Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Idris Elba Cast As Heimdall In Thor Movie

• 64 results
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @SC: Haha, no, I've never watched Home and Away. I'm truly glad I never say him on that show.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @SC: Haha, no, I've never watched Home and Away. I'm truly glad I never say him on that show. "

I wish I could time travel and tell my 12 year old self don't watch that show after school!!! Do your homework to music!!!!  

I suppose I am a hypocrite though, since it was awesome to see Isabel Lucas in Transformers 2 lol
    Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Susanoo

Heim is the whitest of the nordic gods... You wouldn't want a white dude playing an african diety would you?
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Susanoo said:
    " Heim is the whitest of the nordic gods... You wouldn't want a white dude playing an african diety would you? "
    Actually I would love if Black Panther was White.

Just for the lawlz
    Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Susanoo
    @TheCrowbar said:
    " @Susanoo said:
    " Heim is the whitest of the nordic gods... You wouldn't want a white dude playing an african diety would you? "
    Actually I would love if Black Panther was White.   Just for the lawlz"

Rofl then watch angry BP fans and critics rage.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Susanoo said:

The word white has only ever applied to skin color? Nothing else? Its not metaphor? Its not a nickname? Hell I know more big people with the nickname of Tiny than than of Big lol 

Personally I think Slash would make an awesome Sagbata, more than that if the guy making the movie, the director, casting guy, the people spending money on it, thought the best actor for the part of an African deity based out of a hyper flawed comic book version of a mythological character, was a white guy? Who would I be to judge his/their decision bad?  Ain't my money, ain't my characters. Plus is it wise to just pretend all characters are made equal? Some characters skin color are important to the character and the characters around them, and their fans, some characters its not an issue at all. This is where the human though process comes into play. 

You wouldn't want a crappy movie with characters skin color being accurate would you? (I know its not one way or the other just to clarify too lol ^_^)
    Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Susanoo

@SC said:

"

@Susanoo said:
    "

Heim is the whitest of the nordic gods... You wouldn't want a white dude playing an african diety would you?

"
     The word white has only ever applied to skin color? Nothing else? Its not metaphor? Its not a nickname? Hell I know more big people with the nickname of Tiny than than of Big lol  Personally I think Slash would make an awesome Sagbata, more than that if the guy making the movie, the director, casting guy, the people spending money on it, thought the best actor for the part of an African deity based out of a hyper flawed comic book version of a mythological character, was a white guy? Who would I be to judge his/their decision bad?  Ain't my money, ain't my characters. Plus is it wise to just pretend all characters are made equal? Some characters skin color are important to the character and the characters around them, and their fans, some characters its not an issue at all. This is where the human though process comes into play.  You wouldn't want a crappy movie with characters skin color being accurate would you? (I know its not one way or the other just to clarify too lol ^_^)

"

Assuming from the nordic gods presumed appearance, no. Not a metaphor. Trying to complicate this and believing this to be a metaphor will only try to deny this further. 

Would you want a black man to be played by a white man? T'Challa to be played by a white person? I would hate that. Not only me, but so much more people. How about having Spider-man played by someone that isn't in the same ethnicity as him? Morgan Freeman is a fantastic actor but I don't want to see him playing Spider-Man. 

Actually, I do have a problem if they don't pinpoint the character's accuracy. I would be honored if someone like Morgan Freeman played say, me but it wouldn't be right as I'm not dark skinned and such. Same thing for this situation only it's different.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Susanoo said:
    "Assuming from the nordic gods presumed appearance, no. Not a metaphor. Trying to complicate this and believing this to be a metaphor will only try to deny this further. 

Would you want a black man to be played by a white man? T'Challa to be played by a white person? I would hate that. Not only me, but so much more people. How about having Spider-man played by someone that isn't in the same ethnicity as him? Morgan Freeman is a fantastic actor but I don't want to see him playing Spider-Man. 

Actually, I do have a problem if they don't pinpoint the character's accuracy. I would be honored if someone like Morgan Freeman played say, me but it wouldn't be right as I'm not dark skinned and such. Same thing for this situation only it's different."

