Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8589 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Pros and cons of new female thor

• 53 results
    Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been on the fence about this development since it has been announced. So I want to do a pro and cons list

*Pro

-Aaron has done a great job writing so far so there is no reason to doubt his abilities. He seems to really get the character.

-Thor has become heavily reliant on Mjolnir in the past decade or so. His super strength has become second to everything mjolnir can do.This arc may show why thor should be feared, even without the most powerful weapon in the universe. It may also squash the whole "mjolnir gives him weather powers" rumor.

-It's always fun to see someone else wield mjolnir, whether it's Captain America, Storm, or even wonder woman, it is a fun ride.

-Thor could be put on a whole new level! So may people don't believe that Thor could take Superman or Hulk, but this could prove his might as top tier hero.

*Cons

-In solicits, it has said thor is severely de-powered, so that possibly negates the showing what he can really do.

-Esad Ribic is not on this arc, however log it lasts. Dauterman is great, don't get me wrong, but Ribic is amazing. His style matches the Thor mythos perfectly. Anyone who has read the Loki graphic novel knows Ribic is the quintessential Thor artist. He is the Simonson of the modern era.

-The effects this arc could potentially have on the movies. There is rumor Marvel wants to reboot Thot movie already. It's doubtful it's true, but it still has a negative effect on the franchise they're trying to build.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Pro: I'm actually interesting in seeing Unworthy Thor and his adventures to reclaim Mjolnir.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Pro: I'm actually interesting in seeing Unworthy Thor and his adventures to reclaim Mjolnir.

Con: You won't be around to see it

**Drags into dark alley and murders*

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited for the story but don't think Thor should be a woman. A woman can weild mjolnir, but shouldn't use the name Thor. I also dislike that the amount of people that can lift mjolnir is slowly being increased. And lastly, I don't like that the real Thor will be losing his left arm sometime soon. That's for king Thor, not current Thor.

:(

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HumanRocket

@humanrocket said:

Con: You won't be around to see it

**Drags into dark alley and murders*

Pro: I have perfect the cloning process. Just killed clone #8. He was nice, but the two left feet were a problem.

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Using the name thor is just a stupid tidbit to the story. She isnt the "real" thor. Just someone who wields mjolnir. I think people need to get over this. She picked up the hammer so what other name would she go by? I still think It's thors grandaughter from the future.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodofthunder: well Thor is a guys name. A god. Named by Odin. Its like a man going by wonder woman because he used her sword.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro: She has tits.

Con: ^ This is why I'm not getting laid.

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I realize itr's a ddes name but does it matter. aaron and erin, kelly and kelly tracy and tracy. She picked up the hammer so what other name should she go by? She thor? thats dumb.

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hungry_sharky: Thank you for that pro I missed. Tits will always be a pro.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

There is rumor Marvel wants to reboot Thot movie already. It's doubtful it's true, but it still has a negative effect on the franchise they're trying to build.

The only reason why there is this rumor going on because the actors are getting too big for their britches. The actors and actress want to be getting paid more money. They are trying to act like if Marvel does not meet their required payment they will leave and ruin their franchise. Marvel is taking the steps to replace each and every actor or actress who say they want to leave.

In Iron Man 3 Stark took off his chest piece and destroyed all his suits. Plus, Pepper was uber powerful. I can see Marvel continuing the franchise by making Rhodes (Cheadle), or Potts take on the Iron Man mantle. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Superior Iron Man is none other than Rhodes himself.

If Evans doesn't want to be Captain America anymore I can see them using Falcon or BArnes as the new Cap.

If Scar Jo doesn't want to be the Black Widow, I'm sure they can get a new token female character to join the ranks of the Avengers. (+)

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one: Firstly, the rumor is going on simply because marvel announced a female thor. The movies follow the comics so the latest comic news inspires movie news. There's obviously going to be some mantle passing in the MCU just because of ages, regarding actors. But the idea that they are purposefully replacing people is ludicrous. Hemsworth at least hasn't really let the fame level the others have and is still on the Marvel train. Downey Jr can really do whatever he wants, but the rest of them are halted by marvel. If they want a career, they have to do it the marvel way. Besides, they all seem really glad to be apart of this universe.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yung_ancient_one: Firstly, the rumor is going on simply because marvel announced a female thor. The movies follow the comics so the latest comic news inspires movie news. There's obviously going to be some mantle passing in the MCU just because of ages, regarding actors. But the idea that they are purposefully replacing people is ludicrous. Hemsworth at least hasn't really let the fame level the others have and is still on the Marvel train. Downey Jr can really do whatever he wants, but the rest of them are halted by marvel. If they want a career, they have to do it the marvel way. Besides, they all seem really glad to be apart of this universe.

