Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Me so confused: Thor/D.Blake

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _jackbauer

Hey, 

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around Thor's "origin".  As stated in G-Man's Three Minute Expert and Wikipedia's Thor page, Odin punished Thor by stripping his memories and placing him into the body of Donald Blake.  If that's true, does that mean Thor walking around on 616 Earth is just 'piloting' someone else's body?  What does Thor's body really look like? 

Is Donald Blake a bone-fide human being who existed before Thor's punishment?  If so, was his consciousness surpressed or something?  It seems highly cruel and unfair to Blake that his body was chosen to house Thor's memory wiped-conscious.  How many years of life did he lose while Thor was inhabiting his body?

What is the current state of affairs for 616 Thor?  Is Donald Blake still sharing his existence with Thor? 

Me so confused.

Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Comicfan47

I watched G Man's 3 minute expert last night and im confused as well, I was planning on making this same blog today but it turns out I dont need to now.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

It's pretty much the same principal as Billy Batson becoming Captain Marvel 

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By _jackbauer
    @joshmightbe: unfortunately, that doesn't entirely clear things up for me :( 

I guess out of all the questions posed in my original post, what I'd like to know most is: was Donald Blake created by Odin as a vessel for Thor, or was Donald Blake a real live human being with a birth and parents and all of that.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe
    @_jackbauer: I always figured that Donald and Thor were the same person, Odin does have reality warping powers so he could easily make others believe that they'd grownn up with Blake, went to school with him even make Thor wholeheartedly believe that while in the form of Blake he's a completely different person
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp
    @joshmightbe said:
    @_jackbauer: I always figured that Donald and Thor were the same person, Odin does have reality warping powers so he could easily make others believe that they'd grownn up with Blake, went to school with him even make Thor wholeheartedly believe that while in the form of Blake he's a completely different person
    Yup. That's my understanding of it too. 
    He is the same person, just different identities. The thing is, as a punsihment Odin made Thor forget he was Thor and think he was Donald Blake.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thor's hammmer

@_jackbauer
    Dr. Blake was created by Odin to serve as a body to humble Thor. Thor had no control over his body but still lived his life. Later when they seperated Dr.Blake disapeared into a space between realms. After ragnarok Thor's spirit enters the void. dr. Blake starts to live agian. Thor's hammer then crashes to earth. DR. Blake finds it and He and Thor become Merged once again. They are still merged, DR Blake takes a back seat to Thor's life when transformed. and Thor takes a back seat to Blake's life When as Blake.
    _jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _jackbauer
    @Thor's hammmer: thanks so much for that, you really spelled it out for me and I understand now. 

Cheers
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @_jackbauer

your welcome =)
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By z3ro180
    @Thor's hammmer: wait soo what happends at the end of the age of thunder cause i thought that was an in cannon origin storie for thor to show how he got put down to earth??
    04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 04nbod
    @_jackbauer

Thor is Donald Blake. He is the same person. He is Thor had he lived a human life. He doesn't have a real biography until Odin plops him down in medical school.  There is no Mama Blake or Papa Blake

JMS has confused the matter and currently they seem to be written as two different people in the ongoing while everything else shows them as the same. You have no idea how many people who came in with the JMS relaunch think Don is his own man. Its something Marvel needs to clarify and stamp out.
    Maikel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maikel

@04nbod: AFAIK He was banished and his soul was trapped in the body of the person who was born as D.B. He may have lived this full life until the moment his powers were restored and and attended medical school, etc. and grown up, before his powers were restored. For an immortal Asgardian 40 years would be like a week to us.

It also depends on the media; In the current movie Donald Blake is an exboyfriend of Jane Foster, and he simply copies the name and social security data in order to keep out of the hands of the authorities.

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 04nbod

@Maikel:

Maikel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maikel

@04nbod: I know the origin story form the 60's too... One thing is unclear and not put correctly, was thor "incarnated" as Donald and lived his life, developing this personality and had his memory restored by Odin from his true origin, or was Donald an existing person(mildmannered, crippled) who Odin chose to merge with Thor. (in fact the 80's movie(that should have been a pilot for a Thor TV-series) follows the origin story much closer(trapped in a cave, finding the cane/hammer), be it that the script was rewritten(originally in that script Blake would swap places with Thor, the other persona existing as a ghost, similar to the current Cartoon Hulk, but this idea was abandoned because it could not be filmed right).

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 04nbod

I think that explains it though. All the memories of Donald's life were inplanted memories and not real. Donald is Thor who doesn't know he's Thor until he goes to Norway. Those 4 pages make it so simple.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slimj87d

@04nbod: Thanks, those are awesome scans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.