Little help on Thor God of Thunder,(possible spoilers)

#1 Posted by MrPhoenix (314 posts) - - Show Bio

HI all, just finished reading issue #5 of Thor God of Thunder,Its been phenomenal so far but I'm left just a little bit confused.

Could someone explain how the future Thor scenario came to be after the past events happened the way they did.

maybe I'm missing the obvious or just plain thick but if someone has the time could they clear things up for me.

#2 Posted by Asagod (292 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read it yet. So, I don't know.

#3 Posted by SC (12914 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah well... time travel is tricky. i mean even just trying to explain. I'd just say embrace the confusion until the end of the arc just because we are dealing with three different time periods and three different aged Thors. So I don't think you are missing the obvious and definitely not thick especially if you are enjoying this awesome book lol but yeah. I think future issues might paint a clearer picture.

Was there anything that seemed to not make sense specifically? Most of the things that seem inconsistent to me are based on perception.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

TIME TRAVEL! Done.

Seriously though, trying to explain time travel, particularly when multiple iterations of an individual are meeting each other, gets CRAZY complicated. Even an immortal, thousand year old, doctor just calls it 'timey-wimey stuff'. But to try and explain it: Old Thor exists in a POSSIBLE future, which is now defunct, meaning it no longer actually exists in our Thor's timeline. In Old Thor's timeline, he probably did not make it through that portal, creating a split. In his timeline, he returned to Asgard, lived out the rest of his days, watched the Avengers fall, humanity evolve, his father die, etc, and eventually the Godbutcher returned, laying siege to Asgard and butchering the rest of the Gods, til he alone remained.

In OUR Thor's timeline, as you've seen, he DID make it through the portal, but the difference in seconds (if that) resulted in the Godbutcher arriving WAY before our Thor arrived.

Get it?

#5 Posted by MrPhoenix (314 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: This is kinda the theory i had thinking it may have been a "possible future" but id say this is a pretty good explanation so thanks.

#6 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

TIME TRAVEL! Done.

Seriously though, trying to explain time travel, particularly when multiple iterations of an individual are meeting each other, gets CRAZY complicated. Even an immortal, thousand year old, doctor just calls it 'timey-wimey stuff'. But to try and explain it: Old Thor exists in a POSSIBLE future, which is now defunct, meaning it no longer actually exists in our Thor's timeline. In Old Thor's timeline, he probably did not make it through that portal, creating a split. In his timeline, he returned to Asgard, lived out the rest of his days, watched the Avengers fall, humanity evolve, his father die, etc, and eventually the Godbutcher returned, laying siege to Asgard and butchering the rest of the Gods, til he alone remained.

In OUR Thor's timeline, as you've seen, he DID make it through the portal, but the difference in seconds (if that) resulted in the Godbutcher arriving WAY before our Thor arrived.

Get it?

@SC said:

Ah well... time travel is tricky. i mean even just trying to explain. I'd just say embrace the confusion until the end of the arc just because we are dealing with three different time periods and three different aged Thors. So I don't think you are missing the obvious and definitely not thick especially if you are enjoying this awesome book lol but yeah. I think future issues might paint a clearer picture.

Was there anything that seemed to not make sense specifically? Most of the things that seem inconsistent to me are based on perception.

These 2 are awesome answers 0_0

#7 Posted by SoA (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

not the biggest thor fan but i am loving this book , also i agree with everything the above posters have said :)

#8 Posted by New_World_Order (12949 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to read it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.