Respect Thor

• 159 results
#101 Posted by SC (13396 posts) - - Show Bio
@majestic99: Well I actually disagree to the notion Superman has superior speed. Superman has consistently better speed feats, because Superman has deus ex machina speed, same as Thor. So why would Superman end up with better speed feats if they both have the same supposed speed level? Superman often goes up against more characters with super speed and so its a reaction to that. Superman has more inconsistency with his own speed, Superman has higher consistency with higher speed feats, those who think absence of evidence is evidence of absence aka feats is the only or best way to know characters justify this as Superman demonstrating superior speed! When its not really. As is the case with fictional characters, with multiple writers and editors set in different independent fictional Universes with radically different structures and ideas of how to make money, there is no easy answer to objective measurements.  (aka bump)
#102 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

@majestic99: Well I actually disagree to the notion Superman has superior speed. Superman has consistently better speed feats, because Superman has deus ex machina speed, same as Thor. So why would Superman end up with better speed feats if they both have the same supposed speed level? Superman often goes up against more characters with super speed and so its a reaction to that. Superman has more inconsistency with his own speed, Superman has higher consistency with higher speed feats, those who think absence of evidence is evidence of absence aka feats is the only or best way to know characters justify this as Superman demonstrating superior speed! When its not really. As is the case with fictional characters, with multiple writers and editors set in different independent fictional Universes with radically different structures and ideas of how to make money, there is no easy answer to objective measurements. (aka bump)

Great post, sir.

#103 Edited by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

Mental Durability

Thor's immortal mind is equally durable and while not immune, he is highly resistant to mental tampering. Here, he resists the Mind Thrust attack of the Rigellians in Thor Annual #4:

Here, a hallucinogenic mist only appears to affect Thor, who in reality was feigning unconsciousness in Thor #172:

As Vision recounts, Thor is immune to the magical music influence of Ares in Avengers #98:

Here, he resists the Stranger's mind-blast where Moondragon (herself a considerable telepath) cannot, from Avengers #138:

The Egyptian god, Horus, uses the Eye of Horus to subdue Thor but is unsuccessful in Thor #240:

During Infinity War, Thor frees himself from Moondragon's and the Goddess' mental manipulations of Thor's mind, from Infinity Watch #21:

Direct mental blasts from Moondragon's Mind Gem are equally useless during the Blood and Thunder arc in Thor #469:

Here, Thor casts out Loki's spiritual influence from his mind in Thor Annual #19:

Thor is also the first Avenger to realize Morgana's warping of the world using her magic, the Scarlet Witch's power and the Twilight Sword and then resist her domination over his mind, in Avengers vol. 3 #2:

#104 Posted by karetaker (1565 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP

#105 Posted by TheCannon (19465 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you.

I never get how Superman beats Thor, let alone it being a stomp.

#106 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Thank you.

I never get how Superman beats Thor, let alone it being a stomp.

Neither are true.

Here is the entire thread.

#107 Posted by FuZySLiPeRz (71 posts) - - Show Bio

nice thread

#108 Posted by WarBlade539 (4758 posts) - - Show Bio
beats the snot out of Thanos

@majestic99:

#109 Posted by Saren (25119 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: That was not Thanos. It was one of his doppelgangers.

#110 Posted by WarBlade539 (4758 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: In which issue it is shown that it was not Thanos but one of his doppelgangers?

#111 Posted by Saren (25119 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: In Infinity Abyss #3, and then confirmed again in Thanos #1.

#112 Posted by WarBlade539 (4758 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Thanks.

#113 Edited by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Invisibility/Intangibility

2. Tracking

3. Teleportation

4. Energy Absorption

5. Durability

Avengers Annual #8: Disrupting Vision's phasing ability

Avengers #300: Making a fellow Avenger invisible

2. Tracking

Thor #292: Finding Odin's discarded eye

Journey Into Mystery #108: Tracking Asgardians by their electron's discharge

Thor Corps #4: Tracking people to the Void in between dimensions

3. Teleportation

Thor #192: Teleporting people to Limbo

Mighty Avengers #34: Ripping open space time to get to the Isle of Silence in response to Loki's plea

Thor Annual #9: Going to the Dark Dimension

Avengers #309: Teleporting himself to the Negative Zone.

4. Energy Absorption

Avengers Annual #8: Thor absorbing and redirecting Kang's radiation

Avengers #70: Absorbing Hyperion's heat vision

Silver Surfer #4: Absorbing the Power Cosmic

Avengers #310: Absorbing Blastaar's attacks

Journey Into Mystery #110: Absorbing Hemidall's Cosmic Flames

Thor#328: Absorbing electricity

5. Durability

Thor Annual #14: Standing in the center of the sun

#114 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Who is your avatar?

