Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Is Thor powerful enough to destroy a star or planet?

• 77 results
    Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

just like the question above.Can he?^

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

I don't think he can without going berserk or some other kind of altered stat that boost his power.

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@Teerack said:

I don't think he can without going berserk or some other kind of altered stat that boost his power.

So he can not like destroy our Sun?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Veshark

According to the Marvel Wiki (which cites it as Thor #388), Thor once cracked the armor of a Celestial with one blow, and the resulting shockwave nearly destroyed the planet Pangoria - had Thor not stopped it. The page goes on to say that Thor has also destroyed stars, planets, and moons with his fists, citing these feats as being from Omega Flight #4.

I've never read any of those issues so I can't verify them, so take from that what you will.

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@Veshark said:

According to the Marvel Wiki (which cites it as Thor #388), Thor once cracked the armor of a Celestial with one blow, and the resulting shockwave nearly destroyed the planet Pangoria - had Thor not stopped it. The page goes on to say that Thor has also destroyed stars, planets, and moons with his fists, citing these feats as being from Omega Flight #4.

I've never read any of those issues so I can't verify them, so take from that what you will.

is it canon

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Veshark

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@Veshark said:

is it canon

Yeah, they're canon. But I guess you can't really determine that that's what happened unless you actually read the issues yourself (or if someone posts scans).

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@Veshark said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@Veshark said:

is it canon

Yeah, they're canon. But I guess you can't really determine that that's what happened unless you actually read the issues yourself (or if someone posts scans).

you didn't read it

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Veshark

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@Veshark said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@Veshark said:

is it canon

you didn't read it

Nope, just quoted it from Marvel Wiki

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@Veshark said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@Veshark said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@Veshark said:

is it canon

you didn't read it

Nope, just quoted it from Marvel Wiki

i assume this is the scan and in omega flight tho'rs an horse?..

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

Well first of, what kind of planet or star? Some are considerably bigger than others, some are considerably denser than others and so on. Its like asking if Bruce Lee can lift up an animal. I mean animal? Some animals are the size of a mouse, some the size of a cat, some the size of a pig, some the size of a horse, some of the size of a blue whale. Except even then, the scale differences between some stars and planets make the size difference between a mouse and whale look non existent.

Secondly, whatever your answer above doesn't really matter. Thor is fictional, and not just a normal fictional character, but a fictional character designed to be very powerful in ways that purposely leave him vague and ambiguous in power. His power is designed to fluctuate to fit the story. His strength, durability, and speed are all inconsistent and basically best defined as deus ex machina. So can Thor destroy a planet? Well anything that can build up enough speed to impact an object and overcome its threshold for stability will destroy it, so the answer will always be yes or no or depends - since Thor's travel speed and throwing speed, his durability and willingness to throw himself or his hammer are relative and so are the sizes and make ups of planets and stars are as well.

bootstrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bootstrap

You can see more scans and a very similar discussion on

http://www.comicvine.com/thor/29-2268/how-strong-is-the-godblast/92-574394/

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Veshark

I really have no idea, buddy, I just quoted the Marvel Wiki.

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@SC said:

Well first of, what kind of planet or star? Some are considerably bigger than others, some are considerably denser than others and so on. Its like asking if Bruce Lee can lift up an animal. I mean animal? Some animals are the size of a mouse, some the size of a cat, some the size of a pig, some the size of a horse, some of the size of a blue whale. Except even then, the scale differences between some stars and planets make the size difference between a mouse and whale look non existent.

Secondly, whatever your answer above doesn't really matter. Thor is fictional, and not just a normal fictional character, but a fictional character designed to be very powerful in ways that purposely leave him vague and ambiguous in power. His power is designed to fluctuate to fit the story. His strength, durability, and speed are all inconsistent and basically best defined as deus ex machina. So can Thor destroy a planet? Well anything that can build up enough speed to impact an object and overcome its threshold for stability will destroy it, so the answer will always be yes or no or depends - since Thor's travel speed and throwing speed, his durability and willingness to throw himself or his hammer are relative and so are the sizes and make ups of planets and stars are as well.

well does Thor have the power to destroy our sun and planet

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SC said:

well does Thor have the power to destroy our sun and planet

I sort of feel like you did not read all of my post perhaps, since I already answered that part in my second paragraph, but to reiterate, yes, no, and depends. Throwing anything that has mass near the speed of light is traditionally a good way to destroy anything. Then again throwing anything that has mass near the speed of light has been traditionally a rare occurrence, an as far as humanoids being the things doing the throwing and what they throwing being visible to the human eye non existent. Then again Thor is fictional and like many fictional characters they can do whatever they want as per creative direction. Thor has spoke in space before. Thats even stranger than being able to destroy a planet relatively speaking.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fifthchild

@Veshark said:

The Celestial armour cracking scene involved Thor wearing his belt of strength and gauntlets etc IIRC. I dont think it almost destroyed the planet but it did shake mountains etc. I doubt the valdity of the second reference if only because if Thor had destroyed a star, planet or moon with his bare hands we would have seen it posted time and time again.

