Is it just me or is Thor better off as a Demi-God?

#1 Posted by warewolf577 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

When i first saw Thor i thought he was perfect AS A DEMI-GOD.

I don't think Thor should be a full god, if so..Why hasn't Earth's religion changed for everyone?

I think Thor is better if he was a demi-god with lightning powers.

#2 Posted by TrueMarvel (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is a greater god then Odin.

also Thor is from actual norse mythology.

#3 Posted by Asagod (290 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. He's better as a god IMO.

He is the god of thunder not demi-god of thunder.

#4 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@warewolf577 said:

I don't think Thor should be a full god, if so..Why hasn't Earth's religion changed for everyone?

Demi- Gods are half human -half God like hercules, Thor has never been a demi- god ever although he has been referenced in the past as such. His father is Odin and mother is Gaea/mother Earth which makes him a full blooded God.

#5 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@Asagod: lol ..thors mom is an elder goddess that's just sick .y would I stead want a human for a mom

#6 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: exactly my thoughts

#7 Posted by THORSON (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

thor was never a demi-god.

#8 Posted by warewolf577 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

You all aren't listening. I know he's not a demi-god, I said he's better of being one. Being a full god and fighting mortals is just silly.

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually Thor's birth mother is an Elder God, I think they're missing a huge opportunity by ignoring that part of his origin.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@warewolf577: You don't seem to get the fact that the gods of Asgard aren't like the all powerful beings people think of when they here the word God. Even in the Mythology they were always more grounded than the gods of other religions.

#11 Posted by THORSON (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

@warewolf577 said:

You all aren't listening. I know he's not a demi-god, I said he's better of being one. Being a full god and fighting mortals is just silly.

how?

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not like he's fighting random humans. For the most part Thor deals with villains that are on pretty much equal ground with him in some aspect.

#13 Posted by SC (12697 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many definitions of the term and label god. The origins of the word are basically believed to mean to invoke and call upon. Basically pray and worship. Its not a really hard criteria to fit. Plus if you want to get technical all things are probably mortal. I mean Galactus is going to live the lifetime of a Universe plus a little extra, but even he is going to die, and other versions of him have died. Galactus is subject to death, hence he is mortal. Just to a creature that only lives 80 years 40 or so billion years seems like forever. Not unreasonable grounds to call something living that long immortal. So Thor will eventually die too. Odin will. The Earth will. How long something can live has no bearing on how powerful something is either.

#14 Posted by TheCannon (17900 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is wrong in so many ways...

#15 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

#16 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

It's weird!

#17 Posted by Thorcules (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@THORSON said:

thor was never a demi-god.

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thorcules: He's Demi Asgardian since his mom is an elder goddess

#19 Posted by Thorcules (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Thorcules: He's Demi Asgardian since his mom is an elder goddess

Well I suppose he is a Demi after all :P lol

#20 Posted by Pyrogram (35097 posts) - - Show Bio

@warewolf577 said:

It's just you..

#21 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: He is not a demi anything, demi is a greek term for half god. he is half asgardian and half elder god.
#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Epicbeast3000: I know I was being a smart ass

#23 Posted by Pyrogram (35097 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Epicbeast3000: I know I was being a smart ass

heeheh

#24 Posted by New_World_Order (12507 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is potentially greater than Odin, and Gaea so, a god is good.

#25 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Lol
#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Epicbeast3000: Tho if you stay with the theory that Asgardians aren't actually gods then he would technically be a Demi god since his Mother is an actual Elder god.

#27 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Well he is not a demi god, since his mom is a elder GOD.  He is a demi asgardian, if you might. But not a demigod. Since both his parents had no human blood.
#28 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

@warewolf577: I get whaat your saying. He functions better on earth and as the Avengers as a demi-god.

But the flaw is that if he is named Thor he has to be a god. The whole point of the character is that he is based on the Norse God Thor. He's the marvel version of the God of Thunder. So I don't see how you can change that without using a new character or simply someone that is not Thor

#29 Posted by Pyrogram (35097 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

@warewolf577: I get whaat your saying. He functions better on earth and as the Avengers as a demi-god.

But the flaw is that if he is named Thor he has to be a god. The whole point of the character is that he is based on the Norse God Thor. He's the marvel version of the God of Thunder. So I don't see how you can change that without using a new character or simply someone that is not Thor

This basically!

#30 Edited by Jacksper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor was made Donald Drake when his pride spiked too high, and thus it was more of a punishment. I think that perhaps the idea of him being weaker to fight weaker foes is appealing so that it keeps his feats in a consistent light of some kind, but on the other hand. If the strongest man on earth (I mean in the real word) were to get into a fight with a below average guy, the truth is he would have to pull his punches in order not to hurt him and he shouldn't have to be made less in strength just because he is challenged by weaker people.