#115 Edited by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@NerdsFTW said:

2. Tracking

3. Teleportation

4. Energy Absorption

5. Durability

Avengers Annual #8: Disrupting Vision's phasing ability

Avengers #300: Making a fellow Avenger invisible

2. Tracking

Thor #292: Finding Odin's discarded eye

Journey Into Mystery #108: Tracking Asgardians by their electron's discharge

Thor Corps #4: Tracking people to the Void in between dimensions

3. Teleportation

Thor #192: Teleporting people to Limbo

Mighty Avengers #34: Ripping open space time to get to the Isle of Silence in response to Loki's plea

Thor Annual #9: Going to the Dark Dimension

Avengers #309: Teleporting himself to the Negative Zone.

4. Energy Absorption

Avengers Annual #8: Thor absorbing and redirecting Kang's radiation

Avengers #70: Absorbing Hyperion's heat vision

Silver Surfer #4: Absorbing the Power Cosmic

Avengers #310: Absorbing Blastaar's attacks

Journey Into Mystery #110: Absorbing Hemidall's Cosmic Flames

Thor#328: Absorbing electricity

5. Durability

Thor Annual #14: Standing in the center of the sun

Thor disrupted his Phasing ability? Then why didn' the F'ng do it in the show. Jesus Christ, Disney/Marvel.

#116 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

@majestic99: Well I actually disagree to the notion Superman has superior speed. Superman has consistently better speed feats, because Superman has deus ex machina speed, same as Thor. So why would Superman end up with better speed feats if they both have the same supposed speed level? Superman often goes up against more characters with super speed and so its a reaction to that. Superman has more inconsistency with his own speed, Superman has higher consistency with higher speed feats, those who think absence of evidence is evidence of absence aka feats is the only or best way to know characters justify this as Superman demonstrating superior speed! When its not really. As is the case with fictional characters, with multiple writers and editors set in different independent fictional Universes with radically different structures and ideas of how to make money, there is no easy answer to objective measurements. (aka bump)

Nice ^_^

#117 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaRed86: What?

#118 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@NerdsFTW said:

@OmegaRed86: What?

In Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Vision was attacking the Avengers and no one could hit him. Thor would attack, but VIsion would phase through the ground and then throw Thor. After that scan of Thor dismantling Vision, I'm disappointed in what I saw in the show.

#119 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaRed86 said:

In Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Vision was attacking the Avengers and no one could hit him. Thor would attack, but VIsion would phase through the ground and then throw Thor. After that scan of Thor dismantling Vision, I'm disappointed in what I saw in the show.

I don't know if you knew this, but that show is written by the same people who wrote Hulk vs Thor, and make Thor a complete punching bag. He only has flight, weather control, and teleportation(as usual, thor doesn't have any of classic abilities) and on top of that can somehow be taken by skrulls with energy weapons when the dude has sat in the core of the sun.

At school, when I ask people would they rather have thor's powers or superman's, I always have to explain the movies and shows make him look like a piece of sh*t compared to his comicbook counterpart, and I spend about 10 minutes explaining all of his powers(mainly mjolnir's).

people ask me why is Thor so pathetic in movies where as they don't treat superman the same, I say it's because superman has better writers.

#120 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get how characters like hulk and juggs can beat him, thor could teleport them into the sun for crying out loud.

#121 Posted by BigCimmerian (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10 said:

I don't get how characters like hulk and juggs can beat him, thor could teleport them into the sun for crying out loud.

When fighting against mortals Thor holds back because he's afraid he could kill them. Also he is friend with Bruce Banner.

#122 Posted by ndm5 (474 posts) - - Show Bio

Anymore feats?

#123 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

don't listen those losers.

thor can beat superman, superman can beat thor.

#124 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian said:

@samuel_larson_10 said:

When fighting against mortals Thor holds back because he's afraid he could kill them. Also he is friend with Bruce Banner.

#125 Posted by Hoenhime (137 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is wonderful.

#126 Edited by gou10t (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian said:

@samuel_larson_10 said:

CORRECTION. Teleporting them into the sun wouldn't do anything.

Juggernaut and Hulk, the avatar of Cytorrak who composes what's called his "crimson cosmos" of power and the Gamma-powered monster, are one of the world's most powerful Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Surface and core solar temperatures certainly don't affect them. These guys are at LEAST as powerful as Thor if not moreso.

Secondly,

Every character holds back. Thor is not the only one who uses some measure of restraint. If no one exercised any restraint you wouldn't just see hard knocks in Marvel fights, you'd see characters going into a berserker rage and unleashing more than enough lethal force in every strike for a death blow.

Hulk does not hit critical mass and grow in strength every time he fights someone on his strength level. Hulk only increases when he's really being pushed to the very edge.

Thor and Hulk would still be on equal ground if they both were really trying to take each other down. Thor has the edge in versatility with more tools for weaponization than than ironman, but Hulk has the edge in raw power.

Thor can hurt the Hulk but he's wasting his time trying to finish Hulk. Those just as just as stronger or stronger than Thor have tried and failed. Thor only way out of this fight is to banish Hulk to another dimension of the universe.

