Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8588 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Odin's protrayal recently(rant)

• 63 results
    Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spiderman1997

I absolutely HATE how Aaron portrays Odin in his new Thor comics. Ever since he is freed from his self exile in Asgard, he just acts like an arrogant child. You want examples, here they are : In Thor #1, he sees Thor not being sble to pick up Mjolnir. When Odin himself tries to lift it, he can't for some reason. And what does he do ? Just bursts out in a childish anger and blasts the thing. In the latest issue when he tries to learn She-Thor's identity but can't do it, he just gets mad and sends the people who were helping him to dungeons 'because of their incompetence. And he is now planning to send Destroyer after her. The Odin in a Simonson or Jurgens comic would welome the She-Thor and try to find a solution to the problem together. And on top of all that, Freya is actually the calm and wise leader that Odin was supposed to be. This is the kind of the wise mother idiot father cliche that you would see on some pathetic comedy TV series. Odin I have known was always portrayed as this sometimes a little short tempered, but an always wise and powerful leader that cares about what his subjects are advising. And he also looked like an actual father to Thor. When you looked at him you would know that he is the father of a noble person like Thor. Right now he just looks like a stubborn little kid in an old man's body. Anyway I'd like to know what you guys think.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin has always had the ability to be a huge jerk at times, like putting Thor on trial and possibly having him killed because he disturbed him from his exile, and letting his father Bor stay dead, but he does truly care about his people and is a wise and noble king. So I agree with you. He is acting like a child right now, and Freyja is a much better leader at this time. Sif and the rest of the asgardians were genuinely disappointed that Odin had returned because he's such a bad ruler. I think Aaron has misunderstood Odin just a little bit. He's short tempered but he is the god of wisdom, and this is not how he should be acting. I don't like freyja either, and how nice she and the rest of the asgardians are to lady Thor, including Odinson, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I have heard that Odin was like that since Fraction took Thor. Although not saving Bor is jerkish, he did have a reason. He didn't agree with Bor's ways and thought Asgard would be better off without him. Sounds arrogant I know but he still put his kingdom above all else. And once he learned that he was the reason that Thor was on a rampage in Blood and Thunder he rectified his mistakes instead of being an ignorant kid that you would see on YouTube comments.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderman1997: True, Fraction did make Odin into more of a jerk than he was before, that's when he put Thor on trial. And in regards to not saving Bor, he did have a good reason, but later on he mentions that Bor had a little bit of evil in him by telling Odin to adopt Loki, and Odin mentioned that he had some of that same evil in him too, inherited from his father.

But like you basically said, even though he is a jerk sometimes he still truly cares about his kingdom and would die to protect them. How he is acting now is not correct.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I wonder if Fraction and Aaron had daddy issues.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Al Ewing's Odin in Loki Agent of Asgard is being written like the All Wise All Father of Asgard, completely different from Aaron's Odin they are 2 different characters, Aaron's Odin antagonist role doesn't fit the All Father of Asgard his motivations are absurd, the worse thing that a writer can do, when he is writing Gods is Humanize them.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Odin's short cameo at the end of The God Bomb arc filled me with excitement and interest at how Aaron would write further appearances of Odin in his run. However, Odin's portrayal in She Thor's run hasn't met my expectations. Screaming and throwing his weight around like a petulant child is not how The King of Asgard should act. Yeah Odin is a d*** but not that kind of d***. The lack of wisdom, tough love and authoritarian leadership is ruining Odin's characterisation because of Aaron's desired PR stunt of a storyline. What's the point of bringing Odin back if he's going to act so ridiculously?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By arthurkerr

Odin would be a hard one to write a hero in his own way a leader and a father to not only one kingdom but 9 realms and what ever those realms would mean to each other.

So to look at this character and make him so simple and act like a brat , Odin is a great leader for he has lead his people and got them that far so as to say he was a bad leader is a horrible statement.To many people need to write those whom live so long and place them in such a simple mindset.

Jason had touched on this whole idea with Thor but he stayed in simple land with just Thor and did not expand the universe to Odin and Sif and the 9 realms , Bor was the name of a mountain range and never really mentioned to much and was a rumor but Odin was All Father of the gods for the Norse people. The wise one the traveler the one that was a true leader and so many other names.

A great story has many characters not just one , to truly expand on this story you could bring in Odin and make him more then one sided put off in the back or dead , you could show Loki the brother with more then just evil intent learning and growing as a character and you could show Baldar the brave the light the knight that he is supposed to represent instead of trying to push some agenda.

You have the spice but have you added it at the proper time have you looked into the world of Marvel and asked what would fit into this universe and added the proper respect to what has been and what will be?

Odin is a powerful figure and should remain so.

I for one wish he had his own book a traveler a tester of souls sometimes the hero sometimes the villain (in some minds) Loki was more like Odin and some say that Odin liked Loki more then Thor because he took after him.

Thor is a awesome character but he is a awe inspiring character because of Odin and Loki and Baldar and Sif and how they all fit into a larger universe.

Over all Food for thought.

