Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

ORIGINAL SIN #7: What Made Thor Unworthy?

StarOfElyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@arthurkerr: I'm pretty sure you can't even be worthy of Mjolnir unless you're willing to kill.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starofelyon: I agree it is not a spoon after all but a weapon if war.

brunod92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By brunod92

Maybe old Fury is from the future and tells Thor something he will do or the effect that something he already did will cause in the future

lemonsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin not being able to lift it is what's confusing to me.

Either somthing crazy! Or poor writing...

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wrote a fan fiction where the hammer refused to go to Odin but in that Thor has made his own hammer from a blue star and he was born on the home world of Darkside. So was not the same hammer however Odin did have a hand in making her but only in the shadows.

Odin could have forced the point but chose not to he is a Odin after all.

fiodestromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well wasnt the hammer binded to his soul

Avatar image for jamesharwood167
    jamesharwood167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it looks like
    "that
    ald*****
    kad***"
    something around there thats what i made out

Ultinuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#260  Edited By Ultinuc
    MaddLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda dig that Nick had a secret on Thor, but it doesn't hold up. Any past act in itself would cause the Odin's enchantment to kick in automatically and render Thor unable to lift it. There is no way to get around that.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddlion said:

I kinda dig that Nick had a secret on Thor, but it doesn't hold up. Any past act in itself would cause the Odin's enchantment to kick in automatically and render Thor unable to lift it. There is no way to get around that.

That's a problem I've been having as well, an unworthy act is still an unworthy act whether or not Thor were consciously aware of it at the time it occurred, so it makes absolutely no sense grandpa Fury would have some knowledge from the past to make Thor unworthy in the present as he'd have been unworthy all along. The idea that it's a future event doesn't hold water either as it hasn't yet happened and should have no effect in the present, even if that future is immutable. Likely a spell or incantation which altered the enchantment on mjolnir, seems the most logical explanation, though this is comics and Marvel in particular so could just be a simple case of P.I.S.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He whispered that they were replacing him with a female knockoff. That's the only reason I can think of to explain all this.

No Caption Provided

Poor Guy ):

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: The problem with the altering of mjolnir's enchantment is that it's to smart of an idea for marvel to come up with we'd be giving them to much credit if we believe they came up with that (; . No I personally like to believe they pulled this out of their buttholes and are now either hoping we forget what fury whispered to Thor or stall until they can make up a completely dumb reason and then not care when we disapprove of the reason.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makentsu: I've actually been thinking that's the most likely case, they never had any real idea of how to explain the unworthy angle, just that they wanted it to happen, so this whisper bs was floated. Either they'd figure it out at a later date or ride it out until the next "universe shattering" event, at which time they'll say it's irrelevant and everyone needs to get over it, move on and buy another stack of rebooted first issues.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Precisely , I remember in an interview Aaron stated we would find out what the whisper was after the faker's identity was revealed because he would rather choose to focus on showing how cool(bland) the new faker is(instead of you know making her interesting) than telling us what Fury whispered to Thor, which by this point I feel marvel is just trying to wait until we forget the whole incident when Thor gets the hammer back. Knowing marvel though we might find out what the whisper was during Secret Wars.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course the upcoming Secret Wars event is the perfect opportunity to sweep it all under the rug and say in never happened. Whether it's used to return mjolnir to it's rightful owner or write Thor out of existence to make the replacement "THE Thor of the Marvel Universe" as Aaron has said remains to be seen.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

better yet why was literally NO ONE else able to move thors hammer, I meen Odin can't!? COME ON MANN!!!!! HE made the enchantment, its ridiculous.....I meen captain has carried it and that's why thor shows respect to him because only the worth can.....its mind numbing how bad marvel has gotten

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

i love all the overreacting, and over the top complaining, it is really constructive

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wessaari: at least they give voice and try on some boards nobody says nothing and then books they represent fade away.

Respectively people just want to be heard for it is these people spending money or wanting to. To each a small measure of pride in what they want to read.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vashtanerada88: :^^This guy gets me! I can't believe the levels aaron and marvel will sink to make this pr stunt of a character worthy to lift Thor's hammer I mean basically none of the asgardians can lift the hammer(None not even Sif!), not even Odin but some random stranger(roz) just walks up to it and can suddenly lift it.

No Caption Provided

-Lightbringer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst part is that they still haven't even explained why he wasn't worthy, why Odin couldn't pick it up, and why making him consciously aware or something make him unworthy......the hammer decides if they are worthy regardless of how righteous the individual views himself.