And finally,

Trying to argue that is stronger by using a comicbook (an isssue of Defenders ) where Thor and Hulk were shown as equal because that's how writers wanted it in order to avoid fan contervesy over who's stronger is bogus.

I respectfully say to the Thor fans who can only uplift Thor by degrading other characters, especially ones who outclass him in one way or another, please read something other than a Thor book so can truly have some deep enough knowledge about other characters so you won't try to berate them every time you get a chance, also extending to not taking what happens on-panel out of context when ever it suits you.

#127 Posted by BigCimmerian (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

@gou10t said:

@BigCimmerian said:

@samuel_larson_10 said:

Juggernaut and Hulk, the avatar of Cytorrak who composes what's called his "crimson cosmos" of power and the Gamma-powered monster, are one of the world's most powerful Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Surface and core solar temperatures certainly don't affect them. These guys are at LEAST as powerful as Thor if not moreso.

Secondly,

Every character holds back. Thor is not the only one who uses some measure of restraint. If no one exercised any restraint you wouldn't just see hard knocks in Marvel fights, you'd see characters going into a berserker rage and unleashing more than enough lethal force in every strike for a death blow.

Hulk does not hit critical mass and grow in strength every time he fights someone on his strength level. Hulk only increases when he's really being pushed to the very edge.

Thor and Hulk would still be on equal ground if they both were really trying to take each other down. Thor has the edge in versatility with more tools for weaponization than than ironman, but Hulk has the edge in raw power.

Thor can hurt the Hulk but he's wasting his time trying to finish Hulk. Those just as just as stronger or stronger than Thor have tried and failed. Thor only way out of this fight is to banish Hulk to another dimension of the universe.

And finally,

Trying to argue that is stronger by using a comicbook (an isssue of Defenders ) where Thor and Hulk were shown as equal because that's how writers wanted it in order to avoid fan contervesy over who's stronger is bogus.

I respectfully say to the Thor fans who can only uplift Thor by degrading other characters, especially ones who outclass him in one way or another, please read something other than a Thor book so can truly have some deep enough knowledge about other characters so you won't try to berate them every time you get a chance, also extending to not taking what happens on-panel out of context when ever it suits you.

Hulk doesn't have enough feats to put him into Thor's category.

#128 Posted by Asagod (292 posts) - - Show Bio

@gou10t said:

@BigCimmerian said:

@samuel_larson_10 said:

Secondly,

And finally,

So what? Thor and Hulk are evenly matched in strength but Thor still has a literally list of other super powers. And Thor holds back much more than anyone else does. Has Thor ever fight against anyone without holding back? I don't think so. While Hulk holds back only in strength terms, Thor holds back in everything - lightnings, punches, Mjolnir throws, etc. Even if Hulk were stronger than Thor (I mean, by a large range), he would still be outclassed by all other Thor powers. A bloodlusted Thor would simply stomp Hulk IMO.

#129 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread was created for all the wrong reasons.

#130 Posted by Pyrogram (41341 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunGunW said:

This thread was created for all the wrong reasons.

Why?

#131 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: It was created to disrespect Superman.

#132 Posted by Pyrogram (41341 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunGunW said:

@Pyrogram: It was created to disrespect Superman.

Was it? really?

#133 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: I think it was anyway. I think this in the intro was unnecessary

I've heard people say Superman curbstomps Thor, or Superman can solo Thor and Beta Ray Bill. Which IS DUMB. Time to show

people the true God of Thunder. ALL credit to KMC and their "Respect Thor:Lord of Asgard" thread.

#134 Posted by Pyrogram (41341 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunGunW: I guess, but the thread is good regardless.

#135 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: I agree

#136 Posted by butterflykyss (3961 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

Weather Control: Wielding Mjonir grants Thor the ability to control the base elements of a storm, i.e. rain, wind, thunder, lightning and more. He can create giant raging electrical storms complete with thunder, lightning, hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, blizzards, tidal waves, exploding volcanoes, earthquakes and torrential rains across entire planets at a moment's notice. He can also create any of these phenomena individually. Another aspect of this power allows him to stop any of these weather conditions instantly as well. Thor can create storms on a planetary wide scale or larger if needed, and is not limited to the normal limits of Mother Nature and can go beyond and defy what natural weather can do such as creating rain in space where there is no atmosphere. Thor's ability to control and create storms extends to any and all storms as he has been shown to control and create raging temporal storms in time, create Solar Flares, powerful stellar winds in space and so on.

So can someone provide clarification. I have never quite understood this. Can Thor control the weather without Mjolnir and if so are there any scans that would support this, because the bolded statement seems to imply that he cannot.

Thanks

#137 Edited by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss: I think Mjolnir allows Thor to channel lightning/weather abilites more powerfully and accurately, but he has been shown to use lightning without the aid of Mjolnir, including in the latest issue of Thor: God of Thunder.

