If Thor Stopped Holding Back?

• 56 results
#1 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Many fans of the character know that Thor withholds his true strength and powers. Thor has stated that he would never use his full strength on mortal's. This would classify all non-god beings. What if he decided to unleash his true power? Where would his enemies stand, would he be feared even more by other heroes? Would they go as far plotting against him out of fear for their lives. Would the Superman debates be debunked? Would it be fair to debate his feats in battle forums if he stopped holding back? Address any of these questions!

#2 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

There are hardly no top tier superheroes that don't hold back in both Marvel and DC. But to satisfy you if Thor stopped holding back he would obliterate the whole multiverse and reality itself.

#3 Edited by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of his enemies arent even "mortals" of him to hold back, i honestly dont see how Thor would fair any better against Mangog, barring the potential plot of godblasting "inside" his mouth.

Avengers on Earth would have been nothing compared to him earlier , had Hickman not introduced couple of powerhouses, specially Kevin Conner, who drawfs Thor in power regardless of him holding back or not.

#4 Posted by SOG7dc (7874 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74:

if you want to see thor stop holding back read the first 11 issues of Thor:god of thunder.

#5 Posted by HaveAtThee (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I would imagine some of his teammates, especially the street-level types, are already fearful of Thor's power if he ever decided to use them for some other reason other than protecting Earth.

#6 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@evilvegeta74:

if you want to see thor stop holding back read the first 11 issues of Thor:god of thunder.

I know what's happening with Thor , I'm actually talking about the full extent of his power being displayed more often! Thank you though!

#7 Edited by SOG7dc (7874 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: No problem bro. But what do you mean by full extent? Like warriors madness? Because he was hitting gorr so hard it was breaking his (Thor's) bones and planet busting. But he did not go into WM

#8 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@evilvegeta74: No problem bro. But what do you mean by full extent? Like warriors madness? Because he was hitting gorr so hard it was breaking his (Thor's) bones and planet busting. But he did not go into WM

Like the whole belt of power which is infused with the Odin force that doubles his strength level as if we really know what that is! God blast, Time travel, etc....... I mean the full scope. I'd like to see more of it, who knows if we will ever see Thor summon the winds of a thousand worlds, like he did in his battle against Glory! I wanna see the Thunderer used in the way he was intended fully at Marvel.

#9 Posted by HaveAtThee (550 posts) - - Show Bio

It would truly have to be a desperate situation if Thor had to unleash the full force of his power. That's something that he should rarely, if ever, have to do. You can say the same thing about any powerhouse.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18363 posts) - - Show Bio

It would truly have to be a desperate situation if Thor had to unleash the full force of his power. That's something that he should rarely, if ever, have to do. You can say the same thing about any powerhouse.

Cough*hulk*cough*

:P

#11 Edited by teddy_the_god_killer (313 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: What gets me is when you read so many biographies and see the phrase "virtually unlimited". If everyone was at full potential the whole mess would be a stalemate. It is such lazy character building, particularly when you see power stats. I hate to say it but at least the DBZ lot can roughly calculate their lot. We have to use hyperbole, tautology, contradictory scans/ stories, PIS, WIS and dodgy Syllogistic logic.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18363 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: What gets me is when you read so many biographies and see the phrase "virtually unlimited". If everyone was at full potential the whole mess would be a stalemate. It is such lazy character building, particularly when you see power stats. I hate to say it but at least the DBZ lot can roughly calculate their lot. We have to use hyperbole, tautology, contradictory scans/ stories, PIS, WIS and dodgy Syllogistic logic.

That's Not really true. hulk having UNLIMITED strength ties to him being marvels Personification of Strength, that doesn't make him unbeatable by any means.

#13 Edited by Pyrogram (41246 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@teddy_the_god_killer said:

That's Not really true. hulk having UNLIMITED strength ties to him being marvels Personification of Strength, that doesn't make him unbeatable by any means.

What the guy is saying is. Hulk having unlimited strength is not calculable. It has no founding unlike in DBZ. As people like Thor and others don't have set strength, so what does unlimited mean?

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18363 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@theacidskull said:

@teddy_the_god_killer said:

What the guy is saying is. Hulk having unlimited strength is not calculable. It has no founding unlike in DBZ. As people like Thor and others don't have set strength, so what does unlimited mean?

it means that hulks anger could go on forever. but On debates we try to Detriment the duration of time it took hulk to do something to measure how angry he was. we still use FEATS to approximate the levels of his Power.

People can't say " HE'L GET STRONKER SO HE WINZ!", because that wouldn't be correct.

