Marvel NOW making a Thor I like

Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes, I really like Thor. Not often, and usually not for very long, but there are times when I think he's a really cool character. Sometimes it's the concept I like, sometimes it's the powers (mainly the hammer), and sometimes it's the character himself. I liked Thor a lot when the Ultimates was first starting and in his miniseries in that universe, and I also liked him a bunch in his movie. There have been others, but those jump out at me as the biggest stretches of time that I liked the character. I think another one is coming on though, and this one might stick. I say it might stick because it's not just one version of him I'm liking. I seem to be liking him across the board and it's in the main universe of Marvel comics, so it's the main representation of him instead of movies and alternate realities like before. There are three main sources for this new-found appreciation. The biggest of the three is Jason Aaron's work in the ongoing. It's given me every excuse to like Thor. Even if the character(s?) itself wasn't interesting, and he is, the art is beautiful, the story is intriguing, and the storytelling itself is remarkable. But the character wasn't to be outdone by his comic. Thor felt real in ways I don't often feel he does. There's something about how he was presented that really felt like the idea of a norse god was finally coming off the page. I don't want to say he was relatable (not that he might not be to some people, it's just not quite the right word for me), but he was definitely understandable. When I was reading Thor I felt like I was finally "getting it", that the warrior god was more than a concept, but actually this guy I was reading about. He also felt real in that he was very down to Earth. Not like in the sense that he was like a human or in any way practical, but like a god came down to Earth. That was played differently at different times, sometimes he was a being of immense power, casually doing things well beyond what a normal person could, and other times it was more like a king choosing to sit with his people and not stand over them. I think it says something that some of my favorite scenes are Thor drinking or going to battle alongside the men that worship him. Also that the first two sets of images I'm posting include Thor and alcohol, and it's present in the story of the third set even though it's not posted.

Then there's how he's coming across in Hickman's Avengers. Though he was a background character in issue 4, he stood out and gave me the same feelings being generated over in his ongoing. Thor was a god, there was no mistaking that, but somehow he can come off as just a guy too. I almost want to call him Thor Swanson.

Then when I was catching up on Punisher War Zone, after hearing about it on iFanboy and thinking it would be something I might like (despite me not liking Punisher much) I got the same feeling from that representation of him too. This one first struck me with the power of the character. The art, while not beautiful in the way of Thor's ongoing, conveyed power in a way that was just perfect. Thor is always lit up and just exuding power (I know I keep saying "power" but that's just how it was coming across to me, the art was practically screaming that with every panel).

Throughout these 3 depictions Thor is presented as a god (I couldn't even bring myself to just write "character" there) who knows he's a god and who everyone else recognizes as one too. He's quite literally a force of nature and he never stops being larger than life. And at the same time he's the kind of god you'd want to drink with, party with, start a fight with (alongside him, obviously), and then after all that, chill out and hear stories from about his even wilder experiences. I can get behind this Thor.

#1 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I wasn't much of Thor fan before reading his latest ongoing either. Mostly because I hadn't read much with him.

I'm surprised at how well Marvel is doing when it comes to keeping the character consistent across several comics.

I hope they keep up the momentum and don't screw up the character somewhere down the line.

#2 Posted by judasnixon (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaron, Hickman, and Rucka you have three great writers who are at the top of their game writing Thor. There's no surprise that Thor has been so enjoyable lately.......

#3 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

loved Aaron run !

#4 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Buckshot: hit the nail on the head. Seeing Thor finish off a six-pack with Punisher, and Thor begging for death in GoT have been my 2 best, most defining moment for him so far.

#5 Posted by Sloucher (13 posts) - - Show Bio

i have always liked thor, but i agree Marvel Now has been good to him.

#6 Posted by SoA (4776 posts) - - Show Bio

not sure still in the avengers but i am liking god of thunder, great series .

#7 Edited by Teerack (5836 posts) - - Show Bio

I think The Mighty Thor was a billion times better then Thor God of Thunder

#8 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4527 posts) - - Show Bio

@Buckshot said:

Sometimes, I really like Thor. Not often, and usually not for very long, but there are times when I think he's a really cool character. Sometimes it's the concept I like, sometimes it's the powers (mainly the hammer), and sometimes it's the character himself. I liked Thor a lot when the Ultimates was first starting and in his miniseries in that universe, and I also liked him a bunch in his movie. There have been others, but those jump out at me as the biggest stretches of time that I liked the character. I think another one is coming on though, and this one might stick. I say it might stick because it's not just one version of him I'm liking. I seem to be liking him across the board and it's in the main universe of Marvel comics, so it's the main representation of him instead of movies and alternate realities like before. There are three main sources for this new-found appreciation. The biggest of the three is Jason Aaron's work in the ongoing. It's given me every excuse to like Thor. Even if the character(s?) itself wasn't interesting, and he is, the art is beautiful, the story is intriguing, and the storytelling itself is remarkable.

Then there's how he's coming across in Hickman's Avengers. Though he was a background character in issue 4, he stood out and gave me the same feelings being generated over in his ongoing. Thor was a god, there was no mistaking that, but somehow he can come off as just a guy too. I almost want to call him Thor Swanson.

Then when I was catching up on Punisher War Zone, after hearing about it on iFanboy and thinking it would be something I might like (despite me not liking Punisher much) I got the same feeling from that representation of him too. This one first struck me with the power of the character. The art, while not beautiful in the way of Thor's ongoing, conveyed power in a way that was just perfect. Thor is always lit up and just exuding power (I know I keep saying "power" but that's just how it was coming across to me, the art was practically screaming that with every panel).

Throughout these 3 depictions Thor is presented as a god (I couldn't even bring myself to just write "character" there) who knows he's a god and who everyone else recognizes as one too. He's quite literally a force of nature and he never stops being larger than life. And at the same time he's the kind of god you'd want to drink with, party with, start a fight with (alongside him, obviously), and then after all that, chill out and hear stories from about his even wilder experiences. I can get behind this Thor.

@Pyrogram:Nice,very nice,Thor is my favorite,and it's always a good feeling to see someone appreciate him just the same

#9 Posted by Pyrogram (36494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cavemold said:

loved Aaron run !

It's not over yet :P

#10 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, those scans are pretty cool.

Thor was all like. "Bye, I got sht to do." And then the aliens were like "We got ale." And then Thor was all "Ale? I got all the time in the world!"

Also, I lol'd at "It's like vodka, but for men."

#11 Posted by Z3RO180 (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires Thor never begged for death in GoT Gorr said by the time he's done with Thor he will have him begging for death

#12 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been a Thor fan for a long time, and I agree it's been really great for him in comics lately. God of Thunder is awesome, love to see different times in Thor's life.

"Surtur's sweaty orbs, it's hot." haha what.

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@Manbehindthewires Thor never begged for death in GoT Gorr said by the time he's done with Thor he will have him begging for death

Uhhh

#14 Posted by Pyrogram (36494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Buckshot said:

@Z3RO180 said:

Uhhh

beautiful scene!

#15 Posted by New_World_Order (13035 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sloucher said:

i have always liked thor, but i agree Marvel Now has been good to him.

#16 Posted by Oscars94 (2475 posts) - - Show Bio

EPIC!

#17 Posted by Z3RO180 (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Buckshot We'll played sir...well played (Insert correct meme here)

#18 Posted by Lvenger (19303 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice blog about my second favourite Marvel character. After Fraction's appalling run, Aaron, Rucka and Hickman have managed to redeem Thor in a truly great way, making him a character I want to read about. Excellent blog!

#19 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate the artwork and Thor's costume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.