Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Lvenger's Thoughts on The New Female Thor Announcement

• 169 results
    ivar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

@ivar17: But that was to do with Loki consuming that raven which contained his essence. How could Freja's child age to adulthood so quickly?

I totally forgot that scene in journey in to the mystery 645 i think before Sif s Run, I am speculating... but i like to know what happened to that child??? Because Its Canon in Thor Character...

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#152  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@lvenger: Interesting read. Sums up my thoughts exactly. I think I'd mentioned this in another thread but my wife is a big Thor fan and hates this move. Her exact words were "why not promote Sif? I like Sif, I want to see more Sif, but what I don't see the point of is making a female Thor."

I agree about legacies and being defined simply as "female Thor". Captain Marvel is a great book and I'd prefer if Marvel stopped hinting at getting solidly behind her and just made her their "female face". They keep teasing it, just pull the trigger.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@ivar17 said:

@lvenger said:

@ivar17: But that was to do with Loki consuming that raven which contained his essence. How could Freja's child age to adulthood so quickly?

I totally forgot that scene in journey in to the mystery 645 i think before Sif s Run, I am speculating... but i like to know what happened to that child??? Because Its Canon in Thor Character...

Technically it is but lots of canon things have been forgotten in Marvel's history.

@lvenger: Interesting read. Sums up my thoughts exactly. I think I'd mentioned this in another thread but my wife is a big Thor fan and hates this move. Her exact words were "why not promote Sif? I like Sif, I want to see more Sif, but what I don't see the point of is making a female Thor."

I agree about legacies and being defined simply as "female Thor". Captain Marvel is a great book and I'd prefer if Marvel stopped hinting at getting solidly behind her and just made her their "female face". They keep teasing it, just pull the trigger.

Thanks and I likewise agree with you and your wife's points. Marvel are trying to do the right thing but they're doing so in utterly the wrong way.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

That didn't age him. It only killed the good Loki.

Loki was aged to adulthood by Wiccan

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By dondave

@lvenger: Also if we take Hickman's future as Canon, Thor won't be getting Mjolnir back for a very long time. 422 years in the future and that version of Thor doesn't have Mjolnir either and reminisces of once being worthy of Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

ivar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a big Thor fan (Marvel, other comics and Mythology) this are the reasons why i think this is a stupid idea by Marvel.

- Thor is not a mantle its his birth name (Thor was Thor before he had the Mjolnir even in the last Jason Aaron story Arc)

- Thor was created in Scandinavian Myths not by Marvel he was adapted by Stan Lee and Marvel, not like Spider-Man or the Hulk etc, that were created by Marvel, Thor is heavily inspired in Norse Mythology, drastic changes on the core essentials elements of the character like this one, will be a joke to non comic book readers.

- If you think this Mythology thing is crap, think again, because tomorrow is Tyr Day, then Odin Day, and next Thursday is Thor's Day, here in Europe most of the people associate Thor with Mythology not with comics, and I Think Marvel should respect the core essentials elements of the Mythology of the character, because that's is a part of the history and popular culture of several countries, like (Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and Norway), as you can see in the link below by the Swedish band Amon Amarth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQcacLFBXA

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#157 frozen  Moderator

@dondave: Hickman's future is often changed.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Winter_Kills

@lvenger:

I totally agree with all your points on this blog. And I say if Marvel wanted to have a strong female warrior lead, they should've pushed Lady Sif in JIM more. It had the potential to be a great series. She even had a guest appearance on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. & kicked ass, they could've used that to help push her but didn't. Valkyrie is another they could've pursued.

@ivar17 said:

As a big Thor fan (Marvel, other comics and Mythology) this are the reasons why i think this is a stupid idea by Marvel.

- Thor is not a mantle its his birth name (Thor was Thor before he had the Mjolnir even in the last Jason Aaron story Arc)

- Thor was created in Scandinavian Myths not by Marvel he was adapted by Stan Lee and Marvel, not like Spider-Man or the Hulk etc, that were created by Marvel, Thor is heavily inspired in Norse Mythology, drastic changes on the core essentials elements of the character like this one, will be a joke to non comic book readers.