Why would someone assume the Norse gods presumed appearance? lol Then by doing that state and assert the obvious after they set up che conditions for it? Do you realize the incredibly flawed point you just made by doing that yes? Come on man. (I can break down how fallacious an argument it is if you wish?)

If you find this complicates things (for you) you should just say so, I am saying I know my Norse mythology and my Marvel created mythology for the Norse gods, and I know my Scandinavian history, hell one of my best friends is Norwegian and a lot of people are just plain ignorant on a few of those previous topics. Should we all endorse ignorance because hey? Why complicate things eh? 

Black man? Where did I say black man? African deity from a comic book. Did I say T'Challa? Why make such a horrible strawman argument? My above post already covered you can't and shouldn't compare a character where the character, its creators, its fan consider the characters race important to the character with a character where its not as important by those same people. 

Sure, personally I would have been happy with Donald Glover as Spider-Man, so would have many people, and its easy to see why, Spider-man's race is a distant aspect of the character after, being young, being funny, and being the underdog type nerdish kid he discovers with great power comes great responsibility, him being male probably comes before race as well. I do know, however that its a risky financial venture for movie makers and Marvel to go that route with the character, because just like the money thread you created in off topic, most people really suck when it comes to identifying and relating to characters that aren't rigidly conditioning to their sensitivities. That creative move would cost them money, so their money their decision. Morgan Freeman is obviously too old, for Spider-man, David Bowie is white? I suppose he would make an awesome Heimdall though?  

Then why do you even bother with the comic? Its sucks when it comes to accuracy.  

I would be beyond honored if Morgan Freeman played me. The reason it wouldn't work has nothing to do with skin color though lol, different ages, race has played an important part of my life, but I ain't black, hell I would be okay with a girl playing me, Bob Dylan enjoyed Cate Blanchett playing him, and so we get to the heart of the matter I feel, for you personally some inconsistencies you can't live with but others you can, I am curious as to whether you can see, have the perspective of another who is okay with the change and what's the thing that makes your views incompatible? (I understand why some people have trouble coming to grips with Heimdall being black, but hell if they ain't some strange logic behind some reasons) 
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#59  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

the backlash would have been worse if they had a black man play superman

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I wasn't overly keen on the idea of him being cast has Heimdall for continuity reasons but his performance was fantastic.

Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Full_Spectrum

i think all his detractors just shut up and watched his performance going "holy crap, this is awesome" besides, you see heimdall's face so rarely in comics anyway,it doesn't change much to have him be black. lol

Didn't like the yellow eyes though.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TheThe

This is bullshit. When White people regularly make a whitewashing in  the cast of  movies, nobody complains that much.
    -  Swedish actor Warner Oland portrayed Asian detective Charlie Chan
    -Elizabeth Taylor play  the egyptian queen Cleopatra,even though she wasnt white.
    -Angelina Jolie will played the the egyptian queen cleopatra in the new movie "Cleopatra : a life".
    In almost every rendition of Aida - except for the Heather Headley one- Aida has been played by a white women. Aida is an Ethiopian or Nubian princess.
    -Jake Gyllenhaal portrayed the prince of PERSIA
    -Mr Night Shyamalan made a whitewashing cast in the last airbender :    Noah Ringer as the adolescent hero Aang and other actors in The Last Airbender were casted in minority roles,even though they all were white.  With 'The Last Airbender' you have four Asian/Inuit roles that all went to Caucasian actors.
    -Akira Adaptation :   Although the characters will retain their original names — Kaneda and Tetsuo– from the Japanese graphic novels, the story will be set in “Neo-Manhattan",and the roles will be played by white actors.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The guy's a terrible actor, but he's fine in the movie. He just stands there, talks in a deep voice, and looks bored. The colour of his skin wouldn't have changed a thing.

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By vidarrodinson

Idris Elba was very good in the movie.  I know that Heimdall was considered The Whitest  God In Asgard.   But it is a movie, people.  It's entertainment.  Not  historical.  Not facual.  The  Rainbow Bridge was like Stargate SG-1 almost.  Not like the Rainbow  Sliding Board in the comics.  There was other nationalities in the movie.   Diversity is good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.