Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

How powerful is Thor currently?

• 60 results
    Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Tmul501

I haven't been reading the newest run of Thor, but I have been following the Avengers since Bendis restarted the series. I guess I just wanted to know how powerful he is currently. You can use other characters to explain his feats relative to others (i.e. He's stronger than superman (just and example, don't flip out if this isn't correct)).

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tmul501

No one?

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Thor's hammmer

he is suppose to be as strong as classic Thor but he isn't being written that way
    CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CharlieJade

I know a lot of Thor fans hate and I mean HATE what Bendis did with Thor

Read JMS, Simonson or Kirby, this is as close to perfection as you get with Thor, powerwise and story wise...everything else is downhill from there

Currently?
    Busiek had Superdooper make Thor his little b*tch

growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By growup
    @Thor's hammmer: I think his current power level has been portrayed rather inconsistently. Are you suggesting that he is weaker or stronger than the classic Thor?
    Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Enyalios

Avengers comics are always a bad place to try to guage Thor's power level.  Thor has always been the most powerful member of the team in terms of sheer raw force, but if he is portrayed that way, than why do we need an Avengers when you can just send Thor to destroy everything?   
    In the pages of Thor, he is the single most powerful member of the Aesir by a significant margin,  and generally trumps other beings of similar stature, god or otherwise.  He destroyed Ragnorok (his clone from Civil War supposedly as powerful as clasic Thor) without even breaking a sweat.  I'm waiting to see where the series goes from here, as well as when Hercules returns to see how it goes.  The current run of Thor has been pretty good, though it has actually deviated from the past Thor series in that it does not focus on fights and combat, but is more the story and evolution of Asgard, which I am enjoying.  As a byproduct though its hard to fully rate Thor's powers after he gave up the Odinforce to fix Mjolnir because, except for Siege he has not been involved in that many fights.
    Bendis is the worst writer Marvel has had in years.  I rate Leifeld much higher than Bendis because, while his art was annoying, at least he did not destroy the characters he was charged with.  Bendis took Ares at the hieght of his popularity and turned him into a second class chump, first in Avengers and especially in Dark Avengers.  He is likewise going to do the same to the Avengers, and therefore i have declined in buying it in favor of the other Avengers titles, mostly Secret Avengers as well as Thor's main comic. 
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @Red_Justice:

far weaker read JIM vol. 1 and 2 he was so much more powerful than  

his fight with bor should have destroyed the world or even a chunk of the dimension and done damage to multiple realities
    Omegaman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Omegaman10
    @Thor's hammmer:
    i agree, the fight should have been way more explosive but it barely tore up the city, considering this was thor with odinforce going against odins dad.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

In Thor V3 #3, he took down Extremis Iron Man without trying at all. He is a tough son of a gun. 

When written by Bendis though, continuity means nothing. Hell, Luke Cage and the Thing are apparently roughly equal.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Valtot

yes hes still pretty powerful but not classic thor and its not just thor its all characters there dimming them down a bit for realistic levels

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Son Of Storm
    Didn't feel like making an entire thread for this............

I read on Wikipedia(yea I know) that Thor couldn't control artificial weather. Is this true?
    kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By kheranlord12
    @Enyalios said:

"Avengers comics are always a bad place to try to guage Thor's power level.  Thor has always been the most powerful member of the team in terms of sheer raw force, but if he is portrayed that way, than why do we need an Avengers when you can just send Thor to destroy everything?   In the pages of Thor, he is the single most powerful member of the Aesir by a significant margin,  and generally trumps other beings of similar stature, god or otherwise.  He destroyed Ragnorok (his clone from Civil War supposedly as powerful as clasic Thor) without even breaking a sweat.  I'm waiting to see where the series goes from here, as well as when Hercules returns to see how it goes.  The current run of Thor has been pretty good, though it has actually deviated from the past Thor series in that it does not focus on fights and combat, but is more the story and evolution of Asgard, which I am enjoying.  As a byproduct though its hard to fully rate Thor's powers after he gave up the Odinforce to fix Mjolnir because, except for Siege he has not been involved in that many fights.Bendis is the worst writer Marvel has had in years.  I rate Leifeld much higher than Bendis because, while his art was annoying, at least he did not destroy the characters he was charged with.  Bendis took Ares at the hieght of his popularity and turned him into a second class chump, first in Avengers and especially in Dark Avengers.  He is likewise going to do the same to the Avengers, and therefore i have declined in buying it in favor of the other Avengers titles, mostly Secret Avengers as well as Thor's main comic.  "

