Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

My problem with the new Thor(the series and the charcter).

• 87 results
    Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Makentsu

So you may have not noticed that I'm not the biggest fan of the new Thor,let me say this though it's not her as concept I don't like(because let's be honest if done right this would've been pretty awesome.) It's her character or rather the lack there of a character you see the reason changes like Kamala and Miles work so well is because they are there own characters they are unique in there own right they aren't just a different ethnicity or gender they're their own people.With fem-Thor I don't really get that feeling all I actually see is just Thor with boobs in fact I feel aaron went out of his way to make her look and act like the Original Thor for no real reason,just think for a sec if you took away those thought bubbles and just looked at any random page you would probably think Thor was turned into a woman and that this wasn't a new character.

I know you could say that her character being this way is to keep the mystery alive but that leads me into another problem in that this isn't that good a mystery,I mean a mystery is supposed to keep you on the edge and always second guessing leaving you with an endless list of suspects both for the characters and the readers to guess whodunit and why.With this mystery everybody narrowed it down to two characters by issue 2 -_-(now it's just obvious that it's Roz.) and from then on I could tell that this story was being rushed for secret wars.Now a good mystery would be something more like the hobgoblin when he first came out, I feel as though this mystery should have been the focus for the whole 8 issues instead of trying to focus on multiple things in 8 issues before the series ends that way it could've been more developed.

This series is just another example of story-driven book where if you just looked at her character you wouldn't fine anything of actual interest which leads to another problem with the story the fact that this story could've worked with the original Thor or anybody else for that matter you could've put Volstagg as the main character at least then it would've been funny.

And as much as I dislike the series I do have to give credit to Superior Spider-man for it at least had the character be unique in his own way and not just be a carbon copy of the original. I feel like this series is like Lok where the interesting characters are in the supporting cast. Because I'm much more interested in seeing what everyone else is up to than "trying'' to figure out fem Thor's identity. I mean if you wanted a woman to lift the hammer and be the new hero to replace him fine there's nothing wrong with that but at least give her a personality that isn't sandpaper.And the really funny part is these problems are in aaron's book only if you read her in Thor annual 1(which i recommend if you want a fun read.) Noelle Stevenson does a better job of writing her as a unique character who does things differently than how aaron writes her.But then what would you expect from the man who compared writing women to writing 150 year old Canadian mutants and alien:

TIME: Do you change the way you write for a female character at all?

Aaron: No. I mean, it doesn’t change for me. The story didn’t come about because of any sort of mandate. It’s not like we threw a dart at a board and said we’re going to change this character and make it a female. This was the natural progression of the story I was telling and that’s been building in Thor history for decades now.

I’ve written stories about Canadian mutants who are 150 years old and about aliens in space. It doesn’t matter: I’m clearly not any of those people. But it doesn’t matter the race or gender or where those people are from. It’s all about figuring out that character and telling your story.

So yeah my problem isn't with Fem-Thor so much as it is with the fact that instead of being a character she's just a caricature.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makentsu: I've felt quite similar about replacement Thor, I thought the idea was kind of interesting when first announced and was willing to give it a chance, but the execution of the story has been staggeringly underwhelming. The whole "who is replacement Thor" schtick has worn thin (a few issues ago actually) and as you said, she has all the character of a sheet of sandpaper (or a cardboard cutout), I already don't care who she is and have only continued reading for the group of supporting characters, of which classic Thor is unfortunately a member.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am enjoying the seris and the new Thor, true she isn't really her own character in the sence she talks like the old times thor but she is when she is thinking to her self In a normal way Insted of the old timey way with the thee and thous. Its not a well kept secret that it is Roz and I'm ok with that because Roz is a cool character and when it is out right said that she is who we know it is, the character of Fem-Thor will be a better one.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Asgaard

Marvel comics promised a female version of Thor, and that is just what she is... the current creative decisions were based in a sudden pr stunt, obviously the execution was terrible because has no basis in TGOT, all the instant plot devices to accomplish this change weren't believable ...There isn't much more to say about the present crappy writing...