#15 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: thor isnt holding back when fighting a serious threat. so he gets his a** beaten legitimately. now you may come at me and say he jobs a lot. well that can go 3 ways: the writers f*cked up and made him lose to someone really weak, he didnt take seriously and lost (it happens to the best of them) or he really was overpowered by the opponent. throw some fights he lost at me and that you think he shouldve won and we'll go from there.

#16 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer said:

@evilvegeta74: thor isnt holding back when fighting a serious threat. so he gets his a** beaten legitimately. now you may come at me and say he jobs a lot. well that can go 3 ways: the writers f*cked up and made him lose to someone really weak, he didnt take seriously and lost (it happens to the best of them) or he really was overpowered by the opponent. throw some fights he lost at me and that you think he shouldve won and we'll go from there.

lol!

#17 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by teddy_the_god_killer (313 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I like things to be clearly defined. I think the Hulk is awesome but I want to see him getting owned but still giving a good show. I want there to be no way of making it anything other than him giving 100%. Even when he fought Zeus it was not his greatest outing, there was still an excuse or two. Without seeing a character give their all it feels like we are being taken for a ride. I want to see characters maxed and having to find other ways to find a draw, if not win. This is why I begrudgingly like Batman, he has nothing but his brain and wits, he always has to find another way. Going back to the thread though, with Thor it would be difficult to find a situation where he would need to go full pelt. As with so many characters (e.g. Superman) we see so many über-powerful versions what is it worth to see 100%? We have seen Thor with all the whistles, bells and runes do what was previously though unimaginable. Now what? What has he left? Fight the TOAA? Same goes for Superman 10000000000000000 what's left?

Oh yeah if forgot...if gets to much they can always do the hideous thing of a 'Beyonder Retcon' one of the saddest and laziest pieces of plot ever to grace a comic.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18363 posts) - - Show Bio

@teddy_the_god_killer: i can see where you are coming from but that really comes down to character preference yes? i mean Hulk's Thing is that the more he goes, the more likely he will WIN, that's why he should have powerful foes, that's why i want abomination back, or Devil Hulk(Chaos War Version).

but it seems to me that what You like, which is for example batman striving to win, is something that is applied to specific characters. not To characters like Thor, Hulk or Juggernaut :)

#20 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a battle thread or for me to judge whether he wins or loss a battle. The point is what would happen if he unleashed the full scope of his power on opponent. When I say full scope, I'm talking full arsenal, more often than not. As for your belief in him using the full scope of his power I'd say that hasn't been done years. I'd don't know what battles that you believe you witnessed him using the full scope of his powers, but I'd be interested in hearing that!

#21 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: in fear itself. vs the serpent. and his chosen.

Thor calling Mjolnir which flew through Angrir/Ben Grimm chest 's and knocking the Hulk into orbit was not an example of his full power. For the record Thor has said personally that he would never use his full power on mortals. Fighting the Serpent injured using Armor and a Sword was not an example of Thor using his vast array of power. I'm expecting an example like Thor calling upon the wind of a thousand worlds when he defeated glory is a the kind of example I'm talking about.

#23 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: thor would never use such tactics. he prefers the brutish approach. what you want is, i'm sorry if i'm pissing you off, fanfiction.

#24 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: thor would never use such tactics. he prefers the brutish approach. what you want is, i'm sorry if i'm pissing you off, fanfiction.

Nah, I don't let people rent space in my head! Let me know if you come up with something valid though. Oh and for the record he does prefer grinding it out in battle. Thor has also displayed various power levels throughout the years, I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to fanfiction though!

#25 Edited by Fifthchild (623 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just a fanboy/bait question. Thor has "stopped holding back" plenty of times. Most if not all Thor stories involve Thor "not holding back". Those stories wouldnt be worth much and Thor would be a pretty useless hero if he was just like "You know what - I wasnt even trying when that guy beat me up and was going to destroy the Earth because...I dunno."

Thor's a formidable guy, one of the most powerful Marvel characters, in the same class as people like Superman, the Hulk and the Silver Surfer etc but he isn't biding his time, accumulating ass-kickings and defeats while he waits for the right day to "unleash his TRUE power!"

#26 Posted by HaveAtThee (550 posts) - - Show Bio

All of this debating could go on forever with someone like Thor or any other major powerhouse. Their powers and full potential are ill-defined and used in different ways to keep the reader guessing and using his/her imagination. Things get even more complicated when these kind of characters are in a group setting. You could realistically have them overpower a major threat on their own, but that would negate them being in a group with other heroes.