I guess they couldn't elaborate on it because it was poor writing and they had no good reason to come up with.

Just call it what it is, a Retcon......of my favorite marvel hero.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#273  Edited By username12345

He leaned in close and whispered "Feminism and diversity"

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@-lightbringer-: He isn't worthy because he is an evil, oppressive, white, cis, male and him being a man doesn't support the SJW agenda.

In seriousness I don't really care for Thor, I don't love him but I don't hate him, I like the movies a little and thought the Avengers was cool but batman is my favorite, but this choice is stupid and pointless and is highlighting a disturbing trend in "nerd" culture of changing everyone's in comics race (captian America) gender (thor) or making every one bisexual (Korra/catwoman) and I am going to support you Thor fans all the way. #makethoradude (we're going to have to work on that #)

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345: Thanks for your support, it's certainly appreciated. And the trend of changing already long established and beloved characters simply to fill a perceived diversity "quota" IS rather disturbing as you say. Not only that but it's LAZY, used as a quick solution rather than putting a greater effort into promoting characters who are already female or minorities or even creating NEW characters to fill those roles and giving them the necessary time and attention needed to make something of them.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst part is that they still haven't even explained why he wasn't worthy, why Odin couldn't pick it up, and why making him consciously aware or something make him unworthy......the hammer decides if they are worthy regardless of how righteous the individual views himself.

I guess they couldn't elaborate on it because it was poor writing and they had no good reason to come up with.

Maybe the hammer didn't knew. I mean, if the Hammer decides who's worthy it has to have some sort of conscious into it. Maybe Thor's ignorance was so true even the Hammer couldn't see he wasn't worthy. I mean, one thing is that someone thinks he's worthy when he's not (and the Hammer, "seeing" everything he knows and what he believes in decides he's not) and other thing is that someone don't even know everything he's ever done, and his ignorance is so true the hammer can't see that one sin that makes him unworthy.

No one has ever said the Hammer is like the Watcher or God and knows everything, as far as we know the Hammer only knows what the person who's going to weild it knows abut him/herself.

Or maybe they wanted to explore something new with the character of Thor by making him unworthy and gain some diversity on the way. Who knows.

-Lightbringer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-lightbringer- said:

Maybe the hammer didn't knew. I mean, if the Hammer decides who's worthy it has to have some sort of conscious into it. Maybe Thor's ignorance was so true even the Hammer couldn't see he wasn't worthy. I mean, one thing is that someone thinks he's worthy when he's not (and the Hammer, "seeing" everything he knows and what he believes in decides he's not) and other thing is that someone don't even know everything he's ever done, and his ignorance is so true the hammer can't see that one sin that makes him unworthy.

No one has ever said the Hammer is like the Watcher or God and knows everything, as far as we know the Hammer only knows what the person who's going to weild it knows abut him/herself.

Or maybe they wanted to explore something new with the character of Thor by making him unworthy and gain some diversity on the way. Who knows.

But then with that logic anyone can wield the hammer so long as they believe themselves to be worthy of it, regardless of how many evil acts they made in the past.

space4rentt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"You're a clone"

"I killed Mufasa"

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

could loki be playing a trick?

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: nah loki is trying to redem himself.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#282  Edited By Heatblaze

Can't Odin make another mjolnir? Like seriously.....

EDIT: Never mind I just found out he can't

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tximinoman said:

@-lightbringer- said:

But then with that logic anyone can wield the hammer so long as they believe themselves to be worthy of it, regardless of how many evil acts they made in the past.

No because you don't choose to wield the hammer, the hammer chooses you. So IMO either the hammer has powers similar to those the watcher use to have and knows everything about everyone or it looks inside you in order to know if you are or not worthy. And if that's the case, even if you thought your evil acts don't matter and you're worthy, it is the hammer who decides if they matter or not. And maybe, if there's a secret so deep that not even yourself remember having (and I don't mean like "you don't remember because you have forgotten", more like "you don't remember because someone threw a spell at you or something so to you it truly is like it has never happened") then the hammer could not possibly know that until you learned about it.