I've heard different rumors but in the end there just rumors so who cares. 2nd, "movies follow the comics" that's not necessarily true. Sometimes the comics follow the movies exempli gratia (e.g.) Iron Patriot, Agent Coulson. Plus, the rumor that Ultron will be created due to Stark and not Pym or that Pym will have a daughter Hope Van Dyme.They don't always follow the comic and the comics sometimes follow the movies... but whatever doode. None of this is really that serious. Cheers! (+)

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodofthunder: Whatever her name is thats what she should be called. X-23 shouldnt be called wolverine , War machine isnt called iron man. People have names for a reason

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: I get that, but is it really that big of a deal? She picks up the hammer and is called thor?I think its supposed to be part of the mystery. in aaron i trust.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodofthunder: No that makes no sense. You cant pick up Stormbreaker and be called beta ray bill hell there were other people that replaced thor and they were called by their own names

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boobs.

That is all.

Jmarshmallow

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@humanrocket: Liar, you just want the hammer for yourself.

Con: Ostyo seems to still be lacking respect for his betters.

Pro: Once the hammer is my I will not only have the sacred spirit turkey to smack him, but also a new hammer.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: I'm funny? I'm funny how? Do I make you laugh? So now I'm your clown now?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pro: Innovative and creative thinking.

Con: Unjustified complaining.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodofthunder: she shouldn't use Thor at all. picking up the hammer doesn't make you thor. It is like a man going by wonder woman because he stole her sword or something. Makes no sense. She should either go by a female version of Thor or a different name. No one else can be Thor

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro: She has tits.

Con: ^ This is why I'm not getting laid.

That's the best answer ever

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro: A good writer is helming the book with a great artist

...and that's it, not much else to ask for as a comic fan

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: @jayc1324: In interviews, Aaron said that kn one, not even thor is going to know who she is. I think it's just part of the mystery as to who she is and that's why she's being called Thor.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well they said they are trying for the female readers. So just think of whom would make happy most of the female viewers.

That will be the one to pick up Thors hammer and slap him upside the head.

I thought they did that whole Axe thing just before Thunder Strike died as well.

Why would they repeat the same thing twice?

Allaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I showed some pic's of the new she-Thor and he-Thor to my co-workers they said they look really HOT ! sooo.... the only thing is I work with a lesbian chick and gay dude

Pros: I guess I have something new to talk about with my co-workers , we can discuss what happened in previous Thor comics ?

Cons: Since straight males are no longer part of Marvel's Thor demographic I wont be reading any new Thor's.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro

try something new from a female perspective and personality

may attract female fans

Con

This may get out of hand

not sure when the male THOR will return

hate to see a female THOR in the movies

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By arthurkerr

pros - none that I can see

Cons - Alienate male readers

Scar the future of the book

Yet another crazy idea like Thor is a title not his name and who he is.

keeps Asgard on earth

Same stories just female Thor

Why not just give us the stories people been waiting on and that is Sif and Thor.

How hard is that?

dontevenblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

keeps Asgard on earth

Why not just give us the stories people been waiting on and that is Sif and Thor.

How hard is that?

lol wow.

how does having a female character alienate male readers? you'd rather stare at Thor's abs than this female "Thor" and her bewbs? that's ok of course, but i'm personally fine with seeing more strong female characters. Marvel is doing great things for equal representation with all the new things they're doing! and she's still gonna be fighting off baddies and doing Thor things... not sure why gender is a problem for some people...

I do think they shouldn't give her his "name" since it's clearly a male name and not just a "title". it's probably just being shown this way so we know that she's actually replacing him (at least temporarily) and not just an alternate reality/side story thing.

i've never read Thor personally, but i'm actually more interested in the Asgardian side of things now. just imagine the sexual tension with Loki now that he's gonna be tricking a lady! :P

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I've been a long time (relatively) fan of Thor and I'm a woman. If this makes new readers pick up a comic book, great. Just make sure it's a good story because that's what keeps them. That's what's going to make me pick this up, not changes to the character to make it more "female friendly".

Getting annoyed with the whole "male reader" alienation angle. I really hope criticisms about this new direction have more to do with the potential of the original character Thor being compromised and lost, rather than "coodies" because a female will be spinning and smacking the Mjolnir around.

(what is with my "rabbit-earing"...)

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Interesting.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr said:

keeps Asgard on earth

How hard is that?

lol wow.

how does having a female character alienate male readers? you'd rather stare at Thor's abs than this female "Thor" and her bewbs? that's ok of course, but i'm personally fine with seeing more strong female characters. Marvel is doing great things for equal representation with all the new things they're doing! and she's still gonna be fighting off baddies and doing Thor things... not sure why gender is a problem for some people...

