Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

I finally got to see Thor 2

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By z3ro180

It was awesome. By far the best marvel movie to date.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty good but Avengers was much better. Too much Darcy/Selvig/Jane and not nearly enough Sif/Warrior's Three/Malekith.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That movie was a pile of sh!t

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

I enjoyed it. The Thor Loki team up was cool.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HaveAtThee

The one thing I loved was the rather ominous ending.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By z3ro180
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

I loved it, light years better than Iron Man 3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@farkam: No swearing dude

I see tons of people swear on this site. Plus I substituted a lower case "L" with an "I".

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Experio

Enjoyed it

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: still looks like the word.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@farkam: still looks like the word.

I'll just replace the "I" with an exclamation mark, since that's what i've seen a few others do.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman1
    AllStarHit-Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By z3ro180
    deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was very mediocre. Not awful, just "meh".

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By z3ro180

I bet if I made a thread saying it was the worst movie ever I would get a whole thread of people saying that it is a great movie, and most of you would be saying it :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By z3ro180

@haveatthee: I agree. Darcy doesn't really have a point in this movie and severe her purpose at the start. The warriors three and Sif where awesome but need more time. There was enough Malekieth but an extra scene or two wouldn't have hurt. Also I want the whole Jane/Thor to end because I like Sif :) apart from those I stand by my opinion best marvel movie to date.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rewatched it last night. Only good thing about it are the production values.

fero01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was humiliating for Thor! All he did was getting beaten! A Thundergod without significant thunder and lightning scene??

I m so angry!! Sorry for my bad english:)

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WDW

I just watched it as of today...... In my opinion it SUCKED!

It was NOT the actors

The story sucked and the tone was cornball..... It felt like Green Lantern type mess.

If I was going to compare DC vs Marvel movies as of late

I would say

Marvel seems to have a "WHITE HOUSE DOWN" VIBE

and DC has an "AN OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN" VIBE

I would much rather have Olympus has fallen

Same can be said with DC and Marvel when it comes to animation.

The people at marvel are Geniuses for setting up the Marvel Cinematic universe the way they did because even if the movie sucks like this one did people are going to SEE it.

anyway glad some people liked it.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

best part : Heimdall killing a giant invisible spaceship...with knives.

alexandru84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with many, to much darcy, jane and selvig. the end battle was like 2 second scene that shows one hit by mjolnir and after that cut to darcy and the intern for one minute. I personally wanted to see some more thor-mjolnir action. Not like in man of steel for example, cause in the end they dont really surprise you at all with the fighting scene, but at least something more. I mean the Neo agents smith battle in matrix revolution has more action than malekith vs Thor. its only paced fast to give you the impresion of action.

and again Mjolnir the most powerful weapon in the universe is just a joke... I mean, a spear pierced Kurse, come on a f... spear? and mjolnir was deflected as nothing. after that some pointy things kill malekith, not mjolnir. If I were Thor, I would think of buying a lightsaber.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not awful, but pretty disappointing compared to the first one which almost always managed to handle the comic relief rather well. While in TDW the comedy was for the most part pretty poor. Odin's change from noble, benevolent guy to grumpy prejudiced asshole was also not that great but thats what you get when you have a "good guy" who is supposed to be more powerful than the protagonist actually be awake for the entire movie - he has to become a gruff, irritable obstacle to the heroes goals. Same thing happens in the comics.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HaveAtThee

There were some compelling elements to the film but for a film apparently trying to "explore the Asgardian realms" it failed miserably trying to accomplish said task. Asgard looked cooler and more full of life thanks to the real locations that were shot, but that's about it. The reason it was so successful was how appealing Marvel Studios made the film to all sorts of audiences (especially women). My guess is those cuts and retakes months before release were meant to streamline the film and give the viewer a basic plot without much substance. The true success in the story was, again, Loki's machinations throughout, which obviously have large implications for the entire Marvel movie universe. So studio bosses were like "Let's give them Thor and Loki throughout and show Jane/Darcy/Selvig for comic relief and to keep the story 'grounded' on Earth." The idea that a super-amped Malekith with an Infinity stone was defeated by a human science project was also ridiculous.