I would not say that Bendis is a bad writer but he does have poor perspective  when it comes to characters
    crackerjack82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crackerjack82

My main problem with bendis would have to be he likes to nerf characters, why do you think DC wont hire him, somebody might beat superman, and god forbid that ever happen, or he would make BATs like a human instead of a god 
     His stories are not bad, but what he does to people

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brantumbo

i am glad that im not the only one who is getting seriously annoyed with bendis. he reminds me of a kid going into his friends house, and his friend is trying to show him all of his toys and how he has set them up in certain poses, and bendis just grabs it and turns the toys head around backwards and throws it behind him and moves on to the next set of toys while the kid quickly tries to fix it and put it back. all the series writers must hate him. you can see how much Fraction appreciates and respects bendis killing loki. he resurrected him 4 issues later. i can just see staff meetings now, "alright guys, were going to let bendis kill this person, turn these 8 people into skrulls, resurrect these guys, turn these guys heel, and basically destroy the continuity you have been trying to create for the past 10 months. any questions? good, now go fix it all. and dont contradict anything bendis has said or you will be writing ultimate books faster than you can say unemployment line". 

as far as thor goes, when he was reborn, Straczynski had said that he was writing the most powerful incarnation of thor ever. now i am sure that does not include RLT. thor has since channeled the odin force into mjolnir. but considering some of his feats, i would say that this thor is more powerful than any non-odinforce thor. and if he isnt more powerful, he is at least not holding back more and more often, which he said was the case in thor #3. and since he just killed sentry, i would say that Marvel has just made him the heavyweight champ of the MU. not undisputed, but the champ nonetheless. i would like to see him fight the surfer since galactus made him more powerful in annhilation. but i still think thor wins that.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Valtot
    @brantumbo:
    he didnt take out sentry by himself and sentry was smacking him around for the majority of that arc, surfers shown to take out cancer verse thor like nothing and again later effortlessly blocks his hammer.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#16  Edited By Deadcool
    @Valtot said:
    " @brantumbo:he didnt take out sentry by himself and sentry was smacking him around for the majority of that arc, surfers shown to take out cancer verse thor like nothing and again later effortlessly blocks his hammer. "
     Hell, then what happened?
     Hell, then what happened?
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Valtot
    @Deadcool:
    you should know there was lots of people helping, some big explosions, some amps and sentry was kicking thors ass like easily before all that happened, than thor took him out, so people saying thor could beat sentry as void was funny.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deadcool
    @Valtot said:
    " @Deadcool: you should know there was lots of people helping, some big explosions, some amps and sentry was kicking thors ass like easily before all that happened, than thor took him out, so people saying thor could beat sentry as void was funny. "
    I don't think that Thor could take Sentry, but technically he defeated Sentry all alone, he fought sentry at the beggining,  Bendis explained that it was because Bob wanted to die,  I think also that as always Thor was holding back, once he was defeated bt the wrecker, the next issue he defeated the Wrecker so easy, I can say that reading his current appearences in Thor, The Avengers and Chaos War that he is currently pretty powerful, and he is easily above most of the heroes in the Marvel Universe, I don't know a lot about Silver Surfer current powers, but I think that the current Thor could be his equal or his superior, I need to see his feats.
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Valtot
    @Deadcool:
    current surfer is a galaxy buster and hercules 1 shots him lol
    brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brantumbo
    @Valtot:
    in chaos war thor was not trying to defeat surfer. he was trying to get his attention. surfer blasted him, thor was largely unaffected, then thor threw his hammer and surfer blocked it. but he was just trying to get his attention. and other than the sentry's pattented flying yellow sucker punch in siege 1, there werent many scenes of him slapping him around. and right after that thor smacked sentry into the next county. and in all the comics nobody had ever hit sentry like that. true thor was unloading on him and sentry was taking it like a champ, but as far as sentry handling thor i didnt see much of that. i will agree that i didnt like the writing, and even though i am a fanboy, it should have taken nothing less than a Godblast from thor to take sentry down, not just a massive lightning bolt, just based off the feats sentry has shown in the past. i will give surfer credit for handling beta ray bill twice in Godhunter story arc. bill was once thors equal, but if this incarnation of thor is truly as powerful as the writers say, then bill=thor is no longer the case. before in the blood and thunder story arc, thor smashed surfer and bill at the same time. and then later surfer and warlock at the same time. the entirety of the infinity watch got annhilated by thor, and that was BEFORE he took drax's power gem. he defeated bor, who is odins dad. odin is signifigantly more powerful than the surfer. and all siege long thor and sentry were fighting by themselves. nobody jumped reynolds until the end when loki norn stoned them up. but them that got taken away when he killed loki.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deadcool
    @Valtot said:
    " @Deadcool: current surfer is a galaxy buster and hercules 1 shots him lol "
    ... Why are you talking about Herc?
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hoboseid
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

