Is Thor really a God?

#101 Posted by PowerHerc (86127 posts) - - Show Bio

You bet your ass he is.

#102 Posted by TheGodofThunder (675 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Haha, love the enthusiasm.

#103 Posted by Blood1991 (8115 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends how you define god/gods.

#104 Posted by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: True, In this context I think yes though.

#105 Posted by marvel123 (397 posts) - - Show Bio

i am a fan of thor, however i never liked it when people would assume he would automatically win battles just because he's a god. i often see people trying to justyhow thor "easily" prevails over other characters like hulk,superman, gladiator, and others soley on the basis that he is a god. don't get me wrong, i think thor is a good character, but there are others that are just as good. for instance characters such as superman are shown strong enough to moving planets and fly to the sun in less than 8 min, other characters may portray simmilar feats as, yet they are not regarded as gods and it doesn't mean that they cannot be beaten. being a god is no reason to justify thor winning almost every battle. there have been a few times where wonder woman has beaten ares and even a few times where superman has beaten darksied (a god on apokolips). "gods" can fall, i've seen characters (both heroes and villians) perform greater feats than thor, but i've talked to really dedicated thor fans who essentially think that he will ultimately win almost ever battle on the basis that he is a god. according to hulk in the avengers movie "god" is just a tittle...............you can be a "puny god". thats why i believe that in the comic universe, being a god does Not mean that one can't die, is all powerful, or unbeatable, it's just a tittle. i hope i did not upset any thor fans, good topic though

#107 Posted by Mr_know_it_all (4 posts) - - Show Bio

thor isnt a god. asgardians were worahipped as gods but that is it. no one would be calling thor a god if he didnt have that hammer anyway. thor doesnt have infinite power, he is not immortal, and he cannot create something from nothing. thor is no god but worshipped as one by vikings. thor could be considered a demi god though

#108 Posted by arthurkerr (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he would be considered a god because he made the thunder and the rain but mutants in some degree would also be in that boat.

But they also have potental to rip the soul from your body to take you to Valhalla or the realm of hell. So this would pretty well define a god to me.

However God the one that made heaven and hell all the angels and all creation itself and even somehow made himself from nothing.

No Thor is not that God.

Then again if he was it was be a boring read.

So the Beyonder comes closer to God then any other being.

Can do just about anything he wishes and nothing can go against him nothing at all.

Then again maybe even the Beyonder is weak compared to God.

Just sayin.

If anything Odin is powerful but he at least lets those below him think they have power.

He lets them go about doing things untill they mess up to bad and then he brings them back returns from the dead or what where ever he was and he says. I gave you the chance and you messed it the hell up. Watch me fix this shit and stand back.

You see true power is something that you never see coming. Even when you thought you tricked it. True power will amaze you and it will surprise you. Like Thor vs Galactus even after he is standing on top the body of Galactus you see Galactus fade away and this ultra powerful being look at Thor and say. Ok did you get all your anger out. Did you want to talk about whats really bothering you?

True power is not about force or might or blow to blow. It is like gravity ever present and all consuming. The black hole.

Sooner or later it wins.

True power will amaze you because it does things you never suspect.

Food for thought.

Akira is a great Animation because it shows what happens when a cell recalls the power of God and creation.

It can do anything at all and the human has to fight for control or lose its humanity.

#109 Posted by KaraZor-el (1800 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Hes a god.

#110 Posted by uugieboogie (5008 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_know_it_all: clearly you don't know it all , lol . Thor's a god but he should be considered far above a god . He's half asgardian (god) & half elder god . His father his Odin & his mother is Gaea earths elder goddess . He's created plenty of things before lol . He creates storms all the time & has done so without mjolnir . He also created food & brought someone back to life .

#111 Posted by arthurkerr (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

If you use something called a god blast you must be a god.

lol

#112 Posted by Jayc1324 (16592 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no disputing that he's a god.

#113 Posted by T_Aesir (140 posts) - - Show Bio
@jayc1324 said:

There is no disputing that he's a god.

With story Arcs like The God Butcher and the God Bomb, it s very imaginative to think He is not a God in Marvel Comics...

#114 Posted by SkyRobo1 (320 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much what everyone said - However I would like to add that Thor at his peakest which is RKT has been hinted to have at least Semi/full Omniscient.

