Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8585 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

In Thor TDW, why didn't he hit Kurse with a God Blast?

GoldKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GoldKing

....like he did to Captain America's Shield and the Bifrost bridge at the end of the first 'Thor' film? Sure, he tried throwing Mjolnir at him and stuff, but he never tried to hit him with his most powerful attack.

No Caption Provided

And even if Kurse would have been able to dodge it, all Thor would've had to do then was hit the ground and that would've at least blown him back and sent him flying (like he did to the Frost Giants in the first film). Wouldn't have killed him but it would've bought Thor and Loki time to get away or whatever.

But just imagine.... as Loki is distracting Kurse, Thor lands an epic God-Blast strike right to his forehead. It would've been interesting to see the outcome of that.

No Caption Provided

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

christopher yost.

yes that is my answer.

or probably because it would have killed him and then it would have been difficult to make up the Loki parts. so it kind of made sense to not allow THOR just come in and kill kurse with a godblast.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

@thorson said:

christopher yost.

yes that is my answer.

or probably because it would have killed him and then it would have been difficult to make up the Loki parts. so it kind of made sense to not allow THOR just come in and kill kurse with a godblast.

Kurse in the comics has proven to be able to take everything Thor can dish out so a God Blast shouldn't have caused him too much of an issue. Also he hasn't used a God Blast in the movies, what he did to Cap's shield was just a powerful lightning bolt reacting to the vibranium in the shield.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Because Kurse was beting him up so hard that Thor wasn't able to do anything and Godblast needs to charge for quite a bit.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor has not used the Godblast in the movies. Those were just really hard hammer strikes. I'm guessing they wanted to show Kurse as being unstoppable so Thor needed Loki to help strike the killing blow, with the added effect of Loki "dying" immediately following. My only complaint about that scene was how Kurse swatted away Mjolnir like it was a toy. Mjolnir will go through anything to return to Thor, but the screenwriters and producers have gone out of their way to make sure Thor isn't really powerful without Mjolnir.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

@haveatthee: Kurse has swatted Thor's hammer away a few times in the comics. He's one of those ridiculously powerful types.

GoldKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mitran @HaveAtThee @joshmightbe

I always thought thought those strikes were God Blasts because of how epically powerful they were (i.e. moreso than anything else Thor ever did; or Mjolnir ever did). Like when he just randomly hit stuff with Mjolnir, it was just like a regular hammer hitting something (albeit with a lot more force). But in those few instances, it was followed by an epic explosion. So... I figured they were God Blasts.

How do you guys know 100% for sure they weren't God Blasts? After all, the marvel cinematic universe has dramatically powered down Thor and everyone else it seems, so perhaps they were God Blasts..... the cinematic version of God blasts. But if not, then what IS an actual God Blast and how powerful is it? What does it look like?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

@goldking: A Godblast takes a while to charge and generally takes Thor time to recover from because it uses vastly mire of his power than any if his lightning based attacks also it looks more like Iron man's unibeam than a lightning blast because its pure energy that travels in a straight line

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Neither of those things were god blasts.

He's never done a god blast in the movie

Also Kurse is suppose to be stronger than Thor and kick his ass.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

He has never used the Godblast in a film and plus Kurse was pummeling Thor I doubt he had even the slightest time to think of anything

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

because the God blast is always a last ditch tactic in case all else fails...in the case of marvel cinematic universe, they may not have thought that a god blast would be anti climatic ya know...it would have done almost as well visually, but the same can be said for how they defeated kurse in the first place,so basically they kinda wrote it out possibly, but that doesnt mean we may not get to see him do a God blast in the up and coming films...

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigcimmerian

@thorson said:

christopher yost.

yes that is my answer.

Kurse in the comics has proven to be able to take everything Thor can dish out so a God Blast shouldn't have caused him too much of an issue. Also he hasn't used a God Blast in the movies, what he did to Cap's shield was just a powerful lightning bolt reacting to the vibranium in the shield.

