Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Marvel Now!: Thor God of Thunder

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGodofThunder

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40310

What do you guys think?

first off, I'm very glad they went back to the classic font rather than the thor movie-esque one. I'm not sure How this is going to be though. Kind of sounds like Desak again, plus not sure about aaron handling thor well and bringing him back to where he should be in the marvel u. I really hope to see a more brutal, warrior like thor. This aspect of him seems to have been forgotten.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TheGoldenOne

Kind of sounds like Desak again

QFT
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGodofThunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@TheAcidSkull: It worries me too, but i'm having a hard time containing my excitement. The prospect of a good thor book is too much. I'm really not that familiar with his work.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @TheGodofThunder: Thanks for the link. Just hoping this is better than Fraction's run.
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@TheGoldenOne: No Prob. I don't see how it could be much worse *knock on wood*

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @TheGodofThunder: lol, Nether do I.
    Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#11  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

If Marvel didn't do siege we might have had a lot longer run from Straczynski

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@johnkmccubbin91: if only. that was a masterpiece. At least sentry is gone now. Gotta find the silver lining.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@TheGodofThunder: Good point, I didn't mind Sentry but the way he was anoyed the crap out of me

@TheAcidSkull: If you are talking Wolverine & X-Men it's been gradually getting worse and worse if you ask me it started good but I thought he'd do a better job after doing Wolverine but I'm getting rid of it after AvX

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@johnkmccubbin91: Yeah, you could tell bendis made him too crazy powerful and had no way to stop him. I guess it's a nice gesture that they thought, "who can kill this super powerful crazy dude, oh thor can."

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator

I was weary at first and still am weary. I really like Jason Aaron's writing for the most part. I like his independent work, and I am really enjoying Wolverine and the X-Men for the most part. Some Wolverine and Schism stuff though and Hulk... eh. Now getting to actually hear more details of the story and I was actually put off a bit more than enticed. I prefer Thor in the modern day setting, as a humble and experienced authority in Asgard with a fierce heart and mind and a respected and admired superhero with a warriors heart, skill and patience. At least thats what I prefer with the main Thor title. We have had good past Thor stories and good future Thor stories and we have lots of one shots of young berserker brash warrior Thor stories and one shots and I wish we could get some more of them in one shots or mini series. Gorr the God Butcher sounds similar to Desak the God Slayer on the surface, and Desak is one of those characters that is only credible because he beats up Thor (and random new one off characters that never get used again) initially really badly only for Thor to end up defeating him later on. Also in a story line where we got an old king Thor in Asgard where bad things happened. Then time travel back to the present to never really actually impact on the character's outlook or characterization. Now if its a good story, ultimately I won't care if it doesn't affect the characters future, or the slate gets wiped clean after it, but I would be so much more excited about Thor in the present with the conclusion of the story in the present.  

Without comparing writers and only approaches, I believe the reason that JMS's Thor was such a success was because it gave us a Thor that was confident in power and authority, it was set in the present, it was fantasy, but fantasy set in a real world with a modern edge and with a real humility. Thor didn't fight often, but when he did it was awe inspiring. He didn't have to lose first to create a sense of urgency or drama. Thor was relevant and he was aware. Why is this God Butcher plaguing Thor? Who the hell plagues Thor? lol  

My initial fears aside, after reading Aaron's post at CBR and reading his Newsarama interview, and reading that he is aware of similarities between Gorr and Desak and that they will be very different, and that he has read a lot of other Thor stories by other Thor writers (he is trying to read them all) and hearing what he does have planned for modern Thor, I am feeling a lot more positive and hopeful about all this. So fingers crossed. Still bothered by the new look though. Coipel design was extraordinary and should have as long a history if not longer than the Kirby design.                     

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@TheGodofThunder: tis true plus it was Siege it would be unjustly if Thor didn't do it

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@SC: Very well said. The reason I want a more brutal thor, (though that may not be the best word) is because lately it seems like he is just weak and pathetic. his blows just aren't as hard hitting these days because of the poor quality of stories. He no longer seems like the warrior born that he is. You nailed exactly what made JMS thor great. I want that back.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Lvenger

Whilst I am interested in what Aaron said he had planned in the issue, particularly this adventure spanning from the Viking past to the far reaches of space and a dystopian future and in this new villain Gorr the God Butcher, I can't help but notice the parallels in Aaron's proposal for a past adventure clashing with Thor: Age of Thunder as well as future Thor's adventures ringing the same bell as King Thor. And given how Aaron mucked up his Hulk run, I'm skeptical as to how Thor will fare. However, his initial pitch seems far superior than anything Fraction came up with so that's fine by me.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @TheGodofThunder said:

@SC: Very well said. The reason I want a more brutal thor, (though that may not be the best word) is because lately it seems like he is just weak and pathetic. his blows just aren't as hard hitting these days because of the poor quality of stories. He no longer seems like the warrior born that he is. You nailed exactly what made JMS thor great. I want that back.

