Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8589 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Jason Aaron's Thor #5 makes the news

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

One of the most popular technology sites, The Verge, has featured an article specifically dedicated to demonize Thor fans that have an issue with what Aaron is doing. They focus on Aaron's portrayal of Absorbing Man in Thor #5 as a symbolic interpretation of the views of the Thor fans who are in disagreement with the run.

I don't feel like stressing myself out by going on a rant, so have a look at the article:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/23/8092371/thor-feminism-marvel-comics

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Asgaard

The article is very poor doesn't acknowledge what are Thor fans real complains and ignores the panel with Titania actions, convenient for the message that they are trying to sell and predictable since there were other articles that criticize Aaron's Absorbing Man/Titania writing, this is marvel reaction with this old school propaganda... I have my own convictions and female Thor is a bad writing Pr stunt...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's exactly what Jason Aaron was doing so I'm not surprised. Titania giving up because she was a girl is absolute garbage writing though, that's the opposite of what feminists want. They want to see girls kick butt, not have the enemies give up because she's a girl. Aaron doesn't even know what he's doing.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Exactly. They cherry pick the portion that would suite their views and discard the rest. As a regular reader of the site, this is common behavior there. What truly annoyed me was how this article started to mislead some of the non-comic readers perception on the current situation. By failing to highlight the real and legitimate gripes Thor fans have, the whole article feels like it was something created specifically to mislead, or made completely out of ignorance.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Well that's exactly what Jason Aaron was doing so I'm not surprised. Titania giving up because she was a girl is absolute garbage writing though, that's the opposite of what feminists want. They want to see girls kick butt, not have the enemies give up because she's a girl. Aaron doesn't even know what he's doing.

This!!

He basically derails his own argument in the very same comic

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Asgaard

@unbreakable_fs4 said:

@asgaard: Exactly. They cherry pick the portion that would suite their views and discard the rest. As a regular reader of the site, this is common behavior there. What truly annoyed me was how this article started to mislead some of the non-comic readers perception on the current situation. By failing to highlight the real and legitimate gripes Thor fans have, the whole article feels like it was something created specifically to mislead, or made completely out of ignorance.

That was what i thought, i m used to this kind of propaganda, also to discredit our reasonable complains, some use the term "vocal minority", but one thing is for sure, WE GET A LOT OF ATTENTION.

Because we aren't a minority and we have valid complains about this Pr stunt P.I.S. kind of writing...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pizzaman

Another ignorant article about something the site knows nothing about. I'd like a site somewhere to get both sides the argument before posting garbage like this.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:The article is very poor doesn't acknowledge what are Thor fans real complains and ignores the panel with Titania actions, convenient for the message that they are trying to sell and predictable since there were other articles that criticize Aaron's Absorbing Man/Titania writing, this is marvel reaction with this old school propaganda... I have my own convictions and female Thor is a bad writing Pr stunt...

@unbreakable_fs4 said:@asgaard: Exactly. They cherry pick the portion that would suite their views and discard the rest. As a regular reader of the site, this is common behavior there. What truly annoyed me was how this article started to mislead some of the non-comic readers perception on the current situation. By failing to highlight the real and legitimate gripes Thor fans have, the whole article feels like it was something created specifically to mislead, or made completely out of ignorance.

1000% agreed. That article, I can honestly say, is biased trash. Whatever happened to unbiased journalism? Guess it went the way of the dodo, along with writers & companies actually caring about not only their iconic characters, but most importantly their loyal longtime readers. I believe this article was made with equal parts ignorance/bias, as well as misleading propaganda. Marvel editorial is using the controversy generated by articles like this to further their PR goals, & gain those precious new readers they desire attracted by the controversy. It's all part of the media blitz Marvel is using to keep this PR-fueled story running as long as they possibly can. They don't listen to, or address the legitimates gripes of readers like ourselves for that reason. They don't care about what we have to say, about our legitimate concerns & criticisms that have NOTHING to do with feminism, but poor writing, character derailment & blatant disregard for continuity & fans. They just lump us all in with the stereotype Aaron himself has created, & twist it all to further the controversy-fueled propaganda machine to try & give this book as much "legs" as possible. But controversial hype can only get you so far in sales- once the "shock & awe" is gone, so are those readers that picked it up just for that. Marvel knows this & helps to keep articles like this generated so the controversy can keep going, & give more attention to this book than it needs. The best thing fans like us can do is not buy into it, & give more fuel for the controversial PR-machine. In time it will run out of that fuel when the media blitz dies down. As for me, I'll be reading books that sell themselves on their own merits, with great writing & art, like Loki: AOA & Angela, & the great Thor stories of the past, & Marvel can enjoy their pet PR project while it lasts. That's just my 2 cents.

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was gonna try posting something insightful, but sadly all I got is this...

No Caption Provided

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they always forget the Titania part?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@wmarshal said:

Why do they always forget the Titania part?

Probably, because they want the critics to sound like sexists and that means they must make the characters sound like strong females and having a female character treat another female with kiddy gloves because of her gender does not generate that kind of image.

Overall I think the female Thor gets a lot of undeserved hatred, most people are actually hating the portrayal of male Thor in the books rather than the female main character, but this scene does deserve every bit of hatred for it. First of all what does Titania even mean with I respect what you do? So far she hasn't done anything that other female heroes have not done before her, but apparently doing so using the name of a man means you're a hardcore feminist. Lets ignore there are female heroes with a huge fanbase, who have their own name, Storm being the prime example.

The truth is at this point the female Thor has the name, fanbase and powers of the male character, due to her identity, motivation and personal situation being a secret to the reader there has not yet been anything brought to the character that could make you care for her aside from a pair of boobs. If this character had been published as her own character with her own name people would be less interested in her than in Silk. Just like it has been with Silk so far the only reason you read about her at this point is that she appears in a book that already had a huge fanbase prior to her appearing in it.

But instead of reacting to this criticism or ignoring it, because one as an actual plan with a character and believes that once her personality and motivation are revealed could convince people to enjoy the story, a straw man is written into the story to insult the fans, including the female ones, that are complaining.

And now that I'm writing this anyways, whats with this Lady Thunderstrike bullshit? Nobody would care if she called herself Thunderstrike, the guy is dead and his mace not in use. If Thor had gotten a death he deserved and this female would have filled the void he left behind people would be more open about her, because ones again this character isn't actually established enough to decide wether you like or hate her, it is the disrepect for the original character being a part of the concept behind the stories that is actually hated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.