I do agree with the sentiment that DC has taken the more serious approach to their films, and while some don't appreciate that, I very much like the tone of their films. Marvel is obsessed with injecting too much snarky humor into their scripts, and while it works with some characters (Iron Man, Spider-Man) it's rather obtuse and detracting from others (Thor, Hulk).

Avatar image for kingofthunder247
    kingofthunder247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since we are getting more thor in avengers 2 and 3 and thor 3 i hope they show more of him with lightning and show what he can really do with that mighty hammer.....i love how they make storm powers look cool in the x-men movies.....its like in the first thor movie he was strong and was flipping the hammer all kinds of ways and we got that awesome tornado at the end.......in the avengers he used more lightning attacks but less fightning with the hammer in a cool way like he did on the first thor movie and he was still strong......in thor 3 his offense wasnt that good....and he only use 2 lightning attacks that i can think of which was really cool but we need more thunder and lightning....marvel may just amp his strenght and mljonir powers up these next 3 movies it has to get better from here.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless Thor has to take on Surtur in Thor 3, I doubt we'll see Thor "amped" up in power. That's about as strong as he's going to get (admittedly not very).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Pfffft, the movie was perfectly mediocre, not at all the best Marvel movie to date (in my opinion), even the first Thor was better.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought the movie was pretty good, I agree there should have been more Malekith and too much Darcy and Jane, but I really liked the action scenes and loved the Thor/Loki team-up. Loki was Awesome in the movie.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The criticism here seems remarkably shallow. Honestly, the most pressing issue with Thor: DW / the Marvel CU in general is the fact magic doesn't existin the universe. Which in the case of Thor, a character that literally lives in an extra dimensional (which, yeah - it's been confirmed twice now) city in the clouds - takes away from, for the lack of a better term, the magic of Thor's universe. I'd rather have Hopkins as the nigh-omnipotent plot device in the comics, Malekith as a wizard, Thor going physically to Hel fighting for the souls of mankind against Hela- but realistically - short of a Ragnarok retcon - that's not going to happen.

The second main issue being the film is convoluted - mainly because everything important for the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has to happen in Thor - he's the main lead into the grander plot. Hopefully with GoTG's success, Marvel can start introducing cosmic franchises that can also deal with the big picture so Thor doesn't have to have infinity gems / Avengers 3(+) plot set-up, so the writers can simply tell a centric Thor story - maybe tapping into more whacky enemies like Ego or more recent foes like the God-Butcher (leading into an expansion of pantheons in the MCU).

Outside that - Thor: Dark World was good. Visually it could be argued to be Marvel's best looking movie alone to date and while it relies on the same Deux Ex Machina Avengers did (SELVIG!) to save the day - its a fun mix between LoTR / Star Wars - although partly carried by the interaction between Loki / Thor - that is perfectly enjoyable. Not mention, no-where near as cheesy as the original was at times.

Avengers was better, but that's mainly because of Whedon. The man is a comic fanboy, isn't afraid to call stuff magic and can write a scenes that hit at the core of his characters - scenes like Thor brooding over Mjolnir says an incredible amount about Thor himself without any dialogue or significant time spent on said scene. It's a damn shame DC didn't get him to do his Batman.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's also a fair criticism, the fact that Asgardians have been designated as an extra-dimensional alien race that uses advanced science rather than being mystical beings. Takes a lot of mystique away from the Nine Realms, which the film was supposed to have expanded on. I actually think the fact that Thor (being the only cosmic/off-planet Avenger) is a major player in the larger Marvel film universe is one of the more redeemable qualities about the franchise, because other than that Marvel studios have gone out of their way to make the character "relatable/likeable" by hanging out on Earth so much and feeling responsible for bringing extra-terrestrial threats to the planet. Not to mention having Jane and Selvig be such significant players literally influencing the outcome of large-scale cosmic battles.

When The Dark World was concentrated on Asgard and focused on Asgardian characters (Odin, Freyja, Warriors Three, Sif) I thought the film had clear direction and was doing a decent job of fleshing out these characters, but then the film would cut back to Earth for idiotic scenes involving Jane, Darcy and Selvig. I also think that having one of the Infinity stones be some type of Ethereal virus infecting Jane was greatly contrived to try and give her a larger role in the film other than being Thor's love interest.

