Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Is Thor's lightning magic?

Avatar image for lordofthebrocean
    lordofthebrocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lordofthebrocean

Is his lightning magic like Captain Marvel's, or is it regular lightning like Storm's?

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @lordofthebrocean 

Magic
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By seekquaze

This has often been debated.  Some say it is regular lightning summoned by magic.  Others say it is magic.  Since it can harm beings as powerful as Thor or the Hulk I would say it is a bit of both.  I would say magic summons it and it is for most part like regular lightning.  The difference is a bolt if it can be fare more powerful than a bolt of regular lightning by Thor's choosing.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freaking magic. Tell me when a regular lighting can level a city "lorn bolt", hurt Skyfathers, KO Hulk; SS.

He also stated that he can summon lightnings 10000 times more powerful than usual.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's magic but it has varying degrees of power depending on Thor's needs.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HaveAtThee

Divine magic.

Thurdazz1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep! its Both , Thor can summon, control, Emit, & enhance regular lightning stated as up to 10,000 times as powerful normal lightning, He can also draw in/absorb into Mjolnir any ambient or directed electrical energy multiply it thousands of times & redirect it, Thor also can control/emit, summon Divine Lightning & also The first or Purest Lightning which he uses mainly against Godly or Cosmic level threats ,like Thanos, Magog, Glory(from Chaos King saga) Mystical equivalent to a Nuke.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's regular lightning, unless Thor feels the need to enhance it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By cameron83

Yep! its Both , Thor can summon, control, Emit, & enhance regular lightning stated as up to 10,000 times as powerful normal lightning, He can also draw in/absorb into Mjolnir any ambient or directed electrical energy multiply it thousands of times & redirect it, Thor also can control/emit, summon Divine Lightning & also The first or Purest Lightning which he uses mainly against Godly or Cosmic level threats ,like Thanos, Magog, Glory(from Chaos King saga) Mystical equivalent to a Nuke.

Divine magic.

It's magic but it has varying degrees of power depending on Thor's needs.

CHE_GUEVARA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiicccccccc.

magic.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his lightning is both

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Pyrogram

Sometimes.

Dondarrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thor can summon, control, Emit, & enhance regular lightning stated as up to 10,000 times as powerful normal lightning, He can also draw in/absorb into Mjolnir any ambient or directed electrical energy multiply it thousands of times & redirect it, Thor also can control/emit, summon Divine Lightning & also The first or Purest Lightning which he uses mainly against Godly or Cosmic level threats ,like Thanos, Magog, Glory(from Chaos King saga) Mystical equivalent to a Nuke.

Does anyone have scans or a source for the bold text? I'm working on something and need scans for it.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i'd say no but its debatable.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why wouldn't it be? He is a God does Marvel have to say that his Lightning is magic?

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its regular lighting. BUT he can enhance/enchant it if need be. Theres plenty of times where its been shown as such

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I dont see how its not, he can channel it though his body which isnt natural

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has some magical properties to it definitely. He can summon it in space which shouldn't be possible and can channel it through his body and through mjolnir which is magical.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
    Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His bolts are 100% magic, he even has different TYPES of bolts for different situations. Last panel.

No Caption Provided

Fufuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the difference anyway? Has magic in Marvel (specially Thor's) ever been stated to have a different effect? I mean, sure, Thor can probably amp his lightning strength beyond anything natural, but so can Storm or Electro under certain circumstances, for instance.

So what would be the fundamental difference between Thor's lightning (which can be magical and natural - I assume) to Storm's (which is completely natural)? Or Electro's (also natural)?

I know that DC's magic is quite different, as some characters (famously Superman) has some vulnerability to it, but is it like that on Marvel as well? I always read magic in Marvel as some type of energy manipulation, with spell casting simply being a form of manipulating those energies to different effects (from mind control, to power steal, to transmuting to blasting someone in the face with it).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.