As far as I know they didn't said it was THOR's secret, they said it's A secret.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also not a huge fan of the sudden sentience of Mjolnir. The enchantment of worthiness is something Odin bestowed on the hammer, so the hammer does the bidding of Odin (or the Odin Force) in the end. This is whole angle that Aaron is exploring where Mjolnir "is its own character" is quite strange. It's just a forced plot-device on top of another forced plot-device after the other.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the hammer looks not at what this Thor did but what another Thor did in another dimension and that makes this Thor unworthy even though he is worthy he still not be worthy and thus makes him unworthy of being worthy in a worthy unworthy way.

So let me stop the room is spinning.

In short if it was a possible way someplace in the multiverse to be unworthy then Thor would not be able to lift the hammer and Pippy Longstocking would be the only one able to lift so said hammer because she in no universe what so ever is unworthy and that makes the New Thor , Pippy Thor Longstockings. If you notice they never show her stockings from home.

See sub note on the notes of what her home house looks like and I am certain it has a picture of Pippy on the night stand.

To sum it all up and toss it in the trash for the night cleaning crew.

She is pippy pippy long stocking if you say it fast its funny.

Wait you look as if you do not believe.

What did Stan Lee tell you.

Listen Close true believers lol.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't it be funny if Aaron reveals replacement Thor ISN'T Roz but maybe Sharon Carter or some Roxxon secretary who lost her job after forgetting Dario takes his coffee with two sugars and one cream and not the other way around, but really she should have been Tigra because that would have been in keeping with the ridiculousness of this whole stunt and appealed to furry fetishists at the same time thus further increasing sales. Why I'm not on the Marvel editorial board I'll never know, these guys are asleep at the wheel. And Marvel should acquire the rights to Pipi Lungstuffing and make her THE Wolverine of the MU.

Cam712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well let's think about it, and I mean ACTUALLY think about it. Maybe Fury revealed something to Thor that the God of Thunder didn't know about himself, his history, etc. Maybe some action erased from his mind, some future action he will inevitably take with horrific consequences, something that could traumatize Thor into thinking subconsciously that he is not worthy.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cam712: that's already been covered, Thor either knowing or not knowing of a past infraction would still make him unworthy regardless, not once he became aware of it, but PIS takes precedence. And if the worthiness enchantment worked in such a way ANY future event would have made him unworthy altogether, from the very start.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we just have to keep and open mind even I keep forgetting that and I love to Write.

I think most fear the end of our beloved Thor and that is what bothers people most.

Not a female Thor but the Male Thor we have cheered on through the years.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That pretty much sums up my concern.

JosephSinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By JosephSinger

it oked like "The audience knew' or something. No clue

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: @arthurkerr: Guys female Thor is temporary she won't survive 2016 still wielding Mjolnir...She is human it's just another bad run like Eric Masterson, she isn't and never will be Odin's daughter, Loki's sister and definitely not the heir to Asgard's throne, etc Thor stories can't survive without that elements forever, and she will be around more time because secret wars has other versions of Thor, besides it's unthinkable that Thor isn't worthy again for the Ragnarok movie.

Back to this topic this whisper was only an instant plot device to make possible the announced change, this will never make any sense, because wasn't planned, there were no seeds in TGOT that could indicate that this was a possibility, doesn't have any foundations, it's just pure P.I.S. writing...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

Back to this topic this whisper was only an instant plot device to make possible the announced change, this will never make any sense, because wasn't planned, there were no seeds in TGOT that could indicate that this was a possibility, doesn't have any foundations, it's just pure P.I.S. writing...

This is something at least we can all agree on. Aaron may indeed have had the idea in mind for a story at some point, but I think Marvel editorial really pushed him to go all out with it and probably way ahead of what he may have been planning.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time will tell , I guess we play the wait game and see. Here is to hope.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time will tell , I guess we play the wait game and see. Here is to hope.

No Caption Provided

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

I said the same thing when this whole fiasco was announced. There was absolutely no evidence that Aaron was building to any of this. Luckily I didn't waste my hard earned cash buying this new relaunch.

Malhavok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@i_dont_like_comics: I believe you are correct. I clearly see what could be Balder as the first word of the second line. No one else seems to see that?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By arthurkerr

It was when he seen his sister in that outfit that hardly covered anything.

Would make most men unworthy lol

johannschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By johannschmidt

After looking at this a while if they are actual words Fury said they look like possibly "Thor Balderson Karnilla" which, if true would mean Thor is the illegitimate son of Balder Odinson and Karnilla. That's just my theory though.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johannschmidt: Maybe in an alternate universe, and it doesn't really make much sense unless Odin has been trolling Thor for countless millennia.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.