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Hey if you like it that's great like I said I'm not the biggest fan of how aaron's writes her but I don't hate her and I'm glad to know people do find something to like about her and her story,I'm just more into legacy characters being unique which is why I like Noelle Stevenson's version of her.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makentsu: I do like the new series but there are some nit picks that I have. For example the reasoning behind her using the name thor is just daft. Not a major problem but it is kind of annoying. The series as a whole I think is good but the major problem is nothing has happened yet in the series so I can't help but feel that this entire 8 issue run is nothing but a really big prelude to what Is eventually going to happen later on.

Most people on this site say that Fem-Thor is a PR and that I completly disagree with. A PR stunt is usually done in order to promote something and in this case it's not, so most people in my opinion use that as an excuse to hate on the book. Also most of the people who hate on the book also buy the book so in a way it is ironic.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I have to agree with you, if what you are saying is what I think it is; nu-Thor does appear to be mostly a plot device.

Like we've seen her going about her day kicking ass and having an amusing dialogue with herself (most of the time), but much of what she is doing is basically 'everyday' stuff of superheroics, while the real meat of the story is Odinson trying to figure out who she is, who he himself is now and why he is suddenly unworthy.

It's kinda spoiling 'whoeversheis's' chances of staying around for longer than the story demands aka untill Odinson regains worthyness and reclaims Mjolnir, because so far there is just not that much too her.

But here is an interesting thought: What if, when Odinson regains what he lost in worthyness, he basically goes: "Ye know? I hath tired of being measured by the worth of Mjolnir. I am Thor Odinson, I need no hammer to tell me of my worth." And then just leaves Mjolnir with Roz or whereever it's ended up by that time, since I expect at some point Odinson is going to realize he is defining himself purely through Mjolnir.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Asgaard
    @outside_85 said:

But here is an interesting thought: What if, when Odinson regains what he lost in worthyness, he basically goes: "Ye know? I hath tired of being measured by the worth of Mjolnir. I am Thor Odinson, I need no hammer to tell me of my worth." And then just leaves Mjolnir with Roz or whereever it's ended up by that time, since I expect at some point Odinson is going to realize he is defining himself purely through Mjolnir.

That would hurt even more the current plot credibility, because Aaron already told us the story of young Thor and he definitely was as heroic as you can be without the hammer...

@z3ro180: So Fem-Thor wasn't a pr stunt!? Ok it's your own opinion... But since you think that way, why the first announcement was on the View?

Acknowledging that i don't read issue 6, the present story foundations are very fragile, basically you don't have one credible answer to any of the instant plot devices, starting with the whisper going to Odin unworthy and his stupid behavior and finishing in why Mjolnir only works like a character (ridiculous) with her, a good story can't be all supported in the future plots, and her plot identity mystery is incredible weak and unnecessary and shouldn't be the center of the plot because it's not engaging and interesting, her characterization is laughable, like was said in the O.P. what is the point of a new Thor if the difference are only the boobs? Like you said this 8 issues will not build anything important, there were exclusively designed for the sales... If you still enjoy the current writing cool, i really don't...Is the Pr stunt an excuse to my claims!? No... the problem is that the current story like unworthy Thor, didn't had any seeds in TGOT, and Aaron in the first issues wasn't able to make the current story and the characters actions credible and believable and that is essential to any story...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Dude we arnt doing this again let it go

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

@z3ro180 said:

@asgaard: Dude we arnt doing this again let it go

Fair enough... I was just trying to explain why the Pr stunt isn't an excuse for my dislike on the current creative decisions like you claim... It's more about the execution... I had not intention to be unpleasant... First i respect that you like the current creative decisions and the execution...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I said most people I never said you specifically. Anyway like I said we arnt doing this again, so let's find another song to dance to.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: @outside_85: I remember a post someone on another forum say how they felt as though this was just another arc for Thor Odinson to go through until he's worthy again(which he is as of New Avengers 32 but whether he's alive is up to debate) so in Thor issue 7&8 we might get more development from Thor Odinson like in issue 6.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Yeah the name thing bothers me to I feel like if they wanted the name be both a name and a title they could've done better like have Original Thor be called Thor Odinson and new Thor,Thor the Thunderer or something like that. That way you can kind of see it as both a name and a title.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@asgaard said:

That would hurt even more the current plot credibility, because Aaron already told us the story of young Thor and he definitely was as heroic as you can be without the hammer...