Overall I felt the film was stylistically superior to the first and included some great elements (the Thor/Loki relationship, Loki's manipulations and Asgard's importance in Marvel movieverse) but was flawed in many ways plot-wise. Still was more entertaining than Iron Man 3.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By THORSON

it was a great movie.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITs sad how any movie that gets watched sucks for most people nowadays. I suggest for them to stop watching movies.

THOR 2 was a great movie. Your an idiot if you can't see that. Sorry for my arrogance.

susanstormborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MALEfuckingKEITH THE ACCURSED got duped by 2 stupid interns holding tripods. that blew chunks & a half.

The best part was the end. I just like that Loki won. HA! suckitTHOR:P

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the part when thor was getting knocked on his azz! Which was the majority of the motion picture..

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the part when thor was getting knocked on his azz! Which was the majority of the motion picture..

if THOR won all his battles easily you'd still be complaining, so what's your purpose? do you even seek for one?

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: he didnt win any in solo combat..

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It is a good movie.

kingofthunder247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless Thor has to take on Surtur in Thor 3, I doubt we'll see Thor "amped" up in power. That's about as strong as he's going to get (admittedly not very).

i agree.....lol i never understood how it felt for a movie to present someone most favorite character in the wrong way....i use to always say its not that serious...but thor is my favorite character and the limited power is killing me...i understand the pain some fans get now

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee said:

i agree.....lol i never understood how it felt for a movie to present someone most favorite character in the wrong way....i use to always say its not that serious...but thor is my favorite character and the limited power is killing me...i understand the pain some fans get now

Otherwise it would seem too "unrealistic" for a fictitious Norse God to posses unimaginable strength. Have to give the viewing audience some semblance of realism (lol). What's worse, it would seem the only thing Thor can really do is call down lightning, a bit of rain and a tornado when he really gets going.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By THORSON

@thorson: he didnt win any in solo combat..

he defeated melekth. Not defeating Kurse only helped further story with Loki. If you aren't flexible to see these possiblites, then iunno what can help you.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee said:

Do you think its possible to have a very powerful THOR with little to no weakness and have a good, intriguing story?

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By FlashKnight

It was pretty good but Avengers was much better. Too much Darcy/Selvig/Jane and not nearly enough Sif/Warrior's Three/Malekith.

This. It's my second favorite Marvel Studios movie so far.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HaveAtThee

@thorson: Yes. Give the characters a proper writer with imagination and you can get incredible results. Thor's two main fights happened as follows:

vs. Kurse- Fly after Malekith and get sucker-punched by Kurse. Kurse then proceeds to beat the holy snot out of Thor. Thor lands maybe one or two punches which have little effect, but takes quite a beating. This is supposed to be the mightiest warrior in the Nine Realms? Take Mjolnir away and he's a glorified Iron Man. The only thing the entire fight showed is that Thor is quite durable to get pounded on continuously, as well as eat a massive flying boulder to the face, and walk away from it with little more than a few scratches.

vs. Malekith- Aside from the atrocious editing and the whole "jump through realms" bit, Thor throws Mjolnir at Malekith to great effect, and he mostly brawls back and forth, neither gaining any advantage. Half the climactic battle is devoted to showing Selvig and Jane using a science project to stop Malekith and Darcy being saved by the idiot intern. Malekith is wielding an Infinity gem/stone and Thor is carrying Mjolnir. This battle could and should have been MASSIVE.

Again, there certainly are redeemable aspects of the film. Thor and Loki's relationship was a nice part of the plot, as well as Loki's manipulations and Thor again defying Odin. But there are way too many things wrong with it to be considered Marvel's best film.

kingofthunder247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

@kingofthunder247 said:

@haveatthee said:

Do you think its possible to have a very powerful THOR with little to no weakness and have a good, intriguing story?

Well he didnt really have to be very powerful the first two movies since he had lots of help on the avengers.....but for the last 3 i just want more epic lightning battles they could give us atleast one good battle with him and mjolnir.....thats all im asking give me something epic to remember about my favorite character.....something that can out do everything he has done on screen so far.....for asgard.

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Transformaa

@thorson: i said solo..as in a battle without aid...or help from friends..He could not defeat that elf by himself..clearly the building did..not his hammer..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.