Major THOR fans only

#1 Edited by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

What is your opinion on THOR story/supporting characters inconsistencies?

What I mean is that often whether it is the comic, movie, cartoon they always change something or leave out something. the movie was entirly different from the cartoon and comics.

I know sometimes you have to change somethings in order for things to work. but i just want to seek your opinion.

sometimes i'd be like watching THOR and then i'd get some new info about THOR which results me into researching it where i'd find different versions.

For example:

- sometimes odin has 1 eye sometimes he doesn't.

- Heimdall can see and hear from far or in other worlds in the movie yet in the comics or whatever hamdeill is limited.

- other THOR supporting characters are portrayed differently like camille or baldr.

- in Hulk vs there was was reference of hela being Loki's father

- in the movie odin has the casket of winter instead of hiding it based on other versions.

- in the Comics THORs hammer can do a lot of stuff, but in the cartoon and movie, he's limited.

- Loki can call upon frost giants and in other products loki doesn't seem to know that he could.

- many times THOR has a love interest with sif other times, its like they are just simple friends.

- i'm not nitpicking, I just want to know your opinion on constant inconsistencies about THOR and his supporting cast. there are much more but i can't think of them at the moment.

#2 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

The writers are the problem here. This happens with all characters who have been seen on TV and or movies though. I mean Superman grunt's throwing cars and strains catching a plane on The Animated Superman an JL,and JLU, for example. I think they should make Thor's uniform more like the recent comic version and show a better display of his power.

#3 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a major fan, but I think I know the answer. For the plot!!!!!!!! Whatever the writer thinks will make the story better will happen.

#4 Posted by phisigmatau (559 posts) - - Show Bio

yup these guys are right

#5 Posted by HaveAtThee (580 posts) - - Show Bio

There is less room (or freedom) on the big screen or television to depict Thor using all of his powers. There has yet to be a threat big enough. The mandate for casual audiences is "keep it simple." Thus you see Thor being super strong and durable, able to fly, and call down lightning. That's it. Avengers EMH showed Thor opening portals to Asgardian space and back to Earth, which was neat, but not much else besides a Thunder Storm. Maybe we will be surprised in The Dark World or Avengers 2, but Marvel is obsessed with showing "the man behind the hammer/armor/shield" for the entire movie save for one climactic battle.

#6 Edited by Fernando072295REBORN (506 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to be a good Thor fan lol. When your hero has the power to do, almost literally, anything, it's not taken very well when he loses. And he really can do just about anything. There has to be inconsistencies so that he can appear in books and not make threats irrelevant. However, some writers, whether in comics, animations or whatever, don't have the talent to write him losing a believable battle because they don't really know him. They just know he shoots lightning and speaks Shakespearean English. They don't know that next to the Hulk he's the strongest hero in marvel, he's the most powerful hero in marvel, he's the most probably the most durable hero in Marvel, etc.

#7 Posted by sagejonathan (2026 posts) - - Show Bio

I was reading at the end of Thor: God of Thunder #12 the letters to Jason Aaron and one of them asked why Thor doesn't show off all his other powers. If Gorr was such a big threat, why should Thor hold back as all? Aaron responded that he had to restrict Thor's capabilities or there is no challenge and there would be no story. And I agree to a certain extent. I like that Aaron shows that Thor is incredibly strong and doesn't make him too weak; it's like the perfect balance in my opinion and they should make this the standard. As much as I love Thor, he can't be totally as strong as he supposed to be because then there would be nothing to tell :/

#8 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm such a whiny little b*tch.

#9 Posted by LenSnart (321 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised no ones mentioned Donald Blake

#10 Posted by Experio (17236 posts) - - Show Bio

His inconsistences with Telepathic people is disturbing, he has resisted more than not but its going down the opposite road. Writers are literally using Thor's mind as a weakness so he can fall to plot, cause its unlikely for the person fighting him to physically overpower him.

#11 Posted by HaveAtThee (580 posts) - - Show Bio

I was reading at the end of Thor: God of Thunder #12 the letters to Jason Aaron and one of them asked why Thor doesn't show off all his other powers. If Gorr was such a big threat, why should Thor hold back as all? Aaron responded that he had to restrict Thor's capabilities or there is no challenge and there would be no story. And I agree to a certain extent. I like that Aaron shows that Thor is incredibly strong and doesn't make him too weak; it's like the perfect balance in my opinion and they should make this the standard. As much as I love Thor, he can't be totally as strong as he supposed to be because then there would be nothing to tell :/

Don't forget Gorr (with the Necromancer weapon) was using the blood/essence of dead gods across the universe to fuel his power. Notice when King Thor joins in the battle and blasts him across the stars Gorr shits his pants when he realizes what he's up against, so he commands his berserkers to murder more gods to replenish and enhance his power. I think the Godbomb story moreso established that Gorr was quite a powerful villain with the Necromancer weapon, and we also got that orgasmic moment where Avenger Thor, with two Mjolnirs, absorbs a massive bomb designed to eliminate all of Marvel's pantheons. That was an extremely impressive display of both power and will by the thunder god.

#12 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

THOR has fans?

#13 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

THOR has fans?

Typical batman fans. They have no respect.