That is rather the point, Thor has (from what I've read of Aaron's work) been on a nearly life-long quest to prove he was worthy to weild Mjolnir, it's practically become the one thing that defines his person. What I was suggesting is that Thor ends up realizing that there is nothing wrong with him, he's still the same guy, the same hero as he always was, Fury just somehow cut his ties with Mjolnir and it's beyond anyone's powers to fix that. Being robbed of Mjolnir however doesn't mean Thor has to retire or stop being who he is, it's just a question of him being able to accept it, move on and be happy again. (Think of the whisper as a cold turkey for a form of addiction.)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

We still get the original Thor in this series, unlike Superior Spider-Man who had Peter completely disappear. This I feel is an important distinction. I have my problems with this new direction, but the new Thor being female isn't one of them. I do believe the drawn out story line of who this new Thor is has been a problem. I suspect this was done to tie in with the new Secret Wars situation and so the focus has been somewhat on the original Thor, and how he's been dealing with this new turn of events. Same with the lack of information about the Careless Whisper. It makes no sense. I am hoping things will be better executed when these two issues clear up, although I do think the whisper won't be discovered or revealed until the original Thor becomes worthy again of the Mjolnir.

If Aaron says he has a plan, I believe him. GoT still resonates with me as a fantastic run so at the very least, I will continue to hope my faith isn't misplaced.

Also, the new Thor should have been Frejya. It really, really should have been her.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makentsu: @outside_85: Thor further developing beyond the need for Mjolnir is all fine and good and I don't have a problem with that at all and would be interested in reading and following that arc. Only thing is he's been cast aside to become a second stringer in "someone else's" book, and I wouldn't really call giving up on his birth name and obsessing over replacement Thor's identity qualifying as "development".

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Asgaard

@outside_85 said:
    @asgaard said:

That is rather the point, Thor has (from what I've read of Aaron's work) been on a nearly life-long quest to prove he was worthy to weild Mjolnir, it's practically become the one thing that defines his person. What I was suggesting is that Thor ends up realizing that there is nothing wrong with him, he's still the same guy, the same hero as he always was, Fury just somehow cut his ties with Mjolnir and it's beyond anyone's powers to fix that. Being robbed of Mjolnir however doesn't mean Thor has to retire or stop being who he is, it's just a question of him being able to accept it, move on and be happy again. (Think of the whisper as a cold turkey for a form of addiction.)

In my opinion that are plots for human characters, not Asgardian Aesir Gods... But you could be right Aaron's is clearly "humanizing" Odin in a negative way, and he definitely can run this path with all Asgard, since Roz or Jane are running the reverse path with Mjolnir the character making one of them behave like a Goddess that none is, i m curious to see if this creative decisions really were the best solution by the end of the current run...Or just a Pr stunt to sell a female version of Thor, Valkyrie or Sif Wielding Mjornir was more logic and natural and would be more well accepted by the fans of Thor and the plot was a lot more easy to build, even if Aaron merged Roxxon and Malekith plots to fit Roz (still could be Jane but i bet that Female Thor is Roz), and with Mjolnir working like a character to make her Asgardian, at some point there will be no more interest to see Roz wielding Mjolnir she has no rivalry with Loki, can't disappoint Odin, and even the new Angela as Asgardian plot was build with Loki and the original Thor...She is just a regular Human...

As far as i know Thor is worthy again in new Avengers issue 32, Spoilers and Measuring The State Of Thor's Current Worthiness... But probably he will disappear along with Cap and Iron Man in Secret Wars, don't believe none will die, they are the core of the Mcu Avengers (billions of dollars properties), sooner or later they all will have their triumphant come back, as for the bound between Thor and Mjolnir it's something incredible powerful after the 2007 Straczynski run (issue 602), that probably Aaron will use to explain how the female Thor get the nordic look and the Asgardian speech and knowledge, the inconsistencies will be the other worthy characters after this Dr. Strange actions on the hammer, like Steve Rogers in Fear Itself and inverted Loki in Axis... (sorry for the long post just want analyze different angles of the current creative decisions)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can talk about the current story all day, but I'm curious as to who would be "worthy" to take on Thor after Aaron's run concludes? To me, it has to be someone who understands high-concept mythological heroism as well as kingdom politics and cosmic operas. A big part of what separates Thor and the Asgardians as well is their speech pattern. They've been MUCH too "modernized" as of late. No, they don't need to return to straight up Shakespearean English, but I want something much more proper and peppered in with a few thees, thous and 'twas. I also think we've had enough "humanizing" of the Asgardians since 2007. They've resided above Oklahoma, been destroyed a couple times, had their All-Father exile himself, their Prince die and return twice, etc. Enough portraying the House of Odin as a dysfunctional humanistic family. These people are space gods, not human beings.

