't have the same resources.

Sci fi films are not relevant here. They may not be magic there but there are here in the MCU.

So despite all the things you listed having also existed in sci fi films and the fact that writers and producers stated that it isn't magic, you're still saying it is? How does that make sense?

That's because Kevin Feige wants everything to have a basis in science. That doesn't mean it isn't magic though.

Magic has no basis in science. You don't see a magic branch of study in science do you?

He said that Dr. strange abilities will be based in quantum physics then said that Dr. Strange is going to be doing actual magic.

I read the review with Feige, when did he ever say that?

So it can be both, like Thor said.

No, he said what they identify as science is the same.

And its not just magic to me. It's also magic to asgardians.

They call it magic but it's not. Once more.....they called a quantum field generator a "soul forge"....they can call it whatever they want. In the game Destiny they use supernatural/magic based labels all the time....they called floating AIs "Ghosts" and people with special science based abilities "Warlocks." So what?

IPhone isn't magic because we understand it and can build it.

So if we send an iPhone back in time is it magic because no one there can comprehend it?

Asgardian stuff is impossible.

So is 99% of everything shown in sci fi films. Doesn't mean it's magic.

Enchantments are magic dude.

Enchantments is a label. Again....for the millionth time, they call a quantum field generator a "soul forge"....it has nothing to do with souls or forging and they even say it transfers molecular energy. No magic actually being used anywhere.

Harry potter uses enchantments too.

They're clearly different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: It makes sense because the characters and writers have also said that it is magic too. It is both science and magic.

It doesn't matter if there is a magic branch. Magic likely isn't real and we know nothing about it. It can still he based in science though.

I will try to find the article. He says it will be the first time MCU tackles magic full on like this.

Thor said magic and science are one in the same. Magic is science and science is magic. To asgardians at least.

No, people not comprehending stuff doesn't make it magic.

They aren't clearly different. Mjolnir has an enchantment on it, like a legitimate spell that gives it the ability to judge who is worthy and fly miles across the world to that person. Loki can teleport like Harry Potter can apparate. Loki can shape shift like there are potions to change your appearance. Loki casts illusions. Illusions are often magical. The characters themselves refer to it as magic. I don't see how you can look at all these spells and illusions and blatant acknowledgements of magic and just say "nope". You are making excuses and creating false analogies with your iPhone.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

@m_man: It makes sense because the characters and writers have also said that it is magic too. It is both science and magic.

You can call it magic, it's just not traditional hocus pocus magic.

It doesn't matter if there is a magic branch. Magic likely isn't real and we know nothing about it. It can still he based in science though.

When has magic been based on science anywhere, ever?

I will try to find the article. He says it will be the first time MCU tackles magic full on like this.

I read the only interview. He said it's based on quantum physics and science......

Thor said magic and science are one in the same. Magic is science and science is magic. To asgardians at least.

Sure, I know that. But just because they call it magic doesn't mean it is.

No, people not comprehending stuff doesn't make it magic.

That's basically your argument here. You can't see how it could be science therefore it isn't was basically what you said.

They aren't clearly different.

When they were using some of their "magic" they were using the equivalent of a tablet device to control it:

No Caption Provided

Want to post a scene from Harry Potter were Hermione busts out an iPad to control one of her spells?

Mjolnir has an enchantment on it, like a legitimate spell that gives it the ability to judge who is worthy and fly miles across the world to that person.

Advanced tech.

Loki can teleport like Harry Potter can apparate. Loki can shape shift like there are potions to change your appearance. Loki casts illusions. Illusions are often magical.

All that's happened in Star Trek. Cool.

The characters themselves refer to it as magic.

They called a quantum field generator a soul forge. People in destiny are called Warlocks. (How many times have I pointed this out before?)

I don't see how you can look at all these spells and illusions and blatant acknowledgements of magic and just say "nope". You are making excuses and creating false analogies with your iPhone.

..............the writers, produces, and multiple scientists who worked on the film say it's science......you're basically saying you know more about the film than the people who actually created it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: Now you're just being nitpicky with this hocus pocus stuff.