#14 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

@mitran said:

THOR has fans?

Batman has fans

#15 Posted by tigerkaya (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@thorson said:

@mitran said:

THOR has fans?

Batman has fans

The stupidity of trolls are not tolerated.

#16 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: I really don't get what you're trying to achieve with that statement.

#17 Posted by tigerkaya (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Guess we can add ignorant to the list.

#18 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: Let's call it disbelief at the size of your ego. Get over yourself.

#19 Posted by tigerkaya (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@tigerkaya: Let's call it disbelief at the size of your ego. Get over yourself.

Lets call your original comment useless and pointless to the thread. Now get lost.

#20 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: LOL... I made that comment specifically to be pointless. If I don't "get lost," what exactly is going to happen?

#21 Edited by The_Deathstroker (8023 posts) - - Show Bio

Knuck! Knuckl! Knuck!

I'm not a major THOR fan!!

I'm not a fan of THOR at all!!

>:D

#22 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8023 posts) - - Show Bio

.... I'll be leaving now.....

#23 Edited by phisigmatau (559 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

i'm such a whiny little b*tch.

its called growth my friend..

#24 Edited by AllStarHit-Girl (574 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@tigerkaya: LOL... I made that comment specifically to be pointless. If I don't "get lost," what exactly is going to happen?

hide yo kids, hide yo wife, they gonna find you, they gonna find you!

#25 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@thorson said:

@mitran said:

THOR has fans?

Batman has fans

What's good about being a douche bag?

#26 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

@mitran said:

@thorson said:

@mitran said:

THOR has fans?

Batman has fans

What's good about being a douche bag?

I don't know, ask a Batman fan.

#27 Edited by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstrokergeist said:

Knuck! Knuckl! Knuck!

I'm not a major THOR fan!!

I'm not a fan of THOR at all!!

>:D

at least deathstroke isn't a cancer like batman or his fans. One thing that's sad about it, is batman or his cancerous fan base never dies.

#28 Edited by The_Deathstroker (8023 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson:

That is.... Unless i kill him!!!

DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!!

#29 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson:

That is.... Unless i kill him!!!

DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!!

Its a shame you can't kill a dork that dresses like a bat.

#30 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8023 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson:

I mean.... I'm sure I could.... I beat him every time i meet him but PIS keeps him alive.

#31 Posted by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: oh you hypocrite you have no respect for either right?

#32 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting back on topic I blame the so-called editors for not keeping continuity straight between various writers. Walt Simonson's stories should be used as the basis and all other writers should be held to those stories for continuity.

Oh and Batman is my first two favorite superheros and Thor is my third so yes, fans of both can co-exist.

#33 Edited by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

I adore deathstroke. As skilled and as smart as he is, he should have killed batman from long time.

#34 Edited by tigerkaya (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

@lifeofvibe said:

I adore deathstroke. As skilled and as smart as he is, he should have killed batman from long time.

I always thought it was PIS that Batman could beat Deathstroke and Shiva. Batman should be known for his detective skill not a super martial artist leave those traits to Black Canary, Karate Kid and Richard Dragon.

#35 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

I found out from my 8-year-old son that in "Marvel Lego Superheroes" Thor isn't as strong as the Hulk, the Thing, She-Hulk, Luke Cage, Colossus, Red Hulk, Lizard, Juggernaut, Blob, Abomination and Kurse. In this XBox game all of the characters I've listed can lift cars but Thor cannot.

Whatabuncha $h!t.

#36 Posted by TheGodofThunder (602 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: That pissed me off as well when I played the game, but it was part of a gimmick of the game. Each hero has an ability that allows them to interact with certain switches/puzzles, but only one. Thor was given the electrical ability, while heroes like the ones you mentioned only have super strength. Thor can throw his hammer at walls etc. that normally only the "super strength" characters can though, so I guess there's that.

#37 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: That pissed me off as well when I played the game, but it was part of a gimmick of the game. Each hero has an ability that allows them to interact with certain switches/puzzles, but only one. Thor was given the electrical ability, while heroes like the ones you mentioned only have super strength. Thor can throw his hammer at walls etc. that normally only the "super strength" characters can though, so I guess there's that.

Yeah, I understand. Thor is different, though. He's the God of Thunder and a top-tier strength character; he should have both abilities. It's more disrespect for Thor, imo.

#38 Edited by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

I found out from my 8-year-old son that in "Marvel Lego Superheroes" Thor isn't as strong as the Hulk, the Thing, She-Hulk, Luke Cage, Colossus, Red Hulk, Lizard, Juggernaut, Blob, Abomination and Kurse. In this XBox game all of the characters I've listed can lift cars but Thor cannot.

Whatabuncha $h!t.

i never expect much from lego games

#39 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

@powerherc said:

Whatabuncha $h!t.

i never expect much from lego games

I don't expect much from Lego either but I do expect Marvel to protect their properties by insisting they be accurately depicted/translated into any and all licensed products. Marvel needs to remember Thor is a cornerstone of the Marvel Universe and he deserves the appropriate amount of respect to reflect that.

#40 Posted by Z3RO180 (6717 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: So is that a yay or nay to a full issue of showing us how Thor keeps his hair shinny ?

#41 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.