Hickman seems to understand how Thor would speak but I'm leery of his lack of focus on character-driven stories. Then again, a solo title allows for much more in-depth examinations. Mark Waid or Peter David are logical choices because they are true superhero scribes and understand the character's history. Many fans like Al Ewing's work. Admittedly, I've never read any of his work so I can't offer an opinion but some fans who I've spoken with recommend him as an "old-school" writer.

I'd like to return to comics and read about Thor someday if the right creative team is handling him, but the current business model of comics, to me, is unsustainable for maintaining readership with constant relaunches, creative shuffles and crossover events derailing detached stories.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: Be awesome if Walt Simonson or JMS came back to write Thor.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makentsu said:

@haveatthee: Be awesome if Walt Simonson or JMS came back to write Thor.

I would pay 10 bucks an issue for another jms run. Not even joking

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By killraven4334
    @asgaard said:

@outside_85 said:
    @asgaard said:

In my opinion that are plots for human characters, not Asgardian Aesir Gods... But you could be right Aaron's is clearly "humanizing" Odin in a negative way, and he definitely can run this path with all Asgard, since Roz or Jane are running the reverse path with Mjolnir the character making one of them behave like a Goddess that none is, i m curious to see if this creative decisions really were the best solution by the end of the current run...Or just a Pr stunt to sell a female version of Thor, Valkyrie or Sif Wielding Mjornir was more logic and natural and would be more well accepted by the fans of Thor and the plot was a lot more easy to build, even if Aaron merged Roxxon and Malekith plots to fit Roz (still could be Jane but i bet that Female Thor is Roz), and with Mjolnir working like a character to make her Asgardian, at some point there will be no more interest to see Roz wielding Mjolnir she has no rivalry with Loki, can't disappoint Odin, and even the new Angela as Asgardian plot was build with Loki and the original Thor...She is just a regular Human...

As far as i know Thor is worthy again in new Avengers issue 32, Spoilers and Measuring The State Of Thor's Current Worthiness... But probably he will disappear along with Cap and Iron Man in Secret Wars, don't believe none will die, they are the core of the Mcu Avengers (billions of dollars properties), sooner or later they all will have their triumphant come back, as for the bound between Thor and Mjolnir it's something incredible powerful after the 2007 Straczynski run (issue 602), that probably Aaron will use to explain how the female Thor get the nordic look and the Asgardian speech and knowledge, the inconsistencies will be the other worthy characters after this Dr. Strange actions on the hammer, like Steve Rogers in Fear Itself and inverted Loki in Axis... (sorry for the long post just want analyze different angles of the current creative decisions)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The truth of the matter is Marvel wanted this publicity stunt pulled, they told the writers to make it happen regardless of how it is impossible due to the scans you provided. They also knew there would be no plausible reason why Thor would suddenly lose his worth to wield the hammer that is powered by and tied to his very lifeforce. So they decided to create a universe level retconning event and then not even tell us what was said to make him unworthy, obviously in A.) the hopes that by the time they finished doing their publicity stunt the public would be so grateful for thor to be worthy again that we forget about the reason why he lost the hammer or B) They buy enough time to come up with something that fury could have whispered that was not completely retarded and hope the fans accept it. There is however, no doubt in my mind that at the time of the whisper nobody at marvel, none of the writers had any real idea of what was said to make him unworthy, there isn't even any mention of the whisper after, if they had an idea of why you would think the next Thor arc would have been dedicated to him uncovering the truth, but nope, marvel decided its just were going to dump the biggest steamiest load of troll crap on fans and hope that we eat it up and say thank you. I can proudly say I have not paid for a marvel title since Thor lost his worth, and I will not financially assist a company who cares more about what the view thinks than comic fans.

