Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

My Thor Review.

Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Achilles.

First things first, Thor is by far the best movie based on a Marvel Character. It's up there with other superhero movie great like Spiderman 2 and The Dark Knight.

On the movie

The movie itself is amazing. The actors, the CGI, everything. It has anything you would want to see in a Thor movie. Kenneth Branagh direction was perfect and together with the cast, The movie brings the movie to absolute perfection. The movie itself has lots of action, lots of romance and a seriously lots of comedy. 

On the actors

Thor: Let me tell you no one, I mean no one can seriously replace Chris Hemsworth as Thor. His performance was breathtaking. He acting was awesome, being arrogant and being a badass. He looks like Thor, He sounds like Thor, He acts like Thor etc. etc. He was pretty funny in almost every scene. My favorite line from the movie was
     I laughed my ass out.

Jane Foster: Natalie Portman never fails to impress you in any role she plays. In the movie, She looks like a midget compared to Chris. The two has great chemistry together. I understand why she got cast.

Loki: Tom Hiddleston, in my opinion,had the best performance in the film. He showed true emotion. He should get an Oscar nomination for his part. He showed anger, jealousy, and other emotions beautifully. He was born to play this role. In the comics, He is showed to be the inferior brother like the comics, but in the movie, He only wanted to be Thor's equal,which only made me like him more.

Other characters: Anthony Hopkins play Odin and he did it fantastically lie all others. The Warriors Three had a great part in the movie, especially Ray Stevenson as Volstagg, he was pretty funny. Idris Elba who plays Heimdall, was a bit stiff at first but he loosens up in the middle of the movie. Colm Feore plays a great villain, playing Laufey, King of the Frost Giants and Loki's father. Sif played by Jaimie Alexander was cast perfectly.

Cameos: WE GOT A PREVIEW OF HAWKEYE!!!! Jeremy Renner even in a small role, still gives you chills on what's gonna happen in the Avengers. This has to be the best Cameo that Stan Lee appeared in. He is gonna make you laugh I guarantee it. There are also special mentions to Donald Blake, Iron and Hulk. 

On the Locations

The Scene where Asgard is first shown is breathtaking, It is really a place only for Gods. Anyone would love to live in Asgard. The Bifrost bridge looked spectacular, it didnt even look a rainbow bridge. Its all shiny.

Jotunheim looked exactly where you would find a frost giant. It doesnt looke like an ice castle like most of you would think, It's actually just glaciers and one big throne in the middle.

On the Props

Well, All I can say is that it is absolutely perfect. The costumes,( Thor's armor made him look more awesome), The weapons, (Mjolnir looks fricking bad ass), The set, ( Any castle looks like crap compared to what's in Thor. There is so much more.

So That's about it, wont reveal to much.

I give this movie 9.8 of 10

Avatar image for prince_cortsether
    Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Prince CortSether

Heimdall was horribly cast. How many black people are in Norse Mythology? Zero. It's like if Marvel went and made a Black Panther movie and got Vanilla Ice to play  T'Challa.

Oh, and why is Tadanobu Asano playing Hogun the Grim? He's Japanese.

This does not = Nordic.

Jeez, why don't we get Sacha Baron Cohen to play Musashi if they come out with a samurai movie about him.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By doordoor123
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warlock360
    @Prince CortSether said:
    " Heimdall was horribly cast. How many black people are in Norse Mythology? Zero. It's like if Marvel went and made a Black Panther movie and got Vanilla Ice to play  T'Challa.Oh, and why is Tadanobu Asano playing Hogun the Grim? He's Japanese.This does not = Nordic. Jeez, why don't we get Sacha Baron Cohen to play Musashi if they come out with a samurai movie about him. "
    Pro tip: Marvel's Asgardians are Alien.
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By castleking
    @Prince CortSether said:
    " Heimdall was horribly cast. How many black people are in Norse Mythology? Zero. It's like if Marvel went and made a Black Panther movie and got Vanilla Ice to play  T'Challa.Oh, and why is Tadanobu Asano playing Hogun the Grim? He's Japanese.This does not = Nordic. Jeez, why don't we get Sacha Baron Cohen to play Musashi if they come out with a samurai movie about him. "
    pretty sure Hogun the Grim is Mongolian in the comics... : /
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I loved it. I thought it was Marvel's best film by a field.