- If you think this Mythology thing is crap, think again, because tomorrow is Tyr Day, then Odin Day, and next Thursday is Thor's Day, here in Europe most of the people associate Thor with Mythology not with comics, and I Think Marvel should respect the core essentials elements of the Mythology of the character, because that's is a part of the history and popular culture of several countries, like (Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and Norway), as you can see in the link below by the Swedish band Amon Amarth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQcacLFBXA

Awesome video, & I definitely agree with every bit of this. This stunt of Marvel's side-steps all the awesome mythological elements that Thor fans want, & that Aaron was providing until this point. And, if it turns out that Jane Foster or Roz someone like that picked up the hammer, it'll suck even more. If a woman is going to wield Thor's hammer- going in line with not only the comic enchantment, but Norse heritage, it would have to be a woman like this:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Lvenger

@dondave: Oh I'd forgotten that Loki's aging to adulthood came after he ate the raven containing his evil essence. And great, I'd almost forgetten about Hickman's future observations too. If Marvel really want to keep Thor from being Thor and possessing Mjolnir for several years, they're going to alienate and annoy a lot of longtime fans to say the least. I just hope it isn't another 422 years before Thor gets Mjolnir back, it's beyond distasteful that this is happening in the first place anyway.

ivar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ivar17

@lvenger said:

@dondave: Oh I'd forgotten that Loki's aging to adulthood came after he ate the raven containing his evil essence. And great, I'd almost forgetten about Hickman's future observations too. If Marvel really want to keep Thor from being Thor and possessing Mjolnir for several years, they're going to alienate and annoy a lot of longtime fans to say the least. I just hope it isn't another 422 years before Thor gets Mjolnir back, it's beyond distasteful that this is happening in the first place anyway.

I don't read Hickman's Avengers, but unworthy Thor has a metallic arm (could be temporary, healing), this future Thor in pics has normal arms.

Axel Alonso says there is a Long term exit plan for the chick with the hammer...

"In the case of Thor, Jason has a long-term plan, but any time I ask about the specifics of the exit plan, he runs out of the room."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54183

I never will call the chick with the hammer Thor, but as Thor (Odinson) fan and Jason is doing a good work until now, i will give it a shot if she is ASGARDIAN and close to Thor, if she is human (Jane, Salomon) or alien etc, i will make a big break with marvel comics...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivar17: I'm just taking a break from Marvel anyway. I don't like where the company is going and I don't like what they've done with my favourite Marvel characters at all. It's hardly the Marvel I fell in love with in the first place.

ivar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ivar17

@lvenger: This is off topic, but as a big mythology fan, NORSE but also Greek and Egyptian, I tried to read the new 52 Wonder Woman and Trinity of Sin, I didn't liked, but respect who did liked, for me there wasn't a believable connection from Greek mythology with the the grounded Dc Universe.

Probably my future in comics will resume to This:

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivar17: Oh I'm definitely picking that comic up too. Not only is Walt Simonson writing it but his proposal for what happens after Ragnorak sounds really cool. Screw Marvel for taking Thor away, I'll just go to IDW instead to get my Thor and Norse mythology fix :P

ThorTheBrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is Thor that's really all there is to is, you can change it so he's not wielding Mjolnir due to becoming unworthy but then becomes worthy again like in the Movie, that's fine but Thor is Thor, he's a Person not a title. The Hammer doesn't make you Thor being Thor makes you Thor, Wielding Mjolnir just makes you the wielder of Mjolnir. Christian People hate it when ever people talk about Jesus or God in ways they don't like so why would it be ok to Turn a Norse(which is Religion) God into a Female ? People would Rage if some one said God or Jesus was a Woman, so why is it ok to do it to another Religion's God ? if you wanted to being in male and Female equality into comic's by having stronger Female Hero's just Re-Ramp and put more effort into you're existing Female hero's, Or Create New Female Hero's, Perhaps Created a Freyja hero along side Thor in his Series for a while then have her Branch off into her own Series with the two showing up in each others Series from time to time. Freyja is already in some Older Marvel Content of Thor's so it's not like they haven't used her before. In Marvel the Valkyries are much like DC's Amazon's a Society run by Purely Females and is a Female Dominate Society which would help Promote Feminism. Changing the Gender of a characters that is not just some made up phantasy characters but is Fact a Actual God in a actual Religion is just insulting and is Spitting in the Face of all Believer's of the Norse Gods.

Avatar image for guardiansofthegalaxymarvelfan
    GuardiansoftheGalaxymarvelfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Great read. It was good to get introspect.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his whole run sucks it was all about the set up for the female Thor nothing else.

I just wish we could get back to making Thor a better hero. Not one armed no eyed Thor crap.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Simple explanations :

*Searching for new readers (girls and womens)

*Attract teen guys.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simple explanations :

*Attract teen guys.

i was talking with a female that liked Thor just as he was , but for some reason they think women want to be Thor....wow

Like men whom read WW want to be her...

What is wrong with this picture.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@realitywarper said:

Simple explanations :

*Attract teen guys.

i was talking with a female that liked Thor just as he was , but for some reason they think women want to be Thor....wow

Like men whom read WW want to be her...

What is wrong with this picture.

Actually when I read WW I want to be INSIDE her. :D

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey where do you think Invincible is tier wise on your list of your characters? I am almost done reading the series and I was just wondering.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.