(honestly just quoted you for the scans, so my reply is more general to this thread)

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334:

If JMS was given an excellent artist and free reign to craft a story that he wants, that would be interesting. Let's say he was given 50 issues to tell a self-contained, character-driven story. Then again, I think I'd still prefer Mark Waid or even Dan Jurgens to return.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS given a 50 issue run and Marvel NOT derail it within the first year with some asinine crossover event? Wishful thinking at best.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical:

That generalizes for ever major solo title. No one is safe from the inevitable derailing crossover.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just that JMS left his run when Marvel foisted Siege on him, most other writers seem willing to tow the line when it comes to such things.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical:

Most writers come from that "new" school of thought (the Bendis style). Tear everything down and strip everything away to its barest elements. It's the easiest way to tell a story because you don't have to worry about established continuity if you tear it all down and start from scratch.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TonyChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst thing about this wenchthor thing is it's written by the same guy who wrote God Of Thunder.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only problem for me is that they should have given her a new name at least to help with the female diversity. Other than that its an alright change.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Makentsu

@ms-lola: It's not aaron I don't trust I've seen his TGOT run and it was great it's marvel I don't trust in,after all they were the ones who promoted fem-Thor on the view(instead of you know comic-con) w/o aaron knowing and are one of the main reasons people think this is a pr stunt. I also fear that they'll focus on putting her in everything and push in our face how awesome she is and how much we should like her over the original and if we don't there's something wrong with us(the typical make fun of fans who don't agree with you attitude marvel has nowadays) without them or aaron showing showing us anything interesting about her.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@makentsu said:

@ms-lola: It's not aaron I don't trust I've seen his TGOT run and it was great it's marvel I don't trust in,after all they were the ones who promoted fem-Thor on the view(instead of you know comic-con) w/o aaron knowing and are one of the main reasons people think this is a pr stunt. I also fear that they'll focus on putting her in everything and push in our face how awesome she is and how much we should like her over the original and if we don't there's something wrong with us(the typical make fun of fans who don't agree with you attitude marvel has nowadays) without them or aaron showing showing us anything interesting about her.

There hasn't been anything worthwhile yet to have fans develop an affection for this new character. Everything shown has been in reaction to other characters being introduced to her. Unless the great reveal proves to be an awesome one and the story Aaron tells begins to focus more on who this new Thor is, I don't see how a real fan following can occur for her. To me, I'm more invested in what's happening around her, if that makes any sense?

PR stunt or not, everything is about generating sales and just like other gimmicks (renumbering a title back to zero, etc), this situation will be temporary and Thor will receive his hammer back. It just seems that it will be a while yet with this whole Secret Wars thing about to be unleashed on us.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron's command of Asgardian speech pattern has fallen by the wayside. They seem no different to me than any other characters in Marvel. It's a shame that the books that are selling feature characters who are hardly indistinguishable from one another. Everyone sounds the same these days, with wannabe sarcastic one-liners and poor attempts at dry humor.

"Oh! But they're FUNNNN!!!" is what I hear from a lot of online fans. Ugh.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: And it was dropped fairly abruptly, once people started discussing how replacement Thor talked "Asgardian" but thought "human"... too late dude, no point trying to cover your tracks at that point.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical:

Most writers come from that "new" school of thought (the Bendis style). Tear everything down and strip everything away to its barest elements. It's the easiest way to tell a story because you don't have to worry about established continuity if you tear it all down and start from scratch.

Totally agreed on this point, you hit the nail on the head.

No Caption Provided

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Another Rant about something that isn't broken.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People struggle to distinguish "sales" from "artistic merit." As trivial as they are, shock value and controversy sell because people eat it up. Like idiotic rubberneckers on the road slowing down for no reason (and halting traffic) to see why the officer pulled someone over, or if there was a fender-bender.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People struggle to distinguish "sales" from "artistic merit." As trivial as they are, shock value and controversy sell because people eat it up. Like idiotic rubberneckers on the road slowing down for no reason (and halting traffic) to see why the officer pulled someone over, or if there was a fender-bender.

Man, that's definitely one thing that annoys me to no end, and a fairly apt comparison.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew they phoned it in when Odin couldn't lift the hammer

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all gets back to character and not just anybody can be Thor or Spiderman or any of them. It gets back to with great power comes responsibility and the idea that Iron Man is not his armor but the person capable of making the armor and more.