"In Thor V3 #3, he took down Extremis Iron Man without trying at all. He is a tough son of a gun.   When written by Bendis though, continuity means nothing. Hell, Luke Cage and the Thing are apparently roughly equal. "

Bendis stated that Thor and Ares were the same power levels

@Deadcool said:
    " @Valtot said:
    " @Deadcool: current surfer is a galaxy buster and hercules 1 shots him lol "
    ... Why are you talking about Herc?"

Odin and Galactus wreck Galaxies

Surfer does planets, maybe a solar system. I don't mind Herc beating him cos in Chaos War Herc had ridiculous power and Thor and Hercules double teamed Surfer. This was after Surfer casually dismissed Thor's hammer attack

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator

Thor and Silver Surfer are always generally applied as Marvels two most powerful heroic characters. So how powerful is Thor currently? Roughly as powerful as he has always been, arguably Marvels most powerful character (conventional heroic), about the same level of power as Silver Surfer, which a bunch of other characters that are in the same general vicinity (think Sentry, Gladiator, Black Bolt., Nova etc), and those names tend to fluctuate, but the plot and story will always be the bigger priority, so don't expect any hard stats, for any character. 

Be wary of posters who try and sell you on their propaganda and misunderstanding of many of the Marvel writers as well. I see a lot of false or misunderstood information spread from VS forum, to Vs forum. A lot of people seem rather insistent on facts when this is comics. lol Writers aren't making comics to appeal to VS boards levels of consistency. Also remember these days lots of writers write interviews, which allows you to better draw and understand what they mean with their writing. Small examples as they relate to Thor, in Secret Invasion Thor mini, he was weakened. Not explained in main story due to the narrative style. In Siege, Thor was trying his best to avoid lethal damage to Sentry, so was hold back just a lil. In Chaos War, Glory had the collective power comparable to Odin with every Asgardian's powers on top of his own) (I am sure I don't need to point out that this makes him more powerful than Thor, but of course the most powerful character doesn't always win) hrm, what else... nope, I think thats about it. 