I do think they shouldn't give her his "name" since it's clearly a male name and not just a "title". it's probably just being shown this way so we know that she's actually replacing him (at least temporarily) and not just an alternate reality/side story thing.

i've never read Thor personally, but i'm actually more interested in the Asgardian side of things now. just imagine the sexual tension with Loki now that he's gonna be tricking a lady! :P

how does having a female character alienate male readers? you'd rather stare at Thor's abs than this female "Thor" and her bewbs? that's ok of course, but i'm personally fine with seeing more strong female characters. wow really you went here to funny and should not even get a response it is that bad. I could say you read comics to look at the female body part and there are books for adults on this and no place should it be in comics. I read Thor for the great stories about the god of Thunder , Asgard and Odin and mutants and many other reasons. Abs and bewbs and you say are not any of them. You did make me laugh however.

ut i'm personally fine with seeing more strong female characters. Marvel is doing great things for equal representation with all the new things they're doing! and she's still gonna be fighting off baddies and doing Thor things... not sure why gender is a problem for some people..

I am fine with strong female characters as well however Thor is not female. I am not alone in this look all over and you find fans are pretty upset I am just one of these upset fans. Make a female character add it to the list of strong ones and they have many Sif is one of my favorites , She Hulk is awesome as well , Betty Ross has no powers but kicks ass. I however cannot stand Lois lane lol. just sayin WW is ok in the right story but all that siting around on the island and a invisible plane and you just have to wonder how many times she lost it and just could not find that thing. Ok where is the invisible plane...Batman just shakes his head.

Gender is not the problem it is stealing his name and saying this is Thor even her lifting his hammer is odd but not the problem she picks it up and walks off and she says Hey your no longer Thor I am.

LOL you read comics to look at bewbs ok I had to go back to that lol lets move on.

at the end of the day if the story is good then it can wait for people to buy the comic and they say hey this is whom the character is this is whom picked up the hammer and this is why. People can always say , wow I was wrong and let me check that out. As in the case of Red Hulk when you see this mystery Red Hulk show up and people think its banner but you find out it is Ross. I was like wow did not see that coming and burnt the comic and tossed the ashes to the winds and said hmmmm because it was not something I cared to read.

So when people find out this female Thor is none other then the enchantress and she is like hmmm Did not see that coming did you big boy. I will be like... hmmmmmm give me another apple Thor and some of that ale.

Just because fans of the current Thor do not want to read about a female Thor does not make them wrong. If they take the time to say hey. I still like Thor just not a female Thor. This is a good thing it says I will be a fan again if you ever bring Thor back to how he was. It says I still have your back when you decide you have mine again.

I cannot speak for all people just the ones whom like me and the many voices on the web that sound off like me still wanting a great Thor tale. Oh and not one for abbs or Bewbs lol but cute awesome pets like in John Carter of mars that was awesome just sayin......bewbs lol he said bewbs I need more sleep....

you know at the end of it all you just have to sit back and laugh.

Because your right it is just a story and you decide is it worth the amount of time out of your life committed to read the tale. Is it worth that much? Does it make you say. I never thought of that or I never seen it from that angle. I do not agree with all the comments made against female Thor and I do agree with allot of them however but true to fact it is just a story take it or leave it. The best form of flattery is to mimic character , make the female Thor's and the Disney princess Thor and the axe welding Thor and the Kung fu Thor with Lightning gauntlets (that I would prefer over any lame axe) but all these Thor's are just flattery to the myth. A character that has survived the years.

Just ask yourself does it try at least to do all fans justice and I know when I write a story I do it because I like the idea. If somebody else likes it to then great , if not well to bad.

Be your own biggest fan. You cannot please everybody. The people upset over this are simply saying like me. I do not care to read about Female Thor. Had they done it another way say protecting Thor. Bring on the story. Otherwise. Female Thor taking his name becoming Thor. I have to pass.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel won't make thor a woman in the movies. Thor will get the hammer back in time for Thor 3

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened with his arm?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmarshmallow said:

Boobs.

That is all.

Jmarshmallow

Now I know why my relentless whining grates on your nerves, it's because I don't leave you enough space to make idiotic comments about boobs, masturbation and those kind of things

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

@jmarshmallow said:

Boobs.

That is all.

Jmarshmallow

Now I know why my relentless whining grates on your nerves, it's because I don't leave you enough space to make idiotic comments about boobs, masturbation and those kind of things

I don't really see how masturbation was involved at all in my comment, nor do I see what's wrong with making comments about a vital part of a woman's body. Now if you don't swing that way, that's cool, I say to each their own. But there's no need to call my preferences "idiotic."