Try the pizza rolls.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not odin its Cul

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I like an angry Odin more than how he is often portrayed as an old wise sky father.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I was thinking that maybe he only has Odin acting this way because he's pissed at female Thor being around, and its making him act weirdly. He seems to be taking his personality to the extreme. Odin sent the destroyer after this girl. He is not messing around. I think Aaron has forgotten the he is the god of wisdom. I can't wait until the female Thor story is over though and we can see more of Jason Aarons Thor stories. We haven't seen him use many other asgardians besides Thor and I want to see him use Sif and the others after this current story.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how he would portray Odin if he gave it the proper thought and respect he deserves?

I mean you already have his children and a rich history but how much could be done with Odin , Thor , Loki etc etc etc.

So much good material to work with. Like a kid in a candy store really.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: You're absolutely correct, there such a rich tapestry to be woven with alll these characters yet it seems Aaron has chosen to make burlap with what he has at his disposal.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_jackolantern

I don't think Odin is even in control of himself at the moment I think cul is messing with him some how

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Odin is even in control of himself at the moment I think cul is messing with him some how

I also thought that, or even Mangog since Aaron will use him in this run, but canon is canon and in Loki Agent of Asgard we have the normal and Wise Odin.

The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Yeah canon is canon until it isn't.

We are dealing with a Loki comic so just cause you see something on page doesn't mean that is actually what we are seeing.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Yeah canon is canon until it isn't.

We are dealing with a Loki comic so just cause you see something on page doesn't mean that is actually what we are seeing.

I know very well what i saw and read in Loki AA last issue, the message was clear, Odin was portrayed like the Wise Odin, in contrast with Freyja, in Loki 11# Odin was written like Asgard's All Father... You should read it...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By z3ro180

I don't mind Aaron's Odin it fits for the story and fits the character odin has been written as for the last couple of years.

The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I did read it and while it does seem like he was acting like the wise Odin he did say Even after given his eye to be the wise all father sometime he doesn't act that way so that give another reason why he can be a dick in Thor

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_jackolantern:

1 "I don't think Odin is even in control of himself at the moment I think cul is messing with him some how".

2 "Even after given his eye to be the wise all father sometime he doesn't act that way so that give another reason why he can be a dick in Thor".

That are different assumptions...

Not showing wisdom in every decision doesn't have nothing to do with Odin's behavior in female Thor book, his actions and motivations are not believable, Female Thor is not a real threat like Galactus to use the Destroyer, like i said in my first post Gods are Gods because they don't act like humans, write Odin like a simple emotional angry human doesn't fit the All Father of Asgard.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@spiderman1997: I completely agree, Odin´s behavior is out of character and I hope he doesn´t act this way for too long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest problem is Odin sending the freaking destroyer after her. Its really not that serious. At least we will get to see her get beaten up now though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@lvenger: I was thinking that maybe he only has Odin acting this way because he's pissed at female Thor being around, and its making him act weirdly. He seems to be taking his personality to the extreme. Odin sent the destroyer after this girl. He is not messing around. I think Aaron has forgotten the he is the god of wisdom. I can't wait until the female Thor story is over though and we can see more of Jason Aarons Thor stories. We haven't seen him use many other asgardians besides Thor and I want to see him use Sif and the others after this current story.

Even a pi$$ed off Odin hasn't acted this petulantly or childishly. Worse still, now that I think about it, Odin should be capable of depowering Thor since he's done it the past when he sent him to Earth as Dr Donald Blake, and he took away half of Thor's power in the middle of a fight with Hercules (well he gave the power to his advisor to take away half of Thor's power but vis a vis) So this story could be over much more quickly than it already is yet Odin is somehow unable to affect the power of Mjolnir, which makes no sense because he's its creator.

I wasn't that impressed with The Accursed tbf but if Aaron does get this horrid PR stunt out the way by 2015-2016, we can see him return to some of his better kind of Thor stories. Maybe I'll come back to Aaron's run then. Despite my disdain towards Aaron's gimmicky story, it isn't as terrible as Slott on Superior Spider-Man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: nice points about Odin being able to just outright depower her. Aaron had to depower Odin to even make this story happen. Odin even said that perhaps his omnipotence isn't what it once was. He obviously isn't actually omnipotent but the point is that he's losing power. If you have to depower Odin to tell your story, something is wrong with your story. They didn't have to do this crap with Beta Ray Bill. There were so many better ways Jason Aaron could be gone about this, besides having female Thor fight against Odin and the destroyer and basically turning Odin into an antagonist, and having Thor give up his identity and became a depressed drunkard. There'd better a damn good reason Odin is unworthy and is so less powerful now.