Magic has been based on science in Thor and soon in Dr strange.

It is a different interview then.

My argument is that the characters say it is magic, so it is.

I don't know what that picture is from but that has nothing to do with Loki or Mjolnir.

Once again, it doesn't matter where else it happened. Different universes.

Not sure why the soul forge which I still don't recall matters? They are alien gods they can call it whatever they want to.

Feige said it was based in science, not that it is outright science. They have described things as magical before, and they did make it canon that Frigga taught Loki magic.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

@m_man: Now you're just being nitpicky with this hocus pocus stuff.

How? The difference is that one is tech so advanced you can call it magic and one is just magic.

Magic has been based on science in Thor and soon in Dr strange.

Yes the magic is based on science but it's not actual magic. The concept of REAL magic has nothing to do with science.

My argument is that the characters say it is magic, so it is.

Cool. Destiny has people called Warlocks, therefore they are, right?

I don't know what that picture is from but that has nothing to do with Loki or Mjolnir.

It's from Thor 2 in the very clip I posted above when they used the "soul forge." Asgardian tech/science....same as Loki and Mjolnir.

Once again, it doesn't matter where else it happened. Different universes.

Which is why you brought up Harry Potter, right?

Not sure why the soul forge which I still don't recall matters?

What you recall is irrelevant to what actually is.

They are alien gods they can call it whatever they want to.

Exactly my point.....people can call whatever they want anything they want doesn't make it what it actually is.

Feige said it was based in science, not that it is outright science.

Everything in sci fi and future films is based on science.

They have described things as magical before

Yeah so have characters in sci fi films.

and they did make it canon that Frigga taught Loki magic.

She called what she taught Loki magic, just as they called a quantum field generator a "soul forge."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: I'll stick to what people who actually k ow what they are talking about (Feige and the character) say because you are going in circles with your crazy analogies that make no sense. Most of your response wasn't even about thor, its about other movies and genres for some reason..

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

They aren't magic based, they're advanced aliens hence why Feige said Strange will be the first magic based character.

Of course this doesn't necessarily preclude the use of magic by any or all Asgardians if Feige is confirming its existence/introduction to the MCU in the Dr. Strange movie. It would be ridiculous then to say magic didn't exist prior to Dr. Strange. Anyway I'm kind of looking at it as they're so far along to be able to easily and routinely use a combination of magic and science tech and not readily distinguish one from the other. If you look back to the stories from the 70s especially there was a lot of blurring the lines between sci-fi and sword and sorcery within the pages of Thor, hell even going back further to the Lee/Kirby era it's there as well.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rogueshadow  Moderator

I want it to be magic, but it isn't.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

@m_man: I'll stick to what people who actually k ow what they are talking about (Feige and the character) say because you are going in circles with your crazy analogies that make no sense. Most of your response wasn't even about thor, its about other movies and genres for some reason..

Good, because Feige, writers, and actual scientists of the film said that the "magic" is actually just really advanced technology:

"The premise is based on the idea that Thor and company aren’t gods, they just have much more advanced technology than we do."

Oh and one of the scientists of the film even clarified what Thor meant:

"In one scene Jane makes goo-goo eyes at Thor as he talks about all this apparent magic just being very advanced science."

Oh but of course you know better than them on what they actually meant, right? They clearly don't know what they're talking about. Give me a break, dude. Seriously dude these^ were straight from the horses mouths and you refuse to accept reality. You just see what you want to see. The conversation also only went in circles because you used one-sided standards and tried to play a superficial semantics game.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uugieboogie

@m_man said:

@jayc1324:

Loki's whole point is that he can do magic.

No it isn't.

But it is, he's referred too multiples as a sorcerer. So is Frigga who he learned them from. I think they were trying to keep it a mystery to appeal to a wider audience. They still call them aliens & Fury keeps saying he's from another planet but you cleary see that they're in a different dimension.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: them being in another diemension doesn't mean it's magic.

When is he referred as a sorcerer?

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WastelandMan

@uugieboogie said:
    @m_man said:

@jayc1324:

No it isn't.

