Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Population of Asgard

DcMarvelUnity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DcMarvelUnity

Hey Thor fans, just a quick question: does anyone know how many people live in Asgard? Are there civilians who are not immortal god like beings who live there?  

All versions of Asgard if you please, movie, standard marvel universe and ultimate uni.  

Thanks  

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gravitypress

Theoretically there should be no civilian gods except for maybe children. Civilians have been dipicted though so not sure among Asgardians. Also the Eijenhar(spelling) who are the honored dead in Valhalla live there and fight for Asgard in time of need.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By THORSON

like 500

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By New_World_Order

Never actually thought about this. Now I wonder.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By seekquaze

It has never been clarified. Based on the size the city is drawn is it anywhere from the tens of thousands to millions. Many older stories included settlements outside the city where people lived that were associated with Asgard.

Modern wise comics I would say in the lower ten thousands. The city is not that large and most of the population is stacked on each other.

Ultimate Universe would be about the same.

Barring creatures from other realms I would say most of the population are immortal Asgardians. Writers often shift between the Asgardians being true gods in the religious sense to being a race of godlike beings that use magic. Therefore some stories show Asgard being basically the same as Dungeons and Dragons with markets, bars, etc. Everything you would expect from an Earth society of that time period.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#6  Edited By Teerack

I always thought something like 2000. That was the size of my class back in high school and it didn't seem that big.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By bobandjim1260

In the MCU? I'm going to guess 12,000 at the start of Thor 1. Probably less since the war with the Frost Giants.

About 10,000 by the start of Thor Ragnarok. *Dark Elf attack probs killed about 1,000 soliders and civilians. They raided the palace and fired on tons of civilians. Then another 1,000 from different battles that had occurred between Thor 1 and Thor 3.*

Between Hela and Surtur, I'm going to bet there were maybe 5,000 refugees left that escaped on the ship. *script said that there were thousands on the refugee vessel*

She essentially killed the entire Asgardian military force and sent out death squads to deal with those who would not join her.

Thanos then killed half of those, bringing their population to 2,500. The snap then killed half of that amount, bringing their current population to about 1,250.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the MCU? I'm going to guess 12,000 at the start of Thor 1. Probably less since the war with the Frost Giants.

About 10,000 by the start of Thor Ragnarok. *Dark Elf attack probs killed about 1,000 soliders and civilians. They raided the palace and fired on tons of civilians. Then another 1,000 from different battles that had occurred between Thor 1 and Thor 3.*

Between Hela and Surtur, I'm going to bet there were maybe 5,000 refugees left that escaped on the ship. *script said that there were thousands on the refugee vessel*

She essentially killed the entire Asgardian military force and sent out death squads to deal with those who would not join her.

Thanos then killed half of those, bringing their population to 2,500. The snap then killed half of that amount, bringing their current population to about 1,250.

good guesses.

I would say comic and mcu wise the depcitions have been pretty inconsistent. But I think thats because the idea of Asgard changed between Thor 1 and Thor 2

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
    DarkPsychicLord_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU Asgardians have been reduced to a quarter of their population in the span of 4 years of so, and considering that they live for thousands of years, it must have felt like if they were instantly wiped out.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just comment on standard comics Asgard since mcu has already been mentioned enough above. Its been portrayed a few different ways over the years in terms of having mostly gods as opposed to a decent amount of what you might call common folk. imo Asgard's population is prob in the 50-100k range. Because we know that Asgard has formed a considerably large army at times but not super large and Asgard itself doesn't seem overly large either. So that would be my guess. I think it can form an army of about 10-20k soldiers if it wants to.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

700 million

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@spambot said:

I'll just comment on standard comics Asgard since mcu has already been mentioned enough above. Its been portrayed a few different ways over the years in terms of having mostly gods as opposed to a decent amount of what you might call common folk. imo Asgard's population is prob in the 50-100k range. Because we know that Asgard has formed a considerably large army at times but not super large and Asgard itself doesn't seem overly large either. So that would be my guess. I think it can form an army of about 10-20k soldiers if it wants to.

I believe that's right, IIRC Odin mentioned during Fear Itself that he had an army of 20,000 asgardians ready to fight Cul and raze Midgard to rid it of his influence.

Also remember, that both Asgard and its army has been referred to many times as one of the most powerful in all the realms.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I was there it seemed like millions of them. But I was drinking ale and seeing triple. You know when you party with those damn gods they get all crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.