There's a thread on his weather feats, with and without Mjolnir: http://www.comicvine.com/thor/29-2268/thor-weather-feats/92-672172/?page=2

#138 Posted by butterflykyss (3961 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky said:

@butterflykyss: I think Mjolnir allows Thor to channel lightning/weather abilites more powerfully and accurately, but he has been shown to use lightning without the aid of Mjolnir, including in the latest issue of Thor: God of Thunder.

There's a thread on his weather feats, with and without Mjolnir: http://www.comicvine.com/thor/29-2268/thor-weather-feats/92-672172/?page=2

Oh cool thanks for the info!!!! :D

#139 Posted by Pyrogram (41341 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky said:

Wicked thread.

#140 Posted by jayrockwell (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Indeed

#141 Edited by LeeSensei (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

@Thorgoki

: Hi **smiles** Marvel.com's ratings tend to be inaccurate. Their wiki system is/was plagued with glitches and bugs and the overseeing moderator has confirmed that its not a good source for reliable or accurate information. The Marvel Wikia - they get their info and numbers with grids, from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe books. Marvel Wikia, is still fan made though, but grids tend to be accurate as far as what Marvel has officially printed and can be purchased by fans. I checked their wikia just now and Beta Ray Bill's Intelligence was at 2 not 5? (which is consistent with the guide books)

They aren't so much clones, as far as ambiguously analogous. Thor has referred to Beta Ray Bill as an equal. Such statements, as like with most fictional characters should not be taken too literally. Both Thor and Beta Ray Bill can lift in excess of a 100 tons, but its unlikely that their maximum will both be 2 million, 305 .45342 pounds. lol So Bill's only actual higher stat than Thor with the grid, is his fighting skill, and that's mainly due to Bill having more objective data in books, signifying how many disciplines of fight style he knows, experience and so on. Thor could be in reality more skilled, but the way that grid system works, is that a source of clear info be cited. I'll try to look for what each number correlates to in each category.

There are often other official Marvel sources that paint a different picture. So user discretion interpretation can often apply. (interpreting stats)

What book are those scans from?

#142 Edited by dum529001 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's some of Thor's feats of strength:

Thor flexes and snaps adamantium alloy cables like they were nothing, from Thor #309:

Does this look familiar? Twenty years later, Thor literally re-performs his feat of lifting a metal railway and sustaining the weight of a passing train as it races by, from Thor #319:

Early on, Thor pushes over the Leaning Tower of Pisa with his finger, from Journey Into Mystery #92:

And large numbers already are quantified as Thor leg presses millions of tons of rock onto the Destroyer, fromJourney Into Mystery #119:

After the villain, Graviton, finds his powers uncontrollable, he compresses an entire floating city into a sphere, and Thor, along with several other Avengers, find themselves supporting and then heaving millions of tons of weight into the Atlantic, from Avengers #159:

Thor tows the small island, Hydrobase, into New York harbor, from Avengers #301:

At the conclusion of Acts of Vengeance, Thor closes a chasm of a "million tons of earth" over Loki, from West Coast Avengers #55:

Here Thor crushes a force-field of the Power Cosmic (amped by Loki's power) that keeps him from Mjolnir, from Silver Surfer #4:

Here, Thor destroys another of Silver Surfer's force-fields with a single strike, from Silver Surfer #4:

As for pure collateral damage, a single punch met with the same force has leveled a countryside, from Thor#338:

And with repeated blows? Thor and Red Norvell literally wreck Asgard with their fist-fight and almost deafen Heimdall, from Thor #476:

Thor literally matches a Savage Hulk's strength in a grappling contest for an entire hour, from Defenders #10:

Indeed, his punch is so powerful that combined with a punch of equal strength, it is capable of actually closing dimensional rifts, from Avengers #100:

Here, he stalemates immortal Hercules in a contest of arm-wrestling, from Thor #222:

Thor resists a force "as though half a planet" were bearing down on him, from Thor #140:

Thor resists the gravimetric pull akin to "that of a neutron star" and busts out, from Thor #281:

A neutron star has 200 billion times the gravity of earth. That level of acceleration means a neutron star's gravity is faster than light.

Thor actually lifts the Midgard Serpent who is powerful enough to crush the earth. Note that the catastrophic effects of such a feat are actually physically felt on Earth, from Thor #32:

Survives the weight of twenty planets in Thor annual vol 1. #9 :

Thor has resisted extreme ranges of heat throughout his career. Thor doesn't even register a reaction when immersed in lava, from Avengers #5:

Thor walks around inside the furnace of the trolls, whose fires were used to forge Mjolnir, from Thor #211:

Magical fire-bolts engulf Thor to no effect, from Thor #292:

Ghost Rider's pure hellfire blasts are useless in Avengers #214:

Cosmic fire-bolts from the Herald, Firelord, have a similarly negligible effect in Thor #306:

And Thor has literally stood in the center of the Sun while confronting Atum in Thor Annual #14:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Thor effortlessly resists arctic forces summoned by the Executioner in one of his first fights in Journey Into Mystery #103:

Here, Thor resists the "devastating energy of an exploding sun" from the Executioner's axe, from Journey Into Mystery #103:

Thanos' fleet nails Thor with a salvo of energy blasts and the mere indirect impact knocks both Captain Marvel and Ironman unconscious in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2:

Thor is not only immune to electricity blasts, but indeed refreshed by them as shown in Thor #288:

One of his most impressive feats, Thor survives being rocked by multiple blasts by the Fourth Host of Celestials, from Thor #300:

Thor's unconscious body isn't even destroyed by a Doomsday Bomb capable of destroying a planet, fromThor #387:

And while empowered by the Odinforce,Thor has resisted the Destroyer's beam of total disintegration in Thorvol. 3 #5:

Here, we see Thor flying outside a window and when Jane Foster gets his attention, Thor manages to intercept Cobra's poison dart within a split-second. The dart is fired before he even is inside the room, just to give you the proper frame of reference to understand the speed and reflexes necessary in Journey Into Mystery #98:

Thor digs a trench in a blur of motion that is "almost too fast for the human eye to follow." From Marvel Team-Up #26:

And here, while helping rebuild Asgard, Thor hammers down repeatedly on a pillar and "becomes a blur of motion" in Thor #267:

Thor's reflexes have always allowed to react at lightning speeds faster than the human eye can perceive.Even in a hail of attacks or debris. There's something about this feat is that Thor speed and moves faster than the sight of Heimdall , a god endowed with super-senses , able to hear the grass grow, the sap running in the trees or the beating of the wings of a butterfly on the other side of the galaxy and whose eyes see light years away. Whatever the case, the fineness of Heimdall's senses are greater than those of any being.

Here, Thor fights Heimdall and swings his hammer down on him at speeds "moving too swiftly for the eye to follow," even too fast for Heimdall in Journey Into Mystery#125:

Here, Hela only has to touch Thor in order to ensnare his soul in 1v1 combat, but is unable to do so because of his speed, "His speed, his anger, are beyond comprehension!" From Thor #354:

Here, while fending off two Herald-level foes, Adam Warlock likens his ability to catch his staff mid-swing and his combat speed to that of lightning, "He moves like the lightning he commands, much quicker than I remember." From Infinity Watch #23:

Here, in the space of one and one-fifth seconds, Thor dives out of the sky, smashes Mjolnir down and causes a supersonic shockwave to divert a runaway truck from killing a young boy ACROSS the city in Journey Into Mystery #108:

Here, in the space of micro-seconds before a zooming cursed Mjolnir will strike Thor from behind, Thor lays a haymaker onto an Enchanter and spins around in time to snatch Mjolnir in mid-air, from Thor #144:

Here, Thor is about to have his face smashed by a cursed Mjolnir which is zooming back to him, but he moves swiftly enough on reaction to dodge it inThor vol. 2 #27:

Thor has dug a ditch so fast that neither Quicksilver was valoz enough to escape it (Quicksilver was already in motion before Thor has started digging the trench).

Thor punks Quicksilver once again:

Thor reacts to Wrecker swinging his mystic crowbar onto Thor's head from behind. Literally only inches away, Thor moves so swiftly once again, he snatches the crowbar with his hand in Thor vol. 2 #29:

And it looks like current Thor hasn't lost that bare-handed touch as he catches Bor's axe inches from his face inThor #600:

With his great speed, without the use of his natural control over the weather, he can create winds of hurricane force or greater- than-hurricane-force air shockwaves in Journey Into Mystery #100 and #84:

Here, he literally snatches a fired tank shell out of mid-air with his bare hand and bats a barrage of them back in Journey Into Mystery #93:

And similarly snatches a fired missile with his bare hand in Marvel Team-Up #148:

Here, with FTB speed, he deflects two bullets with a single swing way back in Journey Into Mystery #100:

Here, he blocks a single bullet with the head of Mjolnir before whirling it to create a field in Thor #246:

And many times again...

Here, Thor flings Mjolnir to the farthest reaches of the galaxy in Thor: Whom The Gods Would Destroy:

And he can fling the hammer many times the speed of light and transcend the boundaries of time and space inThor #392-393, Thor #140 and Thor #274:

As for FTL reactions that can be measured in nanoseconds (light travels one foot per nanosecond), he's swung and swatted away Blastaar's energy blasts inThor #270:

Far from a one-off FTL feat, he does the same to Mole Man's energy blaster shot in Marvel Two-In-One #96:

Here, Enchantress shoots a blast at Captain America and Thor reacts with FTL speed to cut off the energy blast in mid-flight, from Marvel Comics Presents#44:

Thor can spin Mjolnlr around fast enough to shield himself from lasers, from Thor #218:

Phoenix shoots a telepathic blast at a groggy Thor at the moment Thor's arms are at his side. AFTER the shot is fired and already traveling at him, Thor raises his arms and reflects it back with Mjolnir. Telepathy being instantaneous traditionally (as noted in the narration), we can assume for the sake of argument that it was only traveling at light-speed, making this another FTL feat, from Excalibur#428:

He can even block a constant barrage of laser vision from Count Nefaria, from Avengers #166:

He bats away a possessed Iron Man's repulsor rays in Avengers vol. 3 #3:

And again bats away ray blasts in a training session in Avengers vol. 3 #23:

and again......