Thor is not his hammer be it a hammer that is far more then it looks like or just a mystical weapon made for Thor to do impossible things. He is a character steeped in lore dipped in history and has so much more to offer that has yet to be even scratched upon. Sentient hammer and spirit that walks and talks and is capable for some reason to convey a message to the world? Whom is to say it is not my story. Captain America would say " I am not the shield , not the uniform but a soul whom was born weak and learned to use the true strength God granted him. A great will to live and do great things"

No character is worth anything if somebody else can just pick up the costume and put it on and nobody notice.

generic hero for sale will make more if you like this one. Thor is not some costume or a hammer or the like. He is Thor even if you call him by another name even if you were to forget him all together. Thor would still know his history his past his walk through the universe. Changing the character does not make a comic worth reading but putting the character in a situation that makes you say that you would like to see what that character would do if they lived in that time , walked through that story or came face to face with that problem. Changing the character is bad , changing the story and how or whom they walk with is awesome. As always food for thought. Nothing wrong with Mjolnir becoming self aware that's just story and plot. A walk down the hallways of deeper thought begs debate.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Character assassination" is a phrase that has become quite commonplace in the last decade at Marvel, unfortunately.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing that's really been bugging me throughout this whole thing is even if "there should always be a Thor", is there any reason, other than generating sales, that who it is just has to be a secret? It really doesn't make much sense, as though hiding your identity is somehow supposed to make Thor less upset, or minimize the chances he'd confront you over the issue? Yeah, we already see how that worked out. And now after he's confronted you, fought to a draw until interrupted by frost giants, then accepted the standing situation and even bestowed his freakin' name on you, it's still so absolutely imperative it not be known? The initial ridiculousness is simply compounded by continuing to drag it on for so long. Sure, one could argue that if it's Roz or Jane it's necessary because Mangog might target their friends and family after looking them up on Faceboot (I call it "Faceboot" after an overly paranoid friend of mine went on about how she wasn't going to "boot" her face), but is that even a thing anymore, I thought that angle had already been done to death? But anyway the problem is hiding her identity from Thor... like he wouldn't have accepted it from the very beginning if it was someone he knew because that's the kind of guy he is, dammit! No, it was just about creating conflict, drama and controversy and nothing else. If it were Roz or Jane they're his friends and he'd be happy to see them worthy, and if we didn't suddenly have mjolnir becoming a parasitic entity of its own and imparting all it's wisdom and knowledge into its host then Thor would be necessary to teach and train her... but we can't have that, because then it just perpetuates the stereotype that women need men for anything at all... nope, she needs to be fully formed, strong and independent of any man from the start. Which would be understandable were she Asgardian, but then she wouldn't feel the need to cower, out of fear of what?, behind a mask, now would she?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical: There are so many execution problems that i forgot this one, why does she need to hide her identity? (besides sales of course) You nailed it in this topic post, and the one where you mentioned how convenient was the character Mjolnir to sell the current creative decisions...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roz would maybe want to hide the fact that she's been moonlighting as a faux Asgardian thunder goddess from her employer, I'd think SHIELD might have a policy against their agents doing such things with probably having to be on call to protect the world from all manner of threats. And I'm pretty sure Jane would want to hide her face for awhile to avoid being called out as a hypocrite.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people really care anymore? Because I never bought the issues I gradually just didn't care. Runs don't last forever and eventually Aaron's will conclude (probably with Thor being Thor).

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Makentsu

@ms-lola: @winter_kills: @asgaard: @antithetical: Just read the new issue online it pretty much all but confirmed that it's Roz no doubts now,I mean really why Roz?Why her and not someone who has more history or a better connection with Thor like Frejya ,Sif,Angela,or heck Valkyrie anyone of these ladies would've worked as a the new Thor, oh but wait what am i saying?that would've ruined the purpose of her hiding her "secret"identity and having this complex mystery with all it's twist and turns(sarcasm). I mean really how are they going to explain the whole reason she hid her identity?, in the end though we should have seen this coming Roz is the only one with a legit reason to probably hide her Identity being apart of Shield and all.

