Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Review: Thor #612

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    As Hela relocates the domain of her kingdom to new territory in hell, Thor attempts to enlist the aide of Mephisto himself to aid the Aesir's fight against the death eaters.

The Good

Gillen's characterization of Mephisto is the stand-out of this issue. I enjoyed all his lines, especially his interactions with the ever-stoic Thor. His speech was refined, but still streetwise, and I liked how the differences between his personality and Loki's were stressed (how he's able to sniff out a ploy from the death eaters.) Though things get a little confusing (more on that below) I still enjoyed the notion of Valhalla's demons colliding with the demons of a different corner of the Marvel Universe. The results are much more unpredictable than the usual "villains team up against the hero" plot, with varying levels of gray and bartered alliances. And I continue to be impressed by Gillen's command of these characters' more classical speech style.

The Bad

I'll bring this up every single time I see it because it looks awful every single time I see it. Braithwaite is an amazing penciler and the coloring team on this book has great skill, but without inks, their art looks like mud on the page. It kept taking me out of the story and I was wishing for the line work of somebody like Bill Reinhold to tighten this up. Production qualms aside, I also got a little mixed up by all the intersecting mythology. I wasn't quite sure if we were in Hela's hell, or Mephisto's hell, or which sections of which.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

I've been enjoying Gillen's take on this title up until this point, but things have gotten a little muddy in this issue, both in the art and the story.  Mostly, I feel like I would've enjoyed this issue a lot more and understood it a lot better if there had been an inker involved. That might seem to be a small thing to harp on, but any serious comics fan will know how important an inker is and how lacking a reading experience can be without one.
    mystery997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By mystery997

u gotta be chizzing me
    rightprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rightprice

That's a wicked image of Thor above.  Is that the cover of this issue?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By doordoor123

The cover sold me but i wasnt too impressed by this issue.

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ckal

Wow that cover is amazing. Who was on cover duty?

I still gotta pick this one up, only one more then Fraction's run in September I believe. Don't worry @Zack Freeman, there should be inkers on the next run.

Also, didn't Secret Avengers #3 come out on the 28th too? Are you going to do a review on that as well?

merkasylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By merkasylum

Djurdjevic did the cover, for those that are asking.
    I have to disagree with you about the Braithwaite thing. I LOVED it without the inks. So much looser and organic. It works well for this i thought.   Like Cary Nord's work on Conan.
    That's all i have to say.

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ceniza

I wanna ask something, someone been reading "Avengers Prime"? cuz there is a hela storyline there, and it completely collides with this one. Both storys have their own merits, but, c'mon, the step on each other tails!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.