Mjolnir also allows for simulated flight whereby when thrown it could pull it's wielder along. Basically, Thor flies by flinging his hammer really hard and then hanging on for ride:

And no matter what, it's been explained that "Thor can always control the course of his flight," from Thor #400:

In terms of flight speed, he's flown at least three times the speed of light, from Thor #185:

Thor has trapped Hermes the god of speed, and well, that's just say that ... but are spears spears thrown by gods thousands of times stronger than any human, imagine how fast would travel those spears =).

During the saga of Surtur , commissioned by Nick Fury (Nick Fury), Thor reached and surpassed in speed to a spaceship traveling at a speed came many times that of Light and even outside our solar system, Thor increase their 100 times speed to overtake the ship.

Travels from Earth to Sun in a matter of moments:

Saves Rulk from a Black Hole(ANOTHER FTL feat):

Thor intercepted Ego whom was moving at hyperspace speeds:

Catches Ego again after getting shot at by Stranger:

Skyfather Thor blasts Gorr several lightyears and both Thors catch up relatively quick.

Thor flying without Mjolnir.

#143 Posted by SOG7dc (8178 posts) - - Show Bio

I was excited to see this thread til I read the op and saw that it's here to rip on superman. They're both incredible awesome omega badass heroes. I don't get why it always has to be one against the other. How about taking into account that they would likely be good friends if they ever met and imagine the two fighting together against darksied and Thanos. Now that's a crossover I'd pay for

#144 Posted by SC (13396 posts) - - Show Bio

@leesensei: Hello, my apologies my reply to your question is so delayed, the new CV notification system isn't friendly to me. The book those pages are from, I am not absolutely sure on, but I think its The Heroic Age: Super Heroes. Its been a while since I read that issue, but I think its it.

#145 Posted by BOdinson (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Well seems like I'll be joining this discussion pretty darn late.

I would actually like to argue in favor of Thor having decent reaction/ reflexes.

Travel Speed

First I would like to discuss "travel" speed vs "reaction/reflex" speed, I've seen many people state that it's entirely different, I would actually beg to differ. You can do yourself a favor and go to any pilot in the air force and ask them what is one of the main prerequisites for being a pilot, it can easily be argued "reaction time". Flying at speeds of 5 or 6 times faster than the speed of sound REQUIRES you to have great reaction time, how else would you properly dodge objects?

Even driving in a car at roughly 50miles an hour would suggest that you'd have to react fast in order to avoid striking a deer in the road, even then some people just don't have it. Now that is slow speeds in comparison to the speed that Superman, Flash, Silver Surfer and even Thor can reach. Flying/running at the speed of light leaves you fractions of a second to react to anything that suddenly comes in your path. I've seen it mentioned here that apparently Thor could travel at 5000x the speed of light? To put that in perspective, 5000x the speed of light = 930 000 000 miles/second, Saturn is roughly 900million miles from earth, when you view earth from Saturn it looks like a distant blue speck, a tiny star on the horizon. Now if he was to approach earth from Saturn he would reach earth in less than a second, which means he'd have to react even faster in order to avoid a collision with earth or any other objects that might be in space, stars, asteroids, comets, planets etc

According to some physics students**** from the UK, contrary to popular Star Trek mythology, going at or faster than the speed of light does NOT make streaks of light (Like when they go into hyperdrive), they actually suggest that it'll be more like a blur that appears, but whether it's a blur or a streak, how fast should their eyes and observations be in order to view where they are and where they are heading? Moving at the speed of light in itself an automatic speed feat for reaction and reflexes one that should easily be given to any speedster whether they are Thor, Surfer, Quicksilver or Superman.

**** http://www.space.com/19268-star-wars-hyperspace-physics-reality.html

Now of course I just know that some people on here are going to start mentioning "But it's mjolnir that does the flying not Thor" as if almost to suggest that mjolnir is a sentient object/being that can think, react and decide for itself? If that was the case, being effectively one with Thor, why would Mjolnir "allow" anyone to actually lay a finger on its master? Thor does ALL of the controlling on Mjolnir, he might hurl it and grab on it to fly at those speeds but I don't think Mjolnir just "decides" when to dodge an asteroid and when not too. It'll return to Thor's hand regardless of what's in its path, whether it be foe, planet or even a space barrier(As seen when Surfer chased Mjolnir and it breached a barrier to return to the hand of Thor).

So if Thor controls it and wills it to change course that in itself suggests that Thor is more than capable of SEEING all of his surroundings while travelling greater than the speed of light(Refer to above where it would appear like a blur for us) and react to what he sees and perceives. Like I mentioned then, merely travelling at those speeds is in itself a great indication of reaction speed as well.

