How is Thor the God of Thunder?

#1 Posted by MrShway88 (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone knows that Thor is the God of Thunder, but can he use lighting and other weather based attack without his hammer? I only seen him controling lightening and storms with his hammer. So before Thor had his hammer, how was he considered a thunder God?

#2 Posted by mk111 (3136 posts) - - Show Bio

Because his dad said so.

#3 Posted by ThePhoenX (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to PunkMastaFlex!

#4 Posted by TheGodofThunder (555 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the writer and fans alike. Aaron, the current writer, had mjolnir-less thor use lightning.

#5 Posted by HaveAtThee (444 posts) - - Show Bio

Mjolnir is a weapon to channel Thor's natural innate powers. It also allows him to fly at incredible speeds.

#6 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

"Whosoever holds this hammer, should he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Not the power of Mjolnir, the power of Thor.

#7 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, should he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Not the power of Mjolnir, the power of Thor.

I always interpreted this to be a two-way relationship. Mjolnir has powers similar to Thor's innately, allowing it to act as an amplifier when he uses it. If someone else were worthy enough to lift it, though, their stats would also get a boost and get powers similar to Thor via the hammer's abilities.

#8 Posted by SC (11962 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor can use weather based powers without his hammer. Not only that but there are stories about Thor as an infant who would influence and affect the weather (albeit uncontrollably, creating powerful storms) then again looking at this as him being a fictional character and all based on a mythological figure, well there are lots of other ways of approaching this. He's the god of thunder because his name is Thor, anything else is irrelevant, his hammer could be seen as a part of him, and probably lots more similar ways of linking the two concepts.

Moderator
#9 Posted by Pyrogram (32259 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGodofThunder said:

It depends on the writer and fans alike. Aaron, the current writer, had mjolnir-less thor use lightning.

@HaveAtThee said:

Mjolnir is a weapon to channel Thor's natural innate powers. It also allows him to fly at incredible speeds.

These two answer the thread.

#10 Posted by BigCimmerian (7567 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88 said:

Everyone knows that Thor is the God of Thunder, but can he use lighting and other weather based attack without his hammer? I only seen him controling lightening and storms with his hammer. So before Thor had his hammer, how was he considered a thunder God?

He can control every aspect of weather without Mjolnir. I can show you the scans if you want.

#11 Posted by Park (2961 posts) - - Show Bio

In a recent issue of Thor: God of Thunder young Thor, that is before he was worthy of lifting Mjolnir, summoned a thunderbolt to knock down Gorr mid flight.

#12 Posted by THORSON (2040 posts) - - Show Bio

don't underestimate my father. yes he can control the weather without his hammer.

#13 Posted by New_World_Order (11177 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is :D

#14 Posted by New_World_Order (11177 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a flashback of when Thor was a baby. He almost destroyed Asgard with his weather manipulation, and did it without Mjolnir. I don't get why people think Mjolnir gives Thor weather control.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.