But it is, he's referred too multiples as a sorcerer. So is Frigga who he learned them from.

People in the game Destiny are called Warlocks. They're just labels. Also, refer to what a scientist who worked on the film said:

"In one scene Jane makes goo-goo eyes at Thor as he talks about all this apparent magic just being very advanced science."

Their terms for things mean something different than ours. They called a quantum field generator a "soul forge":

Loading Video...

I think they were trying to keep it a mystery to appeal to a wider audience.

You're right. They wanted to keep the workings of the technology ambiguous to make it feel more mystical but it's still just that, technology.

They still call them aliens & Fury keeps saying he's from another planet but you cleary see that they're in a different dimension.

Another dimension doesn't mean it's magical.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man said:
    @jayc1324 said:

Good, because Feige, writers, and actual scientists of the film said that the "magic" is actually just really advanced technology:

"The premise is based on the idea that Thor and company aren’t gods, they just have much more advanced technology than we do."

But do they have more advanced technology than the other Aliens?

We can't just refuse to acknowledge the narrative perspective, and the mysticism always will be present in the Asgardian plots and always will allow ambiguous interpretations, if not Asgard concept has no purpose in the Mcu and couldn't be differentiated from the other Aliens, and always was, the fact is that from the narrative point of view is not the advanced technology that makes the Asgardians special to the eyes of the other Aliens.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WastelandMan

@asgaard said:

From what has been shown so far, yes, they have far more advanced tech. Why?

We can't just refuse to acknowledge the narrative perspective, and the mysticism always will be present in the Asgardian plots and always will allow ambiguous interpretations, if not Asgard concept has no purpose in the Mcu and couldn't be differentiated from the other Aliens, and always was, the fact is that from the narrative point of view is not the advanced technology that makes the Asgardians special to the eyes of the other Aliens.

I'm not saying they're not special though, they clearly are. I'm just saying they don't use actual magic, just advanced science.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: Asgardians themselves say it is magic. You are the one who wanted to argue semantics with me in the first place. Enchantments are magic. They didn't say magic didn't exist. Advanced science is magic in this case. If it was just science then frigga and other Asgardians wouldn't refer to it as magic. There's no problem accepting reality. There's nothing scientific about their abilities. They can be considered gods too. Fury called Thor a god. Widow called Thor and loki gods. Loki considers himself a god. The poster of the first Thor movie had "God of Thunder" on it.. Tell me- why would the writers have asgardians refer to Loki abikites as magical? And frigga? If it was just science then they would say that frigga taught him science, but they said magic. The scientists and producers can say it is science but we can form our own opinions, and in this case it is an opinion shared by the people who are actually doing the magic (Loki/frigga).

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Asgaard
    @m_man said:
    @asgaard said:

From what has been shown so far, yes, they have far more advanced tech. Why?

No they don't, Malekith and the Dark Elves tech was superior and they were in suspended animation for thousands of years, and Asgard never care to improve their tech because that is not and never will be their core...

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WastelandMan

@jayc1324 said:

Asgardians themselves say it is magic.

Their definitions and meanings make no difference. For the trillionth billionth time, they called a quantum field generator a "soul forge" ffs.

You are the one who wanted to argue semantics with me in the first place.

No I didn't.

Enchantments are magic.

And soul forges are magic too right?

They didn't say magic didn't exist.

Irrelevant.

Advanced science is magic in this case.

Good. That's what I've been saying. Their magic is actually just advanced science. Glad we agree.

If it was just science then frigga and other Asgardians wouldn't refer to it as magic.

So first you say it's advanced science, but now you say it isn't? Also, again, what about the machine they called a "soul forge"? How about a new example, the bifrost which is confirmed byone of the scientist of the film is a machine that opens worm holes.

There's no problem accepting reality.

Accept for you apparently.

There's nothing scientific about their abilities.

Yeah, the SCIENTISTS who worked on the film don't know what they're talking about, right? You know what SCIENCE is better than actual SCIENTISTS right?

They can be considered gods too.