Reaction

I saw a scan of Thor where he intercepted incoming nuclear missiles that were launched towards Asgard(King Thor reign). According to the Global Nuclear Contamination Watch, within milliseconds of an explosion a fireball would envelope EVERYTHING within a 2 miles reaching temperatures of up to 20million Fahrenheit, now that explosion wasn't anywhere near two miles; in other words it didn't have enough time to reach those distances, when Thor already reacted and contained the blast. That in itself, though a very unassuming picture, is a fantastic reaction speed feat. Especially if you take into consideration that by the looks of things there wasn't even enough time for the Thermal radiation to properly make it's way across the area, causing burns to the eyes, body etc

Large amounts of electromagnetic radiation in the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet regions of the electromagnetic spectrum are emitted from the surface of the fireball within the first minute or less after detonation. This thermal radiation travels outward from the fireball at the speed of light, 300,000 km/sec.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/thermal.htm

What reaction speed did Thor have to have in order to prevent that nuclear bomb from causing devastation to the area? I would think GREAT reaction time!!!

Of course hurling Mjolnir at such speeds in itself stands as a speed feat as well NOT just a feat of strength. In order to properly swing it he'll logically HAVE to use his wrists/arm as well which shows great speed capability when it comes to his hands.

Then of course there is something that we all take for granted every time we see Thor, whether it's in the comics, cartoons or even in the movie. That would be catching Mjolnir, if Mjolnir is travelling back to Thor's hand (At any speed, speed of sound, speed of light as shown when he fought the god eater or any speed) he would HAVE to have incredible reaction time in order to catch it. A simple thing that he has done through out all the years in the comics, catching mjolnir is probably one of the great feats of speed that he has!!! Unless of course anyone again wants to imply that Mjolnir is suddenly hitting the breaks right at the moment it touches the tiniest part of Thor's hand in order for the Thunderer to just "hold" onto it?..Or better yet that Thor "wills" it to slow down in order for him to grab a hold of it, in order for the latter to happen it would indicate that Thor can perceive objects moving at incredible speeds(Like mjolnir charging towards him at speed of Light) and then will it to stop at the right time <<<Another speed feat then.

Thor has great speed feats, feats that should actually be shown in his combats as well. I've seen people on here argue that because Thor gets tagged by spider-man, mongoose, rhino he has no speed feats, even if he can fight toe-to-toe with the Silver Surfer. Of course that person then suggests that because Thor gets tagged by them that is a true reflection of his speed in combat situations, he even mentions the Surfer himself getting tagged by spider-man and then does a 180 and argue being tagged by spider-man does NOT indicate that the Surfer incapable of high combat speed. Personally I don't understand the reasoning behind, you can't argue one way for one character and then argue the opposite for another character in the same situation.

Just like the Surfer, Thor's combat speed would reflect the opponent he is facing as seen when he's fighting Surfer and when he tagged Quicksilver with a slam into the ground obviously faster than Quicksilver can perceive(If he could have, why not blitz away? ) .

Ok, guess I'm done for now, there were other stuff I wanted to mention but it kind of slipped my mind now, maybe it'll come back to me after I get some replies(I'm definitely expecting some very predictable replies so we'll see). I'm awaiting your suggestions and or counter-arguments =o)

P.S Great Thread by the way, some very nice scans.

#146 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@bodinson said:

Well seems like I'll be joining this discussion pretty darn late.

I would actually like to argue in favor of Thor having decent reaction/ reflexes.

Travel Speed

First I would like to discuss "travel" speed vs "reaction/reflex" speed, I've seen many people state that it's entirely different, I would actually beg to differ. You can do yourself a favor and go to any pilot in the air force and ask them what is one of the main prerequisites for being a pilot, it can easily be argued "reaction time". Flying at speeds of 5 or 6 times faster than the speed of sound REQUIRES you to have great reaction time, how else would you properly dodge objects?

Even driving in a car at roughly 50miles an hour would suggest that you'd have to react fast in order to avoid striking a deer in the road, even then some people just don't have it. Now that is slow speeds in comparison to the speed that Superman, Flash, Silver Surfer and even Thor can reach. Flying/running at the speed of light leaves you fractions of a second to react to anything that suddenly comes in your path. I've seen it mentioned here that apparently Thor could travel at 5000x the speed of light? To put that in perspective, 5000x the speed of light = 930 000 000 miles/second, Saturn is roughly 900million miles from earth, when you view earth from Saturn it looks like a distant blue speck, a tiny star on the horizon. Now if he was to approach earth from Saturn he would reach earth in less than a second, which means he'd have to react even faster in order to avoid a collision with earth or any other objects that might be in space, stars, asteroids, comets, planets etc

According to some physics students**** from the UK, contrary to popular Star Trek mythology, going at or faster than the speed of light does NOT make streaks of light (Like when they go into hyperdrive), they actually suggest that it'll be more like a blur that appears, but whether it's a blur or a streak, how fast should their eyes and observations be in order to view where they are and where they are heading? Moving at the speed of light in itself an automatic speed feat for reaction and reflexes one that should easily be given to any speedster whether they are Thor, Surfer, Quicksilver or Superman.

