Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Jason Aaron's attempt at being "clever"

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/5170005.html

No Caption Provided

I really hate when people that know so little of the subject try to weigh in and poke a few jabs at others, i see Aaron is butthurt about the backlash with female Thor even though most of the fans that objected where not objecting because she is a FEMALE... i mean woman sorry i heard the word FEMALE can be triggering now.

TB said it best.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Asgaard

I read that today in Loki's last issue... Won't change much because for me Aaron's rating already was bellow garbage... Just because TGOT was good, now he thinks he is more important than the character and the character fans, but he is wrong... For Thor fans the most important thing always will be the character...Writers come and go... He will continue to insult Thor fans to justify his current garbage writing on Thor, but he doesn't have any valid argument, because i m already fan of Angela and Sera, and if Female Thor was Agent Coulson the writing problems of his new book were exactly the same... Guess he doesn't understand that he lost the support of the majority of Thor fans...And keeps making it worse... Disappointed with Al Ewing...

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Marvel comics is just making a lot of weird decisions for their characters.

"Mister Quesada, after polling a focus group I believe we need more female characters"

"Make Thor female"

"Mister Quesada, my surveys say we need more african-american characters"

"Captain America is now Sam Wilson"

You guys realize you have characters who are like that already, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell? This is just too much. There should not be this much drama and funny business in comics. And I thought the comments Aaron made Creel make were too far. These writers spend too much time making fun of their detractors and it takes away from the comic itself and kind of makes it feel like a joke. But I guess that's what female Thor is now.

Let them story speak for itself, responding to fans or opposers in the actual comic is quite pathetic.

At least this will probably raise sales which is all marvel cares about right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept female Thor around all the way until Thor: Ragnarok comes out in 2017 with the way the female Thor series has been selling.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Isn't this Al Ewing's attempt at being clever?

Not necessarily because this is another pathetic message to justify Aaron's current crappy writing, not Al Ewing current writing... Although Loki's writer also has to have responsibilities in this subject...But this is clearly connected with Aaron's Absorbing Man insulting allegory to Thor fans...

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adderworks

The fake Thor is too emotional for it to be any fun, really. She whines too much. Even if I liked her, the name of Thor would not apply.

Fans whine - not the heroes

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not hard, just make Thors name Thor and Female Thors name Goddess of Thunder and justify the whisper as some sorta spell. Boom fixed everything.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

The butt hurt is strong in this thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is also strong with Jason aaron and Al Ewing.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Maybe they should just, I don't know, make Thor a man again.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using female Thor is the worst decision in the history of Thor. I'd like to know how after that great 25 issues of awesome storylines they got to this?

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

With surgery ?

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345 said:

With surgery ?

oh wow, I can see it now....

feminists/SJWs - how dare you make Thor a male character again.

Marvel - we're not, we're simply showing our commitment to diversity by representing female to male transgendered individuals in our comics.

lol!

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as bad as her entire fight/ramble with absorbing man

that lil bitch of a writer

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RealityWarper

@realitywarper: By giving the hammer back to dude Thor.

Why... Why so serious ?

@realitywarper said:

@username12345 said:

With surgery ?

oh wow, I can see it now....

feminists/SJWs - how dare you make Thor a male character again.

Marvel - we're not, we're simply showing our commitment to diversity by representing female to male transgendered individuals in our comics.

lol!

That would be both ridiculous and a lot of fun. XD

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@thegodofthunder said:

Not necessarily because this is another pathetic message to justify Aaron's current crappy writing, not Al Ewing current writing... Although Loki's writer also has to have responsibilities in this subject...But this is clearly connected with Aaron's Absorbing Man insulting allegory to Thor fans...

I'm willing to give Ewing a pass on this one, as the panel is part of a sequence in which future King Loki is recapping the events his present self has recently experience and all are presented in a glib, flippant, offhanded manner keeping with King Loki's character. Ewing having to back up the poor decisions in other Marvel titles is regrettable, but he is writing one of their better, more intriguing books at the moment.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not exactly sure what you folks are mad about.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical said:

@asgaard said:

@thegodofthunder said:

I'm willing to give Ewing a pass on this one, as the panel is part of a sequence in which future King Loki is recapping the events his present self has recently experience and all are presented in a glib, flippant, offhanded manner keeping with King Loki's character. Ewing having to back up the poor decisions in other Marvel titles is regrettable, but he is writing one of their better, more intriguing books at the moment.

It's always a very bad sign when you need that other writers back up your own writing, this was not the first time that Aaron needed Al Ewing support, to back up his terrible writing...Ewing is just following marvel editorial...Like Gillen in some out of the character actions of Thor in Angela book...They are not Straczynski...

No Caption Provided

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard the run with the female Thor had many actions that reflected on the fact that she was female and I know Loki reference memes from time to time (which I will admit to laughing at the odd time). I never knew it would be this bad to the point that TotalBiscuit would be tearing them apart.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I found it hilarious.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

I found it hilarious.

Me too. I literally laughed out loud and started clapping.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Saint_Sophie

Hardeeee har har

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it :(

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By antithetical

@ms-lola said:

I found it hilarious.

In context it absolutely is, even I had a bit of a laugh with that whole sequence in Loki AoA. And I really don't see it specifically as a jab at Thor or his fans.

Milokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't this new Thor run selling really well?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Asgaard

@milokill said:

Isn't this new Thor run selling really well?