#115 Posted by PowerHerc (86127 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#116 Posted by killraven4334 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

@izaiah said:

As far as the writing intent seems to be concerned, yes, Thor is a lower-case-g god (clearly not supreme).

The Thor movie (and presumably Avengers), on the other hand, presents the Asgardians as advanced humanoid aliens rather than gods proper.

as to not offend monotheists and atheists, which I am okay with because in actuality by our definition gods would be considered aliens as well

#117 Edited by Jimishim12 (624 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a god yet he can get his shit rocked by various alien beings from space and lose to true primordals.Same with Odin. IMO, Gods are aliens who just live in other planes of existence that draw from a different singularity of universal rules.

#118 Posted by THORSON (3092 posts) - - Show Bio

he's the god of thunder. i hope you know this by now

#119 Edited by arthurkerr (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

ooops

#120 Edited by Erediore (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12: i.e. he is a God -.-

Gods in Marvel aren't about to be unbeatable beings, neither they were that in their original mythos... the definition of aliens is only that about living organisms from other planets, they don't reach to the level of gods or the concept of God/Gods.

A question to anyone, the word with capital G is owned by monotheism? Otherwise any God is a God.

Unless this is only used to define the difference of the monotheist God from a pagan God.

Thor IS a God, just not the monotheist one, thus, not a single 'omni' applies to him or to Egipcian Gods or Olympian Gods, and all of them are Avatars of TOAA, the creator of all things (the Marvel representation of the monotheist God), and as such they hold the greatest powers, they are the source of all magic and they control the balance of all the universe and they deal with the highest responsabilities of the universe, things beyond any mortal's comprehension.

If Asgardians dies, it's because TWSAS have tricked them to die of old age, by lethal means or by prophecies, to become their food and return to life after The Ragnarok Cycle, Olympians don't die of old age, but they can be killed by lethal means as well, any God can die as Gorr The Godbutcher proved, still tho, they are Gods, their place is set and is a high one, no mortal from any planet (aliens) can supplant them or steal their godliness, and if such, is or has been written, they aren't worthy of it by any mean.

#121 Posted by HULKSMASHLITTLEMAN (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor might be a god but can die . He is not immortal .

#122 Posted by Chimeroid (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel bad for bumping this but... If Thor is a god of thunder and lightning would that mean that there would be no more lightning on earth if he died? If it doesn't what classifies him as a god? The pure fact he is from Asgard? That would just make him an alien.

#123 Posted by Spambot (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything that is worshipped or set clearly above humanity in some way could be argued to be a god. Jesus himself said(according to the Bible) "ye are all gods" or something along those lines when someone asked him if he was the son of God. So its not really a big deal that Thor is considered a god unless you choose to try and confuse being a god with being God.

#124 Posted by Spambot (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: He is called the god of thunder because he has power over the elements. The elements per se existed and will continue to exist both before and after Thor does but Thor still has power over them which may have to do with his connection with the earth mother who is his physical mother.

#125 Edited by mcdavid (434 posts) - - Show Bio

Polytheism vs monotheism. That's all there is to it.

Thor is a god, but that doesn't mean he has to be omnipotent, nor omniscient or even eternal.

#126 Posted by stormphoenix (1016 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a Alien

#127 Posted by Chimeroid (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: @mcdavid: But to be a god you need to represent something or to at least guard it... If utilising elements made you a god both Icemen and Storm would be gods...

#128 Posted by mcdavid (434 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid:

I don't really know how to answer that, apart from saying Thor is the god of thunder.

#129 Posted by Chimeroid (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcdavid: ok.. enjoy your creative and intelligent debates in the future

#130 Edited by Spambot (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: Thor does represent something. I mean its kind of hard to argue against him being a god when he was worshipped as just such for almost 1000 years in N Europe. Just go read up on Norse mythology. He was the god of many things besides thunder/lightning.

#131 Posted by Chimeroid (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: yes, but what makes for a god? Abilities? Famili relations? Followers? I believe this could be a great intellectual debate

#132 Posted by Spambot (1301 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: imo, being a major part of a religious group/pantheon and having temples/worshippers for a period of hundreds of years would qualify someone for god status.

#133 Edited by mcdavid (434 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid said:

@mcdavid: ok.. enjoy your creative and intelligent debates in the future

Sorry I don't mean to act as if I was shutting you down, it's just that your question is trying to define what it is essentially undefinable. What is divine and what isn't. Ultimately all a god truly is, is belief.