That said, I hope your 9.8 rating was context-based. It wasn't Blade Runner good lol.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Prince CortSether: I find it hysterical that nobody gave a damn about Heimdale as a character until they cast a black guy to play them and then all the sudden everyone comes out of the wood work bitching about how they're ruining a character they love when they haven't even seen if he does it well or not, and BTW Hogun the grim is an asian character always has been(well asian looking any way, I believe they were going for Mongol)
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By castleking
    @joshmightbe said:

" @Prince CortSether: I find it hysterical that nobody gave a damn about Heimdale as a character until they cast a black guy to play them and then all the sudden everyone comes out of the wood work bitching about how they're ruining a character they love when they haven't even seen if he does it well or not, and BTW Hogun the grim is an asian character always has been(well asian looking any way, I believe they were going for Mongol) "

gotta love when ppl dont read thor comics and come   b#$%in out of the wood work. not like you or me... *shoulder tap*

i mean i have every reason not to want a black Heimdal b/c i actually know who he is.. and i dont care if Hogun is asian cause he is suppose to be and ppl would know that if they actually read comics.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @castleking: I do understand why Heimdal being played by a black guy might bother some people but its not like you're going to a Thor movie to see Heimdal so as long as he's even an adequate actor it shouldn't detract from the movie. I had my reservations about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin but he turned out to be a bright spot in the Daredevil movie, and I noticed that not one person complained when Terry Fitzgerald in the Spawn movie was played by DB Sweeny, sure that movie was awful but even so if you're going to complain about a black guy playing a traditionally white character it should go both ways
    Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Never said that I loved the character before. My problem is that Asgardians are associated with Norse culture, and people usually base their Gods after their own image. How many Norsemen do you think based their gods on people they've most likely never even seen before? Yeah, Marvel goes the whole other route and says "they're actually aliens" but Asgardians as a concept were based on the gods of Norse Mythology, so it's just a PC cop out to make the Asgardians multi-cultural.

@castleking:
    Hogan the Grim looks more Northern Asian than Japanese, so getting a Japanese person to play him is just as stupid.
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warlock360
    @Prince CortSether said:
    "  so it's just a PC cop out to make the Asgardians multi-cultural.
     "
    dont even see a problem in that if it's only marvels view. 
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By castleking

@joshmightbe said:

" @castleking: I do understand why Heimdal being played by a black guy might bother some people but its not like you're going to a Thor movie to see Heimdal so as long as he's even an adequate actor it shouldn't detract from the movie. I had my reservations about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin but he turned out to be a bright spot in the Daredevil movie, and I noticed that not one person complained when Terry Fitzgerald in the Spawn movie was played by DB Sweeny, sure that movie was awful but even so if you're going to complain about a black guy playing a traditionally white character it should go both ways "

i do. i complain when movies arent true to the source material. i noticed when terry was white i was all, aint he suppose to be black? i than ignored it cause it was a crappy movie and there was  more to complain than that one issue.

i personally dont like token racial characters i think it is offensive and disingenuous to ppl. "hey look we are progressive"
    no you are not you just took a giant step back....

i was slightly bothered with kingpin but realized you wouldnt find the right white character to cast kingpin i personally thought he was a horrible actor.

Hiemdal is Sif's brother so stands to reason even by movie continuity they would resemble each other. dont pander to me is all i am saying
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @warlock360 said:
    " @Prince CortSether said:
    "  so it's just a PC cop out to make the Asgardians multi-cultural.
     "
    dont even see a problem in that if it's only marvels view.  "
    I hate Idris Elba with a fiery passion, but I actually think he was a good Heimdall. His boring, monotonous voice suited the character well.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Prince CortSether: My main point is it doesn't matter because A. he's a side character, B. There are plenty of old religions that have gods that look nothing like the people that worship them, Aztecs had blonde haired blue eyed gods and Egyptians had gods that didn't even look human so the argument that gods had to look like the people who worshiped them is pointless, C. The guy they picked is a damn good actor who improves everything he's in 
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By castleking
    @joshmightbe said:

" @Prince CortSether: My main point is it doesn't matter because A. he's a side character, B. There are plenty of old religions that have gods that look nothing like the people that worship them, Aztecs had blonde haired blue eyed gods and Egyptians had gods that didn't even look human so the argument that gods had to look like the people who worshiped them is pointless, C. The guy they picked is a damn good actor who improves everything he's in  "