In all honesty though the series is a big letdown regardless of sales and reviews compared to better runs of Thor this doesn't hold a candle and it's a shame to because this seemed interesting and could've worked if done better. I think the biggest flaw was in the fact that the everybody was written so out-of-character to make fem-Thor look better and interesting by comparison. A way it could've been done better is if Thor became a mentor to fem-Thor and taught her to use mjolnir properly and also fight alongside her like a Dynamic Thunder Duo or something. That's just me though what do you guys think?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HaveAtThee

@makentsu: Instead of using a male's name and identity to showcase a new character you can't even reveal until the eighth issue, they had a newly introduced female into the Asgardian pantheon (Angela/Aldrif) that could've wielded Mjolnir. Thor losing the ability to use Mjolnir should've been a story built up for more than a few issues. This should've taken roughly two years to slowly devolve his character and really shake things up.

Besides, turning Thor into a "legacy" or merely a title cheapens the character and unnecessarily bloats the brand name. Thor is Thor. Marvel's obsession with "anyone can be ______" ruins the unique qualities of these characters. Not anyone can be as good an Iron Man as Tony, or as good a Captain America as Steve, because Tony and Steve define their alter-egos. Same with Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, etc. Yet instead of developing new characters with their own identities Marvel has incessantly tried to shoehorn new characters into previously-established identities. It's the same reason why Dick Grayson as Batman didn't really work, but Dick Grayson growing up and growing out of the Robin role into Nightwing was fantastic. The latter was a natural evolution of the character.

You not only cheapen the titular character when giving their name to a new character (or someone else), but you weaken the new character wielding said identity because you're telling the readership that the new character cannot stand on their own and we're not going to bother trying. I think they did a disservice to Sam Wilson by making him Captain America. Why not give him a push as Falcon, an alter-ego that Sam Wilson IS and HAS BEEN.

When you think Thor, you don't think of Roger Norvell or Eric Masterson. You think of Thor Odinson.

When you think of Captain America, you don't think of Bucky Barnes or Sam Wilson. You think of Steve Rogers.

When you think of Iron Man, you don't think of James Rhodes. You think of Tony Stark.

These men define their roles and identities because they are unique and therefore own their identities and give them depth and scope. No one is going to remember the brief moments when Tony, Thor or Steve weren't in the limelight using their associated names (in this case Thor's ACTUAL NAME). Continue the evolution of their character and bring up some characters to stand next to them so they're able to receive some spotlight (like a Sam Wilson or a James Rhodes or a Angela/Aldrif). Let the lesser established characters grow and gain prestige alongside the A-listers.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By antithetical

@makentsu: Well unless Aaron pulls a surprise switch at the end of issue 8 everyone had already figured out its Roz a few months ago. And if it does turn out to be someone else I really don't care, though I'm going to be pretty annoyed by a Roz reveal regardless. I had mentioned the idea of classic Thor helping replacement Thor learn the ropes, because having her just pick up mjolnir and be suddenly just as skilled and knowledgeable as Thor himself is simply ridiculous, but can't have her subservient in any way ti some stupid man because that doesn't support the overt feminist message Marvel is bludgeoning us with now would it?

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Winter_Kills

@makentsu: Instead of using a male's name and identity to showcase a new character you can't even reveal until the eighth issue, they had a newly introduced female into the Asgardian pantheon (Angela/Aldrif) that could've wielded Mjolnir. Thor losing the ability to use Mjolnir should've been a story built up for more than a few issues. This should've taken roughly two years to slowly devolve his character and really shake things up.

Besides, turning Thor into a "legacy" or merely a title cheapens the character and unnecessarily bloats the brand name. Thor is Thor. Marvel's obsession with "anyone can be ______" ruins the unique qualities of these characters. Not anyone can be as good an Iron Man as Tony, or as good a Captain America as Steve, because Tony and Steve define their alter-egos. Same with Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, etc. Yet instead of developing new characters with their own identities Marvel has incessantly tried to shoehorn new characters into previously-established identities. It's the same reason why Dick Grayson as Batman didn't really work, but Dick Grayson growing up and growing out of the Robin role into Nightwing was fantastic. The latter was a natural evolution of the character.

You not only cheapen the titular character when giving their name to a new character (or someone else), but you weaken the new character wielding said identity because you're telling the readership that the new character cannot stand on their own and we're not going to bother trying. I think they did a disservice to Sam Wilson by making him Captain America. Why not give him a push as Falcon, an alter-ego that Sam Wilson IS and HAS BEEN.

When you think Thor, you don't think of Roger Norvell or Eric Masterson. You think of Thor Odinson.

When you think of Captain America, you don't think of Bucky Barnes or Sam Wilson. You think of Steve Rogers.