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sommyt

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

just like the question above.Can he?^

thor hit brb so hard he destroyed the planet they where on

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Thor has destroyed a planet, so has bill,, heralds have destroyed stars and Thor and Bill are At least average to high herald level and have beaten nearly all of them. Drax the destroyer has also destroyed a planet and a star gladiator has destroyed a planet and has claims of destroying a star and a black hole with his hands and Thor's at least as strong as either of them.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By THORSON

yes

Avatar image for ultrasupertrooper
    UltraSuperTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes i believe so

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

IIRC Thor has destroyed planets and had blasts capable of destroying planets.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Saren

@Veshark said:

The page goes on to say that Thor has also destroyed stars, planets, and moons with his fists, citing these feats as being from Omega Flight #4.

Thor doesn't even appear in Omega Flight #4, so I'm at a loss as to how he cleaved such a path of cosmic destruction in that issue.

Hell, that mini was part of the fallout from Civil War, so Thor was probably still dead at the time.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Veshark

@CitizenBane said:

@Veshark said:

The page goes on to say that Thor has also destroyed stars, planets, and moons with his fists, citing these feats as being from Omega Flight #4.

Thor doesn't even appear in Omega Flight #4, so I'm at a loss as to how he cleaved such a path of cosmic destruction in that issue.

Hell, that mini was part of the fallout from Civil War, so Thor was probably still dead at the time.

BECAUSE HE'S THOR GAWDAMNIT.

Lol, well there goes the second reference I guess. Just goes to show you can never trust the Marvel Wiki....

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sommyt

@CitizenBane said:

@Veshark said:

it wasnt Thor it was beta ray bill that made that statement in omega flight

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
    Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's destroyed a portal which dwarfed stars with the help of BRB.

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@Fernando072295REBORN said:

Thor's destroyed a portal which dwarfed stars with the help of BRB.

which issue is that?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By New_World_Order

@Thor's hammmer said:

Thor has destroyed a planet, so has bill,, heralds have destroyed stars and Thor and Bill are At least average to high herald level and have beaten nearly all of them. Drax the destroyer has also destroyed a planet and a star gladiator has destroyed a planet and has claims of destroying a star and a black hole with his hands and Thor's at least as strong as either of them.

Thor & Beta Ray Bill are more powerful than every herald. Except Silver Surfer.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HaveAtThee

Yes, Thor is a planet-busting powerhouse if motivated/angry enough. Being a hero, you probably wouldn't see him do it intentionally, unless it was some desolate hunk of rock in some far away universe. If the Surfer can, Thor can.

FOSTINOE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

yes Thor can

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes he can.. shockwaves of his blows cracking moons/planets far away while hitting Gor

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony said:

yup. and mjolnir contains the energy of a long dead star which can be unleashed in a lorne bolt.

Lorne bolt?

No Caption Provided

He doesn't actually use it Sunfire destroys the station not sure how powerful it actually is

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Lvenger

According to what is stated about the Lorn bolt, it was only described as a city busting attack, not a planetary or star attack.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I'd assume so yea though that's the only time I've ever heard it mentioned don't know much about it other than it uses the energy of a star

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By statements, yeah. By feats? Planet, maybe.

FOSTINOE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FOSTINOE

By statements, yeah.

By statements. Yh. he's "easily" a star buster..."potentially" more

By feats? Planet, maybe.

Evidently Multiplanetary....potentially more

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
    deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was stated in another scan that mjolnir could draw the power of 1000 suns,perhaps it may be a hyperbole anyway to forge mjolnir a star had to be destroyed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themultiversity
    TheMultiversity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A planet is likely, however, a star isn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: can u post the next scan after he tries to summon the lorn bolt?

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes easily planet plus star more then likely

Shakes 8 ball

Yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of the retcon of mjolnir he could potentially bust a star.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: thanks for the scan,can u post where Thor does it to surtur and Ymir.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.