Aztec is a anglo european made up  name we prefer the term Mexica pronounced Mesheeka.. and my people also had a black god called tezcatlipoca the god of chaos, sorcery and Darkness to compliment Quetzacoatl the "white god" and to be fair he still possessed Native facial features it was just his eyes, hair, beard and skin were different color from the norm.. but the point is that is based on actual mythology and claiming it is okay b/c the Mesheeka had them is not. Nordic pantheon didnt have them so it is not cool.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshmightbe
    @castleking: My main point is that the casting of Hiemdal shouldn't be causing all this grief, if they had cast a white guy no one would even care if he was even in the movie, did you hear anyone complain when he got surprised by hulk and one shoted in Hulk vs, no you didn't cause no one even realized he was in it 
    Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

" @Prince CortSether: My main point is it doesn't matter because A. he's a side character, B. There are plenty of old religions that have gods that look nothing like the people that worship them, Aztecs had blonde haired blue eyed gods and Egyptians had gods that didn't even look human so the argument that gods had to look like the people who worshiped them is pointless, C. The guy they picked is a damn good actor who improves everything he's in  "

Yes, not everybody bases their gods looking like them, but most of the ones who worship human-looking gods depict them as looking like their own. Even if every other religion worshiped gods that looked completely different, the Scandinavians depicted their gods as looking exactly like them, so saying that other cultures worshiped gods that didn't look like themselves doesn't really have to do with anything. Even if you wanted to argue that because the Asgardians of Marvel are aliens and therefore they should be multi-cultural, Idris Elba looks absolutely nothing like the comic portrayal of Heimdall, who is drawn as a bearded white guy. And having Tadanobu Asono as Hogun the Grim just undermines the whole "let's look progressive" aspect since they're trying to say it's okay to cast a Japanese man as someone who is drawn as having features of a Hun.
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By castleking
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @castleking: My main point is that the casting of Hiemdall shouldn't be causing all this grief, if they had cast a white guy no one would even care if he was even in the movie, did you hear anyone complain when he got surprised by hulk and one shotted in Hulk vs, no you didn't cause no one even realized he was in it  "
    it doesnt matter to the average movie viewer, i am sure comic purest noticed him. i know i did.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe
    @castleking: I noticed him too and was actually kind of upset that Hulk was able to get the jump on him due to the fact that his sensory perception is better than almost everyone else in comics, he can see and hear things that Superman would miss, Wolverine might as well be deaf compared to him and he can't hear Hulk roaring right behind him?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @castleking: I noticed him too and was actually kind of upset that Hulk was able to get the jump on him due to the fact that his sensory perception is better than almost everyone else in comics, he can see and hear things that Superman would miss, Wolverine might as well be deaf compared to him and he can't hear Hulk roaring right behind him? "
    Hulk Vs was never intended to be comic-accurate with regard to power levels though. The Hulk made Thor look like an absolute b**** in that movie. It was about Bruce Banner more than anything (which is why it was awesome).
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I did like it though I just assumed Loki's anger toward Thor was giving Hulk a super charge 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe: Eh, maybe, but I doubt that Loki is angrier than the Hulk is normally.

Hulk Vs is better in hindsight. Hulk vs Wolverine was more fun, but Hulk vs Thor had the far superior story.
    Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Achilles.
    vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vidarrodinson

Good review.  I enjoyed reading it.  Good stuff.  It seems a lot of people are upset about the ethnicticity of the movie cast.   Some people just don"t  ( See The Big Picture) .  For those that  do,  Let keep it moving.  Hurry up May 6.
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Loki9876

I agree the movie was soooooo good best superhero movie in my opinion but thats maybe because i'm huge thor fan. Loki is my favorite comicbook character and I really liked him. He wasn't as evil as in the comics but he's getting more evil. (you should know if you watched the after-the-credits scene. He just started but I really liked him in the movie.
    and all the people who complain about Idris Elba. I can understand it but he played his part good. just consider him as another ragnarok-version of Heimdall. (iff you follow the comics you know what I mean.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoeH

Agree with the review a lot, Loki is one of the best villains I''ve seen on screen for a long time. Chris Hemsworth is bloody great as thor and surprisingly hilarious. The guy who played Heimdall did so with an appropriate amount of slightly absent mindedness.(Just saying, wow I can't believe this thread of a decent review descended into childish and pointless squabbling about not being able to deal with a black Heimdall).

