How do Thor diehards feel about Sentry?

• 116 results
#101 Edited by New_World_Order (11159 posts) - - Show Bio
#102 Edited by Thurdazz1313 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me start by saying "Thor's is not an Alien !" He was born on Earth In a cave in Norway, To his mother Gaea The earth goddess, he was then taken by Odin to be trained &. raised in Asgard. "Born on Earth not an Alien! " Now as for Sentry, at the time Joe Quesadsa (probably misspelled) & some others in charge, Hated Thor that's why they killed him off in disassembled story arch & also so he wouldn't be around for world war hulk. So they replaced him w/The Sentry Blond Super powers (but not a god) unfortunately they never developed him that well ,he could have been very interesting battling Void , but he always came off as a Hulk controlling rage knock off, & his powers were all over the place ons day unstoppable the next whinny a girl . After They brought Thor back still , could have made interesting more the like current Thor Hyperion friendship in the Avengers. But They had them fight to the death, I agree Thor should win ,But that fight should have been way more epic. A waste of a potentially great character

#103 Edited by Z3RO180 (5943 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: No Thor is god go read up on him before making false statements

#104 Posted by HaveAtThee (444 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a fan of Sentry, as I think he personifies everything that has been wrong about Marvel superhero storytelling since the Disassembled/Civil War period. He's a walking plot-device and a bad Superman knock-off with psychological problems. I just generally did not enjoy Marvel during that period when the Quesada/Bendis/Millar triumvirate were hell bent on deconstructing everything.

#105 Posted by phisigmatau (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a fan of Sentry, as I think he personifies everything that has been wrong about Marvel superhero storytelling since the Disassembled/Civil War period. He's a walking plot-device and a bad Superman knock-off with psychological problems. I just generally did not enjoy Marvel during that period when the Quesada/Bendis/Millar triumvirate were hell bent on deconstructing everything.

QFT

#106 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Sentry.

Thor is still Marvel's over-all most powerful hero and the Sentry is just another worthy rival.

#107 Edited by Fifthchild (571 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Sentry.

Thor is still Marvel's over-all most powerful hero and the Sentry is just another worthy rival.

I think Sentry is a fair bit more powerful but he is hardly a hero and never really was. Anyway.

#108 Posted by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

They usually disregard stated and restarted facts. Thus is a Thor fan.

#109 Edited by Primebonnick (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

not really that much since i am a fan of both. I do admit that the writers make sentry hate-able at times, but he is still a decent character. So i have no problem that he can beat thor and hulk and vice versa.

Still didn't alot of writers say marvel feels thor is the strongest hero they have since he is a god. Still i guess it depends on how you interpret what you read instead of relying on the authors.

#110 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Sentry.

This and I grow tired of the whole Sentry allowed Thor to kill him. Once again Thor has stated he will not use his full power on mortal, this means Sentry, Hulk , Silver Surfer etc..... Sentry is cool by the way! I don't get why people don't like him Gladiator, Blue Marvel, or the new Hyperion. I keep hearing Superman wanna be, but over in Dc you have Shazam, Martian Manhunter, Majestic, Super boy, Ultramen from different earths, Earth 2 Superman, Black Adam , etc....... Yeah ok! Sentry is cool as is Blue Marvel, Hyperion, and Gladiator!

#111 Edited by phisigmatau (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

I like the Sentry.

This and I grow tired of the whole Sentry allowed Thor to kill him. Once again Thor has stated he will not use his full power on mortal, this means Sentry, Hulk , Silver Surfer etc..... Sentry is cool by the way! I don't get why people don't like him Gladiator, Blue Marvel, or the new Hyperion. I keep hearing Superman wanna be, but over in Dc you have Shazam, Martian Manhunter, Majestic, Super boy, Ultramen from different earths, Earth 2 Superman, Black Adam , etc....... Yeah ok! Sentry is cool as is Blue Marvel, Hyperion, and Gladiator!

those bums are all extremely lame with terrible origins and whacky outfits. I mean look at them they look straight out of the 50's except on 90's steroids with no concern for realism.

Super powerful in multi colored tights... ahh hhow refreshing.

Black Adam/Shazam are closer to Thor then the are to supes
martian manhunter is nothing like any of these guys
superboy, well you got superman, it was only a matter of time with his popularity. You got batgirl and nightwing right..

other then that i agreed with your post =)

#112 Posted by Thurdazz1313 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180:

I said sentry is not a god ,Not Thor . making my point about Quesada Hated Thor, But needed a replacement for Thor & I've been reading up on him for decades

#113 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry had potential before Dark Reign. I knew they were going to drop the ball with him though, as soon as we ind out a character is really powerful, that's the beginning of the end.

#114 Posted by Fifthchild (571 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry had potential before Dark Reign. I knew they were going to drop the ball with him though, as soon as we ind out a character is really powerful, that's the beginning of the end.

Well in Sentry's case Bendis specifically introduced the reality/matter warping powers to make him more of a threat for Siege so it was definitely planned that he was on the outs then. I think Bendis handled the character well though for the most part.

#115 Posted by Z3RO180 (5943 posts) - - Show Bio
#116 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

@fifthchild said:

Well in Sentry's case Bendis specifically introduced the reality/matter warping powers to make him more of a threat for Siege so it was definitely planned that he was on the outs then. I think Bendis handled the character well though for the most part.

He didn't really have to because IIRC he only really used molecule manipulation AGAINST Molecule Man. When the Avengers fought the Void I don't recall it showing up there. Siege & Dark Reign are by far the worst two events i've ever read and I think Bendis poorly handled Sentry and I also think Marvel made a mistake in allowing Bendis to do that to the character. If they were going to make Sentry the bad guy, there are better ways to do it.

#117 Posted by Fifthchild (571 posts) - - Show Bio

@fifthchild said:

He didn't really have to because IIRC he only really used molecule manipulation AGAINST Molecule Man. When the Avengers fought the Void I don't recall it showing up there. Siege & Dark Reign are by far the worst two events i've ever read and I think Bendis poorly handled Sentry and I also think Marvel made a mistake in allowing Bendis to do that to the character. If they were going to make Sentry the bad guy, there are better ways to do it.

He didnt have to do it but it definitely made Sentry more of a threat, to an almost unreasonable degree I suppose. He definitely used the molecular manipulation powers during Siege to nuke Loki but Bendis' essentially retconned things such that Bob was always using the powers more or less. He just usually used the powers to make himself into a Superman with long blonde hair and not a giant monstrous tick or to disintegrate people.

Siege had its problems but I think Dark Reign was one of the best ideas in a long tie and if anything probably could have been pushed for another year or more. Anyway I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.