Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

HEY! Thor was #1 opening weekend…What does this mean?

schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 8

Edited By schmidty207

So Thor was #1 last weekend, earning over $65 million in Domestic sales. When you add in Foreign sales, the movie more than earned back the estimated $150 million spent in making the film.

So what does this info tell us? Quite a bit actually…

1) Movies which the studios question their profitability will make money back faster in theatres with $15.00 ticket prices (3D IMAX theatres). Thor isn’t the first movie that went this way, and there are some movies that could have benefited from this process.

2) A lot of people went to see Thor…a movie based on a character that isn’t well known to the general public. I knew more about Thor than the average ticket buyer, but not as much as I do about Spidey, Supes, Bats, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. I went to see Thor because I wanted to see the next chapter in the evolving Marvel Movie Universe. The philosophy (referencing other characters and plot lines) works in comics, and Marvel proves it works in film too.

3) Most importantly, this proves that movies about lesser known comic properties can make a profit. I’m a firm believer that every character of every comic book company can be written in such a way to make them interesting and worthy of a film, and Thor just makes the point.

So go ahead Marvel – make the damn Black Widow and Ant-Man films! We’ll get in line. Along with Hawkeye, Hercules, Moondragon, Moon Knight, USAgent, Spider Woman…    

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The WeatherMan

Also......... THOR 2!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

it means absolutely nothing. Reaching #1 doesn't really mean anything, other than people watched it. You can be the #1 movie and be awful. Just look at the Tyler Perry films.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Vitality
    @Caligula said:
    "it means absolutely nothing. Reaching #1 doesn't really mean anything, other than people watched it. You can be the #1 movie and be awful. Just look at the Tyler Perry films. "

Yeah...it all depends on the competition.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Martian
    @Chris207 said:

"

So Thor was #1 last weekend, earning over $65 million in Domestic sales. When you add in Foreign sales, the movie more than earned back the estimated $150 million spent in making the film.

So what does this info tell us? Quite a bit actually…

1) Movies which the studios question their profitability will make money back faster in theatres with $15.00 ticket prices (3D IMAX theatres). Thor isn’t the first movie that went this way, and there are some movies that could have benefited from this process.

2) A lot of people went to see Thor…a movie based on a character that isn’t well known to the general public. I knew more about Thor than the average ticket buyer, but not as much as I do about Spidey, Supes, Bats, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. I went to see Thor because I wanted to see the next chapter in the evolving Marvel Movie Universe. The philosophy (referencing other characters and plot lines) works in comics, and Marvel proves it works in film too.

3) Most importantly, this proves that movies about lesser known comic properties can make a profit. I’m a firm believer that every character of every comic book company can be written in such a way to make them interesting and worthy of a film, and Thor just makes the point.

So go ahead Marvel – make the damn Black Widow and Ant-Man films! We’ll get in line. Along with Hawkeye, Hercules, Moondragon, Moon Knight, USAgent, Spider Woman…    

"
    HA!  YA SEE THAT DC?!?!?  YOU CAN TOTALLY MAKE A MOVIE THAT ISN'T BATMAN, SUPERMAN, OR GREEN LANTERN!!!  HERE'S PROOF!!!  NOW MAKE YOUR GODDAMN FLASH, WONDER WOMAN, GREEN ARROW, AQUAMAN, AND SHAZAM MOVIES ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

I really really hope they can put 'Avenger' somewhere in the title for the Ant-Man movie for it to do well because people know him way less than they do Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't say the initial #1 position means absolutely nothing.  #1 does mean something, but I agree that it doesn't mean all that much these days, especially if the other films aren't that hot.  If it stays there week after week, in spite of expected new blockbuster titles, that will mean a lot more.  In the end, the final box office sales will tell.

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vidarrodinson

The people at Disney are counting the money.  For the first week results. Thor did better than both Hulk and Fantastic Four movies.  Three Of the X-Men (5 total) fell to the Odinson.  The promotions  brought in the curious movie goers.  Good   Stuff.        
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Loki9876

there should be atleast an ant-man, hawkeye, black panther, doctor strange and possibly a moon knight and S.H.I.E.L.D. MOVIE IN THE making

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

cuz Thor was awesome.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Baddamdog

it means Green Lantern better bring it

schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By schmidty207

I understand what some are saying about the fact that the #1 spot is fluid, and you're right. It is very likely that Thor won't last long there or even in the top five.

My other point was that between foreign and domestic ticket sales, Thor made it's money back as of yesterday. So every ticket sold going forward is gravy. This means that Thor is a money maker, regardless of whether or not it makes "blockbuster" status (a process I don't understand). Since this is ture for Thor, it is very likely that Marvel movies based on other lesser known characters can still be lucrative, even if they don't hit the #1 spot.

But it sure was damn nice to see Thor hit it!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.