Jmarshmallow

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmarshmallow: But I didn't, I'm talking about fallschirmjager's puerile gibberish about tits and wanking like he thinks I should stop my constructive whining while he pollutes this website with endless rubbish. You should be ashamed too, Thor's got qualities beyond her physical attributes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: hearing you refer to Thor as a "her" literally made me cringe.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: No she doesn't. She basically has no feats besides having boobs.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Female Thor makes as much sense as male wonder woman.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: well replacing Wonder Woman by a man would completely betray the dogma she espouses but I understand how you feel.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By arthurkerr

@jayc1324 said:

@archizoom: hearing you refer to Thor as a "her" literally made me cringe.

lol , It would be like replacing the star football player with a female and giving her all the skill of the star foot ball player and his name. But none of the work it took to make it to being the star football player. However expect people to be ok with it.Oh and have the star football player become a depressed cheer leader and have to cheer you on.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Allaric
    @ms-lola said:

Well, I've been a long time (relatively) fan of Thor and I'm a woman. If this makes new readers pick up a comic book, great. Just make sure it's a good story because that's what keeps them. That's what's going to make me pick this up, not changes to the character to make it more "female friendly".

Getting annoyed with the whole "male reader" alienation angle. I really hope criticisms about this new direction have more to do with the potential of the original character Thor being compromised and lost, rather than "coodies" because a female will be spinning and smacking the Mjolnir around.

Oh good grief don't try to act like you don't understand why so many Thor fans are upset? You darn well know that trading out Thor for Thorina is lame , no reasonable thinking person would pretend to not understand that. If Marvel wants a female Thor like character , then they should have created a NEW SEPERATE character and comic instead of HIGHJACKING the current one. The fact that Marvel is running both the characters in the same comic just shows that Marvel is afraid no one would buy a stand alone Thorina so they have to try to have Thorina's comic carried along by original Thor's fans (minus the pissed off smart ones that are seeing through this BS). Please just GET REAL and speak the truth !

P.S.

Marvel comic readers know Marvel has plenty of female super hero's AND good grief there is already a goddess that fly's and commands the Elements her name is Ororo Munroe aka STORM !

P.S.

Read this blog post written by a female writer titled ... "I Wonder if Thor's Angry" ... by Bluebird

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/entry.php?13415-I-Wonder-If-Thor-s-Angry

"There are plenty of comic book heroines that have been created over the years that are largely unknown to those who aren't big fans. If you want to attract female readers revamp your existing female characters. It would cause considerably less outrage. Or create a new one."

"So I fully appreciate that it is very hard not to make something, a written work especially, seem racist and in some cases sexist and that some things need to be changed to fit a different medium. But you don't just change everything that the original creator set down just so that you won't be hated, or so you can appeal to a wider market. If it bothers you that much then you create something yourself to avoid those concerns or to appeal to that market. You don't alter something that someone loved just so suit your needs. It really bugs me."

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allaric said:

@ms-lola said:

Oh good grief don't try to act like you don't understand why so many Thor fans are upset? You darn well know that trading out Thor for Thorina is lame , no reasonable thinking person would pretend to not understand that. If Marvel wants a female Thor like character , then they should have created a NEW SEPERATE character and comic instead of HIGHJACKING the current one. The fact that Marvel is running both the characters in the same comic just shows that Marvel is afraid no one would buy a stand alone Thorina so they have to try to have Thorian's comic carried along by original Thor's fans (minus the pissed off smart ones that are seeing through this BS). Please just GET REAL and speak the truth !

P.S.

Marvel comic readers know Marvel has plenty of female super hero's AND good grief there is already a goddess that fly's and commands the Elements her name is Aurora Monroe aka STORM !

Where did I say I don't understand why some fans are upset?

No, her name is Thor, not Thorina.

I don't understand what you consider lame, so I can't darn well know what you are even talking about. There will be a character being brought on who the writer of the book has said is THE Thor. I am confused by that, sure. I have no idea how that's going to play out but considering the writer in question has been doing a great job with God of Thunder, and has revealed this idea has been a while in the making, I am comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I have no idea why a reasonable person would pretend to not understand someone's opinion about something. I understand that perfectly. Do you?

P*ssed off, smart fans? So, because I am not p*ssed off, I am what exactly? I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I must ask.

Speak truth about what? An opinion? Everyone can have one. I have one. You clearly have one.

Did you just compare Storm with Thor? And called her a goddess? You are a fan of whom, exactly?

How about we wait and see? You be pessimistic, I be optimistic and let's go from there. You seem to be upset, but I know how things can come across on the internet and this might you being a little tongue-in-cheek. If not and you truly mean to be offensive, aggressive and insulting, then I don't see the point in there being a conversation between you and I. No disrespect meant.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.