When you think of Iron Man, you don't think of James Rhodes. You think of Tony Stark.

These men define their roles and identities because they are unique and therefore own their identities and give them depth and scope. No one is going to remember the brief moments when Tony, Thor or Steve weren't in the limelight using their associated names (in this case Thor's ACTUAL NAME). Continue the evolution of their character and bring up some characters to stand next to them so they're able to receive some spotlight (like a Sam Wilson or a James Rhodes or a Angela/Aldrif). Let the lesser established characters grow and gain prestige alongside the A-listers.

No Caption Provided

150%!!

@makentsu said:

@ms-lola: @winter_kills: @asgaard: @antithetical: Just read the new issue online it pretty much all but confirmed that it's Roz no doubts now,I mean really why Roz?Why her and not someone who has more history or a better connection with Thor like Frejya ,Sif,Angela,or heck Valkyrie anyone of these ladies would've worked as a the new Thor, oh but wait what am i saying?that would've ruined the purpose of her hiding her "secret"identity and having this complex mystery with all it's twist and turns(sarcasm). I mean really how are they going to explain the whole reason she hid her identity?, in the end though we should have seen this coming Roz is the only one with a legit reason to probably hide her Identity being apart of Shield and all.

In all honesty though the series is a big letdown regardless of sales and reviews compared to better runs of Thor this doesn't hold a candle and it's a shame to because this seemed interesting and could've worked if done better. I think the biggest flaw was in the fact that the everybody was written so out-of-character to make fem-Thor look better and interesting by comparison. A way it could've been done better is if Thor became a mentor to fem-Thor and taught her to use mjolnir properly and also fight alongside her like a Dynamic Thunder Duo or something. That's just me though what do you guys think?

I think I could have dealt with this better if it was handled with a mentor/protégé sort of relationship, with Thor(the real deal) & the new hammer-wielder*cough Roz cough*, maybe something like the Clint Barton/Kate Bishop relationship in Hawkeye. Had Thor teach her(instead of "sentient" Mjolnir, insert eye-roll here)how to use the hammer properly, to be a warrior, the ways of Asgard & what it means to be worthy- & all along making the journey himself to become "worthy" once again. That way he wouldn't be second-tier in a book that has HIS name on it. At least it would show some creativity, & respect for the character regardless of editorial decision, but that would have to be a show of creativity, which IMO this book is currently lacking, & IMO this has been Aaron & Marvel editorial's entire approach to the subject:

No Caption Provided

This whole thing was more of a concept that a story- it's one thing to have a concept that you think is different & exciting, but it has to have a story behind it & work with the story so far, with pre-eisting continuity & characters, or it comes along as forced & awkward as this series has. Trying to alter pre-established characters with legendary status like Thor into what Aaron/Marvel want it to be, instead of how the characters have always meant to be & are perceived by the fans & the public at large, is like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. That's what I feel like they're doing with this series. All concept, no real story behind it & poor execution as a result, IMO. But, as @haveatthee said above, these runs won't last forever, eventually Aaron will move on from Thor, & the true, iconic version of the character, i.e. the REAL Thor, will be restored.

@asgaard said:

@antithetical: There are so many execution problems that i forgot this one, why does she need to hide her identity? (besides sales of course) You nailed it in this topic post, and the one where you mentioned how convenient was the character Mjolnir to sell the current creative decisions...

I wondered the same thing for awhile brother, & I did with Eric Masterson too...why do they need to wear masked helmets when Mjolnir's magic alters their appearance anyway? But, @antithetical offers a pretty plausible explanation- more plausible than the explanations Aaron & co have given us so far.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming post-Secret Wars and into 2016 this whole thing will go away and be forgotten, and Aaron will restore Thor to his glory in time for the buildup to "Ragnarok." And said female character will just be reduced to a minor supporting character at best, only for certain readers to say "Hey! Remember when so-and-so was Thor for a whilezzz!!"

The story should've been "Wow, remember when what's-her-name gained control over Mjolnir and how cool a character she became?" Thor would've still remained, y'know...THOR. And now you've elevated a female character to that status (let's say Angela) as someone who is not only powerful but battle-tested and truly worthy. Now her character can stand proudly on her own without needing to be associated with a male name/identity.

But I guess these days what I'm espousing counts as "misogyny."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.