Is Chris Hemsworth as Thor the new Hugh Jackman as Wolverine?

#1 Posted by Spectacular_Iceman (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm an aussie myself - and if I'm not mistaken, America likes to take in Aussie's to their world of Box office. Not only that, Americans like to thing that we Australian's keep Kangaroos in our backyard, give it a rest. Anyways, I remember reading on the reaction to Hugh Jackman being cast as Wolverine - that must've been rough. All of a sudden, he becomes a freakin' star - Now, let's look at Chris Hemsworth - After Thor, he did become very popular - But not as popular as Hugh Jackman. In my opinion, Hemsworth didn't receive that much attention probably because Wolverine is more popular than Thor, but he eventually will grab fans attention and become a yet-another aussie star...

#2 Posted by Thorgoki (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I love him as Thor!

#3 Edited by Dernman (14726 posts) - - Show Bio

No because I didn't like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

I don' see why everyone excepts Jackman as Wolverine,  Jackmans a great actor and all but he is just doesn't do it for me as Wolverine...he is too nice or something

Also, not to be a hater, but I think they could have taken any big, blonde dude and made him Thor

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Hugh was too pretty, chris may be a prettied up Thor, but Thor isn't a hairy little man with a drinking problem.

#6 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thorgoki said:

I love him as Thor!
#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Hugh's too much of a sweetheart to be Wolverine. Hemsworth is believable as hell.

And for the record, I'm American, and I don't think Australians keep kangaroos in their backyards....

#8 Posted by jerz211 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I always felt Hemsworth was a little too small for Thor. I think Arnie in Conan the Barbarian was a right size for the Asgardian.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hemsworth is a great Thor!

I think he's been well cast as and does a great job in the role. I hope he remains "Thor" for and and all appropriate Marvel movies.

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's a fantastic Thor.

#11 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

The kangaroo comment was stupid, because we believe Australians keep them in their family rooms. You can have Hugh Jackman back.

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe said:

You can have Hugh Jackman back.

this..You can take Nicole Kidman and Russel Crowe too. We're keeping Mel Gibson though....that guy is tons of fun.....
#13 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because Hugh Jackman as Wolverine made a bigger impact in pop culture,and in general... overall IMO 

Though Hemsworth is a great Thor. 
All these weirdos talking about they don't see Hugh as Wolverine are screwed in the head, because It's obvious he was born to play him.I can't see anyone playing him at this moment.Until Hugh gets old, wrinkly, and all farted out, then He IS Logan.Another thing is,everybody needs to get over the got damn height issue..lol 
and the "Too pretty" thing, because we all Wolverine has had plenty of chicks through the years.. I mean he has to have something going for him.I never thought Wolvie was suppsoe to be straight up ugly,just short and rugged....Okay maybe if that's your taste <<<  LMAO
Hemsworth So far is doing his job right.Hugh Jackman just didn't instantly become known as THE Wolverine,It took time over the course of the X-films to prove that his mantle was solidified  .. BTW which aren't even done yet because FOX is still pumping out great movies. 

Though Chris definitely has "the look"  of Thor and is dedicated  to his portrayal,and that is all that matters. :)

#14 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500: No one said Hugh Jackman was too pretty for the role. Although, you would have to look closely at the cast and you're sort of left wondering. For instance:

• Halle Berry couldn't pull off an accent to save her life.
  • James Mardsen for the crying scenes, which were pretty badass!
  • I don't know what Famke Janssen's purpose was in the films, actually (I suppose she's the Carrie-Anne Moss of the mutant franchise): her scenes were pretty devoid of emotion and I just couldn't invest myself in the character.
  • Anna Paquin was an all right Rogue, but it wasn't believable such a whiny, useless character could possibly go toe-to-toe with someone like Ms. Marvel and succeed.
  • I could go all day, 24/7.

So of course with all those big name actors in such a "great" trilogy, it made Hugh Jackman's portrayal of a softer, intelligent Wolverine pretty multi-faceted despite the fact he's just a romantic interest actor. But you're right, he's dreamy.