You're saying a god HAS to represent something, and it is indeed often the case in polytheist religions. However like all things mythological...the details are always blurred or obscured. For example in the Eddas, the source or ramifications of Thor's powers are never truly explained. There never was a segment that went on to explain how there never was thunder BEFORE Thor came into existence, or whether thunder could exist outside of Thor's control. He is just simply introduced as the god of Thunder.

Another perfect example would be Herakles in Greek Mythology. After he perished from wearing the poisonous centaur's coat and completing his 12 labors. Rather than letting him die his father Zeus took him to Olympus and made him the god of strength. Now does that mean there was no "strength" before Herakles ascended to godhood ? Surely if he is the god of strength, then strength couldn't have existed before he became its god ? This approach to the problem leads to so many questions and severe plot-holes than actually detract from what is divinity. That's what I mean by the risk and confusion that can entail from trying to define religious concepts. In the end, you can't and have to be willing to suspend your disbelief. No matter how illogical.

Marvel Thor, just like the mythology he is based on, is simply introduced as the god of thunder. There are numerous quotes from him explaining how his influence feels and stretches across all the storms on the planet, sometimes it even encompasses those gigantic storms in space. He has manifested those same powers on numerous planets,timelines and universes.He was/is worshiped on earth and has been seen being prayed to on other worlds. Most if not all lightning-based/weather manipulating characters in Marvel have admitted that they could never match Thor's control or potency with storms and lightning...so maybe that can help cement the idea that when it comes to that type of natural element, there is no one that can match him. So maybe that's some sort of godhood in its own way as well. Finally, we have all the lore surrounding the characters. Asgard, Odin, the Bifrost, Yggdrasil, Ragnarok and so on... his entire rogue gallery is centered around Norse mythology (as you would expect from a Norse god) and Marvel Thor often does his best to mirror the original tales he was based on.

Marvel Thor is based fairly closely on a polytheistic god of Thunder, he acts like a polytheistic god of thunder, and is accepted by all characters as a polytheistic god of thunder.

So when you ask say me if just utilizing the elements is enough to make you a god, or whether you have to both precede& succeed the existence of an element to truly claim your godhood..you know it's something nobody can answer with true certainty. You can't define the undefinable, and in the end, isn't that divinity truly is ? The unexplainable ? The incomprehensible? The unbelievable ?

To an extent, in comics the lines can get easily blurred between the "godly" and the "superhuman". Because ultimately both are things impossible to define and rationalize in the real world. That is one of the reasons why I think Thor might come off slightly underwhelming in an age where monotheism is the norm. What makes Thor a god in Marvel is his back-story and adventures, the fact that he is one of the strongest protagonists in its universe and that half the time his team-mates are quite simply awestruck by his abilities.

So when I said to you "he is just the god of thunder", I hope you can see I wasn't cutting you short. I was simply giving you my TL;DR to spare you that wall of text ;p

He is Thor, and he is the thunder personified. You just gotta take it in good faith.

#134 Posted by Chimeroid (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcdavid: Now that is the reply i like, here have a follower :D Anyhow does he still have followers in the continuity? (not a big Thor reader)

#136 Posted by mcdavid (434 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcdavid: Now that is the reply i like, here have a follower :D Anyhow does he still have followers in the continuity? (not a big Thor reader)

Haha, thanks >.<

Er, like I said he is recently seen being prayed to on another planet by some random aliens in Thor: God Of Thunder, the story arc that just ended in mid 2014. I think there has been a few more instances like that during the silver / bronze age but it's obviously been retconned now. There's also some recent instances of him helping out third world civilians after they prayed to the gods for rain. So it would seem to suggest Thor can currently still hear prayers addressed to weather-based divinities, even if they don't exactly belong to the Norse pantheon.

He isn't really the worship kind of god though. If I remember correctly, he used to often visit and help Vikings during their battles throughout their golden age but stopped helping them once he saw them murdering and pillaging innocent christians. That is at this point that he withdrew himself from humanity, grew arrogant and then got kicked down to earth as a mortal by his father, lol.

He knows his days of being worshiped on earth are essentially over, but he still seem to take pride in aiding and helping those that pray to him with old-fashioned requests like making it rain, or splitting a plain in half to protect a village from being attacked by warlords living on the other side.