#27 Posted by dum529001 (1654 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just a fanboy/bait question. Thor has "stopped holding back" plenty of times. Most if not all Thor stories involve Thor "not holding back". Those stories wouldnt be worth much and Thor would be a pretty useless hero if he was just like "You know what - I wasnt even trying when that guy beat me up and was going to destroy the Earth because...I dunno."

Thor's a formidable guy, one of the most powerful Marvel characters, in the same class as people like Superman, the Hulk and the Silver Surfer etc but he isn't biding his time, accumulating ass-kickings and defeats while he waits for the right day to "unleash his TRUE power!"

True that.

#28 Edited by Experio (16958 posts) - - Show Bio

Interacting with the mortals of Earth, perspective can be lost when dealing with how powerful an actual God of Thunder is. And that's just what he is: a god. An immortal. He's lived thousands of years.

Thor has to attune his immortal mind and spirit to be able to interact coherently with a mortal world. Indeed, this was exactly why Odin sent him to Earth and gave him his Donald Blake persona: to live like a mortal and understand mortality. It was Thor's purpose on Marvel Earth. Some might think this idea to be apologist in tone, but it's true: Thor does hold back his full power. Here it is spelled out first in Avengers #149

Even when confronted by peers in in power, he still refuses to unleash his full fury against the Dark Gods in Thor vol.2 #4

Even against Gladiator, Thor states his holding back Thor vol.2 #35

But what happens when the you push the God of Thunder a little to far, when you make a clone and use it to attack friends? When you betray his Friendship?When you threaten Asgard using the Government? Iron man felt the wrath of the Thunder God in Thor vol.3 #3. Everything Iron man did had no effect on Thor, his armor was ripped apart as if it were paper and forced him to leave Asgard as it is given diplomatic immunity. As if Tony stood a chance

Even when it is self-proclaimed that Thor throws a full force Mjolnir against Grog the God Slayer in Thor Annual vol.2 #1 to no avail. Notice that even verbiage sometimes isnt true as after getting over his own insecurities, Thor throws again after having enough and this attack was deadly to put the God slayer down

#29 Edited by youmessinwithme (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of his enemies arent even "mortals" of him to hold back, i honestly dont see how Thor would fair any better against Mangog, barring the potential plot of godblasting "inside" his mouth.

Avengers on Earth would have been nothing compared to him earlier , had Hickman not introduced couple of powerhouses, specially Kevin Conner, who drawfs Thor in power regardless of him holding back or not.

Thor has never godblasted Mangog. you are refering to when mangog was in service of Thanos and Thor blasts him with either an anti-force or a thermo-blast in the mouth. and earlier Thor blasts him in the back and it still hurts him badly it just doesn't kill him out right.

as for the Topic his fights would go alot more like his battle with Gorr in the end of the Godbutcher story arc, assuming that Thor's really given it to the point that he's hurting himself he's strong enough to harm elder elemental beings like Surtur with the twlight sword.

#30 Posted by sagejonathan (2014 posts) - - Show Bio

If he didn't hold back, I think the earth might blow up eventually.

#31 Edited by THORSON (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

if he didn't hold back then we would only get like 3 pages of THOR comics. THOR wouldn't need the avengers, he would be the avenger.

THOR would easily destroy earth. Superman, Hulk and maybe even galactus debates would easily go THORs way.

#32 Edited by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall: Well to be fair, Kevin dwarf's every current Avenger in power. Wether it be Hyperion, Thor, or Hulk. Likely even combined. Although Thor should be runner up :P

#33 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall: Well to be fair, Kevin dwarf's every current Avenger in power. Wether it be Hyperion, Thor, or Hulk. Likely even combined. Although Thor should be runner up :P

That was more of less the point i was trying to make. Sure at one time, Thor stopped holding back, he would have towered over most people. Now there are people who would drawf his power even if he held back or not.

Kevin beside, who should honestly be a whole different level compared to everyone else, Thor has some pretty stiff competitor ExNihilo (Building can just commit suicide forcing everyone on the planet to decay and die, thats pretty scary power) , Abyss (whose powers are not much known), Hyperion , of course Captain Universe. Avengers is racking with powerhouses at the moment.

#34 Posted by Fernando072295REBORN (502 posts) - - Show Bio

Well depends on what he stops holding back on. If he stops holding back on his hammer strikes while hitting other heroes, he'd be much more dangerous sure, but still quite containable. If he goes crazy on the exotics, that's where heroes get a problem. Considering he'd sweep the solar system away more than likely with his storms.