#15 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: LOL It's all throughout the this topic, All i see is complaints of him being too tall or too pretty ,or lacking something for the role. 

BTW Do you know what an actual Kenyan sounds like? 
Halle had a Kenyan accent ,and it wasn't off and on.If you listen to her dialect she had it. What did you expect, her to be overzealous and loud with it like the 90's cartoon.I mean I could complain that Hemsworth as Thor didn't use enough ye,thou and verily in his vocabulary.The fact still remains that his performance was believable. 
James Mardsen had the perfect look for Cyke,and when he wasn't crying his heart out and actually giving orders to the team,he felt like The Boy scout himself. 

Anna Paquin was fine for me. I just seen her as a younger less developed Rogue with confidence issues.Hell even in the comics when Rogue first joined the team,she still had her demons and was still trying to come into herself.She's always had a certain complex toward herself because of her powers.I was eventually thinking Anna would grow into the role.

The thing about these movie characters is that you cant look at them and see them as earth 616, because personally when I  look at the movie X-men I see some of their ultimate versions ,or a mix of both mainstream and ultimate.Same for the Avengers. 

I think people go into these movies with waaaay too much of what (THEIR STANDARD (<<biased) should be.When you have to realize this is a unique or different take on the characters so that they can  relate to everyone else,and not just Comicbook fans alone.That is the goal,in reaching other people too ,expnading fanbases. 

I mean most people  here are pro marvel, and so am I .A lot of people are still bitter because Fox won't give the rights back to Marvel,but before Marvel even announced they had a new Studios on the way, people weren't damn complaining then....were they?  

Answer: NO

We were just happy to see out favorite heroes come to life. 
#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because Hemsworth does his role better

#17 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500: I worked with three Kenyans. It was a mockery of an accent. Rogue left more to be desired, what with all of her history erased to fill the damsel in distress spot. Cyclops is supposed to be a brilliant fighter, and his leadership was rather poor. In fact, did any of the actors resemble the characters at all? No. God, no. You... you didn't enjoy Fantastic Four, too, did you?

But back to Hemsworth, we'll keep him. He was rising before Thor, anyway.

#18 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe:  All I'm going to say is that Storm could possibly  sound like a number of things.she had such a mixed culture  that she shouldn't just sound really one way at all.Though her accent was Kenyan,just because she didn't have a thick accent like some of the ones you've worked doesn't mean that it wasn't Kenyan. That's just like saying someone from japan whose been here since they were 15  didn't sound Japanese enough,and now they're like 43 -___- 

That was really ignorant as to seeing how All Kenyans don't sound the same,just like all Americans don't sound the same. Northerners clearly speak and sound differently from Southerners,or some people from the West coast or Mid west, Yet we all come from the same countries.Tell me my friend,do you know how many tribes there are in Kenya? 

How many different languages they speak there.Did you know Storm was fluent in Afro-Asiatic languages, she can speak Swahili, Arabic and English fluently.I found nothing wrong with Halle's accent,and i'd prefer if she'd kept it.It made her seem ore authentic. Though it 's not her fault..so can't cry over spilled milk. 

I mean should i expect Cap to talk like he came straight outta 1945???? 

Come on maaaan. 

Cyclops was definitely portrayed within character.It's just that he got snubbed off screen so much to Wolverine. 

BTW I enjoyed the first F4 movie :)
#19 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500: Did Storm forget her accent between takes? That's pretty good. Captain America speaking like he's from the 40s? Now you're just being coy.

What did you like about Fantastic Four? I think Ioan Gruffudd got Reed Richards' enthusiasm and likeness down, however he came off as a bit too naive. It was the film's saving grace.

I think that if I could completely reboot X-Men and Fantastic Four, I'd go for all unknown actors and big name stars as extras.

My friend once told me, "I don't like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. They should have gotten [some drummer from some band] to play him."

I asked him, "But can he act?"

He said, "He's badass!"

I never wanted to falcon punch him so hard in my life.

#20 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe:  

Did Storm forget her accent between takes? 

Again it was there....THE WHOLE MOVIE.  

-____________- 

Captain America speaking like he's from the 40s? Now you're just being coy. 