Thor has defeated Kurse with godblast in comics. He unleashed godblast without Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Because story >> all

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: I didn't read that issue, but I do know he doesn't use god blast often and hasn't used it at all in the movies. BTW sorry if you got to replies from me, the first one disappeared on me.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: I didn't read that issue, but I do know he doesn't use god blast often and hasn't used it at all in the movies. BTW sorry if you got to replies from me, the first one disappeared on me.

I doubt that he even has godblast in movies, he's underpowered as f***k.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

@bigcimmerian: All the movie versions of comic characters seem to be under powered, look at Magneto. In the comics Mags can make the entire EM spetrum of the Earth his bitch, in the movies he had trouble turning a satellite dish.

fero01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

İn movies thor cant lift even cars

tetraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why didn't he use a Godblast? Same reason why he can't even teleport……..Christopher Yost is a consultant.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alak

If I recall correctly, Thor didn't have his hammer in that fight. He was flying after Malekith when Kurse knocked him away, disarming him at the same time. When Thor tried to summon his hammer, Kurse swatted it out of its flight path and proceeded to fight Thor hand-to-hand. It was implied in the first movie that Thor's powers are mainly derived from his hammer. Therefore, in the fight against Kurse, Thor was incapable of using lightning or the Godblast (assuming he knew this technique).

However, in the palace, Thor was able to knock Kurse off balance with a hammer throw as the latter was escaping with Malekith. I believe it's an implication that Thor would have been able to put up a much fairer fight (or even win) had he actually held onto Mjolnir.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak said:

If I recall correctly, Thor didn't have his hammer in that fight. He was flying after Malekith when Kurse knocked him away, disarming him at the same time. When Thor tried to summon his hammer, Kurse swatted it out of its flight path and proceeded to fight Thor hand-to-hand. It was implied in the first movie that Thor's powers are mainly derived from his hammer. Therefore, in the fight against Kurse, Thor was incapable of using lightning or the Godblast (assuming he knew this technique).

However, in the palace, Thor was able to knock Kurse off balance with a hammer throw as the latter was escaping with Malekith. I believe it's an implication that Thor would have been able to put up a much fairer fight (or even win) had he actually held onto Mjolnir.

Pretty much this. Marvel heroes have been greatly simplified in terms of power set in the cinematic universe.

GoldKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GoldKing

@alak said:

Pretty much this. Marvel heroes have been greatly simplified in terms of power set in the cinematic universe.

I hate that. I wish they'd make the heros in the cinematic universe equal to their 616 counterparts in terms of strength, power, etc. I loath how they depower everything.

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Bronze_Surfer

@joshmightbe said:

@thorson said:

christopher yost.

yes that is my answer.

Thor has defeated Kurse with godblast in comics. He unleashed godblast without Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided

Thats not Kurse thats Durok

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bronze_surfer: Thor did bust him up a bit before he became Kurse but ever since Thor's never been able to easily take him down under normal circumstances, maybe OF or Warrior Madness Thor could but outside of that Kurse has been pretty humbling for out Thunder God.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigcimmerian
    Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I'm not arguing whether he can beat Kurse or not I'm just saying that example is not Kurse, it's Durok

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bronze_surfer: Durok > Kurse

Would not know, don't know enough about either except on average they are stronger than thor

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldking said:

@haveatthee said:

@alak said:

I hate that. I wish they'd make the heros in the cinematic universe equal to their 616 counterparts in terms of strength, power, etc. I loath how they depower everything.

They probably feel it would be too "unrealistic" for audiences, or some such nonsense. As if Norse Gods battling Dark Elves in different dimensions is an everyday occurrence.

alexandru84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alexandru84

@goldking: I was more astonished about Kurse deflecting mjolnir. I mean, that being has to be more powerful than Odin, and I'm nos saying in terms of strenght, but magical power. The hammer is immovable by those who are not worthy. Let's say I buy the whole deflection thing, but come on Loki stabs him with a spear??? and after that the strange granade kills him? when it was said by odin that mjolnir's power has no equal! I mean come on Thor should used a light saber instead, at least it cuts through stuff!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.