Is Thor written poorly ?

#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

thoughts on the issue

#2 Posted by Strider92 (16433 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently yes and @k4tzm4n mind moving this to the Thor forum :)?

#3 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this in the wrong forum? XD

#4 Posted by Dextersinister (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

No he is written well enough given who he partners up with. Realistically the role of most of the Avengers should be reduced to clapping when Thor returns from saving the day but obviously that would get boring pretty fast.

#5 Posted by XImpossibruX (5174 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely, Thor is waaaaaay more powerful then 95% of the Avengers. He just needs to job to fit in.

#6 Posted by Bo88gdan (4405 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes yes yes

#7 Posted by Z3RO180 (6533 posts) - - Show Bio

yes and no

#8 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has always been recognized as the most powerful Avenger (at least the most powerful consistent Avenger). Unfortunately, that means whenever a new threat is created, he's the one that the new character has to beat to show off their power.

Mjonlir back in it's heyday seemed to be able to produce almost effect Thor needed it to produce. As comics developed it became more and more powerful, until one day Mjonlir just seemed to stop having any special powers.

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind Mjonlir not being as powerful as it was in it's classic days. On the other hand, I really wish Thor would use the powers already established by Mjonlir, and start fighting more like Beta Ray Bill. That is, start showing more tactical thinking, and a lot more ruthlessness against his foes. As much as I love the whole "I depower myself to fight more evenly with my foes" personality, at some point I really wish he would re-establish himself as the most powerful Avenger.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#9 Posted by BigCimmerian (8305 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he is one of the most powerful beings on the planet and he is still used as a punching bag.

#10 Posted by SoA (4828 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bo88gdan said:

Yes yes yes

@Floopay said:

Thor has always been recognized as the most powerful Avenger (at least the most powerful consistent Avenger). Unfortunately, that means whenever a new threat is created, he's the one that the new character has to beat to show off their power.

Mjonlir back in it's heyday seemed to be able to produce almost effect Thor needed it to produce. As comics developed it became more and more powerful, until one day Mjonlir just seemed to stop having any special powers.

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind Mjonlir not being as powerful as it was in it's classic days. On the other hand, I really wish Thor would use the powers already established by Mjonlir, and start fighting more like Beta Ray Bill. That is, start showing more tactical thinking, and a lot more ruthlessness against his foes. As much as I love the whole "I depower myself to fight more evenly with my foes" personality, at some point I really wish he would re-establish himself as the most powerful Avenger.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

@BigCimmerian said:

Yes, he is one of the most powerful beings on the planet and he is still used as a punching bag.

#11 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:

yes and no

If I read You correctly - I agree with You.

In most popular comics - yes, he seem to be written poorly.
In his other appearances - no, since he currently proved to have all his old abilities, killed Demogorge and The Serpent (last one not only on his own power), stomped Tanarus, fought with The Other, hurt Galactus, put down Glory, destroyed Clor, killed Angrir and (while weakned) took down Nul. Pretty good score for me...
#12 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he needs to do something heroic to demonstrate his power to all the non-believers.

#13 Posted by Vengance101 (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Hulk stomp superman?

#14 Posted by charlieboy (7160 posts) - - Show Bio

No I don't think so. Thor is a powerful character but he isn't the most powerful marvel character and there are lots of characters in the Marvel U capable of taking him on.

#15 Posted by D3athstroke (3915 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes walking pis machine and he is not written poorly his comics is written horribly

#16 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing is for sure: there are enough of these threads all over the internet (questions like these must pop up five times a year on this site alone) to indicate that fans of Thor think he is a punching bag.

#17 Posted by solesamurai (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup he hasn't used 80% of his powers in years, Thor really has absolutely no reason to lose any his fights.

#18 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@solesamurai said:

Yup he hasn't used 80% of his powers in years, Thor really has absolutely no reason to lose any his fights.

Actually he is using them, just not in most popular stories.
Infinity Vortex or other kind of shield - last annual
FTL speed - Astonishing Thor
Immunity to telepathy - fight with Emma in AvX vs.
Drainning/abosrbing powers - Thor tie-in in Chaos War.
Anti-force blast - first issues of Avengers
God Blast - Astonishing Thor
#19 Posted by Simon_the_digger (2949 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly yes, he keeps getting weaker and more boring with time.

#20 Posted by Z3RO180 (6533 posts) - - Show Bio

@czarny_samael666: yea thats pretty much what i meant. I havent read any of AvX i have only seen scans so thats why idint give a big answer cause i dount have an educated guess on what people would mostly refer to on this fourm.

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

Before making another thread or posting, I recommend you read the Forum Rules.

- This is in the wrong forum. It should either be in the Thor Forum or General Discussion Forum.

#22 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

This belongs in the Thor forum.

But yes. He and Silver Surfer are two characters that most readers recognize as powerful, top tier, heroes, and unfortunately because of that (bad) writers tend to use that when introducing a new villain/threat, by having one of them job to said threat. It's suppose to have the effect of instantly making the new threat seem credible, and the first time it happens it does. When it starts happening consistently though, it just ends up making Thor/Surfer look weak instead.

#23 Edited by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Jla is just as bad, people get reduced to their most commonly recognized traits, it happens.

#24 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@XImpossibruX said:

Completely, Thor is waaaaaay more powerful then 100% of the Avengers. He just needs to job to fit in.

Fixed.

#25 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, don't be to upset about it , Guys like ss, hulk, thor and hercules job when there one a team so the little guys could shine

#26 Posted by AngryHulks (3001 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, modern Thor was written poorly, just compare him with classic Thor.

#27 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde said:

This belongs in the Thor forum.