A surprisingly faithful adaptation, the changes are minor and perfectly justified. They dont hammer on about the "magic and technology are one and the same thing"too much, just enough to make Norse Gods fit well into the Marvel Film Universe. The greatest triumph of Kenneth Brannagh in this film was that it feels like a Marvel Film. The style of comedy and general feel of the world is perfectly in tune with Favreau's Iron Man films. And personally I think Thor is by far better than Iron Man.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @warlock360 said:
    Pro tip: Marvel's Asgardians are Alien. "

Marvel's Asgardians are more... well first they aren't Norse myths definitely. In the in-story comic universe they are real. How many black people were their in Norse mythology though sorta makes no sense anyway from anyone bringing up that point as a criticism really. I mean how many blonde Thor's were their? Oh... zero. Its like Marvel went out and changed a fictional character that didn't exist in the first place. lol Marvel uses Bald Eagles in Thor comics all the time. This amuses my Norwegian friends to no end. Marvel Thor is so americanized (understandably) Where are the threads about people asking for accuracy there? I guess racial accuracy is more important to some, than actual accuracy. I am sure if Black Panther was a or descended from a mystical character born from the planet earth and mystical god energy expelled from Atum after eating demons that was a B-List character in a book with 30 more important characters and his popularity had nothing to do with his skin color people would not care if anyone played him. Heimdall =/= Black Panther. 

Anyway Marvel's Asgardians come from Earth and weird elder got energy sorta, its complicated and vague. They are essentially aliens true in a way, then again... but i think i agree with your sentiment? (In that they are not born out of the ideas and understandings of the Norse). They have looked different as well at different times too. Their appearances are not shaped on the ideas and perceptions of Germanic peoples nor therefore parallel the appearances of real life mythological versions of these characters. Just like the Eagles. Funny that. Surprisingly consistent in its accuracy. 

(whoops, sorry if it sounds like I am criticizing your comments warlock360, I was not ^__^)

@castleking said:
    pretty sure Hogun the Grim is Mongolian in the comics... : / "

Just from the East. An undefined place from the East that was ambiguous and mysterious. Hogun's look was based on Charles Bronson. Bronson has Lipka Tatar heritage, which ties in of course with looking Mongolian. Then indeed his fellow people and sort of land was given a Mongolian look. The people who wiped them out, Mogul, from the land of Zanadu, was based on Persia and Persians (but not from their either. Sort of like the myth version. Marvel myth stuff gets strange sometimes. 

@castleking said:
    " dont pander to me is all i am saying "

I wouldn't so worry in this instance (not saying that you are, nor saying what you should care for lol ^_^). Just that he guy who made the decision just didn't care in this instance. He casts colorblind all the time. I have not seen those other movies myself, but given the setting here is fantasy, I think its valid. So potentially he could be accused of racial insensitivity. Definitely not pandering though. 
    Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Achilles.
    @Loki9876 said:
    " I agree the movie was soooooo good best superhero movie in my opinion but thats maybe because i'm huge thor fan. Loki is my favorite comicbook character and I really liked him. He wasn't as evil as in the comics but he's getting more evil. (you should know if you watched the after-the-credits scene. He just started but I really liked him in the movie.and all the people who complain about Idris Elba. I can understand it but he played his part good. just consider him as another ragnarok-version of Heimdall. (iff you follow the comics you know what I mean. "
    Actually I did. It wasnt a suprise he
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Achilles.:  Thats a great review thank you, plus thank you for the way you wrote it especially. Spoiler tags and all that. Plus evaluation of the actors performance!  I can't wait! ^_^
    Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Achilles.
    @SC: Thanks if you want to know anything just ask?
    armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By armylife1124

I hope that Marvel cast a white guy as one of Black Panther's top aids from the comics, just to see if everyone is equally upset about that as they are about the casting of Heimdall.(sorry I do not know any of BPs other characters, I have not read his solo stuff).

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By Deranged Midget

Thor looks amazing! Awesome review Achilles!

Oh and about Heimdall being portrayed by a black man. Who gives a s#it. I don't see anyone complaining when Jake Gyllenhaal(and most of the actors) who were cast in Prince of Persia, weren't Persian... Just kick back and enjoy the movie. Something so small shouldn't bother you so much.
    Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Thor was a great movie. Can't wait to see more =)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.