Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Movie Thor's Picture Officially Unveiled!

• 133 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

He's looking for his hammer.
     He's looking for his hammer.

Can you guess whose picture that is to the right? He might not have a winged helmet, he might not have a giant war hammer but…. ah c’mon, you know it’s Thor! Marvel released its first promo picture of the Chris Hemsworth as the thunder god to Yahoo Movies and, as I’ve been saying all along, the costume’s more or less the same as the recent Olivier Coipel redesign (the one with the chainmail sleeves). Since Marvel’s been getting more organized about branding their multi-media endeavors, you can always find clues of how the Marvel movies will shape up in recent developments in the comics. I don’t think it’s an accident that Iron Man ended up looking like the Adi Granov re-design that debuted a year or two before the first movie's release. Similarly, anybody who wants a preview of what Captain America will look like in his movie ought to peruseat the slight redesign Bryan Hitch did for the recent CAPTAIN AMERICA: REBORN mini-series. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that Chris Evans will be sporting a helmeted cowl with wings stencil-painted on its sides.

THOR won’t be in theaters for another year (almost exactly another year, as its release date is still May 7 2011), so this is but the first of what will be 365 days of official preview photos, posters, trailers and tie-ins like those Iron Man’s currently doing with Reeses and 7/11. I’ve joked that Captain America should endorse some protein shakes (call it the special “super soldier serum” flavor), and, now, looking at this… I’d say Thor ought to court a deal with Gillette.

Anyway, the real question is what you, the mightily-bearded Comic Vine community, think of this image? Does it live up to all your Nordic fantasies? Or is it making you wish for Ragnarok?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By DH69

ugh this really is a slow day isnt it

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#2  Edited By lostlantern13

The trailer's gonna need to be awesome because that image just isn't that impressive. It looks like plastic and that's not fantastic.

Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bathory1313

Damn it I was coming here to post that exact same thing!

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

oh wow... that really wasn't photoshoped......

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Caligula

like 90 threads have been made about this already :(

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm loving how everybody is so positive about this *sarcasm*

As for me I think it's great!
    This is proof that the movie is moving along!
    I'm Excited!

ManuelPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ManuelPrez
    @Caligula: its friday they are taking the day (maybe) slow
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Caligula: Keep in mind this was posted on the NEWS page. We do have people that mainly stay on the news page and not the forums.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Caligula
    @sora_thekey said:
    " I'm loving how everybody is so positive about this *sarcasm*  As for me I think it's great! This is proof that the movie is moving along! I'm Excited! "
    it looks goofy and fake looking he looks plastic, and the threads this morning have been bombarded with this image, and it's kind of starting to to make me less amped for the Thor movie. I mean this picture is becoming an Eyesore.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Hmm....
    Is it possible it's a little too close to the comic?#
    Hear me out. 
    Different thing work in different mediums. Live action comes across differently than a picture in a comic. Is Thor gonna come across well on screen if he looks too close to his comic book incarantion? Should have looked a little more....viking?
    The armour on the arm looks odd too. Sort of plastic.
    There's been a lot of talk about how Evans need to bulk up. Shouldn't Hemsworth be a little beefier to platy thor too?

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Caligula
    @G-Man said:
    " @Caligula: Keep in mind this was posted on the NEWS page. We do have people that mainly stay on the news page and not the forums. "
    oh i know this one's news, im just expressing the fact that i have seen the image so much it's starting to burn. and I prefer these offical articles as to the average user ones. it's just the seeing the image so much this morning is making it lose effect.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DH69

those arms remind me of the lining in heated pizza bags.

mightiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By mightiness

Not bad.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Caligula
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Hmm.... Is it possible it's a little too close to the comic?# Hear me out.  Different thing work in different mediums. Live action comes across differently than a picture in a comic. Is Thor gonna come across well on screen if he looks too close to his comic book incarantion? Should have looked a little more....viking? The armour on the arm looks odd too. Sort of plastic. There's been a lot of talk about how Evans need to bulk up. Shouldn't Hemsworth be a little beefier to platy thor too? "
    this is what im talking about. these are the same points i have, this classic costume isn't the best direction for the film to take IMO. I agree he should look more like the real vikings
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kid_Zombie

man i think this look fantastic! i cant wait to see this in film and in action! F**k this pic is sweet!

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Lady Tlieso
    @sora_thekey said:
    " I'm loving how everybody is so positive about this *sarcasm*  As for me I think it's great! This is proof that the movie is moving along! I'm Excited! "

My thoughts exactly. The movie is no where close to being finished & people are already picking it apart.  I don't think it looks that bad.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@G-Man said:
    " @Caligula: Keep in mind this was posted on the NEWS page. We do have people that mainly stay on the news page and not the forums. "
    and besides this movie one of the biggest news items this year!!! let us have a zillion threads on it!!! 
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By EdwardWindsor

iam just hoping they add some cgi gloss to the armour then will be fine

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By goldenkey

No way is Cap gonna have wing painted on his mask.  Remember the wings painted on his helmet during the 70's.  Just lame.  Doesn't work.  I think he's gonna have the more soldier look of the ultimates version.  No wings, combat boots instead of the pirate boots.  Alltho Dell Otto had and ok version of painted wings on his mask for Secret War.  I don't see it tho.  Im guessing the ultimate version.  It just works better.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Caligula
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @G-Man said:
    and besides this movie one of the biggest news items this year!!! let us have a zillion threads on it!!!  "
    lol the image it burns us.
    Murphiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Murphiroth

I love it, people need to be more open minded about it. It's the first we've seen of it. We have yet to see the full outfit, to see how it looks like on film, in motion or in battle. So why complain now? 