However, according to the solicit issue #8 is where we will see the actual final Thor vs destoryer fight, and the solicit also says we will find out her identity so maybe the destroyer actually destroys her and makes her reveal it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I keep hoping that the next foe She-Thor faces will bloody and bruise her well. But at least She Thor is facing all kinds of powerful and unique foes if that image from Thor: GOT #25 is to be believed. Why couldn't Thor Odinson be taking on Gladiator, Mangog and The Destroyer?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Re-reading this made me think that Aaron may have intended Odin as a stand in for the detractors of his replacement Thor run from the start, since it was already receiving a fair amount of criticism from the time it was announced. He just finally jumped the shark with the Absorbing Man and Titania.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Maybe, Odin could represent those who are too close minded to accept a new Thor. Also, if you're story is composed of you trying to answer to opposer's and defend your decision to make a female Thor then you have a crappy story.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin's behavior and apparent inability to use his vast power to discover the chick's identity is just another miserable, contrived plot-device in a mess of a story.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just do not think it is Odin at all.

Acts nothing like Odin , Odin can time travel at will , he can call anybody to him he wishes to speak to thus you seen this in BRB when he just willed him to him.

I mean so if Odin wanted to talk to the female Thor or anybody for that matter he would of just poofed her or him to him.

Why the sudden change in power levels.

Odin put the enchantment on the hammer he can remove it , change it , alter it at a whim or maybe he is jus a bad actor and he just wants Thor to learn other Lesson.

This one could indeed be the case but whom knows. We do not see much of Odin so many people cannot say how he normaly acts around say the castle.

Does he eat the same foods , go fishing in the same places , talk to normal friends.

I mean is he doing his normal stuff.Never was one for a wimp of a Odin , He needs to eat a few golden apples and regain his youth again.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like an angry Odin more than how he is often portrayed as an old wise sky father.

That's kind of what he is though. An extremely old and wise Skyfather.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the end of the day this is the modern Marvel method. Tear everything down to the "nitty gritty" with no clue how to bring the story back to the light (See: Bendis, Brian Michael).

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rubear

From what i saw Odin is likely somehow corrupted or mind-cintrolled by Cul.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By antithetical

@haveatthee said:

At the end of the day this is the modern Marvel method. Tear everything down to the "nitty gritty" with no clue how to bring the story back to the light (See: Bendis, Brian Michael).

lather, rinse, repeat...

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@spambot said:

That's kind of what he is though. An extremely old and wise Skyfather.

I understand that but its just fun when he is being all angry and stuffs. I like dark powerful character, current Odin is shaping out like that ^_^

Dcisthebest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin is lame

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to point out nobody really cared about odin until Aaron started writing him and for the last few years Odin has been written pretty much the same way as aaron has been doing it.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin is awesome and for the record I always cared about Odin.

To many people want to keep them in a simple frame of time and space.

Even Jason says he likes the Norse gods because they live so long.

Because you can do so much with them.

I would make Odin look younger and use him to explore the universe with his sons.

I would make his wife younger and bolder as well.

Warriors keeping the universe safe.

We need to get back to the roots of the mythology and a Loki that was not evil but a trickster , a Thor that was the warrior born , a Odin that is wise and all knowing and maybe even admit that the future changes when you view it.

That the future is kind of fickle it never likes it when somebody thinks they know it all.

Odin has so much to offer he is the character of characters. The superman of the old age.

He test his sons , his people all the time , he has the explorer bug and has to roam from time to time(thus the name The traveler)

He uses a bow , sword and a spear.

He gave a eye to see the future and protect his people but never made a plan on how to change so said future.

(only odd part I never liked lol)

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: No, only Matt Fraction portrayed Odin as an insufferable, "get off my lawn" type of character. This is what happens when you desperately try to "humanize" characters that are obviously not human.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By z3ro180

@haveatthee: yes and since then in the main thor title odin has been written like that so to complain it's out of character for odin when it has been established thats ow he is is not a very solid argument.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

agreed

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shouldn't Thor now go by Gaeason instead of Odinson?

Odin is the core of the Aesir, but his character was build with the premise of wisdom (Gave an eye for that) and that's how he's portrayed in Loki's and Angela's current books, but Aaron's current take on this character doesn't respect his core elements and he acts like a humanized one dimensional character, the way how Thor quits on his own identity to an unknown character, doesn't support the magnitude of that action, he is not human he is a pure Aesir Asgardian God that was as heroic as you can be without Mjolnir, acknowledging Aaron's issue 8 preview, it's not very believable that in the described scenario Freyja and Thor Odinson only could reunite female characters to support them, for ex. Warriors 3? Feels forced and heavy handed close to how Titania was portrayed in issue 5, with that being said should Thor still be connected to Aaron's hideous Odin? Isn't Gaeason or Freyja adopted son, a better fit for the original Thor in Aaron's current narrative?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: So what you're saying is Aaron has made Thor into a "mama's boy". Yep, how the mighty have fallen... :(

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: So what you're saying is Aaron has made Thor into a "mama's boy". Yep, how the mighty have fallen... :(

Precisely currently the Aesir concept doesn't mean anything to Aaron, write Odin or Thor outside of that concept should be prohibited, but there are other writers that still write Thor with that and the other core concepts...

No Caption Provided
    Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderman1997: Aaron is a tumblrite parasite, did you expect quality?

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide: Well, after his God of Thunder run I kinda did.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.