Wasn't that the only point of this change? Besides the writing is only focused on the sales, with the plot who is she, Aaron didn't build and won't build anything else, because the book will stop for the Secret Wars after only 8 issues, pure PR Stunt move from Aaron and Marvel only for sales, and this is not like Thor best seller, not even on Straczynski run sales level...Maybe for Aaron sales are everything but at the eyes of the majority of Thor this move will never restore Aaron's credibility that he had in TGOT, because to try make this change work he destroy a lot of a stuff from Asgard.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: With that i agree, i do get a chuckle from bad writing myself.

@antithetical It's not a jab at Thor fans specifically it's a jab at gamergate.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: ah, ok, I'm only marginally familiar with gamergate, just what I've picked up on it through references here on the vine.

Milokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: meh. Enough people seem to enjoy the run, allowing it to sell well. And given that the industry is just that, a business industry, there to make some money, it's working.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Asgaard

@milokill said:

@asgaard: meh. Enough people seem to enjoy the run, allowing it to sell well. And given that the industry is just that, a business industry, there to make some money, it's working.

Nor necessarily... by now you should know how comics sales work right?... Red Hulk!?

Unfortunately we can't talk about the book sales after her identity is revealed because the book ends right there (wait was this a run?), if the plot is that good Aaron could make the reveal when she first pick Mjolnir, because she has no valid motivation to hide her identity, that's a pure bait for the new readers keep reading the book, not good writing (Titania!?). If the whisper is revealed in Aaron's new book Thors, and she keeps wielding Mjolnir after that i m very curious about that future sales, without mystery plots and the Pr stunt hype... a run are not only 8 bait issues and Thor Odinson still is there many of the readers are still reading the new book only for him...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yes brilliant marketing strategy from Marvel here. Not only do they take away the character Thor fans actually read Thor comics for, but they decide to rub salt in the wounds of fans who paid for their Thor comics beforehand and who have legitimate complaints about the problems with Aaron's story. Good job Marvel, you sure did let your fans know they were wanted.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel editorial are experts at trolling their own fanbase. The worst aspect is that many comic fans who dislike a story or a character will CONTINUE TO BUY THE BOOK because of some obscure sense of "loyalty."

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Mekboy

Sorry, but I don't get this.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mekboy:

Al Ewing and Jason Aaron are directly addressing detractors to the current "Thor" status quo by directly speaking to the reader through sarcastic dialogue. Rather childish in my opinion, but this is the new generation of hashtags, status updates and twitter bombs or whatever.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milokill:

Really well. #11 on the charts and over 65k at issue 5.

A title such as this is where I do not think the reboot of the MU has really been in play for "years". I do trust Aaron had a plan and this was part of it, and a carry-on from OS but this threw a hammer into the works.I think it expanded to affect titles that were initially on the sidelines as this will be hard pressed to have a good resolution by issue #8. For me, a bigger issue is the "whisper" and the Dark Elf which will not have decent length and a solid foundation in only 2 more issues and I doubt it carries on into Thor Corps: Battleworld Policepeople.

wrongdamnside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can anyone explain the meme please. I'm completely lost.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milokill:

Really well. #11 on the charts and over 65k at issue 5.

A title such as this is where I do not think the reboot of the MU has really been in play for "years". I do trust Aaron had a plan and this was part of it, and a carry-on from OS but this threw a hammer into the works.I think it expanded to affect titles that were initially on the sidelines as this will be hard pressed to have a good resolution by issue #8. For me, a bigger issue is the "whisper" and the Dark Elf which will not have decent length and a solid foundation in only 2 more issues and I doubt it carries on into Thor Corps: Battleworld Policepeople.

All that's going to be "resolved" is replacement Thor's identity, and that took EIGHT freakin' issues! Milk it for all it's worth Aaron, which ain't that much at this point. As for the the story involving Malekith I guess it could be carried over into the "Thors: Battleworld" book, but I have a feeling with probably at least a dozen or more different Thors involved things are going to be convoluted enough without piling on just as many variations of Malekith. It probably could be carried on with afterwards, but would it make any sense? Would things pick up from where they left off without so much as a mention of the Secret Wars nonsense or would this developing arc just fall by the wayside because now it's a different universe? It's all maddening I tell you...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

So what does everyone think of those articles which use falsified statistics of Fem-Thor's run to justify it selling better and thus being more popular? Anyone debunked those yet?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By antithetical

As @asgaard said, going by sales of replacement Thor compared to TGoT is apples and oranges, if TGoT had similar media hype and push from Marvel at the time of its launch then there would be a legitimate and justifiable basis for claiming it's doing "better". Also had Marvel put her out there on her own and not kept real Thor around those sales numbers would be significantly lower. Smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned, but backers of this bs will conveniently overlook those annoying facts to try and prove their point.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ms-lola: With that i agree, i do get a chuckle from bad writing myself.

@antithetical It's not a jab at Thor fans specifically it's a jab at gamergate.

Not quite what I meant, but we both know that. As long as we both laugh, it's the enjoyment that matters.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The God of Thunder was both a commercial and critical success (relatively speaking in the comic book market), as I think it was consistently the 2nd or 3rd best selling solo title behind Spider-Man and sometimes Deadpool (?). Better than Wolverine, Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man. The new Thor relaunch had the benefit of mainstream media attention (announcement on The View, which is viewed by millions of people) and an ad campaign by Marvel. The Marvel NOW! relaunch was merely a reshuffling of creative teams.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.