Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8588 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Hopkins' Odin Draws from Real Life

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

"I don't just play a father, I play the god-father."

Will movie-Odin be this jacked, though?
    Will movie-Odin be this jacked, though?
    The words of Anthony Hopkins, an actor who sounds like he’s thoroughly relishing his role as Thor’s one-eyed papa (ewwww… that sounds dirty) - - the one, the only, the Odin-ly, Odin.

He described the character of the King of the Aesir to the LA Times thusly…

"He's a stern man. He's a man with purpose. I play the god who banishes his son from the kingdom of Asgard because he screwed up. He's a hot-headed, temperamental young man --probably a chip off of the old block -- but I decide he's not really ready to rule the future kingdom, so I banish him. I'm harsh and my wife complains and I say, 'That is why I'm king.' He's ruthless, take-it-or-leave-it. Women are much more forgiving; men are not so forgiving. I know in my life, my karma is, 'If you don't like it, tough, move on.' And I move on. I'm a little like Odin myself."

Odin on the throne...
     Odin on the throne...

A lot of acting methods instruct an actor to dig into himself, find a piece of his own life that relates to that of his character and use the associated feelings as a basis for his performance. Hopkins seems to be a student of that school of thought, as his approach to Thor and Odin’s father/son relation draws from his own relationship with his own father.

So speaks Sir Anthony…

"I'm very interested in that relationship between fathers and son… My father's relationship with me was cold. He was a hot-blood character but to me, cold. When I was young, he expressed his disappointment because I was bad in school and all of that. He didn't mean any harm, but I felt I could never meet up to his expectations."

Guy changes outfits a lot.
     Guy changes outfits a lot.

Such sentiments bode well for my anticipation for THOR. It’s always exciting when actors take these roles seriously enough to pull from outside sources for their performances, rather than base them simply on prior superhero movies. Heath Ledger took cues from Sid Vicious and Alex DeLarge (and Truman Capote and James Cagney, by estimation) to design the Joker’s mannerisms. I also recall Kevin Conroy saying one time that his approach to voicing Batman was originally based on his approach to Hamlet.

What do you think, oh methodical Comic Vine community? Do these blurbs embolden your excitement for the film, too? Or do they make you feel like your liver’s just been eaten with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

anthony hopkins is one of the best actors working today he could make damn near anything great

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DEGRAAF

i love anthony hopkins as an actor and will see the movie just bc hes in it. not gonna lie i wouldve probably seen it anyways but he seals the deal for me
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By the_fallen11
    Awesome.
    Darth Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darth Bane

Anthony hopkins is going to own the role of odin and his appearance might even draw movie goers to see thor even if they dont know what it is about just for him 

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blazed

anthony hopkins is gonna kill it. i keep thinkin bout beowulf, in which he was awesome as well.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By warlock360

i knew he'd play it. i actually mentioned it on an older blog from about quarter of a year ago since he looked pretty damn worthy of the role in the "Legend of the Fall" movie.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Hate to spoil the love-fest but I'm having problems seeing Hopkins as Odin.  It's not because of his acting, far from it, I think he can pull off the requirements of the character's personality, it's his physicality that makes me pause.   Guess I'm being too demanding, but blast it, Odin's a big sum-of -a-beeyotch, Hopkins is not.  Still, it's great he's in the movie and if that helps bring people in to see it, fine, I can live with it.   Movie still sounds like it's going to be great!
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By warlock360

seen wolfman?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I am actually very encouraged by Sir Hopkins comments. I don't think there is a better actor out there that could embody the role of Odin like he can. He just has that aura around him that one needs to play Odin. He might not be the physical specimen Odin is portrayed to be, but in all seeing someone like Hopkins dress down Thor is a much better sense. Showing that Thor and his siblings have a large amount of respect and fear for their All-Father.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By cmaprice

Branagh is one of my favorite living directors. I trust him implicitly with helping these actors find and convey meaning in these roles, as archaic and flamboyant as the characters may seem on the surface.

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MemnochZERO

Mark my words Thor will rule 2011. As a fan of Green Lantern and only a casual fan of Thor, but a fan of great cinema... I can tell you I'm only excited about ONE of these movies... you guessed it; it ain't Green Lantern. Firstly, Kenneth Branagh is not only a fantastic filmmaker but being an actor himself he really understands them too and how to get the best possible performance out of his players. It also looks liek he's taking Thor very seriously, instead of making a gimmicky popcorn flick. As for Anthony Hopkins, he's a lot like Johnny Depp, he may make some bad movies, but he's always perfection.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't know if I'm emboldened, but I'm impressed.  Not only was tat a touching & personal confession, but it also gave away plot! :D

Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Aerik

Anthony Hopkins is an excellent choice. A top notch actor whom I feel will affect those he's working with. Making them better.

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ceniza

so great it's painful. Painfully great.

This movie is so promising,and i like both Mighty Thor and Ultimate Thor so much, i'm getting scared sh1tl3e$$

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Ryonslaught

Anthony hopkins/Odin+ thor movie= me interested :)

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

Chris Helmsworths game will be RAISED considerably by acting alongside Sir Anthony Hopkins.. & to allay any fears people have on the physicality he's a sheakespearan thesp as long as the posture is cool the people who made Vinnie Jones look like 7ft Juggernaut MUST be able to add sum physique to him..tho  dont even think any of thats necessary

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Namor1987

Well good to know that he & Odin have some relation & that he can relate to this character hopefully just as well Downey did to Stark & deliver a grade-A performance

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Sounds very promising, can't wait to see the first pics.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By They Killed Cap!

He will be amazing...especially in viking armor
    The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Psyentist

Anthony Hopkins! Anthony Hopkins!!!! <3

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 4Essence

Incredible!

Casket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Casket

can't wait for it!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.