Let's talk about Thor's close combat fighting skills!

#1 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

It's something who bothers me a lot! Although Thor is capable of a lot of things... in theory... in fact, his hand to hand and more generaly, his close combat fighting techniques are portrayed in a way which does a disservice to the character!

We can assume that as god of war and heir of the throne, he's been training by the best warriors of Asgard! Incidentally, for those who watched "Thor Tales Of Asgard", it was the case. So why choose to show him just "stands and bangs"?

Feel free to point what you don't like, and what you would have preferred him to do!

#2 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX:

Because writers portray him as the type that just brawls and doesn't actually skills when fighting others.

#3 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: And It's really sad!!! :(

#4 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX said:

@majestic99: And It's really sad!!! :(

Agreed.

#5 Edited by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

There are so many thing that really annoy me! One, among other things : when you'are "worthy" and that you have the power of Thor, you can wipe the floor with him ; or fight him to a standstill!!! :(

#6 Posted by Z3RO180 (6703 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX: God of thunder dude

#7 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

He has who knows how many years of combat training and experience so by default he should be a CQB beast. Even if his personality tends to lean towards being a brawler that much training has to show a hell of a lot more than it is shown. Then again they made Ares a punching bag for the most part so...

#8 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor should be shown to have better hand-to-hand fighting skills.

Btw: Thor is not the Asgardian God of War. Tyr is.

#9 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

True, but Thor has bested Tyr in combat in the past and is their best warrior. But they can't get past the "Throw hammer" technique and explore further. Jesus.

#10 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Sorry! I'd mean as a god and a warrior. Because in the norse mythology, he's portrayed as a warriors (among other things).

#11 Posted by DeadpoolPT (23 posts) - - Show Bio

In the comic books, from what I read, Thor had to be worthy enough to receive Mojlnir from Odin. So in other words he had to fight several beasts and overcome them without having his hammer. I remember in one issue where Volstagg talks about fighting some monsters alongside Thor and how well Thor did to overcome the beasts before he even got Mjolnir. It might be much easier for writers to make Mjolnir Thor's source of power and allow Thor to only fight with Mjolnir and nothing else. In other words some writers are lazy and maybe unimaginative. Although we have seen Thor fighting hand to hand combat and even matching the likes of Hercules, which in itself is an achievement. He might be a God but at least make him fight like an experienced God, not just give him a weapon and make him rely solely on that weapon.

#12 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeadpoolPT: Well said! :)

#13 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I want to share with you an interview from a writer that every Thor Fans "love" : Jesse Blaze Snider!

Jesse Blaze Snider Interview

Hold your temper... I know it's hard... no... really, really hard!!!

#14 Posted by gravitypress (2066 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX said:

Now I want to share with you an interview from a writer that every Thor Fans "love" : Jesse Blaze Snider!

Jesse Blaze Snider Interview

Hold your temper... I know it's hard... no... really, really hard!!!

Never saw that before. So thats how writers justify WIS, interesting.

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX said:

@PowerHerc said:

Sorry! I'd mean as a god and a warrior. Because in the norse mythology, he's portrayed as a warriors (among other things).

Ok. I just wanted to be sure.

#16 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, because vikings and their gods were known for their great h2h skills, lol.

#18 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaRed86 said:

@PowerHerc said:

True, but Thor has bested Tyr in combat in the past and is their best warrior. But they can't get past the "Throw hammer" technique and explore further. Jesus.

Plus Thor beat Sif, when he was a teen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.