Is Gorr the God Butcher Also Gorr the Kronan?

#1 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I've been making a return to comic book reading recently, and one of the books I've decided to follow is Thor's Marvel NOW! run. For those who haven't read the first three issues, there will be some spoilers here, so avert your eyes if you're sensitive about that kind of stuff.

Seriously, look away now. Last warning.

I mean it.

Okay. Anyway. Gorr the God Butcher. By all appearances, he is a character new to the Marvel NOW! (man, I even hate typing that) run, except a very little amount of digging will turn up another Gorr, one that appeared as a villain for Thor. Now, they don't sound like the same person (Gorr the Kronan was, for example, a rock man from Saturn), but how likely is it to have two characters named Gorr, of all things, in the Marvel universe? Hell, let's take it a step further. How likely is it that two of Thor's antagonists would be named Gorr? Now, this has probably already been discussed before, but I figured I'd raise the question for my own benefit, if not for anyone else:

Is Gorr the God Butcher also Gorr the Kronan, or is that just a really, really odd repetition of exceptionally unique names?

As a secondary question, any theories on when the hell we're gonna see Loki?

#2 Posted by SC (13145 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe they are definitely different characters unless possibly the writer is purposefully misleading readers. Bear in mind Gorr well... its really just a writer trick thats common as taking a threatening dangeros sounding word and spelling it alienishly so we get a brutal sounding name thats not too cartoony. Gore = Gorr, Terror = Ter Rah, Hell = H'el, Scary = Scy Rai etc recently Ex Nihilo has become a popular bad guy name. Great observation too.

#3 Posted by Joygirl (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but he did play one on TV.

#4 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: I can totally see where you're coming from, but I sincerely hope he didn't choose a threatening sounding name without doing some research on the history of said name, especially in relation to the character he was creating the villain for.

#5 Posted by fps_dean (255 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering the same thing for a moment, but I am pretty sure they are two separate characters, especially the way they provided their history with young Thor.

#6 Posted by EdBlank (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Saturn is a ball of gas. No one can be "from" it. they would sink through the gas til they hit the core and be crushed to the size of a ping pong ball in the process.

#7 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank: Thank you. I shall be sure to mention this to the comic book writers of the '80s.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.