Same goes with Thor, he is protecting earth, he is not a street level hero either. In the TV shows he is really only seen fighting Super villains, unlike heroes like Spider-Man who fight your average thug on a regular basis. But still as the protector of Earth, you don't choose your enemies, you just have to be prepared for whatever comes at you.

#31 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

How exactly does changing his title make him a better character?

#32 Posted by Darthnowell (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicbeast3000: Demi god doesn't only mean half-god, it can also mean a minor god or a god of lesser power.

#33 Posted by Oscars94 (2323 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is an half Asgardian and half Elder God! I never read a comic in which he was a demigod.

#34 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him just being a god

#35 Posted by THORSON (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

its you.

in norse mythology THOR is nearly beyond the powers of zeus, if not greater.

Marvel treats THOR like nothing and i'm not sure why.

#36 Posted by cameron83 (6641 posts) - - Show Bio

@asagod said:

#37 Posted by HaveAtThee (492 posts) - - Show Bio

[sarcasm]Great thread.[/sarcasm]

#38 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is a greater god then Odin.

also Thor is from actual norse mythology.

@asagod said:

@asagod said:

@TheCannon said:

(All this. ^^^^)

#39 Posted by Farkam (4798 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by MaccyD (3547 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Enyalios (141 posts) - - Show Bio

: @thorson:

Thor is NEVER shown to be on par with, much less beyond the powers of Zeus in mythology in any way. Zeus is more powerful than the combined might of his entire pantheon, which includes all five of his elder siblings. This is stated as fact in the myths and demonstrated multiple times when they try to overthrow him. Thor may be the single most powerful member of his pantheon (and that's a big 'may be' since the myths never compare him to Odin), but the combined might of the rest of the Aesir will bring him down. Thor's biggest threat was the Midgard Serpent, which he was never able to beat until the end, which cost him his own life. Zeus's by contrast was Typhon, the largest and most powerful of monsters, fathered by Gaia, and bigger than the Midgard Serpent even by description. When confronted with Typhon all the other gods ran except for Zeus (and Athena in some versions once she realized that Zeus was not running). Zeus slammed him with a hundred lightning bolts and dropped a mountain on him and went back home. Find any feat of Thor in the myths and I guarantee Zeus has one to beat it.

@darthnowell

Demigod is not a lesser god, it is either a half-god half human or a human who has risen to the rank of god through various means. Lesser gods have other terms, such as daemons, semideus, etc.

As to the topic, no Thor is not better off as a demigod. His origin does not support it and while he sometimes fights mortal foes, this is in keeping with the mythological roots of the character, who fought all manner for foes that were a threat to mankind. If they were mortal, oh well, they were just good enough to get his attention. Hercules, by the way is also not a demigod, not anymore at least. His mortal half was stripped from him and became its own separate being (in the myths as well as in the comics) upon his death. Marvel could play around with demigod characters (I always thought a modern child of Zeus would be an interesting concept) but DC beat them to it with Wonder Girl and now Wonder Woman after the reboot.

#42 Posted by Enyalios (141 posts) - - Show Bio

@warewolf577:

Also, why would everyone's religion change? There are some who acknowledge that Thor is a god and worship him, just as there are those that worship some of the other gods, but that's just it, multiple gods exist in the realm of comics, not just Thor, and even Thor acknowledges the Judeo-Christian god as being real. Just like the real world, in the realm of comics, much of mankind has moved beyond their perceived need of divine guidance, with most apathetic towards gods, not really caring if they exist or not. And with multiple beings of mortal origin (Sentry, Hulk, Genis Vell, etc) acknowledged as being on par with some gods in various aspects, why would a couple running around really change your mind, especially when in the realm of comics we have been seeing beings do crazy crap for centuries and is stated fact at least as far back as pre-WWII?

#43 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear god no

#44 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1556 posts) - - Show Bio

By this logic you may as well ask why people don't change religions when they see Galactus or some other Cosmic Entity or Omega Level Mutant shaping the world.

#45 Posted by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor isn't a demigod nor should he ever be.

Thor is a full-god.

#46 Posted by sagejonathan (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

Religion hasn't changed in the Marvel Universe because these gods like Thor aren't the ultimate entities that people believe in like TOAA. God in the sense of Thor is more of a title. That being said, him being a demi-god is an awful idea.

HE IS THE GOD OF THUNDER!

#47 Posted by Darthnowell (51 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.