I have a bunch of questions about Thor Vol1-3, by Straczynski

#1 Posted by giantarms (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading through these books. I kind of like them, but there's also a number of really annoying things I have questions about.

1. Ok, so we are shown numerous times that Bor was frozen by a spell while chasing a Frost Giant. Odin sees it, and leaves him behind without telling anyone. Later on, they show how Bor relentlessly haunts Odin, and curses him because of what he did to him. BUT! Then later on, Loki revives Bor from the dead, and Bor 'senses' for his son Odin, and realizes he's dead, and thinks he must have died shortly after he was originally frozen. Then he goes nuts, trying to avenge Odin. But this doesn't make any sense!!! Because in Volume1 they establish that Bor knows what Odin did, and is aware of his treachery. Now he conveniently forgets it ever happened? Can someone explain?
  2. How is it possible that Loki has the power to kill, and then revive Bor? Odin is supposed to be immensely powerful, one of the most powerful people in all of Marvel. Therefore, Bor is his father, so he must be as well. So how can Loki possibly be powerful enough to kill a god?
  3. I have not read much Thor, admittedly. Why? Because of this Loki crap. I simply can't swallow the fact that people like Thor and Balder get tricked and deceived by Loki hundreds and thousands of times, yet every single time it happens, they go "Oh well, all is forgiven. Don't do it again!". Then he goes and does it again. Over, and over, and over. So when Loki is revived as a woman, why the heck is everyone even tolerating him? Is there some reason I'm missing? It just completely makes everyone seem like total idiots and undermines all of their credibility.

Now for my big question that I just can't figure out. Is Donald Blake just a normal guy who "contains" Thor? I always thought Donald Blake WAS Thor. Meaning, Thor was just walking around in a human body, but still had the mind of Thor. Just a disguise. But in these comics, it truly seems like Donald Blake is a real individual, and he reluctantly turns himself into Thor whenever he's "needed". Is this true? If so, why does Thor ever revert to Donald Blake? Is Thor just being fair, because he's stolen a human's body and is trying to be nice about it? Can anyone explain this?

#2 Posted by SC (11970 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Oh, later on that was Loki I think. So not actual Bor. Either Odin's own guilt or Loki messing with Odin. Can't recall other than pretty sure wasn't Bor.  

2. Its more about rules of mystic/magic. Think maybe like health and doctors? Can't just randomly give medicine to anyone. Need specific medicine to treat specific illness. Odin may be a more powerful doctor os to speak, but he needs to know what illness Loki gave, and not so easy necessary identifying what? (Like why House episodes are an hour long, since its never Lupus) 

3. Oh, well, I guess its being immortal and also that he is family. Immortality tends to have a funny effect on tolerance.  

lol..... last part is tricky. I'd just say he is Thor but an alter ego of sorts. Aspect of. Maybe like if he wasn't a hero, like a personality you have...... uh. too tired to think smart sorry lol Hopefully someone else can make more sense lol

#3 Posted by giantarms (181 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

1. Oh, later on that was Loki I think. So not actual Bor. Either Odin's own guilt or Loki messing with Odin. Can't recall other than pretty sure wasn't Bor

Odin adopted Loki as part of a deal with his father Bor's spirit so that Bor would stop haunting him for replacing him, unaware that Bor's intention was that the child would bring about his son's downfall.

Nope. It was actually the real Bor, but Loki DID trick him into thinking his surroundings were all enemies. But that doesn't explain why Bor is revived in New York wondering what happened to Odin, and thinking he must have died and thus unable to save him. The real Bor knew that Odin betrayed him. So this doesn't make any sense.

#4 Posted by SC (11970 posts) - - Show Bio
@giantarms: Oh is top part the narration?  

Well if Bor was trying to warn Odin, would he think of is as betrayal? 
#5 Posted by warlord1234 (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

@giantarms said:

@SC said:

1. Oh, later on that was Loki I think. So not actual Bor. Either Odin's own guilt or Loki messing with Odin. Can't recall other than pretty sure wasn't Bor

Odin adopted Loki as part of a deal with his father Bor's spirit so that Bor would stop haunting him for replacing him, unaware that Bor's intention was that the child would bring about his son's downfall.

Nope. It was actually the real Bor, but Loki DID trick him into thinking his surroundings were all enemies. But that doesn't explain why Bor is revived in New York wondering what happened to Odin, and thinking he must have died and thus unable to save him. The real Bor knew that Odin betrayed him. So this doesn't make any sense.

That was Loki not Bor. Loki want back in time and manipulate events.

#6 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

The story was weak. The Wrap was for Thor to be depowered. Use the Odin Force to repair the hammer. They really reached out there to do that. But in doing so, the characters appear weak as well. Only Dr. Strange shined.

#7 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Loki was behind the whole thing, Bor never came to Odin at all. The whole thing was a trick by Loki so that Odin would spare him and take him in when he met him as a child(long and complicated I know). The whole thing with Bor was set up so that Loki would become the adopted son of Odin.

2. Odin never helped Bor because he wanted to rule Asgard, it had nothing to do with whether or not he could do it, he just didn't want to do it. He even told Thor that he did it and that he knew Thor was going to leave him dead and that eventually Thor's son would do it to him Thor as well. It's one of those Asgard cycle things.

3.Thor always defends Loki in the end, whether its because of them being brothers or Thor being written as an idiot for a plot device is up to the reader to determine, but don't forget Thor has smacked him around a few times because of the stuff he pulls.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.