**** http://www.space.com/19268-star-wars-hyperspace-physics-reality.html

Now of course I just know that some people on here are going to start mentioning "But it's mjolnir that does the flying not Thor" as if almost to suggest that mjolnir is a sentient object/being that can think, react and decide for itself? If that was the case, being effectively one with Thor, why would Mjolnir "allow" anyone to actually lay a finger on its master? Thor does ALL of the controlling on Mjolnir, he might hurl it and grab on it to fly at those speeds but I don't think Mjolnir just "decides" when to dodge an asteroid and when not too. It'll return to Thor's hand regardless of what's in its path, whether it be foe, planet or even a space barrier(As seen when Surfer chased Mjolnir and it breached a barrier to return to the hand of Thor).

So if Thor controls it and wills it to change course that in itself suggests that Thor is more than capable of SEEING all of his surroundings while travelling greater than the speed of light(Refer to above where it would appear like a blur for us) and react to what he sees and perceives. Like I mentioned then, merely travelling at those speeds is in itself a great indication of reaction speed as well.

Reaction

I saw a scan of Thor where he intercepted incoming nuclear missiles that were launched towards Asgard(King Thor reign). According to the Global Nuclear Contamination Watch, within milliseconds of an explosion a fireball would envelope EVERYTHING within a 2 miles reaching temperatures of up to 20million Fahrenheit, now that explosion wasn't anywhere near two miles; in other words it didn't have enough time to reach those distances, when Thor already reacted and contained the blast. That in itself, though a very unassuming picture, is a fantastic reaction speed feat. Especially if you take into consideration that by the looks of things there wasn't even enough time for the Thermal radiation to properly make it's way across the area, causing burns to the eyes, body etc

Large amounts of electromagnetic radiation in the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet regions of the electromagnetic spectrum are emitted from the surface of the fireball within the first minute or less after detonation. This thermal radiation travels outward from the fireball at the speed of light, 300,000 km/sec.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/thermal.htm

What reaction speed did Thor have to have in order to prevent that nuclear bomb from causing devastation to the area? I would think GREAT reaction time!!!

Of course hurling Mjolnir at such speeds in itself stands as a speed feat as well NOT just a feat of strength. In order to properly swing it he'll logically HAVE to use his wrists/arm as well which shows great speed capability when it comes to his hands.

Then of course there is something that we all take for granted every time we see Thor, whether it's in the comics, cartoons or even in the movie. That would be catching Mjolnir, if Mjolnir is travelling back to Thor's hand (At any speed, speed of sound, speed of light as shown when he fought the god eater or any speed) he would HAVE to have incredible reaction time in order to catch it. A simple thing that he has done through out all the years in the comics, catching mjolnir is probably one of the great feats of speed that he has!!! Unless of course anyone again wants to imply that Mjolnir is suddenly hitting the breaks right at the moment it touches the tiniest part of Thor's hand in order for the Thunderer to just "hold" onto it?..Or better yet that Thor "wills" it to slow down in order for him to grab a hold of it, in order for the latter to happen it would indicate that Thor can perceive objects moving at incredible speeds(Like mjolnir charging towards him at speed of Light) and then will it to stop at the right time <<<Another speed feat then.

Thor has great speed feats, feats that should actually be shown in his combats as well. I've seen people on here argue that because Thor gets tagged by spider-man, mongoose, rhino he has no speed feats, even if he can fight toe-to-toe with the Silver Surfer. Of course that person then suggests that because Thor gets tagged by them that is a true reflection of his speed in combat situations, he even mentions the Surfer himself getting tagged by spider-man and then does a 180 and argue being tagged by spider-man does NOT indicate that the Surfer incapable of high combat speed. Personally I don't understand the reasoning behind, you can't argue one way for one character and then argue the opposite for another character in the same situation.

Just like the Surfer, Thor's combat speed would reflect the opponent he is facing as seen when he's fighting Surfer and when he tagged Quicksilver with a slam into the ground obviously faster than Quicksilver can perceive(If he could have, why not blitz away? ) .

Ok, guess I'm done for now, there were other stuff I wanted to mention but it kind of slipped my mind now, maybe it'll come back to me after I get some replies(I'm definitely expecting some very predictable replies so we'll see). I'm awaiting your suggestions and or counter-arguments =o)

P.S Great Thread by the way, some very nice scans.

THANK YOU very unbiased and well spoken!!!

#147 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

THOR is mighty. And has proven many times that he is above powerful. THOR can take superman, just like superman can take THOR.

#148 Posted by dum529001 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Repsect the god of thunder.

#149 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (7084 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

#150 Posted by Thunderstorm_Veteran (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Very Good...

If you have no problems, I would like to add information about the character, and continue this great topic!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.