Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Should Thor Belong to Another Comic Company?

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Malevolent1

I love the Thor forums. There are enough threads here that indicate to me that fans of the character are very passionate about him. I also notice a lot around here seem to share Stan Lee's original vision of the character of Thor as a "Superman killer", meaning, Stan Lee created the character of Thor (borrowing from Norse mythology) because he wanted "a cape" at Marvel comics and somenone who could actually, not only outdo all the characters that had, at that point in time, become hits (Fantastic Four, Hulk...), but become Marvel's one-up to DC's Superman.

However, Marvel no longer seems to share that vision. Thor's power levels, particularly the decade beginning 2000 (Quesada's era), seem to be up and down, and Marvel could care less whether or not Thor gets punked in an Inter-Company crossover (Jim Shooter - where are you when we need you man!).

So...who here thinks the character Thor would best be served somewhere else? Image? Dark Horse? I would be willing to bet someone at one of those two companies would LOVE to have the extra money Thor fans could afford them, and would have no reservations about writing the Thunder God to his potential. Heck, maybe someone could hire Todd McFarlane to inject new life, and a new direction, into the God of Thunder.

Thoughts?

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By revbucky

It's hard (no, impossible) for me imagine Thor being produced by anyone other than Marvel. I've been reading Thor for over 40 years (yeah, I'm an old geek) and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly from Marvel's bullpen. I understand your concern and you are probably right, another publisher could give us a far greater Thor. Why can't Marvel get their act together and do it right? With the success of the recent movie and the upcoming Avengers movie, you think Marvel would "seize the day" and take the God of Thunder to a new level.

Time will tell.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Primmaster64

Yea, but not Marvel's Thor.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By gravitypress

I agree with revbucky Thor's universe isn't the problem. I think the problem lies in trying to humanize a god. It shouldn't be done. It seems like gods would be slow to change so Thor going from a Happy adventurer to emotional and sad seems completely out of character.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jeanroygrant

@revbucky said:

It's hard (no, impossible) for me imagine Thor being produced by anyone other than Marvel. I've been reading Thor for over 40 years (yeah, I'm an old geek) and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly from Marvel's bullpen. I understand your concern and you are probably right, another publisher could give us a far greater Thor. Why can't Marvel get their act together and do it right? With the success of the recent movie and the upcoming Avengers movie, you think Marvel would "seize the day" and take the God of Thunder to a new level.

Time will tell.

This.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Malevolent1

@revbucky said:

Time will tell.

I hear you. Thor was one of my all time favorites back in the 70s. It is very sad for me to see Thor where he is today. On another comic site, fans of Thor, including myself, have complained, I'm guessing, to people fairly close to those who could carry those complaints to the higher ups. We were consistently trolled by one of the mods over there. I finally gave up discussing the issue. I really don't think anyone at Marvel really gives a crap what direction Thor is headed in, or whether or not there is any consistency in the way the character is portrayed. Marvel WILL not get there act together. As you know, Stan tried to design characters around a level of "suspension of disbelief". Joe Quesada ushered in the era of, "It's comics! Anything goes!!", which mantra incidentally, Matt Fraction has also adopted. Stan designed Thor to be a competitor in power to Superman. When Quesada took over...well we all know where that theory went; down the crapper. And remember; writer's and artists and editors can all be fanboys. Kurt Busiek, who is in a pretty high position over at Marvel is a huge Superman fan and has professed he is not a Thor fan. See how that might be problematic to writing Thor the way Stan intended him? It will not happen as long as the character remains at Marvel. And yeah, you would think that Marvel would be riding the crest of popularity the character is currently enjoying. Again, people at all levels are fans of characters. Mark my words; as long as Thor remains at Marvel comics, the character will never be portrayed by Marvel as Stan Lee intended the character to be.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Malevolent1

And by the way; prepare for disappointment if you think Marvel will portray Thor accurately in the Avengers movie. Thor was always "depowered" in the Avengers comic. Expect the same in the movie. It is irritating though when my kids or wife watches, like the "Hulk vs" DVD, where Wolverine actually makes a better showing than Thor. I feel the need to educate (and have) whenever I see baloney like that.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#8  Edited By AssertingValor

Thor is already the best in my heart :), i don't need a new company to write him to make me think he is better than superman!......

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By PowerHerc

@Malevolent1 said:

It is irritating though when my kids or wife watches, like the "Hulk vs" DVD, where Wolverine actually makes a better showing than Thor. I feel the need to educate (and have) whenever I see baloney like that.

Yes! Yes! A thousand times; Yes!!!

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#10  Edited By TheCannon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

Absolutely not. Thor is who and what he is today because of Marvel. Giving him to another company would change the very purpose of the character.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thor's hammmer

No.
    grevous11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By grevous11

No, but I feel your pain about he avengers thing. If they fight in the movie and iron man wins, I might end up standing up in the theater and yelling...

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By majestic99

@Malevolent1 said:

And by the way; prepare for disappointment if you think Marvel will portray Thor accurately in the Avengers movie. Thor was always "depowered" in the Avengers comic. Expect the same in the movie. It is irritating though when my kids or wife watches, like the "Hulk vs" DVD, where Wolverine actually makes a better showing than Thor. I feel the need to educate (and have) whenever I see baloney like that.

PIS. Craig Kyle and Craig Johnson want to make Thor look weak.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Malevolent1

Mmmm....as does Kurt Busiek evidently.

*sigh*

My Europenan connection on CBR has said Thor has some of the best feats in the Avengers movie and that was not upstaged by Iron Man or Hulk. I'm assuming by now, everyone knows who the villain is in Avengers 2?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By THORSON

thor has made it big for marvel. i don't think any other company would make thor as valuable as marvel has, not including marvels crap to THOR in recent years.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By The_Thunderer

I just think maybe marvel should hire a new writer (potentially poach from another company) to write Thor, but he is Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.