Short answer. Beaucoup powerful. 
    Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Susanoo
    @SC said:
    "

Thor and Silver Surfer are always generally applied as Marvels two most powerful heroic characters. So how powerful is Thor currently? Roughly as powerful as he has always been, arguably Marvels most powerful character (conventional heroic), about the same level of power as Silver Surfer, which a bunch of other characters that are in the same general vicinity (think Sentry, Gladiator, Black Bolt., Nova etc), and those names tend to fluctuate, but the plot and story will always be the bigger priority, so don't expect any hard stats, for any character. 

Be wary of posters who try and sell you on their propaganda and misunderstanding of many of the Marvel writers as well. I see a lot of false or misunderstood information spread from VS forum, to Vs forum. A lot of people seem rather insistent on facts when this is comics. lol Writers aren't making comics to appeal to VS boards levels of consistency. Also remember these days lots of writers write interviews, which allows you to better draw and understand what they mean with their writing. Small examples as they relate to Thor, in Secret Invasion Thor mini, he was weakened. Not explained in main story due to the narrative style. In Siege, Thor was trying his best to avoid lethal damage to Sentry, so was hold back just a lil. In Chaos War, Glory had the collective power comparable to Odin with every Asgardian's powers on top of his own) (I am sure I don't need to point out that this makes him more powerful than Thor, but of course the most powerful character doesn't always win) hrm, what else... nope, I think thats about it. 

"

So much win. :) This is correct.
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Susanoo said:
    " @SC said:
    "

"
    So much win. :) This is correct. "
    pheonixspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pheonixspectre

who cares about thor, we wouldn't stand a chance against Dark Pheonix.
    Zaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zaiyan
    @Thor's hammmer said:
    " he is suppose to be as strong as classic Thor but he isn't being written that way "
    I would put him above WWH and Gladiator. Classic Thor would have beaten Surfer, today the heroes have switched places. Surfer on top, Thor ranked below.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Thor's hammmer

@Zaiyan

Classic Thor did beat Surfer. Current Surfer has had his powers upgraded so it's not just bad writing like most of Thor's more recent short commings.

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vidarrodinson

Yeah, Thor owned  the Silver Surfer during Blood and Thunder arc.  The list included the Hulk, Drax, Warlock, Thanos,  ect...  Thor is above the Silver Surfer.  Always have been always will. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Nobody can answer the question.Classic Thor has better feats but that doesn't mean he's more powerful.More likely it means we just haven't seen what current Thor can do to it's full extent.

jec777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jec777

i think the power level is the same, but the way bendis is wrighting him he makes thor the type of hero who would give the villian the chance to surrender first.  there is nothing godly about him.  he's just strength and a magic hammer.  the look is cool, but the character is lacking the godliness.
    Avatar image for themightyavenger
    TheMightyAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMightyAvenger

I´ve heard that in his new series Astonishing Thor he is being better writen and drawn. So his power levels there should be more accurate.

omegaprimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By omegaprimera

last time i check he had the power of the odin force with is pretty out standing he should be up there with galactus and them.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Kallarkz
    @omegaprimera said:
    " last time i check he had the power of the odin force with is pretty out standing he should be up there with galactus and them.

"
    no.....
    isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @Kallarkz said:
    " @omegaprimera said:
    " last time i check he had the power of the odin force with is pretty out standing he should be up there with galactus and them.

"
    no..... "

In his hammer, thats why the Twilight Sword couldn't damage it for example. Thats a great feat for Mjolnir.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kallarkz
    @isaac_clarke said:
    " @Kallarkz said:
    " @omegaprimera said:

"
    no..... "
    In his hammer, thats why the Twilight Sword couldn't damage it for example. Thats a great feat for Mjolnir. "
    Oh i know a small portion of the odin force resides in mjolnir after dr. strange repaired it a bit back...my comment was aimed towards the Galactus level remark.
    isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @Kallarkz said:
    "Oh i know a small portion of the odin force resides in mjolnir after dr. strange repaired it a bit back...my comment was aimed towards the Galactus level remark. "

Then you are correct, didn't even see that. Galactus at least how he was recently written is way out of a skyfather's league.
    omegaprimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By omegaprimera
    i thought since the odin force  was near limitless power he could compete galactus  

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @omegaprimera said:
    " i thought since the odin force  was near limitless power he could compete galactus  

"

He can't at all.