Thank you. I think we pretty much want the same thing even if our wording differs. Like I love when Thor gets brutal, but when he does get brutal I want whoever he is fighting to get really hurt. Even if he is just being a bit more serious than usual, like when he was with Iron Man under JMS? Iron Man's armor got wrecked, Thor casually broke bits and pieces of it off, and that was an modern armor Iron Man and I still got the feeling that Thor was holding back. My constant concern is that writers will write a more brutal but ineffective Thor. Like Fraction writes a Thor that is a bit more cocky and confident, even a bit sarcastic, but if his actions don't follow his attitude it just makes Thor look even worse. Thats typically why I prefer Thor to be a bit more refined and stoic, because one of the most dangerous things about Thor, I think, is that there should be that not many characters should release how dangerous he is when he isn't holding back, or being careful, or trying not to hurt, even the bad guys too badly. I mean the reader should know this too of course, and this is where things can and often gets blurry.  

I think JMS gave Thor a warriors discipline. Too many writers I think, believe Thor the warrior, must mean Thor being loud and always wanting to fight, when really Thor the warrior should mean when Thor does fight, he fights well. Which is a big difference. The best martial artists aren't out there fighting in random street fights everyday (unless its the movies) its really more about refining ability and attitude and having patience and skill. Anyway rough analogy. I want that back too!     
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

I would like too see Thor back to fighting frost giants and things like this as we have not seen this in a while and I want too see more fighting and more of old Thor as recently they have been doing different type thor although I haven't read last story waiting for it to come

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@SC: holy cow, I think you should write thor, lol. You understand him so well and are able to put it into words. We also have to hope that hickman will do him justice as well in avengers.

@johnkmccubbin91: Yeah, more frost giants would be a nice change. seems like thor has traveled so far away from his character and roots in fractions run that he isnt that same god we know and love.

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaRed86

Marvel, you've let me down before. I'm sure you'll let me down again. But I'll check it out.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By z3ro180

The hell marvel what happend to the this one (picture below). This ones awesome stop makeing stupid looking costumes with the one below you took a step forward towards awesome and now it more like 200 steps towards the villege people what the hell.

No Caption Provided
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Seems interesting. i'll pick it up. First thing i seen about Marvel Now that I find interesting.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By PowerHerc

@TheGoldenOne said:

Kind of sounds like Desak again

QFT

I agree.

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@Z3RO180: I think I actually prefer the one on the cover. The quesada one has so much wrong to it. Thor needs a cape. He is royalty and the cape shows that. he looks like a street leveler with out it. the swords could be cool, but it just seems to give him a medieval deadpool vibe. Lastly, and this is the problem with both costumes, the "t" rune. It's insanely cheesy. Plus, as another viner pointed out, the runic "t" is the symbol for tyr, not thor. They shouldv'e stuck with the rune for strength like in the coipel design. I do like the new belt design better overall though. The helmet is too roman-esque. I actually kind of like the bare arms. Makes it seem like he's saying, "I don't need any armor, I'm thor".

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Malevolent1

Eh, only time will tell. But I agree with some of the comments on these boards; Fraction just doesn't have a feel for Thor. There is another thread on these boards, comparing Thor and Hulk's strength, and whether or not it was the intent of the creator to make Thor stronger than Hulk. That is debatable. But Thor's relationship to Odin? I mean, since when did it become this abusive father son relationship that Fraction seemed to be painting? It's just irritating. To me, that is well out of character for the Thunder God.

And yeah, I miss Stracynski too. Oh, well. No use cryin over spilt milk.

I'll pick this issue up and keep my fingers crossed.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By z3ro180

@Malevolent1: iagree i didnt belevive the whole thing fraction was trying to make to me Thor and Odin relasonship should be kind of like a warrior father son relesonship like odin and thor will arguee on a number of thing and even fight but at the core theres a love and respect that all fathers have for there sons and vise versa.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By z3ro180

@TheGodofThunder: i kind of agree and diss agree with you. The costume on the covr has grown some what on me i just dount like the gloves and i like the one with the swords thow the swords do need to go. Also yes thor need a cape well he doesnt need one but come on a red capes always stylein

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@Z3RO180: Maybe the cover to thor #2 is more up your alley. It's young thor I believe. Definitely more viking-esque.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By DATNIGGA

@TheGodofThunder: yeah it does sound like Desak... i mean they could have just used desak

TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@DATNIGGA: Now that I've seen interiors and some dialogue and stuff, im really glad it isn't desak. Never liked him anyways.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By DATNIGGA

@TheGodofThunder: I started liking him when he held up against odin force thor that made him look awesome in my opinion I wanna see what gorr is capable of though

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By The_Thunderer

sounds pretty cool to me

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.