A lot of things can be considered gods that aren't magical in any way shape or form.

Fury called Thor a god. Widow called Thor and loki gods. Loki considers himself a god. The poster of the first Thor movie had "God of Thunder" on it..

Again, I would think someone who reads/watches fiction would know that people are labeled Gods all the time. Fury also called him an alien.

Tell me- why would the writers have asgardians refer to Loki abikites as magical? And frigga? If it was just science then they would say that frigga taught him science, but they said magic.

I've told you a million times, their definitiopns and meanings are different. Quantum field generator. Soul forge. It's like these words are invisible to you.

The scientists and producers can say it is science but we can form our own opinions,

Yeah, the people who actually made and wrote the film are wrong, right?

and in this case it is an opinion shared by the people who are actually doing the magic (Loki/frigga).

Quantum field generator. Soul forge.

Wormhole generator. Bifrost.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

No they don't, Malekith and the Dark Elves tech was superior and they were in suspended animation for thousands of years, and Asgard never care to improve their tech because that is not and never will be their core...

I didn't say they were superior to all aliens in every regard, just in general.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By uugieboogie

@m_man said:

People in the game Destiny are called Warlocks. They're just labels. Also, refer to what a scientist who worked on the film said:

Their terms for things mean something different than ours. They called a quantum field generator a "soul forge":

Loading Video...

I think they were trying to keep it a mystery to appeal to a wider audience.

You're right. They wanted to keep the workings of the technology ambiguous to make it feel more mystical but it's still just that, technology.

They still call them aliens & Fury keeps saying he's from another planet but you cleary see that they're in a different dimension.

Another dimension doesn't mean it's magical.

• Please don't use Destiny as a reference when their ENTIRE lore is filled w/ plot holes. "Also Warlocks have long studied the Traveler, mastering some of its arcane energies. Its true purpose still remains a great mystery, but discovering truth has always driven you into the unknown. Now, our enemies are the only thing that stands between you and the lost wonders of our Golden Age."
    • You keep using the same scene & the same quote. Thats one thing, that still doesn't explain Loki & Mjolnir. & Thor doesn't say its very advance technology, he says "Your ancestors called it magic and you call it science, well I come from a place where they're one in the same thing". He's not essentially saying his people just use advance tech. He could be implying that science itself is primitive magic, or he can be implying they use both magic & science a bit of mystical science. Marvel does this get a wider audience & appeal to more people. You have to think about the people who don't believe in higher beings & ppl don't get the magic concept & scientific people who believes there's an explanation for everything. You still have to make a film that relates to those ppl too so why not make it a mystery & let each person have there own perception of it.
    Loading Video...

• You say Thor is the one who basically said they use advanced tech right? In the beginning of AoU its completely the opposite when it comes to everyone trying lift Mjolnir.
    • I never said being from a different dimension had anything to do with magic. What I'm saying his you keep saying ppl on screen keeps referencing them as using advanced tech. They also reference Thor & the Asgardians as being aliens from a different planet. Asgard sits in a different dimension, thats goes to show how much on screen in character they know about the Asgardians.
    Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

And this is why I'm starting to hate the MCU; they're butchering some of their most important characters. I hope DCEU doesn't go that route with Wonder Woman.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man said:
    @asgaard said:

I didn't say they were superior to all aliens in every regard, just in general.

The Asgardian individual capabilities is what makes the Asgardian superior to the other Aliens, if you don't acknowledge that fact there are no more stories to tell with them, but the end of all things is coming...

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Also, I hate the hypocrisy in Fiege. "Magic is unbelievable" YET MAKES FILMS ABOUT A MAN WHO SURVIVED A GAMMA BURST (which would kill ANY other human instantly), A MOVIE ABOUT A SUPEHERO THAT HAS A HAMMER WHO HE AND A FEW OTHERS CAN ONLY LIFT, A MOVIE WITH A TALKING RACCOON, AND A MOVIE WHERE AN ALIENPROCREATED WITH A HUMAN BEING, A PERSON OF AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPECIES FROM AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PLANET!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.