^__________^ 

What did you like about Fantastic Four? I think Ioan Gruffudd got Reed Richards' enthusiasm and likeness down, however he came off as a bit too naive. It was the film's saving grace. 

I agree with everything outside of the bold.I loved Michael Chiklis as the Thing BTW

I'm still having a hard time deciding if Chris Evan was a better Johnny or Steve..lol 
Because for the longest he was the still the hot headed boy from F4..To see him transition from Human Torch to Capt.... felt awkward. 
Though the thing I liked about the films it that it really captured the closeness and family dynamic of the team.They had there differences at first,but after all of the drama with Ben loosing his powers and what not and blaming it on Reed,Sue and Reed reconciling..and Johnny being Johnny.It was overall pretty good  

The plot was pretty solid too.The second one could have had potential,but really It had too much going on.The only thing I  loved about the second one was SS. 

Great teamwork might i add.
#21 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500: I didn't particularly like Chris Evans as Captain America, but I also found him too annoying to be the Torch. And I need to get ready for work, so thanks for the conversation.

#22 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe:  Welcome 

Fun talking with you. (:
#23 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Iamlovewithin500 said:

No, because Hugh Jackman as Wolverine made a bigger impact in pop culture,and in general... overall IMO 

Though Hemsworth is a great Thor. 
All these weirdos talking about they don't see Hugh as Wolverine are screwed in the head, because It's obvious he was born to play him.I can't see anyone playing him at this moment.Until Hugh gets old, wrinkly, and all farted out, then He IS Logan.Another thing is,everybody needs to get over the got damn height issue..lol 
and the "Too pretty" thing, because we all Wolverine has had plenty of chicks through the years.. I mean he has to have something going for him.I never thought Wolvie was suppsoe to be straight up ugly,just short and rugged....Okay maybe if that's your taste <<<  LMAO
Hemsworth So far is doing his job right.Hugh Jackman just didn't instantly become known as THE Wolverine,It took time over the course of the X-films to prove that his mantle was solidified  .. BTW which aren't even done yet because FOX is still pumping out great movies.  Though Chris definitely has "the look"  of Thor and is dedicated  to his portrayal,and that is all that matters. :)
I'm a big fan of some of the X-Movies and I do believe they have some of the best casting out of all comic movies...the issue with Jackman isn't that he is too "pretty"...although, the  height issue does bother me a bit, Logan is called Wolverine for a reason...

The issue I have is that in the comics where Wolverine was popularized, specifically the stories written by Claremont and Miller in the 80's Wolverine was kind of a jerk, a noble jerk, but a jerk nonetheless. He was one of the first anti heroes.

In the Singer directed X-Men films (the first two) Jckman channeled Wolverine a lot better. After Singer left and Jackman was insanely famous...its obvious he began to "micro-manage" the role in X3 and Origins:Wolverine as Logan was a lot more heroic, smarter, and well...nicer. I just thought he would act out of character sometimes...likely to be kid friendly to attract a bigger audience for more $

I am not saying I dislike Jackman in the role...but I would not say he is Wolverine
#24 Edited by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle:  Agreed.I believe he portrayed Wolverine much better in the first two movies,though I think we can all agree a lot of things went left when Singer left.. 
I wonder how "The Wolverine" will do? 

I hope he's more truer to the comicbook essence of himself.
#25 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Iamlovewithin500 said:
@cattlebattle:  Agreed.I believe he portrayed Wolverine much better in the first two movies,though I think we can all agree a lot of things went left when Singer left.. I wonder how "The Wolverine" will do?  I hope he's more truer to the cocmibook essence of himself.
People working on the movie have said it will be darker...which is good.
#26 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@Iamlovewithin500 said:
@cattlebattle:  Agreed.I believe he portrayed Wolverine much better in the first two movies,though I think we can all agree a lot of things went left when Singer left.. I wonder how "The Wolverine" will do?  I hope he's more truer to the cocmibook essence of himself.
People working on the movie have said it will be darker...which is good.
 That's definitiely a step from that last abomination
#27 Posted by odinblast (30 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he's a great Thor

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.