However he still seems fairly popular in the other 8 realms under the guard of the asgardians (Thor's Pantheon) . Most of these other 8 worlds are populated by mythological creatures as well, and although the vast majority are no way near the same level as the asgardians, it probably be wiser to argue that the other realms view them a bit more as nobility and kingship than actual gods. It's kinda somewhere in between. A feudal, caste system if you like.

So all in all he doesn't exactly has followers anymore per se, but he still has his moments where he is clearly depicted as something godly.

#137 Edited by TheGodofThunder (675 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is my God.

#138 Edited by JCG79 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he's not nearly mysterious and stand-offish enough to quality as a god. He's just a superhero with an exotic origin.

Bast in Black Panther for example is much more god-like, but it also does not interact with mortals that much.

#139 Posted by seekquaze (724 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel bad for bumping this but... If Thor is a god of thunder and lightning would that mean that there would be no more lightning on earth if he died? If it doesn't what classifies him as a god? The pure fact he is from Asgard? That would just make him an alien.

I thought I would throw in my two cents to this.

It is true that many writers portray Thor and other gods as not that different from other superpowered beings or superpowerful races. But a few writers especially in recent years have bothered to sketch out some traits gods possess that separate them from other beings. These traits are only brought up in stories where they matter.

Thor and Asgardians possess many of the traits one associates with godhood: ability to hear prayers that isn't telepathy, virtual immortality, control of an afterlife and over nature, beings of unexplainable magic, etc. Beyond that all gods possess an divine power or energy other beings lack. This is a power that the godhunter Desak and iirc Gorr the God Butcher both sought out to distinguish gods from other superpowered beings. Gods have some sort of spiritual connection with mortals, that while they are not dependent on for their continue existence and power nor does it define them, grants them a form of resurrective immortality as long as they are sufficiently remembered. If a god is remembered enough they may eventually resurrect on their own if killed. Some recent stories have toyed with the idea that gods do not have definite histories, but are stories and symbolism given form so while their stories may sound contradictory or implausible virtually all of them are "true" in one form or another as any scientific fact. This symbolism is shown in some ways by Ares and Thor. Ares has been stated to be a physical manifestation of war everywhere throughout time. Thor is on some level connected to every storm on Earth if not beyond. A mutant like Storm or Iceman may possess power over the weather, but they are not gods because they lack these other attributes.

For a better comparison, Earth's Eternals have been mistaken as gods in the past and have physical and energy powers and immortality on par with many gods. Yet they always insist that they are not gods and treat gods as separate beings. They usually draw the difference in being that Eternals are creatures of super-science compared to the magical nature of the gods. They also lack many of the other attributes of gods that make the gods gods.

Even if a being is physically more powerful than a god it would not make said being a god because they lack these attributes. Heck, Galactus once called it a failing of mortals to think that power alone is what made one a god and Galactus usually insist that he is not one despite having many traits one would think a god would possess. Some characters in the comics may insist that Thor and others like him are only aliens no different than any other from outerspace or not gods at all. In this case they would be wrong since they are traits all gods in marvel have demonstrated to share and beings as high as Galactus and Eternity have confirmed it.

@jcg79 said:

No, he's not nearly mysterious and stand-offish enough to quality as a god. He's just a superhero with an exotic origin.

Bast in Black Panther for example is much more god-like, but it also does not interact with mortals that much.

Being mysterious and stand-offish does not make or break a god. A he is the same basic type of creature as Bast the Black Panther worships so that makes him a god. In the old stories, Thor would regularly come down to Earth and interact with mortals just like the Greek Gods. This familiarity did not change the fact that they are gods.

@mcdavid said:

However he still seems fairly popular in the other 8 realms under the guard of the asgardians (Thor's Pantheon) . Most of these other 8 worlds are populated by mythological creatures as well, and although the vast majority are no way near the same level as the asgardians, it probably be wiser to argue that the other realms view them a bit more as nobility and kingship than actual gods. It's kinda somewhere in between. A feudal, caste system if you like.

I think this is a good way of putting it. Thor and the rest of the Asgardians are still considered gods by the other eight realms because that is what they are just as giants are giants and dwarves are dwarves. But they are held in less reverence. Many of the other inhabitants of the nine worlds are as physically and sometimes as magically powerful as the gods and at least as advanced if not in some ways more so. So the gulf between them and the gods is less so the same awe Asgard inspired in mortals it does not inspire in the other eight realms, but it does not change the fact that the Asgaridans still possess the attributes that make them gods that the other inhabitants of the nine worlds lack.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.