#35 Edited by WarBlade539 (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

@experio said:

Interacting with the mortals of Earth, perspective can be lost when dealing with how powerful an actual God of Thunder is. And that's just what he is: a god. An immortal. He's lived thousands of years.

Thor has to attune his immortal mind and spirit to be able to interact coherently with a mortal world. Indeed, this was exactly why Odin sent him to Earth and gave him his Donald Blake persona: to live like a mortal and understand mortality. It was Thor's purpose on Marvel Earth. Some might think this idea to be apologist in tone, but it's true: Thor does hold back his full power. Here it is spelled out first in Avengers #149

Even when confronted by peers in in power, he still refuses to unleash his full fury against the Dark Gods in Thor vol.2 #4

Even against Gladiator, Thor states his holding back Thor vol.2 #35

But what happens when the you push the God of Thunder a little to far, when you make a clone and use it to attack friends? When you betray his Friendship?When you threaten Asgard using the Government? Iron man felt the wrath of the Thunder God in Thor vol.3 #3. Everything Iron man did had no effect on Thor, his armor was ripped apart as if it were paper and forced him to leave Asgard as it is given diplomatic immunity. As if Tony stood a chance

Even when it is self-proclaimed that Thor throws a full force Mjolnir against Grog the God Slayer in Thor Annual vol.2 #1 to no avail. Notice that even verbiage sometimes isnt true as after getting over his own insecurities, Thor throws again after having enough and this attack was deadly to put the God slayer down

This. So this.

#36 Posted by laflux (17551 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk would be BFR'ed in every fight with Thor

#37 Edited by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much no superhero/villain on earth currently can stop him. Except Starbrand and such.

#38 Posted by Thurdazz1313 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

The question being lost guys, Thor at full power, Talking hulk is pointless he never hits the hulk with any of his big shots, even in their physical battles he starts to loss his temper & worries about killing the Hulk. Thor's best attacks of course rarely used currently, God Blast, Anti-force, Dimensional rift attack (rips whole in reality),Unfettered might, Divine , first, or purest (magically based) lightning (said to be equal to ten thousand times normal lightning) in Chaos King he summoned the winds from a thousand worlds, he can atomize objects(alpha particles) & manipulate matter, create anti-matter, create mystic vortex's, control any aspect of any kind of storm has controlled solar storms/flares ,temperal storms, meteor storms, set off planet wide storms, also has manipulated other powers that were weather/storm based powers like X-man's Storm, Sandstorm, Ego's environment . These aren't even all of his powers just some really cool ones that don't get mentioned a lot.. The Reigning story line is a good example. Thor took out everybody! Bringing his A game ,but not destroying local populations He's leveled Galactus twice, drove him off a third time, Has killed or beaten nearly every herald, fought Zues for 30 days strait to a draw, Beaten Gladiator ,Gilgamesh,,& at least two different possibly three Hyperions (alternate reality versions)multiple times. Thor cutting loose would be ridiculous & yet a good read in a sick destroy reality type way.

#39 Posted by thorthorthorthor (40 posts) - - Show Bio

If thor stop holding back, then he might actually hit some street levelers without PIS involved.

#40 Edited by phisigmatau (529 posts) - - Show Bio

If thor stop holding back, then he might actually hit some street levelers without PIS involved.

haha yess

#41 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by THORSON (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

yes.

earth would cease to exist.

#43 Posted by oceanmaster21 (8723 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: when did thor go into wm against gorr what issue was that

#44 Edited by green_skaar (4578 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thor wasn't trying to protect Midgard (Earth) so much, and stayed in space, like BRB, I think we'd see a lot more high end feats and battles. The problem is he can't go all out on Earth w/o destroying the planet, which would be very unheroic!

#45 Posted by Pyrogram (41246 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thor stopped "holding back" the Avengers comics would be boring as he'd solo.

#46 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall: Hasn't it already been stated that mangog is a good bit stronger than Thor ?

#47 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: Dude no Thor is powerful but he isn't ''Can solo'' everything powerful.

#48 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@killemall: Hasn't it already been stated that mangog is a good bit stronger than Thor ?

Well yes that seem to be the case looking at their fights.

#49 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall: I think it is because the only time I know of where Thor beat mangog by himself is in the RAGNAROCK story line where he has the power of the runes and odin force.

#50 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: There is an earlier instance as well, in Thor vol 2 # 25 where Thor beats Mangog by using an anti-force blast inside his mouth.

Apart from that Mangog has beaten Thor plenty of times.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.