The beard is a very nice touch.

ManuelPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By ManuelPrez

I want to see the helmet, cuz the hammer looks damm good

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Caligula said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Hmm.... Is it possible it's a little too close to the comic?# Hear me out.  Different thing work in different mediums. Live action comes across differently than a picture in a comic. Is Thor gonna come across well on screen if he looks too close to his comic book incarantion? Should have looked a little more....viking? The armour on the arm looks odd too. Sort of plastic. There's been a lot of talk about how Evans need to bulk up. Shouldn't Hemsworth be a little beefier to platy thor too? "
    this is what im talking about. these are the same points i have, this classic costume isn't the best direction for the film to take IMO. I agree he should look more like the real vikings "
    Thanks Cal.
    If the viking guys is too bright coloured on screen it's gonna feel like power rangers.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @G-Man said:
    and besides this movie one of the biggest news items this year!!! let us have a zillion threads on it!!!  "
    lol the image it burns us. "
    lol the Thor fans are happy, its just not Batman ;)
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By KRYPTON

Looks Cool. I like his modern outfit, I guess they decided to go modern costume instead of classic

lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By lastdrag0n89

Lets not forget the first Ironman pics that hit the web made the suit also look plastic but it actually turned out well in the movies

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Lady Tlieso: Thank You!

" @G-Man said:

Yeah! Especially since (according to Marvel) there will be some teaser footage shown over at SDCC!
    Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I LOVE IT WITH A PASSION!!!!!!!
    But yeah it could be touched up with a computer during filming to make it look more real.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Caligula
    " @Caligula said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @G-Man said:
    lol the image it burns us. "
    lol the Thor fans are happy, its just not Batman ;) "
    but they changed Batman's costume for the Movies, because no way would the comic bat costumes look cool on screen. and I think the same applies here, Thor's Costume is coming off a bit out of place to the screen world to me. I mean is he really going to look cool in that thing stand next to Hulk and Iron Man, who both have awesome screen looks. (mabye caps costume will look even stranger and cartoonier than Thor's and he can play it safe and stand next to Steve)
    Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Archetype

Looks good...not real metal but I can see where that would have been a problem not to mention he does look a lot like Thor in the comics.Very excited about this movie and optimistic.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hellos

Wonder what kind of CGI effects they are going to slap onto Thor?  
    I is hoping for glowy circles of awsome! :P
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jotham

This almost makes me give a s*** about Thor.

Avatar image for billyclubsblazing
    billyclubsblazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks cool but he's supposed to be a god. I just always viewed Thor as a 7' 8" dude with arms as big as telephone poles. You know, like the comics. No offense to Chris Hemsworth but it doesn't look like he put much effort or time into the physical aspect of the part. I mean Chrsitian Bale put on more weight in Batman Begins.  

I really want to be excited about this but so far I'm just not. 

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Ryonslaught

That looks good :)
    Love that they're using his "new suit" x0

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome!!! 8D

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Caligula
    @Murdoch said:
    " It looks cool but he's supposed to be a god. I just always viewed Thor as a 7' 8" dude with arms as big as telephone poles. You know, like the comics. No offense to Chris Hemsworth but it doesn't look like he put much effort or time into the physical aspect of the part. I mean Chrsitian Bale put on more weight in Batman Begins.   I really want to be excited about this but so far I'm just not.  "
    American Psycho era Bale.
    No Caption Provided

Machinist Era Bale.
    No Caption Provided

DK era Bale.
    No Caption Provided
    he is very dedicated to his roles.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LB70145 said:
    " @Caligula: Some people who use this site don't spend all of their time looking through threads. The News section is for timely articles. This is a very timely news post. Journalism 101 man.  Posting this on the News page is also for those new to the site who wan to keep up with comics and comics related news. Don't throw a fit because the site is not completely contorting to your needs. This article is for the community as a whole and may not be necessarily to you. So if you really want to throw a fit about this fine. However, you don't have to comment let alone read the article. Frankly, it's your fault for over exposing yourself to this image. If you saw that this was the News article for the day, no one is putting a gun to your head to read it. Just ignore it if it bothers you that much. "
    wow chill... 
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By leokearon

By Odin's Brisling Bread!
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39  Edited By The_Martian

I love it! Looks like they are going to with a Modern Thor look.

Thor63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Thor63

"F" YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "F" Iron Man "F" HULK and "F" Chris Evans. This is the MOVIE To see.

Avatar image for billyclubsblazing
    billyclubsblazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula:  
    Ya Bale is amazing in my opinion. I own all of his movies minus like four. lol  
    I my thing is that I just wish Hemsworth could do the same. 
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Caligula
    @Murdoch said:
    " @Caligula:  Ya Bale is amazing in my opinion. I own all of his movies minus like four. lol  I my thing is that I just wish Hemsworth could do the same.  "
    agreed.
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kurrent

Looks good to me !!!!now if Evens wears the Ultimate Cap costume everything will be great

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The Hottness

THIS SUIT LOOK BADASS!

Thor63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Thor63
    @Kurrent: yes!
    Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

actually, on film, his helmet might look a little silly, but his hammer better be AWESOME!

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By G'bandit

Not the best picture..But I wont judge the whole movie just because of One image..

Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

If he shaves that beared of his face he looks perfect to men.
    Overguardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Overguardian
    capt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By capt.
    @lazystudent:
    i think your right about the gloss and don't for get silver surfer didn't have the gloss shine during production of fantastic four it got put in during post

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.