But yes. He and Silver Surfer are two characters that most readers recognize as powerful, top tier, heroes, and unfortunately because of that (bad) writers tend to use that when introducing a new villain/threat, by having one of them job to said threat. It's suppose to have the effect of instantly making the new threat seem credible, and the first time it happens it does. When it starts happening consistently though, it just ends up making Thor/Surfer look weak instead.

The Worf Effect

#28 Posted by solesamurai (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@czarny_samael666 said:

@solesamurai said:

Actually he is using them, just not in most popular stories. Infinity Vortex or other kind of shield - last annual FTL speed - Astonishing Thor Immunity to telepathy - fight with Emma in AvX vs.Drainning/abosrbing powers - Thor tie-in in Chaos War. Anti-force blast - first issues of Avengers God Blast - Astonishing Thor

That's the thing thats less than 1/15th of his powers and he was never retconned. Classic Thor was like SA supes, dude had a new power everytime he appeared.

#29 Posted by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he is and it's not just about his power level and losing fights he shouldn't.

#30 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it's quite frustrating...

I'm hoping the new Thor: God of Thunder will be good. Perhaps his new-found popularity from the movies might help him get written better?

#31 Posted by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Strider92: Gotcha.
Staff
#32 Posted by Strider92 (16433 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Strider92: Gotcha.

Thanks!

#33 Posted by Kellar21 (444 posts) - - Show Bio

Lately? Yes,Marvel seems to be taking a more earthly approach and Thor has to be weakened to not humble the other Avengers.

And I seriously think there are some writers who dislike him because he is a pagan god,I wish Stan could intervene.

#34 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@czarny_samael666: and @czarny_samael666 said:

@solesamurai said:

Actually he is using them, just not in most popular stories. Infinity Vortex or other kind of shield - last annual FTL speed - Astonishing Thor Immunity to telepathy - fight with Emma in AvX vs.Drainning/abosrbing powers - Thor tie-in in Chaos War. Anti-force blast - first issues of Avengers God Blast - Astonishing Thor

and where is the strength feats.... .... total wimp..... marvel has made him into

#35 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole AVX thing and tie in concearning Thor has been utterly ridiculous. It's like they have dumbbed down his true power. It's disrespectful to the character, fans , and creators of Thor in Marvel.

#36 Posted by THORSON (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

yes its because of Christians. they are to jealous to see a real mighty god prevail on top, so they try to punk him in the comics.

#37 Posted by New_World_Order (13182 posts) - - Show Bio

Not much anymore.

#38 Edited by Z3RO180 (6533 posts) - - Show Bio

@THORSON dear god I hope that was a bad joke if you really need to lean a lot about modern religion and lean how to separate the real and the stereotypes

#39 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

yes its because of Christians. they are to jealous to see a real mighty god prevail on top, so they try to punk him in the comics.

this is by far, the worst and idiotic comment in history. my brain actually hurts after reading this.

#40 Edited by TDK_1997 (14891 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently not.

#41 Edited by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, modern Thor was written poorly, just compare him with classic Thor.

exactly....he is written poorly... weak weak weak... no strength

and a punching bag alll the damn time..

avengers... he was slapped around... like a hockey puck

they allowed thanos to mind control hulk who knocked him out using his own hand and hammer......

he did NOTHing without mjolnir....... its painful to watch thor jobbed like this

#42 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Aaron is doing a great job writing Thor, and Remender's making the next arc in Uncanny Avengers a Thor-centric arc in which Thor has to stop Apocalypse from killing the ancestors of his teammates, which sounds very intriguing. Normally, most writers are clueless when it comes to team books, so they resort to the standard "let the powerhouse take a beating to show off villain, then street-levelers pull off amazing feats to win the battle" formula. It's why Captain America, Spider-Man and Wolverine get the most shine in major team events, not Thor, Hulk or any other powerhouse.

#43 Edited by THORSON (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

this is by far, the worst and idiotic comment in history. my brain actually hurts after reading this.

that's what i do. :)

#44 Posted by THORSON (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@THORSON dear god I hope that was a bad joke if you really need to lean a lot about modern religion and lean how to separate the real and the stereotypes

4 months ago i was being serious. but my views have changed.

#45 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan, and it could be because he is written badly in other media. I haven't read him in comics. But over the years his appearances in cartoons, movies (like The Incredible Hulk Returns with Bixby), always make him seem like an extremely pompous, stupid, jackass. I would imagine a character this popular would be more multidimensional. If I got past the media versions and ultrafans, I might have liked him., Think I was poisoned.

#46 Edited by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been used fairly well in the current Marvel films. His character has compassion, empathy and understanding. Heck, Loki brought an alien armada to conquer the Earth, and Thor was still trying to talk him out of it and show him support, also showing remorse for ever interfering in Midgard.

#47 Posted by THORSON (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

yes. because there are many thor haters out there.

#48 Edited by Fernando072295REBORN (502 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been written very well recently.

#49 Posted by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

I'm not a fan, and it could be because he is written badly in other media. I haven't read him in comics. But over the years his appearances in cartoons, movies (like The Incredible Hulk Returns with Bixby), always make him seem like an extremely pompous, stupid, jackass. I would imagine a character this popular would be more multidimensional. If I got past the media versions and ultrafans, I might have liked him., Think I was poisoned.,

If your first exposure to Marvel Thor was Incredible Hulk Returns then you were poisoned. That version of Thor was totally unlike the comics version. Thor was originally more like the movie version. A tad reckless and arrogant that got him banished, but never so unlikeable. The movie version where he is still respectful of women and has manners is closer to the comics Thor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.