Doom with Galactus' power kicked Odin's rear without a problem.

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MutenRoshi

I think the general consensus is Thor has been dumbed down, just like Superman got dumped down after the Crisis and just like superman got dumbed down for the cartoon show
    Thor is now weaker than Surfer, possibly lower than Gladiator and fights about as good as Ronan when Ronan has a very bad day

@Valtot said:
    " @brantumbo: he didnt take out sentry by himself and sentry was smacking him around for the majority of that arc, surfers shown to take out cancer verse thor like nothing and again later effortlessly blocks his hammer. "
    The whole problem with the Sentry fight is Bendis has no clue how to write teams and he spent so much time fanwanking a lame character like Sentry anyway. Every issue Sentry would be something new and awesome, he would be the world's best telepath, the world's best molecule manipulator, the wrath of God like Spectre....Sentry's powers and stories never made sense, it was like the writing during the 60s when writers took lots of LSD. Anyway back to the Siege, it was pointless it just blew apart everything JMS was building up. Thor couldn't fight properly, people were killing Thor's fellow Asgardians and Thor could only get punked by Patriot/UFoes and even Taskmaster. Ironman had to rescue Thor's ass by hacking Patriot and dropping a Carrier on Sentry
    When Thor did get the final death blow it made even less sense and Sentry was screaming "kill me" so Sentry fans can argue the only reason Thor won was because Sentry wanted to die anyway.

Thor when JMS was not writing was portrayed at Ronan levels, yeah I know saying such a thing might p*ss off Thor fans but its true. JMS Thor would beat Surfer though
    Bendis Thor was said to be an equal to Ares, Bendis himself said they were the same power level
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @TheMightyAvenger said:
    " I´ve heard that in his new series Astonishing Thor he is being better writen and drawn. So his power levels there should be more accurate. "
    You should read it, if you haven't yet. It's awesome.
    vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vidarrodinson

All of Thor's hammer hurls are not like the Surtur or Jormangand super throws.  Some are like love taps. 
    MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MutenRoshi
    Marvel vs Thor
    Marvel vs Thor
    vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vidarrodinson

Thor is  still  a powerhouse.  Even if he does'nt  have the best script team.   Some characters don't even have known enemies of significance.  You all know what i mean.  Thor has been in there with the big boys.  His power level should reflect that at all times.  His hammer was made to crush skulls.  Not as a sword to parry.  It''s nickname was the crusher.  Any feat that the Green or Red guys do,  Thor should be able to do.  Classic Thor is powerful enough already.  The writers have to be interested in the character also.  The product is the character
    MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MutenRoshi

it looks like he needs space-armor to defeat current Surfer 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for czarny_samael666
    czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By czarny_samael666
    @MutenRoshi said:
    it looks like he needs space-armor to defeat current Surfer 

No Caption Provided
    But it is not because he isn't in classic levels. He still is, but current Surfer stomps Thor level beings (he did it to Thor in last The Mighty Thor, he did it to BRB, he blocked Mjolnir easily in Chaos War and he one-shotted Thor from Cannceverse in Thanos Imperative).
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SC  Moderator

All the writers I have seen give opinions on this differ to most of the posters I have seen give opinions on this. Funny that, I find. I think i'll side with the guys who get paid and I know for sure have taken writing classes and don't get too emotionally invested. 

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Thor is still wounded in his current battle with the Surfer. but still since annihilation Surfer probably surpasses Thor. imo. Post Annihilation Surfer>>>>Thor>>>>Pre annihilationSurfer.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kallarkz

I believe we still have yet to see what Thor's wound is doing to him.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More powerful than Goku.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.